Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- hwriggles4: If religious education volunteers and paid staffers are required to attend, they would probably fall asleep during several sessions. If this were me, I would read Daniel Mattson...
- Amy McSween: Where is the Cross? Where is our Lord?
- Amy McSween: A child has a right, in normal circumstan ces, to his or her mother. Jennifer Roeback Morse has devise excellent rhetorical counterpoi nts to the usual “don ’t judge...
- WmHesch: Under the old rules, New scapulars did not need to be blessed (with the sole exception of the Trinidaria n until Leo XIII). This is because it’s the ENROLLMENT that carries over from one...
- Michael: This company from Michigan makes excellent Scapulars that are both strong and long-lasti ng. Plus, proceeds go towards the formation of religious. The scapular comes with the rite of...
- ChesterFrank: When initiated into the brown scapular in grade school, I recall getting one of plastic with inserts for paper cards. Are the real ones really that much more expensive? Handing out...
- IRATVS MAXIMVS: Here’ ;s what I do when, for instance, I have to stay up late or travel on fridays and eating meat at 00:01 feels hypocritic al: I fast from the time I wake up on (local)...
- majuscule: Some years ago I bought one from the person mentioned by Cicero_NOL A. They are a hand embroidere d work of art. If you are looking for a “hair shirt” effect, one of these would not be...
- ChesterFrank: Does this classify as a satanic ritual? [Not in a formal sense. But I cannot help but think that demons revel in this. Remember: demons can attach themselves to those who commit...
- Dan: The first sign that this was going to go south were the giant projection screens at the front of the parish. I didn’ ;t even have to click the link to the bulletin to know they called...
- aquinasadmirer: This post only prompts follow-up questions, and alas no answers.. What would happen if either Abp Hebda or Cozzens would regularly concelebra te Mass there for a year? Perhaps...
- Georgemartyrfan: The bulletin also mentions gluten-fre e Communion is available. Valid? [So long as there is a tiny amount, even very very small, the matter would be valid. Of course who knows what...
- Mark: I feel sorry for the child. He’s an innocent victim in all this. I will pray for him, and for his “dads”, that they may come to know the love of Christ and His truth.
- Jacob: Father Z, what do you think of the new, abbreviate d rite for initiating someone into the Brown Scapular? I have been wanting to start to wear one for awhile, but am hesitant due to questi...
- rwj: To any bishops and chancery staff: please never think you can overlook this stuff when it first reported. Act decisively and quickly. The longer it goes on the bigger monster you have. Now...
- Amy McSween: Seriously though, Some of us reside in Parishes where the priest would look upon the scapular as voodoo. I do… I was lucky, I was enrolled at my first communion. I ask my child...
- deaconjohn1987: Autom.com has a variety of Scapulars like this one: https://ww w.autom.co m/product/ brown-wool -scapular- 12-pk-VC12 0 Btw, I wear a Brown Scapular, never take it off even in the...
- OrdinaryCatholic: Ever since the first abuse stories began to surface in the ’80s and until only recently I have always wondered why the majority of bishops/pr iests never called a spade a...
- Christ-Bearer: There is the opposite possibilit y of course. We once flew from Rome to the US West Coast *on Good Friday*. It was about a 36-hr day for us. No one complained about fasting from...
- Cicero_NOLA: Friends of mine attest to these scapulars, as well: https://ww w.etsy.com /shop/Stel laMarigold Art
- William: I think we need to get more modern on our indulgence s and penances. A partial indulgence shall be gained by praying for the safety of travelers while on a flight to Australia from Europe...
- SKAY: I agree Gab. I think that Archbishop Vigano has done exactly the right thing. A private letter would do nothing. These guilty men have done untold damage to the Church, their victims and the...
- Sonshine135: From what I could see of the crowd in the video, there wasn’ ;t a person under the age of 70. This stuff is in its death throes thank the Lord. Pantheism at its finest. These are...
- FN: I will pray for all these intentions . I can gratefully report that my father-in- law, who has advanced lung cancer, has stunned the doctors since you all began praying for him! He is health...
- SPWang: I hope they don’ t have any turbulence … https://ww w.youtube. com/watch? v=B5Q3VtJQ zVg
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- Scandalous parish in @ArchdioceseSPM – public celebration of homosexuality, IVR and surrogacy
- ASK FATHER: Where can I get good Brown Scapulars?
- ASK FATHER: Friday penance on flight across International Date Line
- Public penance and public reparation
- Card. Mahony to speak at the Three Days of Darkness
- UPDATE: “the finest rosaries I’ve ever seen” with a new site
- SOS! New Chant Collection: Prière pour temps de détresse … Prayer in time of distress, suffering, urgency… SOS Chant
- ASK FATHER: St. Gertrude’s Prayer and releasing 1000 souls from Purgatory
- YOUR URGENT PRAYER REQUESTS
- When tweets become problematic
- 4th Letter from Archbishop Viganò
- 14 January – Happy Feast of the Ass!
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- ASK FATHER: Standing on altar to change sanctuary lamp.
- ASK FATHER: Feasts of new saints in the Traditional Latin Mass
- Good points in Lawler’s recent book: The Smoke of Satan…
- Two cordial warnings to readers
- ASK FATHER: Excessive pious gestures during Mass
- WDTPRS – Holy Family (1962MR): Families not of blood
- ASK FATHER: Can we use the Breviarium Romanum published by the SSPX?
- FOLLOW UP on Gluten and Celiac post
- ZMIRAK: Hawaii Sen. @maziehirono Is Right. We Must Intern the Knights of Columbus in Camps
- ASK FATHER: Gluten-free madness the work of the Father of Lies?
- Of desecration of liturgy and identity. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- NEW BOOK from William R. Forstchen. “Sauron’s Eye” is about to kill everything on Earth.
- Fun about a box of stuff, a papal tomb and ancient reading glasses (“cheaters”)
- BOOK RECEIVED
- ASK FATHER: “I’m seriously considering adopting some form of sedevacantism”
- ASK FATHER: Advice about homeschooling and High School
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Tag Archives: Martin Luther
It seems appropriate to post this today. I recently received a hardback copy of a new book about Martin Luther by Richard Rex (“King”), professor of Reformation history at Cambridge. The Making of Martin Luther (Princeton Univ. Press, 2017) US … Continue reading
One priest in an email to me referred to this as a “tour de force” about Protestants and Martin Luther. All I can say is… “Whew!” Go to Crisis and read “Calling a Spade a Spade” by Angelo Stagnaro. Sample: I … Continue reading
Beautiful new painting: “St Pius V and St. Charles Borromeo defending Catholicism against Islam and the Protestant Heresy.”
Even as I repeat my plea to everyone on our side of the continuum to work together – amicably and patiently – at Rorate I found a wonderful image of a beautifully painted modern canvass. They picked it up – felicitously – … Continue reading
Let me start with a great quote from what will follow… Amid today’s confusion, [… many people…] believe the Pope is infallible when he speaks privately, but then when the Popes throughout history have set forth the Catholic faith, they … Continue reading
May I say from the onset that I have some spiffy Pope Clement XIV gear? HERE Here is the Martyrologium Romanum entry for great saint, the founder of the Society of Jesus. (To the right is my first class relic … Continue reading
As you may know by now, the Catholic Herald is the UK’s best Catholic weekly. This week in the print and online digital edition there is a review of a new book – released in time for this year’s LutherFest! … Continue reading
I received a note from priest friend. He included a PDF of an article to be published. Here is the synopsis: Synopsis: A close analysis of Kasper’s book on Mercy reveals a powerful embrace of Luther’s theology of grace and … Continue reading
Yesterday I heard that the Vatican Post was to issue a commemorative stamp honoring Martin Luther. HERE To honor someone who so publicly ripped asunder the fabric of Christendom is appalling. Who’s next? Judas Iscariot? This is like: Augustus Caesar minting … Continue reading
I had an email from a Portuguese blogger, with the interesting site, Senza Pagare. He has a post about 50 of Luther’s ideas which are against the Catholic Faith. Also, recently in Rome, he told me about a vision of a … Continue reading
As a former Lutheran, I won’t look forward to Catholic-Lutheran hoopla in 2017. I, for one, won’t celebrate theological revolt and the shredding of the fabric of Christendom. A must read is to be found at Crisis from the keyboard of Fr. George … Continue reading
Everyone should rush to read what Andrea Gagliarducci contributed in his latest Monday Vatican offering. HERE Using as a springboard a new book in Italian on Luther by Angela Pellicciari, (not in English yet – Amazon USA HERE UK HERE – … Continue reading
The brilliant Fr. Hunwicke has a keen eye. To wit: Learning from Luther Cardinal Marx believes in learning from Luther. Today, Rorate publishes a nice early engraving of Lutherans receiving Holy Communion into their mouths, and kneeling. Nuff’ said. Here … Continue reading
Robert Mickens has shared the angst of his publication The Tablet (aka The Bitter Pill) about a piece of clothing. Not just any clothing, papal clothing. Pope Benedict, Yes, Benedict XVI wore over his choir dress a stole decorated with … Continue reading
Benedict XVI with Lutherans in Erfurt: “It is not strategy that saves us and saves Christianity, but faith.”
During his State Visit to Germany, the Holy Father gave this address at Erfurt during an ecumenical gathering at the Lutheran church. Erfurt is, of course, where Martin Luther’s Augustinian convent was. A highlight: Faced with a new form of … Continue reading