Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!Enter Amazon through my link, the image below (they took away our search box!), and I will get a small percentage of what you spend. (Pssst - Can't see it? Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
Here's a generic "catholic" search start point for Amazon:
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- ABird: I went to the parish I grew up in this weekend, as I was visiting family. The priest gave an entire homily focused on repentance and did not mention confession once. I found it odd.
- Ef-lover: Today in the Byzantine rite it is the Sunday of the Publican and Pharisee aka the second Sunday of pre-lent. Father explained the gospel he told us that the pray of the Pharisee was not a...
- TonyO: Dear Father, thank you for the response. a friend of mine who is a policeman told me about that purpose for the trucks. And yes, there were many other trucks at many other intersecti ons. I...
- Gaetano: Another considerat ion is that Fr. Ciszek may have been celebratin g the Divine Liturgy with all eight tones, adding a whole other layer of complexity to his work of memorizati on. http:...
- ServusChristi: My archdioces e sent a survey to all the youth in all the parishes last year. Though I tried not to sound like a doom and gloom prophet, I wrote down my experience s in paris...
- iPadre: The Vatican post office might want to hire a few extra workers, and maybe rent a very large hall for the influx of mail. An those who have to read it all, well, more jobs there also.
- majuscule: ¡Hagan lio! Or not…
- Fr_Andrew: When I was last in Rome a few years ago, I had heard that the Italian post is the analogical equivalent of a vitandus. As a test, I sent a card from the Vatican Post Office and an...
- thomas tucker: Tell him what we feel, or what we think? [Write one or the other. Write both. I suspect he cares more about the one than about the other. Write what is the most effective. In other...
- jaykay: I think the Sensus Fidelium was pretty well expressed by rather a lot of people in Washington in recent days. But that’ ;s actually going out and doing something, as opposed to writi...
- Veritatis Splendor: Father, how would one go about affixing postage to such a letter? [I suppose that depends upon how you post it.]
- Charivari Rob: Our time is short – and we don’ t know how short. When the Lord is standing along the shore and calling you, you may not have the time to put him off until after the nets...
- Justalurkingfool: I’d rather spend the time sleeping. It is far more productive . [As per your username? I wonder if this is the same approach as those who stay at home instead of going out...
- Mike in VA: I’ve read both of Fr. CiszekR 17;s books about Russia. With God in Russia is a great autobiogra phy of his experience . He Leadeth Me is a great spiritual reflection .
- GypsyMom: At our homeschool co-op, we teach the students the Our Father, Hail Mary, Glory Be, and grace before meals in Latin. The students usually have them cold by the end of their first semes...
- JSzczuka: Our TLM priest spoke of the humility and faith of the centurion but more of his emphasis was on tomorrow as a day of penance and prayer for life. He mentioned what the President said...
- majuscule: At our OF Mass Father spoke about repentance and about trusting in the Lord. I have often been discourage d by priests who preach about God’ s love and forgivenes s and donR...
- Imrahil: As concerns the question “did he in fact so dispense 8221;, I agree that “he can dispense 8221; and “he did dispense 8221; have, as you put it, an “at least...
- Benedict Joseph: He does not want to hear from anyone who recognizes the truth and has little patience extending ecclesiast ical deference to fraudulenc e. We’v e done that far, far too long....
- Imrahil: Dear TonyO, I think that simply boils down that you misunderst ood me – forgive me if I gave occasion for that – – or that you assume one specific premise which is not...
- BenFischer: Our Deacon talked about the need to seek God’ s mercy and forgivenes s. He didn’ ;t say, but I assumed that it was at least partially due to the fact that our parish is going...
- PTK_70: If one pope (St. John Paul II) can famously reinstate a down-and-o ut priest after dinner (cf http://www .worksbyfa ith.org/th e-beggar-a nd-pope-jo hn-paul-ii /), perhaps we can allow for...
- momoften: Thanks for all the book suggestion s. I have read the Fr Ciszek books and now the Nobel Beauty and Transcende nt Holiness- outstandin g suggestion s, and the latter I am gifting to some...
- mikeinmo: Father had an excellent pro-life sermon, very traditiona l theme. Church was as quiet as a mouse during the sermon. He tied in the reading about Jonah̵ 7;s 3 day trek across Nineveh...
- catholictrad: This reminds me of many war movies where men assist the likely mortally wounded in reciting their prayers.
CLICK and say your daily offering!
- The Pope wants to hear from you. No. Really. He wants the “sensus fidelium”.
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- From a priest: an interesting experience saying Mass
- OLDIE PODCAzT 127: The Eve of St. Agnes and a Bleak Midwinter
- My View For A While: Counter March
- #March4Life numbers and Pres. Trump’s words
- DC March for Life 2018 – DAY 2: Forward MARCH!
- DC March for Life 2018 – DAY 1: Paintings and plots
- Canonist Ed Peters on the Papal mid-air airplane nuptials
- The Pope marries a couple on the papal airplane. Hmmm.
- Big Business Is WATCHING!
- My View For Awhile: March For Life 2018 Edition
- “The Triumph of Marcantonio Colonna” described
- ASK FATHER: Would anything prevent a priest from always using the traditional formula of absolution?
- 2 Feb – MADISON – Candlemas – Pontifical Mass at the Throne
- Card. Müller on authority of Popes, possibility of others correcting contradictory papal teachings
- ASK FATHER: If I remember a sin after confessing, should I interrupt the priest and tell him?
- Slithery misdirection from the National Sodomitical Reporter: Bishops who avoid scandal commit scandal
- An Armenian bishop “ordains” a deaconette
- Two seriously ugly signs of the times involving papal honors and the silencing of bells
- BOOK RECEIVED about Martin Luther (not King but by “King”)
- ASK FATHER: How do I find out which territorial parish I live in?
- Who cares what libs think? Boldly recover and use great traditional items and vesture of yore.
- ASK FATHER: If I confess to watching porn, must I say it was homosexual porn?
- ACTION ITEM! Petition against removal of historic Cross where Fr. Marquette died
- ASK FATHER: We want our children to have reverent Masses. Can we go to the SSPX chapel?
- VIDEO Bp. Athanasius Schneider interview about “Amoris laetitia” Controversy
- ASK FATHER: Should I tell a noisy penitent that we can hear everything said in the confessional?
- Observing the Feast of the Ass – 14 January
- A false #missilethreat is NOTHING compared to this REAL DEATH THREAT
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
A book by an old friend…
Tag Archives: Michael Sean Winters
In what he surely thought was a serious analysis from High Atop The Thing, over at Fishwrap, Michael Sean Winters, the Wile E. Coyote of the catholic Left and one of the New catholic Red Guards, looked at the beginning of the USCCB’s … Continue reading
H.L. Mencken in 1923 about translation of sacred texts, liturgy. Hilarious, prophetic, applicable now.
One of you readers here sent this. It is by H.L Mencken, an influential American columnist in the 20th c. He was prodigiously clever, but clever enough to avoid being a fan of Nietzche and an enemy of religion. He … Continue reading
At Fishwrap (aka the National Schismatic Reporter) there are a couple of dreadful reads. Shocking, right?
First, Jesuit Thomas Reese wrote (at the horrid RNS), about how more conservative Catholics are now “cafeteria Catholics” because they disagree with Pope Francis. But … Continue reading
I just saw reports that the lib Left had a meltdown over 1st Lady Melania Trump’s shoes when she was on her way to Houston. I can’t help but wonder about a connection between the Left’s obsessions and their amazing … Continue reading
The liberal attack on converts who are concerned about the Church continue. Lately liberal paplatrous gnostic Austen Ivereigh, once editor of The Bitter Pill in the UK, jumped aboard the band-wagon launched by Michael Sean Winters of the Fishwrap. (HERE) Liberal historian … Continue reading
The other day I posted about sending a Combat Rosary to Fishwrap‘s Michael Sean Winters, who had had a little nutty about “militaristic” imagery. I wondered whether or not MSW would acknowledge receipt.
Today, I see that he responded! HERE
Lastly, Fr. John Zuhlsdorf … Continue reading
Winters responded! HERE
ORIGINALLY Published on: Jul 31, 2017:
The other day Michael Sean Winters, the juggernaut writer for the Fishwrap, attacked you readers here. HERE He did so, because one of you asked me about the Most Holy Rosary as a “weapon”.
He ignored the context … Continue reading
Today there is a “Defense of Converts” in First Things.
There is a defense because there was an attack.
A couple days back, at the Fishwrap (aka National Sodomitic Reporter), the Wile E. Coyote of the catholic Left, Michael Sean Winters, attacked converts.
At Al … Continue reading
Over the last few days it feels like the news is coming in at firehose volume and force.
And, from the onset, I’ll just say now that the moderation queue is ON.
A lot of the firehose sensation has to do with fallout … Continue reading
UPDATE 17 July 2017:
Some of you are writing to me to ask for CCW cards. I’m not the guy. However, I passed the word to Fr. Heilman, who responded:
They’ll be available at romancatholicgear.com within the week. They must possess a “Combat Rosary” … Continue reading
Recently, Fishwrap‘s Michael Sean Winters, the Wile E. Coyote of the catholic Left, wrote an angry piece about the 10th anniversary of Benedict XVI’s great Motu Proprio, which was a kind of Emancipation Proclamation for all the priests of the Latin Church … Continue reading
Originally Published on: Jul 1, 2017
There will be quite a few reaction to the change of Prefects at CDF. Hereunder I hope to catalog some of them for easy reference.
Here is something predictably tasteless from the start:
CDF now headed by … Continue reading
CWR: Interview with Bp. Paprocki about decree on regarding same-sex “marriage”and “related pastoral issues”
Catholic World Report has published an interview with Bp. Thomas Paprocki of Springfield in Illinois. This is a followup to the vicious and undeserved criticism that the homosexualists have rained down on the bishop since he promulgated particular law for … Continue reading
From the UK’s best Catholic weekly, the Catholic Herald. This is a terrific summary of the hate launched by liberals at Card. Sarah. We owe the writer debt of thanks for piecing this together for the record. He exposes … Continue reading