Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!Enter Amazon through my link, the image below (they took away our search box!), and I will get a small percentage of what you spend. (Pssst - Can't see it? Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
Here's a generic "catholic" search start point for Amazon:
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- robtbrown: frjim4321 says: Infallibil ity from the chair was not asserted with regard to this matter. 211; It has language like Ineffabili s Deus and Munificent issimus Deus, both of which are...
- NBW: Fr. Rutler is extremely intelligen t and witty. I love his sense of humor. Those that lack true intellect like Fr.Spadaro , would not in a million years, be able to write or speak like Fr....
- frjim4321: [That’s an old chestnut. You know very well what the reasons are. You just don’t want to accept the Church officially defined teaching, which is also infallible .] I know the reasons, as...
- SKAY: Thank you Father.
- Ave Maria: The attacks on the Real Presence has been going on for decades. The liturgical abuses contribute to the lessening of belief. And “dea cons’ ; who are also professors such as...
- Aquinas Gal: When I was in third or fourth grade at a Catholic school, a priest came in to talk about the Mass. I still vividly recall how we walked up and down the aisles showing us the chali...
- Atra Dicenda, Rubra Agenda: How do **bishops* * do this and remain in Communion with the rest of the Church? Where is the Barque to strengthen the brethren?
- Sawyer: @LeeGilber t, I saw Anthony Ruff’ ;s curt response to you at praytellbl og. He completely ignored your statements and question about the decline in belief about the Real Presence. He...
- Mike: Once one accepts that after Vatican 2 Jesuitism became Teilhardia n rather than Catholic, all this makes sense, insofar as it can.
- LeeGilbert: In response to SawyerR 17;s note that praytell was addressing Cdl Sarah̵ 7;s preface, I made the following comment there and hope that others will engage them as well. Well,...
- robtbrown: A distinctio n must be made between Hatha yoga, primarily a group of stretching and breathing exercise, and Mantra yoga, a method of meditation . A mantra is one word, often of one...
- Semper Gumby: Fr. Spadaro wrote: “In theology 2 + 2 can equal 5. Because it has to do with God and the real life of people… 221; Huh. In the real life of people writing 2+2=5 on your tax...
- Ellen: At our parish we have EMHC, but I always try to go where Father is distributi ng. I receive on the tongue – always. I’ve been to Mass at the chapel of the Fathers of Mercy where...
- Mariana2: Thanks, Father!
- bookworm: I don’ t see where mere positionin g without an explicit purpose of praying is enough to constitute prayer; if it were, then one would be potentiall y worshiping false gods or...
- Mariana2: Thanks, Father!
- Semper Gumby: Thank you Fr. Z for this excerpt from Garrigou-L agrange. Interestin g connection with this Station Church and St. Crispin of Henry V fame, Enrico Fermi, and ham sandwiches . Great...
- VexillaRegis: Dear Paul of St Paul, the CAF usually has reliable answers: https://ww w.catholic .com/magaz ine
- Eugene: Heavenly Father in thy great mercy I beg of Thee to bring this true Shepherd of souls, Cardinal Sarah to the throne of Peter as soon as possible so that right worship and right teach...
- Gabriel Syme: Why do we insist on communicat ing standing and on the hand? There are multiple answers to this question and the influence of each doubtless varies from person to person: 1) Lack of...
- Gabriel Syme: Another great contributi on from Cardinal Sarah. Meanwhile, the German Bishops have announced they are about to release “pas toral guidelines ” to permit the issuing of...
- HvonBlumenthal: Is there really a « dialogue » between the forms? Does anyone seriously think that the Ordinary Form has anything to offer the Extraordin ary, that from the Novus Ordo we can find...
- Ave Crux: Later, in a well publicized comment on “Twitter” which operates according to stable and constant principles of applied engineerin g,…& #8221; Fatherrrrr ….I failed to heed...
- Kennedy: robtbrown, Many thanks. The date of publicatio n of Third Millennium would fit in with the time frame when I attended his talk.
- Julia_Augusta: Pergolesi’ s Stabat Mater is a hauntingly beautiful piece. The best recording I have heard is the one with Andreas Scholl (counterte nor), Barbara Bonney, and Les Talents Lyriq...
CLICK and say your daily offering!
- Wisconsin High School student invents classroom door stop
- LENTCAzT 2018 10 – Ember Friday in the 1st Week of Lent: You cannot save yourself for the world
- Card. Sarah: return to Communion directly on the tongue while kneeling
- JUST TOO COOL: Recently received missal stand and statue of Our Lady
- Wherein Rutler thrashes @AntonioSpadaro
- BRAZIL: Did these bishops allow women to concelebrate Mass?
- Promoted by @JamesMartinSJ – Jesuits have yoga in church sanctuary at a school
- LENTCAzT 2018 09 – Thursday in the 1st Week of Lent: The inexhaustible virtue of the Word
- Fr. Murray on “lived experience”, “accompaniment”, “conscience”
- More news from the New catholic Red Guard
- Making the Church appealing. What “sells”?
- LENTCAzT 2018 08 – Wednesday in the 1st Week of Lent: Never ending combat
- 20 Feb – Feast of Sts Francisco and Jacinta of Fatima
- Of “paradigm shift” interest
- Spain: young people dancing a jota in reparation for blasphemy against the Blessed Virgin
- Mega-Masses and too many Hosts
- The State v. Self-Reliance
- LENTCAzT 2018 07 – Tuesday in the 1st Week of Lent: subtle temptation
- Attacks on the family
- My View For Awhile: Capital Edition
- Books for boys. Suggested titles and an additional point.
- LENTCAzT 2018 06 – Monday in the 1st Week of Lent: “I warned you!”
- Wherein Fr Longenecker schools @JamesMartinSJ
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- WDTPRS 1st Sunday of Lent (N.O.): The Lenten “Sacrament”
- LENTCAzT 2018 05 – 1st Sunday of Lent: Anger and Reason
- Commandments are NOT mere “ideals” from which some are excused because, “They’re tooo haaard!” Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- JUST TOO COOL – Cops, ashes, and podcasts
- VIDEO Fr. Murray and Prof. Royal on some tough issues
- LENTCAzT 2018 04 – Ash Saturday: Getting ready for… it.
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
A book by an old friend…
Tag Archives: matrimony
From canonist Ed Peters comes a post. I wrote about it, HERE. There are some striking parallels. I wonder why?
Thoughts on a mid-air marriage
Show of hands! Who wants to rain all over the sentimental parade lining up behind (what … Continue reading
From a reader…
I have a quick question so I’ll keep this message short. Knowing several Catholics in my childrens’ Catholic school who have been divorced and remarried after getting an annulment, I wonder how to explain it all to my … Continue reading
You have to pay attention to language, especially in the hands of libs. They twist and they turn. They set you up with implicit premises which you might breeze right by. They lead you astray and into the dark places … Continue reading
This is something that every parish priest and seminarian should read and commit to memory.
It is at the heart of many controversies (not excluding the mendacity of the Left trying to edge out the Truth with innuendo and ambiguity).
From canonist … Continue reading
I’m tired of the whine from certain homosexualists and their agenda, to the detriment of concerns of people to adhere to God’s plan and nature and many other serious concerns which we face as a Church and society.
I was alerted … Continue reading
From a reader…
I have a question regarding the situation of two Catholics being married by an unapproved minister.
Would any law prevent the couple from contacting the parish and explaining what they want to do, then following the course of Pre-Cana classes … Continue reading
From a reader…
I recently read your post regarding the recently-announced changes to the validity of marriages witnessed by SSPX priests, and I am confused. How does this change anything? Doesn’t Canon 1108 already give bishops and pastors the power to … Continue reading
In the wake of Pope Francis’ decision to have diocesan ordinaries see to validity of SSPX marriages (HERE) the SSPX issued a statement at their website (HERE)
At first the SSPX communiqué rehashes what the Holy Father did. Then…
The Society of Saint Pius … Continue reading
UPDATE 6 April:
I want to make a point. Specific marriages (that is, involving real people not theoretical cases) are assumed to be valid, unless they are declared by a tribunal not to have taken place at all. Some marriage ceremonies … Continue reading
In the shallow, liberal, Italian Catholic weekly Panorama we are informed about a booklet now out over the name of Card. Coccopalmerio, Prefect of the Pontifical Council for Legislative Texts. It is ballyhooed as “the response” to the Five Dubia of … Continue reading
Newly appended to the end of Pentin’s article on Card. Müller…
Update 12 January 2016:
A spokesman for Cardinal Müller told the Register that he was “speaking out of his authority as prefect of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, … Continue reading
I have turned back the clock to June 2016 to find a post at the blog of canonist Ed Peters, who also – to our benefit – comments on these electronic pages.
Peters breaks it down Barney style so that even … Continue reading
I’m out and about and so can’t do more than point you in the direction of Hell’s Bible (aka NYT) where the redoubtable Ross Douthat has written more about the Great Matter of what’s up with the Church’s teaching on … Continue reading
A reading from the first apology of Justin Martyr in defense of the Christians, c. 100-165
No one may share in the Eucharist except those who believe in the truth of our teachings and have been washed in the bath which … Continue reading
From a reader…
I am engaged to a girl who was raised attending a SSPX chapel her entire life. We will be married by a diocesan priest in the traditional form. She is unsure whether she can receive communion at a … Continue reading
So Pope Francis in unofficial off-the-cuff remarks says that the majority of marriages are invalid because people don’t get what marriage is. Those off-the-cuff remarks were quickly amended and are now the official off-the-cuff remarks, whatever that means.
I was reminded … Continue reading
From a reader…
I have two younger brothers who are close in age and who were both baptized Catholic as babies. Very early in their life, when they were around 1 and 3 years old respectively, our mom left the church and has since … Continue reading
From a reader…
I hope you are doing well! First, I want to thank you for your blog. Your writings have been very educational and inspirational. I’m hoping you might share your thoughts on an example that came up during a discussion with fellow … Continue reading
What a breath of fresh air!
Here is a video of His Eminence Raymond Card. Burke delivering his recent talk to the Rome Life Forum.
His Eminence addressed the problem of referring to the essentials of marriage as “an idea” (i.e., Kasperites).
4 … Continue reading
Must Catholic doctrine on marriage now be affirmed by every bishop and bishops conference individually?
At the peculiarly appellated Eponymous Flower there is (in addition to a poll on the sidebar about Amoris laetitia) a piece gleaned from Katholisches.info about a presser held by the honchos of the Spanish Bishops Conference on, yes, Familiaris divortio … … Continue reading