SHOPPING ONLINE? Christmas is not very far away…
Please, come here first! Enter Amazon through my search box and I will get a small percentage of what you spend. (Pssst - Can't see the search box? Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
PS: I added Amazon Search Boxes for the UK and for Canada at the bottom of the blog page. Copy and paste titles I mention into those boxes and - BAZINGA! - results appear as if by magic. Kindle? HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
PLEASE HELP with a TAX DEDUCTIBLE DONATION for a new set of Pontifical Vestments for the Extraordinary Form in WHITE
Thanks to: JD!, MH!, Fr JZ!, MP, Fr AS, AS!, GG wow!, RH, DH, TP, TP, BC, CU, AC, AW // DK // JB // JL! // DY!!!!!
“The liturgy is the principal organ of the Church’s Ordinary Magisterium.”
- Pius XI
If my people who are called by my name humble themselves, and pray and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.
- 2 Chronicles 7:14 RSV
Search Fr. Z’s Blog
CLICK and say your Daily Offering!
"We as Catholics have not properly combated (the culture) because we have not been taught our Catholic Faith, especially in the depth needed to address these grave evils of our time. This is a failure of catechesis both of children and young people that has been going on for fifty years. It is being addressed, but it needs much more radical attention... What has also contributed greatly to the situation is an exaltation of the virtue of tolerance which is falsely seen as the virtue which governs all other virtues. In other words, we should tolerate other people in their immoral actions to the extent that we seem also to accept the moral wrong. Tolerance is a virtue, but it is certainly not the principal virtue; the principal virtue is charity... Charity means speaking the truth. I have encountered it (not speaking the truth) many times myself as a priest and bishop. It is something we simply need to address. There is far too much silence — people do not want to talk about it because the topic is not 'politically correct.' But we cannot be silent any longer."
Raymond Card. Burke
- Austin said A particularly nasty shade of bubblegum pink, and...
- PTK_70 said If you’ve ever had to jump from a 10 meter p...
- CaliCatholicGuy said Saw Pinkish-Rose vestments and Father mentioned it...
- Grant M said Violet vestments and the priest lit three violet c...
- Charles E Flynn said @Cornelius, It may be that the two distinguished s...
- DanD. said Abbot Barnabas said that the church didn’t h...
- Zephyrinus said BLUE Vestments, Fr ??? in Domino.
- VexillaRegis said Happy anniversary! I don’t quite remember ho...
- The Masked Chicken said Oops. Should be third birthday, base two. I was...
- The Masked Chicken said I found this blog when they used to have the conte...
- And there was a great battle in heaven… | Fr. Z’s Blog | said […] Source: And there was a great battle in...
- jameeka said Great wdtprs! Thank you very much, I appreciate th...
- jaykay said But, in positive vein, our parish purchased a rose...
- tskrobola said As mixed up as AL is, I don’t see how the la...
- Michael_Thoma said Anita Moore, Interestingly, Archbishop Sheen was v...
- jaykay said Excalibur: I’m thinking you don’t live...
- Charles E Flynn said I wrote to First Things about the broken link, and...
- Mike said Hitting people over the head with, or about, Moder...
- wanda said Thank you.
- un-ionized said We got ugly translations to go with lime green pol...
- Cornelius said They indict interpretations of AL, but not AL itse...
- Seppe said While not related to the topic of diaconal vesture...
- JabbaPapa said un-ionized says: Jabbapapa, maybe you should have...
- un-ionized said Jabbapapa, maybe you should have said than EVEN yo...
- un-ionized said I hope to go to Mass too. I will miss the nice ves...
- pelerin said Many thanks Father – I’ve found him! I...
- JabbaPapa said Tomorrow I must go to Holy Mass.
- JabbaPapa said oh dear Father Z, actually this beautiful prayer i...
- pray4truth said Endless thanks and prayers for you and this wonder...
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf said pelerin: Yes, Basil is still around. Instead of b...
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee) and Norcia (beer)!
Without you, there is no blog.
There is a subscription form at the bottom of this page!
Art by D Burkart
- Aedificantium enim unusquisque gladio erat accinctus.
- Nehemiah 4:18
"Where priest and people together face the same way, what we have is a cosmic orientation and also in interpretation of the Eucharist in terms of resurrection and trinitarian theology. Hence it is also an interpretation in terms of parousia, a theology of hope, in which every Mass is an approach to the return of Christ."
Joseph Ratzinger - The Feast of Faith"In those situations where homosexual unions have been legally recognized or have been given the legal status and rights belonging to marriage, clear and emphatic opposition is a duty. ... If all Catholics are obliged to oppose the legal recognition of homosexual unions, Catholic politicians are obliged to do so in a particular way, in keeping with their responsibility as politicians." CDF 2003
One of the most dangerous errors is that civilization is automatically bound to increase and spread. The lesson of history is the opposite; civilization is a rarity, attained with difficulty and easily lost. The normal state of humanity is barbarism, just as the normal surface of the planet is salt water. Land looms large in our imagination and civilization in history books, only because sea and savagery are to us less interesting. — C. S. Lewis
Ham Radio Stuff
Fr. Z - W9FRZ - OFF
QRV on: 00m 00000
Check Echolink WB0YLE-R - OFF
"One of the few things in life you can be absolutely sure about is that, if Management tells you it doesn't like your Tone, you are getting something right."
"Latin is a precise, essential language. It will be abandoned, not because it is unsuitable for the new requirements of progress, but because the new men will not be suitable for it. When the age of demagogues and charlatans begins, a language like Latin will no longer be useful, and any oaf will be able to give a speech in public and talk in such a way that he will not be kicked off the stage. The secret to this will consist in the fact that, by making use of words that are general, elusive, and sound good, he will be able to speak for an hour without saying anything. With Latin, this is impossible."
- - Giovanni Guareschi
Support them with prayer and fasting.
Help the Sisters. They have a building project. Get great soap (gifts, etc.) while helping REAL nuns!
Some OBLIGATORY reading…
Leave Voice Mail for Fr. Z
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Check out the Cardinal Newman Society feed!
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…... and there will be nearly 1,000,000 page loads this month.
A great hymnal…
Mystic Monk Coffee also has TEA!
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
My wish lists
Food For Thought
“The legalization of the termination of pregnancy is none other than the authorization given to an adult, with the approval of an established law, to take the lives of children yet unborn and thus incapable of defending themselves. It is difficult to imagine a more unjust situation, and it is very difficult to speak of obsession in a matter such as this, where we are dealing with a fundamental imperative of every good conscience — the defense of the right to life of an innocent and defenseless human being.”
- St. John Paul II
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
A morsel for thought…
"If your work is strong enough for someone to hate you, it's strong enough for someone to love you. The middle is what you should fear."
- Sean McCabe @seanwes
- Good news and bad from the Monks of Norcia!
- POLL: Did you see Rose vestments on “Gaudete” Sunday 2016?
- WDTPRS – 3rd Gaudete Sunday of Advent: All the orations at once!
- ADVENTCAzT 14: Conversion
- St. Juan Diego’s amazing miracle story
- A must read Open Letter to Pope Francis about Amoris Laetitia
- WDTPRS – 3rd Sunday of Advent: The childlike dash towards the long-desired thing
- And there was a great battle in heaven…
- ADVENTCAzT 13: Regem venturum Dominum * Venite adoremus.
- Blind woman healed by contact with relics and priestly prayers
- Hail, thou holy Throne of God
- Happy Birthday Blog!
- ADVENTCAzT 12: “You are the royal door for the heavenly King…”
- NEW CHRISTMAS CD from the Friars of the Dominican House of Studies
- ADVENTCAzT 11: “Let your words be their own defense”
- YOUR URGENT PRAYER REQUESTS
- Bp. Schneider: attacks on Four Cardinals, Five Dubia like time of Soviet Union
- 6 Dec – St Nicholas: SNOWFLAKE ALERT! NOT A “SAFE SPACE”!
- ADVENTCAzT 10: Every person is a precious mystery…
- What makes a parish “great”?
- CRUX: An exercise in contrasts concerning ‘Amoris laetitia’
- Send snail-mail Christmas Cards to Fr. Z – 2016
- “People, Look East (except the priest)!”
- ADVENTCAzT 09: Everything can be sanctified
- Fidel’s Ignoble Exit and A Drink Suggestion
- ACTION ITEM! Pontifical Vestments Fund Raising – WHITE
- ASK FATHER: Book recommendations for young men discerning priesthood
- ADVENTCAzT 08: Little drummer boys
- Veneral Sky Show
- WDTPRS – 2nd Sunday of Advent: LIONS!
For your consideration…
"One of the most dangerous errors is that civilization is automatically bound to increase and spread. The lesson of history is the opposite; civilization is a rarity, attained with difficulty and easily lost. The normal state of humanity is barbarism, just as the normal surface of the planet is salt water. Land looms large in our imagination and civilization in history books, only because sea and savagery are to us less interesting."
- C.S. Lewis
More food for thought:
“I expect to die in bed, my successor will die in prison and his successor will die a martyr in the public square. His successor will pick up the shards of a ruined society and slowly help rebuild civilization, as the church has done so often in human history.”
Francis Card. George
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Please follow me on Twitter!
- "It will never be known what acts of cowardice have been committed for fear of not looking sufficiently progressive."
Charles Pierre Péguy Notre Patrie, 1905"If I ought to write the truth, I am of the mind that I ought to flee all meetings of bishops, because I have never seen any happy or satisfactory outcome to any council, nor one that has deterred evils more than it has occasioned their acceptance and growth."
St. Gregory Nazianzus ep. 131 - AD 382“We will conquer your Rome, break your crosses, and enslave your women. If we do not reach that time, then our children and grandchildren will reach it, and they will sell your sons as slaves at the slave market.”
Reading and gift ideas!
Tag Archives: Michael Sean Winters
At Daily Kos you can find a good example of how the Left thinks. This is also an insight into how the catholic Left think, too. For confirmation just watch the combox of the Fishwrap. You see similar attitudes and … Continue reading
When liberals run out of ideas, they resort to personal attacks. This is the SOP of the venomous* Sean Michael Winters. Today’s example is HERE. Winters didn’t like Ed Peters’ examination of a suggestion made by Card. Scola about slimming down … Continue reading
UPDATE 30 Aug: In yet another proof that liberals have a nasty streak a mile wide but no sense of humor, Michael Sean Winters at the Fishwrap posted a snarky attack on both me and on Cardinal Burke. Let me … Continue reading
Over at the National Schismatic Reporter (aka Fishwrap) they are thrashing in the chum-strewn waters of the residences of American bishops. Those rich bishops! Stealing money from the mouths of the poor! They aren’t humble like …. like… like Pope Francis! … Continue reading
At Fishwrap Michael Sean Winters launched a smarmy attack on Samuel Gregg of Acton Institute. It seems that MSW read at least a few pages of Gregg’s book this time and came up with some negative conclusions. To say that Samuel … Continue reading
Over at Fishwrap (aka the National Schismatic Reporter), venomous writer Michael Sean Winters threw a spittle-flecked nutty about the appointment of Most Rev. Leonard Blair as the new Archbishop of Hartford. I won’t go into the details of MSW’s spittle-flecks. I’ll … Continue reading
Over at the National Schismatic Reporter (aka Fishwrap) here is a piece by Mr. Winter’s which shows something of their true colors over there: They don’t care about the fact that taxpayer dollars will be funding intrinsically evil actions and … Continue reading
Over at the National Schismatic Reporter (aka Fishwrap), Michael Sean Winters attacked Bp. Tobin for saying that he (Tobin) is disappointed that Pope Francis hasn’t spoken enough about abortion. Winters wrote: Lastly, a note to the nuncio. Unless you want … Continue reading
The National Schismatic Reporter’s Michael Sean Winters continues that non-Catholic site’s onslaught on orthodox bishops. Here is a sample: My colleague Brian Roewe reported yesterday on an interview given by Bishop Thomas Paprocki of Springfield, Illinois. There is much that … Continue reading
Was that booming CRACK I just heard the opening of the Fifth Seal? You know that things are getting pretty serious when Fr. Z endorses an idea from the National catholic Fishwrap. But it was a good idea, and around here … Continue reading