Search Fr. Z’s Blog
BACK TO SCHOOL SHOPPING? Please, come here first!
Enter Amazon through my search box and I will get a small percentage of what you spend. (Pssst - Can't see the search box? Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
PS: I added Amazon Search Boxes for the UK and for Canada at the bottom of the blog page. Copy and paste titles I mention into those boxes and - BAZINGA! - results appear as if by magic. Kindle? HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Some words of wisdom…
The more vigorously the primacy was displayed, the more the question came up about the extent and and limits of [papal] authority, which of course, as such, had never been considered. After the Second Vatican Council, the impression arose that the pope really could do anything in liturgical matters, especially if he were acting on the mandate of an ecumenical council. Eventually, the idea of the givenness of the liturgy, the fact that one cannot do with it what one will, faded from the public consciousness of the West. In fact, the First Vatican Council had in no way defined the pope as an absolute monarch. On the contrary, it presented him as the guarantor of obedience to the revealed Word. The pope's authority is bound to the Tradition of faith. … The authority of the pope is not unlimited; it is at the service of Sacred Tradition.
Joseph RatzingerUS HERE - UK HERE
in The Spirit of the Liturgy
Outstanding. Informative. Moving. - Fr. Z
CLICK and say your Daily Offering!
"We as Catholics have not properly combated (the culture) because we have not been taught our Catholic Faith, especially in the depth needed to address these grave evils of our time. This is a failure of catechesis both of children and young people that has been going on for fifty years. It is being addressed, but it needs much more radical attention... What has also contributed greatly to the situation is an exaltation of the virtue of tolerance which is falsely seen as the virtue which governs all other virtues. In other words, we should tolerate other people in their immoral actions to the extent that we seem also to accept the moral wrong. Tolerance is a virtue, but it is certainly not the principal virtue; the principal virtue is charity... Charity means speaking the truth. I have encountered it (not speaking the truth) many times myself as a priest and bishop. It is something we simply need to address. There is far too much silence — people do not want to talk about it because the topic is not 'politically correct.' But we cannot be silent any longer."
Raymond Card. Burke
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
I listen to your voicemails: I don’t call back, but I listen.
You have three options:
020 8133 4535
- Benedict Joseph said This man is the real deal. This is a Christian. Ho...
- Richard A said Then there’s balloons, or no balloons? Barne...
- The Masked Chicken said Sorry, for all of the typos. I sound a little lik...
- The Masked Chicken said Oopps. The A x B Cartesian Product table should r...
- The Masked Chicken said Always willing to be helpful… There are abou...
- iamlucky13 said “Our Church is for sinners. The only Church...
- The Egyptian said With my poor math skills I will defer to the Rev S...
- NBW said I will add this person to my prayer list. I am so...
- AmjdhA said Not just options of incense or no, but when incens...
- Moro said nchen – Thanks for the comprehensive list. H...
- Alanmac said The progressive elite pushing the LGBT agenda and...
- Lepidus said Only because I probably should have been a lawyer...
- Lavrans said This is outstanding. If Fr. Martin and Bishop McEl...
- gracie said Sorry for the confusion. You are correct that the...
- Amerikaner said To ajf1984 – Sure, no prob!
- Someone please be the Garrigue said I was never any good at maths, but I think you sho...
- Multinucleate said Hello Father Z, I have a question. I am also gay/...
- Deacon Nathan Allen said When giving communion to the faithful (they are kn...
- Rich said God bless this reader for his witness. It is the...
- Kerry said Among all the possible variations, (validity notwi...
- FL_Catholic said First, I want to commend the gentleman who wrote t...
- asciiduck said Father, you’ve mixed up your math a bit. Per...
- Peter Stuart said Having struggled with this cross all my life, I ne...
- Chris Garton-Zavesky said Hmmm. That number looks to be about the size of t...
- ajf1984 said Praise God in His Mercy for this wonderful story o...
- Unwilling said “the truth on which I have staked”
- mburn16 said I remember seeing an answer to this question years...
- Irradiated said If one considers the three fateful words that dest...
- Fr Martin Fox said Father: You are right on. Just to expand the list...
- cathgrl said EoinOBolguidhir, “Father Martin has a right...
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee) and Norcia (beer)!
- Aedificantium enim unusquisque gladio erat accinctus.
- Nehemiah 4:18
"Where priest and people together face the same way, what we have is a cosmic orientation and also in interpretation of the Eucharist in terms of resurrection and trinitarian theology. Hence it is also an interpretation in terms of parousia, a theology of hope, in which every Mass is an approach to the return of Christ."
Joseph Ratzinger - The Feast of Faith"In those situations where homosexual unions have been legally recognized or have been given the legal status and rights belonging to marriage, clear and emphatic opposition is a duty. ... If all Catholics are obliged to oppose the legal recognition of homosexual unions, Catholic politicians are obliged to do so in a particular way, in keeping with their responsibility as politicians." CDF 2003
One of the most dangerous errors is that civilization is automatically bound to increase and spread. The lesson of history is the opposite; civilization is a rarity, attained with difficulty and easily lost. The normal state of humanity is barbarism, just as the normal surface of the planet is salt water. Land looms large in our imagination and civilization in history books, only because sea and savagery are to us less interesting. — C. S. Lewis
Ham Radio Stuff
Fr. Z - W9FRZ - OFF
QRV on: 00m 00000
Check Echolink WB0YLE-R - OFF
Get good RAZOR BLADES.
"One of the few things in life you can be absolutely sure about is that, if Management tells you it doesn't like your Tone, you are getting something right."
"Latin is a precise, essential language. It will be abandoned, not because it is unsuitable for the new requirements of progress, but because the new men will not be suitable for it. When the age of demagogues and charlatans begins, a language like Latin will no longer be useful, and any oaf will be able to give a speech in public and talk in such a way that he will not be kicked off the stage. The secret to this will consist in the fact that, by making use of words that are general, elusive, and sound good, he will be able to speak for an hour without saying anything. With Latin, this is impossible."
- - Giovanni Guareschi
Support them with prayer and fasting.
Help the Sisters. They have a building project. Get great soap (gifts, etc.) while helping REAL nuns!
Some OBLIGATORY reading…
Leave Voice Mail for Fr. Z
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Check out the Cardinal Newman Society feed!
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Mystic Monk Coffee also has TEA!
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
My wish lists
Food For Thought
“The legalization of the termination of pregnancy is none other than the authorization given to an adult, with the approval of an established law, to take the lives of children yet unborn and thus incapable of defending themselves. It is difficult to imagine a more unjust situation, and it is very difficult to speak of obsession in a matter such as this, where we are dealing with a fundamental imperative of every good conscience — the defense of the right to life of an innocent and defenseless human being.”
- St. John Paul II
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
A morsel for thought…
"If your work is strong enough for someone to hate you, it's strong enough for someone to love you. The middle is what you should fear."
- Sean McCabe @seanwes
- Moving feedback from a “gay” reader
- ASK FATHER: Permutations of the Novus Ordo according to options
- BOOK: Noble Beauty, Transcendent Holiness
- ASK FATHER: What can we do to get these men into seminary?
- UPDATE: Reversible travel vestments progress
- ASK FATHER: What’s so difficult about learning to say the Traditional Latin Mass?
- Wherein Fr. Z responds to some points made by Bp. McElroy
- ASK FATHER: Proposals to priests to “enrich” the Novus Ordo from Tradition
- SSPX forbidden to pray at Shrine of Our Lady of Knock
- 23 September 2017: Look! Up in the sky!
- Bullying the little guy.
- Please! Attack some more!
- My View For Awhile: Alignment
- Fr Z responds to something in LATimes
- MASS FOR BENEFACTORS
- WDTPRS 15th Sunday after Pentecost: We will come home to a safe landfall!
- Approval from author’s superiors doesn’t mean a book is good.
- WDTPRS – 24th Ordinary Sunday: “Do our prayers make a difference?”
- Rome – Day 4-5: Beautiful Masses
- Theologican College (seminary) asks Jesuit Fr. James Martin NOT to speak at event
- Rome – Day 4: TRAVEL VESTMENTS STARTED!
- Coverage of Summorum Pontificum conference for 10th anniversary
- A priest on what saying the Traditional Mass meant to him
- A young writer tries to figure out Pope Francis’ harsh words for “traditionalists”
- Thank you, Pope Benedict
- In the wake of the big storms: Prayers of THANKSGIVING!
- MADISON – 14 Sept: PONTIFICAL MASS AT THE THRONE
- Rome – Day 3: Summorum Pontificum 10 Years ONWARD!
- What Did Council Fathers REALLY Say About LATIN?
- Rome – Day 2: Stoffa and nonsense
For your consideration…
"One of the most dangerous errors is that civilization is automatically bound to increase and spread. The lesson of history is the opposite; civilization is a rarity, attained with difficulty and easily lost. The normal state of humanity is barbarism, just as the normal surface of the planet is salt water. Land looms large in our imagination and civilization in history books, only because sea and savagery are to us less interesting."
- C.S. Lewis
More food for thought:
“I expect to die in bed, my successor will die in prison and his successor will die a martyr in the public square. His successor will pick up the shards of a ruined society and slowly help rebuild civilization, as the church has done so often in human history.”
Francis Card. George
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Please follow me on Twitter!
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
- "It will never be known what acts of cowardice have been committed for fear of not looking sufficiently progressive."
Charles Pierre Péguy Notre Patrie, 1905"If I ought to write the truth, I am of the mind that I ought to flee all meetings of bishops, because I have never seen any happy or satisfactory outcome to any council, nor one that has deterred evils more than it has occasioned their acceptance and growth."
St. Gregory Nazianzus ep. 131 - AD 382“We will conquer your Rome, break your crosses, and enslave your women. If we do not reach that time, then our children and grandchildren will reach it, and they will sell your sons as slaves at the slave market.”
Reading and gift ideas!
Tag Archives: Michael Sean Winters
UPDATE: I just saw reports that the lib Left had a meltdown over 1st Lady Melania Trump’s shoes when she was on her way to Houston. I can’t help but wonder about a connection between the Left’s obsessions and their … Continue reading
The liberal attack on converts who are concerned about the Church continue. Lately liberal paplatrous gnostic Austen Ivereigh, once editor of The Bitter Pill in the UK, jumped aboard the band-wagon launched by Michael Sean Winters of the Fishwrap. (HERE) Liberal historian … Continue reading
The other day I posted about sending a Combat Rosary to Fishwrap‘s Michael Sean Winters, who had had a little nutty about “militaristic” imagery. I wondered whether or not MSW would acknowledge receipt. Today, I see that he responded! HERE Lastly, Fr. … Continue reading
UPDATE: Winters responded! HERE ___ ORIGINALLY Published on: Jul 31, 2017: The other day Michael Sean Winters, the juggernaut writer for the Fishwrap, attacked you readers here. HERE He did so, because one of you asked me about the Most Holy Rosary as a … Continue reading
Today there is a “Defense of Converts” in First Things. There is a defense because there was an attack. A couple days back, at the Fishwrap (aka National Sodomitic Reporter), the Wile E. Coyote of the catholic Left, Michael Sean Winters, attacked … Continue reading
Over the last few days it feels like the news is coming in at firehose volume and force. And, from the onset, I’ll just say now that the moderation queue is ON. A lot of the firehose sensation has to do … Continue reading
UPDATE 17 July 2017: Some of you are writing to me to ask for CCW cards. I’m not the guy. However, I passed the word to Fr. Heilman, who responded: They’ll be available at romancatholicgear.com within the week. They must possess a … Continue reading
Recently, Fishwrap‘s Michael Sean Winters, the Wile E. Coyote of the catholic Left, wrote an angry piece about the 10th anniversary of Benedict XVI’s great Motu Proprio, which was a kind of Emancipation Proclamation for all the priests of the Latin Church … Continue reading
Originally Published on: Jul 1, 2017 There will be quite a few reaction to the change of Prefects at CDF. Hereunder I hope to catalog some of them for easy reference. Here is something predictably tasteless from the start: CDF … Continue reading
CWR: Interview with Bp. Paprocki about decree on regarding same-sex “marriage”and “related pastoral issues”
Catholic World Report has published an interview with Bp. Thomas Paprocki of Springfield in Illinois. This is a followup to the vicious and undeserved criticism that the homosexualists have rained down on the bishop since he promulgated particular law for … Continue reading
From the UK’s best Catholic weekly, the Catholic Herald. This is a terrific summary of the hate launched by liberals at Card. Sarah. We owe the writer debt of thanks for piecing this together for the record. He exposes … Continue reading
When liberals run out of ideas, they resort to personal attacks. Such is the case of Michael Sean Winters of the Fishwrap. We’ve seen his venom before. HERE and, especially, HERE Winters doesn’t like the K of C’s politics, and so he … Continue reading
Over at the Fishwrap (aka National Schismatic Reporter) the “Wile E. Coyote of contemporary liberal catholicism”, Michael Sean Winters, had a nutty about Card. Sarah’s message to the Summorum Pontificum colloquium in Germany. HERE He picked on the new ICEL translation a bit, blah … Continue reading
Every once in a while the Wile E. Coyote of contemporary liberal catholicism over at Fishwrap (aka National Schismatic Reporter) goes on a venom bender. Michael Sean Winters can last a few weeks without bashing Acton Institute and then he falls off the wagon. … Continue reading
Card. Schoenborn gave an interview about Amoris laetitia to Antonio Spadaro, SJ an excerpt of which is in Civiltà Cattolica. Almost before the excerpt was released MS Winters at the National Sodomitic Reporter issued a 1500 word fatwah proclaiming Schoenborn’s infallibility, while also … Continue reading