Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Kenneth Wolfe: “Why were so many journalist s willing to let the rumors go unexplored ?” Ditto for Newark Cardinal “Nig hty Night, Baby. I love you.” ; Has anyone in the...
- MrsMacD: I recently heard that Bella Dodd, an American that was a member of the Communist Party before Bishop Sheen brought her into the church, said that they had put over a thousand young radic...
- jbazchicago: What is egregious is that there was no reason to remove our pastor in the first place̷ 0;. Bishops hide behind the term “cre dible evidence 8221; because they will never...
- Mike in VA: I think that this: http://wdt prs.com/bl og/2018/03 /really-ba d-news-fro m-st-john- cantius-in -chicago-s jcantius/ is the link you wanted. The current link is to an article from 2013.
- Anita Moore, O.P.(lay): Isn’t the lack of response itself a response?
- tho: It makes me shudder to think of any innocent person trying to overcome the presumptio n of guilt, especially a priest who in the past was held in such high regard. Since VII we have such a run...
- dbonneville: Bring a camera crew, and have Burke knock on the door, and hand deliver an envelope called “Cop y of the Dubia̶ 1;. In short, just redeliver said Dubia.
- Geoffrey: @Atra Dicenda, Rubra Agenda: My understand ing is that it has to do with the clerical state, which formerly began with the tonsure. Today, the clerical state begins with the diacona...
- Ave Maria: I never thought he was guilty of any wrong doing. I do, however, think that whoever dreamed up this persecutio n is guilty of a terrible sin of calumny. And the instant trashing of the...
- Fr. Kelly: I am with you Atra Dicenda, Rubra Agenda The response from PCED that Kenneth Wolfe cites does not mention Straw subdeacons . In answer to the question: May a layman who is not a semina...
- RichR: Very good news, but it leaves the reality of Church politics untouched, and that is: A priest is presumed BY HIS OWN DIOCESE to be a child predator unless proven otherwise. It is shame...
- bobbird: I AM stupid. When I initially read PF’s comments about “fir st reading about it in the newspapers … a way of doing things that is, let’s say, not ecclesial, but we all...
- JesusFreak84: I’d rather be at Acton, but I’m at what I’ll call a “pro fessional developmen t conference ” in the same city.
- SKAY: I think China is doing a lot more than we are aware of. I did read an article that they are planning to go to the moon and set up something on the dark side.
- SKAY: Thank you for the reminder about this book, Father Z. I have ordered it. These people never give up. I agree with your comment cwillia1. It is interestin g to know who the American Commun...
- Atra Dicenda, Rubra Agenda: I dont feel like I’m keeping up with the various positions in this comment threadR 30;if the instituted acolyte/le ctor fulfills the liturgical roles of a...
- TonyO: If you read up on military or quasi-mili tary operations in space, you will without doubt come across a broad stream of thinking that we (or rather, “we& #8221;) should not “...
- Kenneth Wolfe: ” Some would not vest this liturgical critter in a maniple. 8221; Count the Vatican / PCED among the “som e”. An instituted acolyte may function as a STRAW...
- GHP: Admittedly , the “Doo r GunnerR 21; verbiage was photoshopp ed. (Okay … so was the Space Priest one.) More posters here: https://ma rs.nasa.go v/multimed ia/resourc es/mars...
- Unwilling: “Mas s each morning, TLM, NO and Orthodox Divine Liturgy and Protestant prayer service each day.” ; Take that, WCC!
- Kathleen10: haha, very cool!
- bobbird: Fr. Z’s boyish enthusiasm is understand able. Space is already militarize d anyway with spy satellites and who-knows- what else that is orbiting the planet. However, expanding WAR...
- VP: The space suit is a great look, but no Vatican flag?
- teomatteo: That picture of Fr. Z in the spacesuit? well, it looks staged to me. (typical NASA)
- John Grammaticus: finally starship toopers :) Shame I was born on the opposite side of the pond
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- Concerning Card. McCarrick
- URGENT UPDATE – Fr. Phillips EXONERATED! UPDATED!
- Dubious dubia about the Dubia
- JUST TOO COOL: SPACE FORCE!
- ASK FATHER: What can the acolyte do and wear?
- Day 1 #ActonU – Getting Started – Days and Deaths
- “Disinformation” and some notes about the World Council of Churches
- Catholic? Why?
- “Perdonamose!” Midsummer Snails, John’s Birthday Feast and You.
- Fr. Z’s Kitchen: The South
- Pres. Trump and the Brown Scapular
- WDTPRS – 4th Sunday after Pentecost: “HEY YOU!” *smack*
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- Surprise article at Commonweal about participation in the Traditional Latin Mass
- Speaking of Eucharistic Processions…
- WDTPRS: 11th Ordinary Sunday – ‘firmness’ and ‘infirmity, ‘intention’ and ‘action’
- QUIZ: What is this thing? – SOLVED!
- “The finest rosaries I have ever seen” have… returned! – UPDATES
- GREEN! Photos of green vestments for Solemn Mass in production, and a pitch
- 14 June – Elisha, Old Testament Prophet: salt, bears and you.
- READER FEEDBACK to post: Why we Say The Black and Do The Red
- ASK FATHER: Validity of sacraments from a schismatic priest
- A great restoration @CathedralStPaul
- Terrific photos of traditional rite ordination in England!
- Concerning @JamesMartinSJ talking at Vatican @LaityFamilyLife sponsored @WMOF2018
- BEER @MONKSOFNORCIA PROGRESS
- Your Sunday Sermon Note Belated
- Are you downsizing? Be careful!
- Just to put your day into perspective
- ASK FATHER: Celebrate Prudence and not “Pride”!
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
I travel a good deal. As I get older, it takes more of a toll. My main airline - sigh - is Delta. Were I to get some Gift Cards for Delta, I could more easily upgrade for longer flights. I'm just sayin'. I'd be much obliged. HERE
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
A book by an old friend…
Tag Archives: martyrdom
This is from today’s Bolletino:
Promulgation of Decrees of the Congregation for the Causes of Saints, 23.03.2017
The Holy Father Francis received in audience this morning His Eminence Cardinal Angelo Amato, S.D.B., prefect of the Congregation for the Causes of Saints. During … Continue reading
A couple weeks ago I wrote that I suspected that Fr. Jacques Hamel was martyred, murdered in Northern France by Islamic terrorists, and that it wouldn’t surprise me were the Pope to speed up the process.
During the presser on the airplane returning to … Continue reading
I like this story. From CNA:
This sword-wielding Samurai just moved closer to sainthood!
Vatican City, Jan 23, 2016 / 04:02 am (CNA/EWTN News).- The martyrdom of a 16th-century Samurai who died for his Catholic faith was approved this week by Pope … Continue reading
Today we might contemplate the various ways in which the State is encroaches in our lives and tries to force us to do things that are repugnant to nature and to God’s laws.
Today is the feast day of a saint, who … Continue reading
I am not sure if this is true or not. That said….
ISIS Beheads Iraqi Priest in Mosul
According to locals and eye witnesses, ISIS beheads an Iraqi priest who captured him 7 month ago.
Local says ISIS militants announced beheading of priest … Continue reading
In one story about the arrest of the man suspected as the murderer of Fr. Kenneth Walker in Phoenix, I read this:
PHOENIX (CBS5) –
The person who brutally attacked two Phoenix priests might have a lot of anger toward people and … Continue reading
Over at Vultus Christi, which I check every day, dom Mark posted a disturbing quote from St. John Chrysostom’s On the priesthood:
All men are ready to pass judgment on the priest as if he was not a being clothed with … Continue reading
I have been spot reading in John Allen’s new book, The Global War on Christians: Dispatches from the Front Lines of Anti-Christian Persecution.
Along the same line, I saw this at CNS:
Sen. Paul: ‘Worldwide War on Christians is Being Waged by a … Continue reading
I am catching up on the news. To my horror I saw a story at Vatican Insider, to my knowledge only in Italian at this point, wherein the the Syrian Melkite Greek Catholic Patrairch, Gregorios III, revealed during a visit to … Continue reading
From a reader:
I know that the Church teaches that people that die in a state of mortal sin cannot go to Heaven. However, can martyrs killed in a state of mortal sin still go to Heaven?
Excellent question, and one that … Continue reading
Homosexuals often commit the most physically brutal crimes that the police see.
[UPDATE: Some people in the tweetosphere are having a spittle-flecked nutty about the sentence I wrote, above. At least I think that is why there is a spittle-flecked nutty … Continue reading
Just in case you were tempted to FORGET…
From The Blaze (not the only source… there are videos…:
CATHOLIC PRIEST ALLEGEDLY BEHEADED IN SYRIA BY AL-QAEDA-LINKED REBELS AS MEN AND CHILDREN TAKE PICTURES AND CHEER
Syrian Catholic priest Francois Murad killed last weekend … Continue reading
Over at the National Catholic Register, Matthew Archbold has this sobering observation:
Preparing my Children for Martyrdom
I was looking at my children in Mass yesterday and a horrifying thought occurred to me. If I do my job well as a parent, … Continue reading
Each day I like to read the entry in the Martyrologium Romanum. Today there are several entries which could be the staring points for discussions of holiness and salvation.
Let us consider this one:
3. Augustae Vindelicorum in Raetia, sanctae Afrae, martyris, … Continue reading
I have been waiting for the video of the closing “liturgy” of the L.A. Three Days of Darkness … Religious Ed Congress.
In looking for it, I found a video of a talk by my friend the nearly ubiquitous John L. … Continue reading