Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, come here first!
Enter Amazon through my search box and I will get a small percentage of what you spend. (Pssst - Can't see the search box? Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
PS: I added Amazon Search Boxes for the UK and for Canada at the bottom of the blog page. Copy and paste titles I mention into those boxes and - BAZINGA! - results appear as if by magic. Kindle? HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
PLEASE HELP with a TAX DEDUCTIBLE DONATION for new sets of Pontifical Vestments for the Extraordinary Form in WHITE and… BLUE!
Thanks to: JD!, MH!, Fr JZ!, MP, Fr AS, AS!, GG wow!, RH, DH, TP, TP, BC, CU, AC, AW // DK // JB // JL! // DY!!!!! // ARG! (check), EB! // SK, WH // BC // MH, JD!, MM, TH, JJ // LP!, DW wow!, AM!!!!!, MH, MM!!! // JL // TS!, AR! TD! // MH, TC // C&BH // JC!, MMac! // KK SK // MT // MR!, JK!, WR!!! // CD'A // GB! LP, NDeC, TG, EW!, JK, JM! // CC // DH, WK. JS // PW // DSD, KS, TB // CM, AW, AW // MS, Fr. RS // LP, MT!!!!!, SG, PM, NBW, RK // LT, BR, CU, BM, PR
“The liturgy is the principal organ of the Church’s Ordinary Magisterium.”
- Pius XI
If my people who are called by my name humble themselves, and pray and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.
- 2 Chronicles 7:14 RSV
Card. Sarah’s new book, Le Force du Silence (US HERE – UK HERE), hitherto only in French, is now available to PRE-ORDER in ENGLISH. It will be released on 15 April. A great reading gift to yourselves or friends.
US HERE – UK HERE
CLICK and say your Daily Offering!
"We as Catholics have not properly combated (the culture) because we have not been taught our Catholic Faith, especially in the depth needed to address these grave evils of our time. This is a failure of catechesis both of children and young people that has been going on for fifty years. It is being addressed, but it needs much more radical attention... What has also contributed greatly to the situation is an exaltation of the virtue of tolerance which is falsely seen as the virtue which governs all other virtues. In other words, we should tolerate other people in their immoral actions to the extent that we seem also to accept the moral wrong. Tolerance is a virtue, but it is certainly not the principal virtue; the principal virtue is charity... Charity means speaking the truth. I have encountered it (not speaking the truth) many times myself as a priest and bishop. It is something we simply need to address. There is far too much silence — people do not want to talk about it because the topic is not 'politically correct.' But we cannot be silent any longer."
Raymond Card. Burke
Art by D Burkart
- Nan said ASPM Sem, it isn’t always as clear as that....
- Fr. Kelly said frjim4321 says: It’s so hard to know if this e...
- Charivari Rob said Thank you, Charles E. Flynn
- Sword40 said Oops, sorry for the misspelled word. It’s su...
- Sword40 said I’ll add my ooo’s and ahhh’s to...
- stuart reiss said Fabulous! Great photos too.
- jaykay said “Or maybe I’m misunderstanding what you mean...
- acardnal said frjim wrote, “It’s so hard to know if this e...
- Andreas said Frjim4321 wrote, “It’s so hard to know if th...
- Fiat Domine said Un-ionized – Thank you very much! That was...
- jaykay said “It’s so hard to know if this event does any...
- pjthom81 said Now wouldn’t it be beautiful if she announce...
- Tina in Ashburn said This is so very encouraging. We are getting a resp...
- frjim4321 said It’s so hard to know if this event does anyt...
- Fr. Kelly said This news is a shot in the arm to those of us who...
- LarryW2LJ said Regarding the photo – just remember, the Arc...
- Chris Rawlings said Is that a serious question, Mike?
- TimG said Great news! Need to spread it far and wide so that...
- Venerator Sti Lot said Meanwhile, Dr. Williams notes, “Francis gave...
- Benedict Joseph said Good news. Good news. May it find its parallel in...
- Legisperitus said Most welcome development. Now, if someone will onl...
- benedetta said This is deeply consoling to me personally, and I t...
- corm_corm said “Three dalmatics with 1 deacon’s stole and m...
- juergensen said Ironic that the first sitting White House official...
- Charles E Flynn said @Charivari Rob, McGurn, William. Wall Street Journ...
- rhhenry said Changing the text before official publication woul...
- Makemeaspark said This is completely awesome!
- Charivari Rob said What paper is this from, please?
- majuscule said I’m so glad to see Kellyanne in the spotligh...
- Kelly Ann Conway, The March For Life, SCOTUS, Roe v Wade | Fr. Z’s Blog | Deaconjohn1987's Blog said […] Source: Kelly Ann Conway, The March For...
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee) and Norcia (beer)!
- Aedificantium enim unusquisque gladio erat accinctus.
- Nehemiah 4:18
"Where priest and people together face the same way, what we have is a cosmic orientation and also in interpretation of the Eucharist in terms of resurrection and trinitarian theology. Hence it is also an interpretation in terms of parousia, a theology of hope, in which every Mass is an approach to the return of Christ."
Joseph Ratzinger - The Feast of Faith"In those situations where homosexual unions have been legally recognized or have been given the legal status and rights belonging to marriage, clear and emphatic opposition is a duty. ... If all Catholics are obliged to oppose the legal recognition of homosexual unions, Catholic politicians are obliged to do so in a particular way, in keeping with their responsibility as politicians." CDF 2003
One of the most dangerous errors is that civilization is automatically bound to increase and spread. The lesson of history is the opposite; civilization is a rarity, attained with difficulty and easily lost. The normal state of humanity is barbarism, just as the normal surface of the planet is salt water. Land looms large in our imagination and civilization in history books, only because sea and savagery are to us less interesting. — C. S. Lewis
Ham Radio Stuff
Fr. Z - W9FRZ - OFF
QRV on: 00m 00000
Check Echolink WB0YLE-R - OFF
"One of the few things in life you can be absolutely sure about is that, if Management tells you it doesn't like your Tone, you are getting something right."
"Latin is a precise, essential language. It will be abandoned, not because it is unsuitable for the new requirements of progress, but because the new men will not be suitable for it. When the age of demagogues and charlatans begins, a language like Latin will no longer be useful, and any oaf will be able to give a speech in public and talk in such a way that he will not be kicked off the stage. The secret to this will consist in the fact that, by making use of words that are general, elusive, and sound good, he will be able to speak for an hour without saying anything. With Latin, this is impossible."
- - Giovanni Guareschi
Support them with prayer and fasting.
Help the Sisters. They have a building project. Get great soap (gifts, etc.) while helping REAL nuns!
Some OBLIGATORY reading…
Leave Voice Mail for Fr. Z
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Check out the Cardinal Newman Society feed!
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…... and there will be nearly 1,000,000 page loads this month.
A great hymnal…
Mystic Monk Coffee also has TEA!
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
My wish lists
Food For Thought
“The legalization of the termination of pregnancy is none other than the authorization given to an adult, with the approval of an established law, to take the lives of children yet unborn and thus incapable of defending themselves. It is difficult to imagine a more unjust situation, and it is very difficult to speak of obsession in a matter such as this, where we are dealing with a fundamental imperative of every good conscience — the defense of the right to life of an innocent and defenseless human being.”
- St. John Paul II
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
A morsel for thought…
"If your work is strong enough for someone to hate you, it's strong enough for someone to love you. The middle is what you should fear."
- Sean McCabe @seanwes
- REACTION: HBO’s The Young Pope
- Kelly Ann Conway, The March For Life, SCOTUS, Roe v Wade
- Solemn Mass Green Eye Candy
- Is ‘Amoris laetitia’ compromised because of ghostwriter plagiarism?
- ASK FATHER: Can absolution be granted when no purpose of amendment exists?
- Canonist Ed Peters on The Maltese Fiasco
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- WDTPRS – 2nd Ordinary Sunday (NO) & 2nd after Epiphany (TLM): We are beggars
- IMPORTANT: Interview with Card. Caffarra about the Dubia and ‘Amoris laetitia’ confusion
- ACTION ITEM! Pontifical Vestments Fund Raising UPDATED!
- 14 January: Happy Feast of the Ass!
- Ninevah 90 starts 13 February
- RECENT POSTS and THANKS to readers, benefactors
- Italian Archbishop: “In 10 years we will all be Muslims because of our stupidity.”
- Maltese Bishops Go To The ‘Amoris laetitia’ Zoo: Disaster… inexcusable nonsense… green-lighting sacrilege
- Paul Ehrlich to speak at the VATICAN?
- ASK FATHER: Diluting Holy Salty Water… Salty Holy Water… just plain Holy Water
- Never underestimate the power of an invitation
- Pope Francis, Freemasonry, 2017
- The knock on effect of small acts performed with love
- UPDATED Send snail-mail Christmas Cards to Fr. Z – 2016
- URGENT PRAYER REQUEST
- A serious Catholic way to “accompany” the sinner?
- Damian Thompson on Pope Francis
- Background support for the Five Dubia
- ASK FATHER: “I was filling out a family liturgical calendar and got to thinking…”
- Magister: Comments on the state of the Curia
- Card. Burke’s interview in ‘La Verità”: More Cardinals are completely with the Four
- St Paul – Argument Of The Month – Live Stream
- Order of Malta to Pope Francis: No thanks.
For your consideration…
"One of the most dangerous errors is that civilization is automatically bound to increase and spread. The lesson of history is the opposite; civilization is a rarity, attained with difficulty and easily lost. The normal state of humanity is barbarism, just as the normal surface of the planet is salt water. Land looms large in our imagination and civilization in history books, only because sea and savagery are to us less interesting."
- C.S. Lewis
More food for thought:
“I expect to die in bed, my successor will die in prison and his successor will die a martyr in the public square. His successor will pick up the shards of a ruined society and slowly help rebuild civilization, as the church has done so often in human history.”
Francis Card. George
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Please follow me on Twitter!
- "It will never be known what acts of cowardice have been committed for fear of not looking sufficiently progressive."
Charles Pierre Péguy Notre Patrie, 1905"If I ought to write the truth, I am of the mind that I ought to flee all meetings of bishops, because I have never seen any happy or satisfactory outcome to any council, nor one that has deterred evils more than it has occasioned their acceptance and growth."
St. Gregory Nazianzus ep. 131 - AD 382“We will conquer your Rome, break your crosses, and enslave your women. If we do not reach that time, then our children and grandchildren will reach it, and they will sell your sons as slaves at the slave market.”
Reading and gift ideas!
Tag Archives: martyrdom
A couple weeks ago I wrote that I suspected that Fr. Jacques Hamel was martyred, murdered in Northern France by Islamic terrorists, and that it wouldn’t surprise me were the Pope to speed up the process. During the presser on the airplane returning … Continue reading
I like this story. From CNA: This sword-wielding Samurai just moved closer to sainthood! Vatican City, Jan 23, 2016 / 04:02 am (CNA/EWTN News).- The martyrdom of a 16th-century Samurai who died for his Catholic faith was approved this week … Continue reading
Today we might contemplate the various ways in which the State is encroaches in our lives and tries to force us to do things that are repugnant to nature and to God’s laws. Today is the feast day of a saint, … Continue reading
I am not sure if this is true or not. That said…. From ABNA24.com: ISIS Beheads Iraqi Priest in Mosul According to locals and eye witnesses, ISIS beheads an Iraqi priest who captured him 7 month ago. Local says ISIS militants … Continue reading
In one story about the arrest of the man suspected as the murderer of Fr. Kenneth Walker in Phoenix, I read this: PHOENIX (CBS5) – The person who brutally attacked two Phoenix priests might have a lot of anger toward … Continue reading
Over at Vultus Christi, which I check every day, dom Mark posted a disturbing quote from St. John Chrysostom’s On the priesthood: All men are ready to pass judgment on the priest as if he was not a being clothed … Continue reading
I have been spot reading in John Allen’s new book, The Global War on Christians: Dispatches from the Front Lines of Anti-Christian Persecution. Along the same line, I saw this at CNS: Sen. Paul: ‘Worldwide War on Christians is Being Waged … Continue reading
I am catching up on the news. To my horror I saw a story at Vatican Insider, to my knowledge only in Italian at this point, wherein the the Syrian Melkite Greek Catholic Patrairch, Gregorios III, revealed during a visit to … Continue reading
From a reader: I know that the Church teaches that people that die in a state of mortal sin cannot go to Heaven. However, can martyrs killed in a state of mortal sin still go to Heaven? Excellent question, and … Continue reading
Preambles: Homosexuals often commit the most physically brutal crimes that the police see. [UPDATE: Some people in the tweetosphere are having a spittle-flecked nutty about the sentence I wrote, above. At least I think that is why there is a … Continue reading
Just in case you were tempted to FORGET… From The Blaze (not the only source… there are videos…: CATHOLIC PRIEST ALLEGEDLY BEHEADED IN SYRIA BY AL-QAEDA-LINKED REBELS AS MEN AND CHILDREN TAKE PICTURES AND CHEER Syrian Catholic priest Francois Murad … Continue reading
Over at the National Catholic Register, Matthew Archbold has this sobering observation: Preparing my Children for Martyrdom I was looking at my children in Mass yesterday and a horrifying thought occurred to me. If I do my job well as … Continue reading
Each day I like to read the entry in the Martyrologium Romanum. Today there are several entries which could be the staring points for discussions of holiness and salvation. Let us consider this one: 3. Augustae Vindelicorum in Raetia, sanctae … Continue reading
I have been waiting for the video of the closing “liturgy” of the L.A. Three Days of Darkness … Religious Ed Congress. In looking for it, I found a video of a talk by my friend the nearly ubiquitous John … Continue reading
A Lent Symposium will be held in Detroit on Saturday 10 March with the theme ‘The Christian Vocation: The Call to Martyrdom’. Card. Burke will speak on Christian Martydom. Bishop Bernard A. Hebda, of Gaylord, MI, will speak about White … Continue reading