Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- bibi1003: Rob83, that is really scary. That made me think of something similar (and likely diabolical ) that happened to Randall Sullivan, as described in his book The Miracle Detective. Sulli...
- JamesA: “I have kicked myself the times I did not go.” I sincerely hope that means you will go next year, Father, because it is my prayer to be able to go, as well. To see you there...
- Kent Wendler: Would you consider offering this to First Things as a “dai ly article 221;? I think it’s worth it. (You might need to define “Fis hwrap̶ 1; and include...
- Sseprn: Thank you Father for those observatio ns. What a mess we have. We need to stay strong, have faith, and Pray. Along the same lines, over at Crisis, is a piece by Anthony Esolen: https:/...
- TonyO: There isn’ t really any even half-way supportabl e reason to call the cover-up / cabal / homosexual ism crisis by the name of “cle ricalism 8221;. There isn’ t, in fact,...
- excalibur: “Cup ich hole” ; Give yourself a Gold Star, Father Z. Rememberin g what the late Cardinal George said about his successor. Persecuted , but not what we thought over? The Lord...
- mibethda: The Mass paten does appear to have been consecrate d in the ‘Mid dle Ages’ ;. see Guilielmus Durandus, Rationale Divinorum Officiorum , Book I, Chapter 8, Par.24: 24. Further...
- Charlotte Allen: @mcferran Msgr. Pope, author of that blog page you linked, is a great guy. He leads a monthly Saturday-m orning prayer witness at the humongous Planned Parenthood abortion clinic...
- francophile: Fundamenta lly, we are being asked by the Pope and many bishops to accept predatory homosexual behaviour as the norm for clerical life. And we are being asked to “loo k the other...
- JesusFreak84: Even if Francis was TEH BEST POPE EVAH, that kind of remark is foolish. Some things you just don’ t joke about, and some things certain people just shouldn 217;t ever joke...
- JesusFreak84: Our priests have begun to go as “bla nd” and “gen eric” ; as the EF lectionary could allow. I wouldnR 17;t be surprised if the actions of our Cardina...
- Roy Hobbs: FatherR 30; you sure do get around! And what a lovely picture of MSP. Safe travels.
- Ultrarunner: Apparently , it’s far easier to cede papal authority and recognitio n to an athiestic communist state formed in the 20th century than to do so with Christian based denominati ons...
- MissBee: So bad, but so good! And it made me think of this – Vince Lombardi as St. Vince Lombardi (or as I would say, “Vin cent Lombardi of Green Bay). Not entirely improbable , is...
- Fr Martin Fox: My homily title was, “Det achment: what it is, why we need it and how to gain it.” I also talked about Flannery O’Co nnor’ ;s idea of grace not necessaril y...
- Mark: The other day I was also trying to figure out what they mean when they blame the current scandal on “Clericali sm”, so I simply googled the word to see if I could figure out how you could...
- FN: Can one think of any occasion on which one would actually say, out loud, “I am the d…” I can’t even type it. I am sure Fr Z wouldn’t. Would any of us? “I’m just a poor sinner” would seem...
- FN: Judging by his behavior Augustus was a complete rotter. A classic example of how the Lord can bring good out of the deeds of the worst men.
- Michael Haz: “ 230;..repo rt for psychiatri c counseling and perhaps confinemen t… 8221; Soviet-era tyranny courtesy of Cdl Chipich. Those accused of wrongthink must be institu...
- TonyO: And, by the way: in all that, a priest should be automatica lly disqualifi ed from considerat ion if the bishop receives from the people letters about him that he does not teach ortho...
- David WS: Contracept ion http://www .therealpr esence.org /archives/ Chastity/C hastity_00 4.htm – is fatal to the Faith. First, widespread contracept ion and unbelief in the Real Presence go...
- TonyO: It’s my understand ing that in medieval times the Kings of England chose who would be bishops in their realm and the pope had little to do with it. The kings of France also claimed rights of...
- JustaSinner: Only the Dark One would utter the truth in this instance?
- JonPatrick: @semperGum by, unfortunat ely the Cubs will lose to the Red Sox in game 5 of the World Series as Chris Sale repeating his stellar performanc e in game 1 at Fenway Park, mows down the...
- Gab: Bon voyage, Fr Z. Wish you a most excellent journey.
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- When they claim “Clericalism!”, they really mean #sodoclericalism
- My View For Awhile: Humidity Edition
- ASK FATHER: Is a Communion plate or paten a “sacred vessel”?
- OCTOBER – ROME – Annual #SumPont2018 Pilgrimage
- Thanks to Augustus on his birthday and to the Cohors Italicus
- If government leaders in China can now choose bishops, then in these USA…
- Francis trades quips with Polish photographer in Vilnius
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- Archbp. Chaput of @ArchPhilly on upcoming Synod’s working document. Concerns.
- UPDATE – @ArchChicago parish burns a “rainbow flag”
- THIS IS WAR! Wherein Fr. Z calls on bishops and priests to FIGHT BACK as priests and bishops!
- Akita, Communion in the hand, and homosexuality
- Card. Zen on the “Provisional Agreement” with the PRC on Bishops
- WDTPRS – 25th Ordinary Sunday: Each love fuels the other, when love of God is first.
- VIDEO: Fr. Murray on aspects of The Present Crisis
- ASK FATHER: Adding water to Holy Water
- ASK FATHER: If in letters Benedict XVI imparts still the Apostolic Blessing…
- A story of spectacular complexity, involving shady people, huge money, interlocking directorates, vast loans, and the Papal Foundation.
- One Mad Mom spanks James Martin, LGBTSJ – UPDATED
- Bishop R. Walker Nickless of Sioux City on #ViganoTestimony
- And now a word from our sponsor…
- BOOKS RECEIVED: Vatican I: The Council and the Making of the Ultramontane Church
- The upcoming Synod’s “working document”
- ASK FATHER: Should we pray for or against the success of the Synod?
- What passes for important today.
- YOU are other people. It’s always someone else… until it’s YOU.
- ASK FATHER: Are we are in the End Times?
- Fr. Murray’s Open Letter to ex-Card. McCarrick. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- Cri de Coeur about lost innocence and The Present Crisis
- Card. Müller: “the real danger to today’s humanity is the greenhouse gases of sin and the global warming of unbelief”
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Tag Archives: martyrdom
This is from today’s Bolletino:
Promulgation of Decrees of the Congregation for the Causes of Saints, 23.03.2017
The Holy Father Francis received in audience this morning His Eminence Cardinal Angelo Amato, S.D.B., prefect of the Congregation for the Causes of Saints. During … Continue reading
A couple weeks ago I wrote that I suspected that Fr. Jacques Hamel was martyred, murdered in Northern France by Islamic terrorists, and that it wouldn’t surprise me were the Pope to speed up the process.
During the presser on the airplane returning to … Continue reading
I like this story. From CNA:
This sword-wielding Samurai just moved closer to sainthood!
Vatican City, Jan 23, 2016 / 04:02 am (CNA/EWTN News).- The martyrdom of a 16th-century Samurai who died for his Catholic faith was approved this week by Pope … Continue reading
Today we might contemplate the various ways in which the State is encroaches in our lives and tries to force us to do things that are repugnant to nature and to God’s laws.
Today is the feast day of a saint, who … Continue reading
I am not sure if this is true or not. That said….
ISIS Beheads Iraqi Priest in Mosul
According to locals and eye witnesses, ISIS beheads an Iraqi priest who captured him 7 month ago.
Local says ISIS militants announced beheading of priest … Continue reading
In one story about the arrest of the man suspected as the murderer of Fr. Kenneth Walker in Phoenix, I read this:
PHOENIX (CBS5) –
The person who brutally attacked two Phoenix priests might have a lot of anger toward people and … Continue reading
Over at Vultus Christi, which I check every day, dom Mark posted a disturbing quote from St. John Chrysostom’s On the priesthood:
All men are ready to pass judgment on the priest as if he was not a being clothed with … Continue reading
I have been spot reading in John Allen’s new book, The Global War on Christians: Dispatches from the Front Lines of Anti-Christian Persecution.
Along the same line, I saw this at CNS:
Sen. Paul: ‘Worldwide War on Christians is Being Waged by a … Continue reading
I am catching up on the news. To my horror I saw a story at Vatican Insider, to my knowledge only in Italian at this point, wherein the the Syrian Melkite Greek Catholic Patrairch, Gregorios III, revealed during a visit to … Continue reading
From a reader:
I know that the Church teaches that people that die in a state of mortal sin cannot go to Heaven. However, can martyrs killed in a state of mortal sin still go to Heaven?
Excellent question, and one that … Continue reading
Homosexuals often commit the most physically brutal crimes that the police see.
[UPDATE: Some people in the tweetosphere are having a spittle-flecked nutty about the sentence I wrote, above. At least I think that is why there is a spittle-flecked nutty … Continue reading
Just in case you were tempted to FORGET…
From The Blaze (not the only source… there are videos…:
CATHOLIC PRIEST ALLEGEDLY BEHEADED IN SYRIA BY AL-QAEDA-LINKED REBELS AS MEN AND CHILDREN TAKE PICTURES AND CHEER
Syrian Catholic priest Francois Murad killed last weekend … Continue reading
Over at the National Catholic Register, Matthew Archbold has this sobering observation:
Preparing my Children for Martyrdom
I was looking at my children in Mass yesterday and a horrifying thought occurred to me. If I do my job well as a parent, … Continue reading
Each day I like to read the entry in the Martyrologium Romanum. Today there are several entries which could be the staring points for discussions of holiness and salvation.
Let us consider this one:
3. Augustae Vindelicorum in Raetia, sanctae Afrae, martyris, … Continue reading
I have been waiting for the video of the closing “liturgy” of the L.A. Three Days of Darkness … Religious Ed Congress.
In looking for it, I found a video of a talk by my friend the nearly ubiquitous John L. … Continue reading