Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, come here first!
Enter Amazon through my search box and I will get a small percentage of what you spend. (Pssst - Can't see the search box? Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
PS: I added Amazon Search Boxes for the UK and for Canada at the bottom of the blog page. Copy and paste titles I mention into those boxes and - BAZINGA! - results appear as if by magic. Kindle? HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
PLEASE HELP with a TAX DEDUCTIBLE DONATION for new sets of Pontifical Vestments for the Extraordinary Form in WHITE and… BLUE!
Thanks to: JD!, MH!, Fr JZ!, MP, Fr AS, AS!, GG wow!, RH, DH, TP, TP, BC, CU, AC, AW // DK // JB // JL! // DY!!!!! // ARG! (check), EB! // SK, WH // BC // MH, JD!, MM, TH, JJ // LP!, DW wow!, AM!!!!!, MH, MM!!! // JL // TS!, AR! TD! // MH, TC // C&BH // JC!, MMac! // KK SK // MT // MR!, JK!, WR!!! // CD'A // GB! LP, NDeC, TG, EW!, JK, JM! // CC // DH, WK. JS // PW // DSD, KS, TB // CM, AW, AW // MS, Fr. RS // LP, MT!!!!!, SG, PM, NBW, RK // LT, BR, CU, BM, PR
“The liturgy is the principal organ of the Church’s Ordinary Magisterium.”
- Pius XI
If my people who are called by my name humble themselves, and pray and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.
- 2 Chronicles 7:14 RSV
Card. Sarah’s new book, Le Force du Silence (US HERE – UK HERE), hitherto only in French, is now available to PRE-ORDER in ENGLISH. It will be released on 15 April. A great reading gift to yourselves or friends.
US HERE – UK HERE
CLICK and say your Daily Offering!
"We as Catholics have not properly combated (the culture) because we have not been taught our Catholic Faith, especially in the depth needed to address these grave evils of our time. This is a failure of catechesis both of children and young people that has been going on for fifty years. It is being addressed, but it needs much more radical attention... What has also contributed greatly to the situation is an exaltation of the virtue of tolerance which is falsely seen as the virtue which governs all other virtues. In other words, we should tolerate other people in their immoral actions to the extent that we seem also to accept the moral wrong. Tolerance is a virtue, but it is certainly not the principal virtue; the principal virtue is charity... Charity means speaking the truth. I have encountered it (not speaking the truth) many times myself as a priest and bishop. It is something we simply need to address. There is far too much silence — people do not want to talk about it because the topic is not 'politically correct.' But we cannot be silent any longer."
Raymond Card. Burke
Art by D Burkart
- Benedict Joseph said Good news. Good news. May it find its parallel in...
- Legisperitus said Most welcome development. Now, if someone will onl...
- benedetta said This is deeply consoling to me personally, and I t...
- Charles E Flynn said @Charivari Rob, McGurn, William. Wall Street Journ...
- rhhenry said Changing the text before official publication woul...
- Makemeaspark said This is completely awesome!
- Charivari Rob said What paper is this from, please?
- majuscule said I’m so glad to see Kellyanne in the spotligh...
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf said carolina publican says: the opposite way you hope?...
- guans said … and this all started in “The Year of
- hwriggles4 said Mr. Flynn: Good point and good post. I remember th...
- Glennonite said After eight years of hot, stagnant, doldrums, I...
- Charles E Flynn said From Kellyanne Conway: Feminism’s Nightmare:...
- carolina publican said Not to be a fun sponge, but though the publishing...
- frmgcmma said @ gaudete, Imrahil and Fr. Kelly: Thank you for yo...
- DAndrew said But Father, what about that Gospel passage? “...
- Catholic Tech Geek said If you have the man power, a Solemn High Mass shou...
- Grabski said The people are with Francis Well yes. Looser mores...
- tradition4all said Father Zuhlsdorf, was the a subdeacon a clergyman,...
- StephenB12 said Absolutely beautiful.
- SenexCalvus said Semper Gumby, Can we blame Muslims for trying to s...
- crystal4zc said What a beautiful sight to see. I wish the parishe...
- Gabriel Syme said Every aspect of the photos proclaims the beauty an...
- Kostadinov said hope the church was packed!
- TUESDAY EDITION | Big Pulpit said […] Don’t Be Duped by the Women’...
- Daniel W said Thanks for this post, I agree purpose of amendment...
- Grant M said Some years ago, while still waiting for the Tribun...
- mo7 said I think you’re the only other person beside...
- mo7 said The vestments are great! Even the altar is draped...
- thomas tucker said Well said, Elizabeth D. How ironic that this fello...
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee) and Norcia (beer)!
- Aedificantium enim unusquisque gladio erat accinctus.
- Nehemiah 4:18
"Where priest and people together face the same way, what we have is a cosmic orientation and also in interpretation of the Eucharist in terms of resurrection and trinitarian theology. Hence it is also an interpretation in terms of parousia, a theology of hope, in which every Mass is an approach to the return of Christ."
Joseph Ratzinger - The Feast of Faith"In those situations where homosexual unions have been legally recognized or have been given the legal status and rights belonging to marriage, clear and emphatic opposition is a duty. ... If all Catholics are obliged to oppose the legal recognition of homosexual unions, Catholic politicians are obliged to do so in a particular way, in keeping with their responsibility as politicians." CDF 2003
One of the most dangerous errors is that civilization is automatically bound to increase and spread. The lesson of history is the opposite; civilization is a rarity, attained with difficulty and easily lost. The normal state of humanity is barbarism, just as the normal surface of the planet is salt water. Land looms large in our imagination and civilization in history books, only because sea and savagery are to us less interesting. — C. S. Lewis
Ham Radio Stuff
Fr. Z - W9FRZ - OFF
QRV on: 00m 00000
Check Echolink WB0YLE-R - OFF
"One of the few things in life you can be absolutely sure about is that, if Management tells you it doesn't like your Tone, you are getting something right."
"Latin is a precise, essential language. It will be abandoned, not because it is unsuitable for the new requirements of progress, but because the new men will not be suitable for it. When the age of demagogues and charlatans begins, a language like Latin will no longer be useful, and any oaf will be able to give a speech in public and talk in such a way that he will not be kicked off the stage. The secret to this will consist in the fact that, by making use of words that are general, elusive, and sound good, he will be able to speak for an hour without saying anything. With Latin, this is impossible."
- - Giovanni Guareschi
Support them with prayer and fasting.
Help the Sisters. They have a building project. Get great soap (gifts, etc.) while helping REAL nuns!
Some OBLIGATORY reading…
Leave Voice Mail for Fr. Z
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Check out the Cardinal Newman Society feed!
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…... and there will be nearly 1,000,000 page loads this month.
A great hymnal…
Mystic Monk Coffee also has TEA!
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
My wish lists
Food For Thought
“The legalization of the termination of pregnancy is none other than the authorization given to an adult, with the approval of an established law, to take the lives of children yet unborn and thus incapable of defending themselves. It is difficult to imagine a more unjust situation, and it is very difficult to speak of obsession in a matter such as this, where we are dealing with a fundamental imperative of every good conscience — the defense of the right to life of an innocent and defenseless human being.”
- St. John Paul II
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
A morsel for thought…
"If your work is strong enough for someone to hate you, it's strong enough for someone to love you. The middle is what you should fear."
- Sean McCabe @seanwes
- Kelly Ann Conway, The March For Life, SCOTUS, Roe v Wade
- Solemn Mass Green Eye Candy
- Is ‘Amoris laetitia’ compromised because of ghostwriter plagiarism?
- ASK FATHER: Can absolution be granted when no purpose of amendment exists?
- Canonist Ed Peters on The Maltese Fiasco
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- WDTPRS – 2nd Ordinary Sunday (NO) & 2nd after Epiphany (TLM): We are beggars
- IMPORTANT: Interview with Card. Caffarra about the Dubia and ‘Amoris laetitia’ confusion
- ACTION ITEM! Pontifical Vestments Fund Raising UPDATED!
- 14 January: Happy Feast of the Ass!
- Ninevah 90 starts 13 February
- RECENT POSTS and THANKS to readers, benefactors
- Italian Archbishop: “In 10 years we will all be Muslims because of our stupidity.”
- Maltese Bishops Go To The ‘Amoris laetitia’ Zoo: Disaster… inexcusable nonsense… green-lighting sacrilege
- Paul Ehrlich to speak at the VATICAN?
- ASK FATHER: Diluting Holy Salty Water… Salty Holy Water… just plain Holy Water
- Never underestimate the power of an invitation
- Pope Francis, Freemasonry, 2017
- The knock on effect of small acts performed with love
- UPDATED Send snail-mail Christmas Cards to Fr. Z – 2016
- URGENT PRAYER REQUEST
- A serious Catholic way to “accompany” the sinner?
- Damian Thompson on Pope Francis
- Background support for the Five Dubia
- ASK FATHER: “I was filling out a family liturgical calendar and got to thinking…”
- Magister: Comments on the state of the Curia
- Card. Burke’s interview in ‘La Verità”: More Cardinals are completely with the Four
- St Paul – Argument Of The Month – Live Stream
- Order of Malta to Pope Francis: No thanks.
- Another look at Fr. Cameli in Jesuit-run ‘America’: Use of Scripture
For your consideration…
"One of the most dangerous errors is that civilization is automatically bound to increase and spread. The lesson of history is the opposite; civilization is a rarity, attained with difficulty and easily lost. The normal state of humanity is barbarism, just as the normal surface of the planet is salt water. Land looms large in our imagination and civilization in history books, only because sea and savagery are to us less interesting."
- C.S. Lewis
More food for thought:
“I expect to die in bed, my successor will die in prison and his successor will die a martyr in the public square. His successor will pick up the shards of a ruined society and slowly help rebuild civilization, as the church has done so often in human history.”
Francis Card. George
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Please follow me on Twitter!
- "It will never be known what acts of cowardice have been committed for fear of not looking sufficiently progressive."
Charles Pierre Péguy Notre Patrie, 1905"If I ought to write the truth, I am of the mind that I ought to flee all meetings of bishops, because I have never seen any happy or satisfactory outcome to any council, nor one that has deterred evils more than it has occasioned their acceptance and growth."
St. Gregory Nazianzus ep. 131 - AD 382“We will conquer your Rome, break your crosses, and enslave your women. If we do not reach that time, then our children and grandchildren will reach it, and they will sell your sons as slaves at the slave market.”
Reading and gift ideas!
Tag Archives: Mystic Monk Coffee
URGENT UPDATE! I just had a note from “Brother Java” of the Wyoming Carmelites. On your behalf I wrote to suggest decaf in K-Cups as well. Here is the response: Dear Father, Thanks for the suggestion! We’re going to add … Continue reading
During the summer months I occasionally mention iced-coffee. Did you know that the Wyoming Carmelites have a coffee maker especially for iced-coffee? Ecce! The Bodum Iced-Coffee Maker. It is like a French press. You add the coffee and cold water, stir (always … Continue reading
For your opportune knowledge. The Wyoming Carmelites are offering a new Coffee of the Month: Kenyan AA Auction Lot Representing the very summit of coffee perfection, the Kenyan AA Auction Lot is virtually flawless in every respect. The characteristic acidity … Continue reading
Other than the fact that I get a commission every time you buy Mystic Monk Coffee using my links… and please, I ask you to do so, because it really helps… this video will also show you why I like … Continue reading
It is about 90°F and high humidity. Sooooo…. thirstyyyyy….. It’s time for a glass of iced tea! Refresh your Mystic Monk Tea or Coffee supply HERE. In the meantime, I made new editions of the Catholic and Faithful – American … Continue reading
It is muggy and hot and sunny and the perfect day to make iced-tea or iced-coffee. I make jars of sun tea. QUAERITUR: Where might get good tea and coffee these days while at the same time helping sound and … Continue reading
Yesterday (and early today) was the super rare Transit of Venus, but a while back there was a spiffing eclipse of the Moon. Here is a great photo from Astronomy Pic of the Day, of said eclipse over Cody, WY, … Continue reading
From a reader: Father Z, don’t forget to let everyone know that Mystic Monk has great tea! I’m abstaining from coffee (decaf) until Obama leaves office! I’ve been off for 2 months. God bless you! Okay! Did you know that … Continue reading
Starbucks promotes contrary-to-nature sex. Fr. Z suggests Mystic Monk Coffee as an alternative lifestyle choice.
As I posted before, Starbucks as a whole entity is backing contrary-to-nature sex and the perversion of marriage. Decide whether or not you want to buy your coffee from Starbucks. I suggest the alternative of buying Mystic Monk Coffee. You … Continue reading
The Carmelite men of the Carmel of the Immaculate Heart of Mary are building their monastery in Wyoming and earning their daily bread by roasting, blending, and selling you coffee and tea. Their seasonal Pascha Java is back at Mystic … Continue reading
Need another reason to buy Mystic Monk Coffee? As if my requests weren’t enough? As if helping Wyoming Carmelites wasn’t enough? From LifeSiteNews.com: In news that will come as a heavy blow to many coffee lovers, Starbucks has officially backed … Continue reading
Update, below. Originally posted 12 January. ____ There is a particularly annoying pattern in my life’s days. When it comes to my “tech stuff”, life goes along as smoothly as if it were zooming down a newly paved road. Then, … Continue reading
The Bishop of Cheyenne, Wyoming (covering the whole state), His Excellency Most Reverend Paul Etienne, has a blog. I have posted about his hunting with the Mystic Monk Coffee Carmelites in northern Wyoming. Also in the Diocese of Cheyenne is … Continue reading
First, thanks to everyone who is buying Mystic Monk Coffee from the Carmelites in Wyoming. I have noticed that the Carmelites have added a 30 Pack Sampler for $60. If you didn’t want to try them all yourself, imagine them … Continue reading
A reader sent a splendid photo of coffee things be prepped as gifts! What a wise, thoughtful, intelligent, cultured, classy, diligent, thrifty reader! Can you guess where this stuff came from? Imagine what a great combination that would have made … Continue reading