Not to be missed…
Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Mariana2: Thanks, Father!
- Imrahil: I myself have attended once the anticipate d Sunday Mass, or most of it, in Notre Dame, and there were genuine worshipper s there. It was no more, I guess, of “jus t a tourist...
- Charles E Flynn: This Wikipedia article is about the law under which churches in France built before 1905 were confiscate d by the government : 1905 French law on the Separation of the Churches and...
- Suburbanbanshee: Up until this week, Notre Dame had Mass on weekdays at 8 AM, 9 AM, 12:15 PM, and 6:15 PM (6:30 PM on Sat.). The 8 and 9 AM Masses were in the choir, and the other two were at the...
- jaykay: It really does look great. The “fla mes” from the old, tacky, as you say, rack in my opinion really add to it. Tam antiqua, tam nova. How good that you have craftspers ons who...
- jaykay: Gerard Plourde: yes, I agree, but I’d say that has always been the case. We are social animals and going with the flow, the societal norm, seems ingrained … when “...
- Roy Hobbs: Over the past 20 years or so, I’ve been to Notre Dame three times. In each of those times, I do not recall ever seeing the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass, not even in a side-chape l....
- Chris in Maryland 2: Saint Joan of Arc, fair and brave, pray for us, and for Notre Dame, and it’s faithful, in Paris, and all over the word.
- Gerard Plourde: An important question to ask is whether unbelief has increased or whether contempora ry societal norms masked the actual state of affairs. How many doubters or unbeliever s atten...
- JamesA: The O’Co nnor quote brings to mind another from C. S. Lewis : “Pai n insists upon being attended to. God whispers to us in our pleasures, speaks in our conscience , but shouts...
- jaykay: Anita Moore: good point. The fifth reason for having five First Saturdays of reparation that Sr. Lucia was given, after a vision of Our Lord in May 1930, was because of insults to Her...
- Glennonite: Father: What are your thoughts on which altar the debris landed upon… ;and which altar was spared?
- Fr_Sotelo: “ 230;got his crazy ass arrested.& #8221; I think this is the first time I have ever seen this phrase, in this blog, and I laughed out loud– ;REALLY loud. I even start...
- Deacon Nicholas: The attacks may be escalating soon. An Orthodox monk, abbot of his monastery in Washington state, was pumping gas yesterday when he was sucker-pun ched by a stranger. Our churc...
- HvonBlumenthal: Father, I believe you read Spanish. I hope I haven’t got that wrong. This is a particular ly poignant eyewitness account by a Bielorussi an living in Paris of the spontaneou s...
- Anita Moore, O.P.(lay): It seems to me that lately there is an upswing in open attacks specifical ly on the Mother of God in the form of destructio n of her images and statues — and, perha...
- mibethda: Offering pieces of charred wood sounds like an excellent idea. An even bolder one – auction the ‘new ’ altar to the highest bidder.
- The Astronomer: The primary purpose of Notre Dame cathedral was/is not to serve as a sightseein g stop for hordes of tourists with cameras and cell phones taking selfies. It is for the worsh...
- Imrahil: Well, no, there was not a good point in the sermon, because there was no sermon. However, we were truly blessed to celebrate, by permission of the Holy See, to celebrate the Palm Sunday...
- oldCatholigirl: The Islamic attacks may also help spark the Faith̵ 1;or at least some aspects of it. Active opposition sparked it in Ireland for years.
- Pius Admirabilis: nine man morris is right. Getting informatio n is really easy these days, and it is just as easy to obtain the texts of the exorcism texts. As a theologian , I have to work with...
- JustaSinner: Men, with low-tech equipment, Love of God and their faith over a century built such Cathedrals . What could we DO TODAY, with our technology , equipment and a century? Only things...
- lifelong Catholic: I watched Michael Hichborn speak about the danger of what Notre Dame Cathedral may become in the rebuilding . My questions: Will it be a “mod ernistR 21; cathedral with...
- barryaltarserver1985: Many thanks Father, I wish you and all your readers every blessing for the Sacred Triduum.
- Rob in Maine: Shameless plug alert! A friend of mine, Loren Coleman, who was a sociology professor, wrote a book; “The Copycat Effect: How the Media and Popular Culture Trigger the Mayhem in...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- LENTCAzT 2019 45 – Good Friday: The ultimate pulpit
- TMSM: Holy Thursday Mass with the new vestments
- A good article in Crisis about France. Fr. Z adds a short rant.
- LENTCAzT 2019 44 – Holy Thursday: Sin is in the blood
- So a guy with gas cans walks into @StPatsNYC in Midtown Manhattan…
- ARRIVED: Tenebrae Hearse! And a successful bout with Zuhlsdorf’s Law
- PRAYERCAzT: What does the Latin Exorcism really sound like? FOR PRIESTS ONLY – UPDATED
- Fundraising idea for #NotreDame
- VIDEO: Interview with Fr. Jean-Marc Fournier
- WDTPRS – Spy Wednesday, the last Collect of Lent
- VIDEO: Interior of #NotreDame after the fire. WHEW!
- LENTCAzT 2019 43 – Wednesday of Holy Week: In a cataclysm, something must be salvaged.
- VIDEO – The last rite in #NotreDame was… this?
- About #NotreDame and the fire and the altar. Just sayin’…
- Fr. Z rants about #NotreDame fire and the Faith in the Church’s “eldest daughter”
- Inside burning #NotreDame a human chain saved relics, Blessed Sacrament. Fr. Jean-Marc Fournier – OORAH!
- Happy Birthday, Benedict XVI! Ad multos vivas faustissimos annos
- LENTCAzT 2019 42 – Tuesday of Holy Week: It wasn’t a suggestion
- An early ALLELUIA for the vaulting of #NotreDame – It held!
- Fire – roof of Notre Dame of Paris – Will this shock awaken the Faith?
- LENTCAzT 2019 41 – Monday of Holy Week: Cleansing costs
- POLL: @GameOfThrones – Final Season #GoTS8
- Your Palm Sunday Sermon Notes
- LENTCAzT 2019 40 – Palm Sunday: Something borrowed
- ASK FATHER: The priest is a jerk and has hang-ups
- ASK FATHER: My unbaptized wife insists on contraception
- A detail in a detail in a header on this blog and some details about a liturgical detail.
- What went through my during the Gospel this morning?
- LENTCAzT 2019 39 – Saturday the 5th Week of Lent: The hour has come
- More thoughts on Benedict XVI’s 6000K word essay on The Present Crisis
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Tag Archives: NCFishwrap
Let the games begin! The Fishwrap (aka National Schismatic Reporter) is now between a rock and a hard spot. The NSR and LCWR are practically one flesh. At the same time, NSR has been crooning about Pope Francis new “humble” … Continue reading
Are we surprised when the National catholic Reporter (aka Fishwrap) posts a a misleading, prejudicial report about a sound and strong Catholic bishop? Here is Fishwrap’s piece: Bishop Robert Morlino of Madison, Wis., (Rep. Paul Ryan’s home diocese) gives some political … Continue reading
Vincenzo, at Sancte Pater, had a little fun with the Fishwrap today (aka National catholic Reporter). You can’t make up stuff like this. He saw one of NCR‘s tweets: And so…. The great Vincenzo comes through again! But then, they … Continue reading
The Fishwrap (aka the ultra-liberal dissenting National Catholic Reporter) has published a prayer written by a woman religious in advance of responding to the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith and the upcoming annual meeting of the Leadership Conference … Continue reading
Catholic League on National Catholic Fishwrap’s insults to US Bishops, Holy See (or “Dog Bites Man”, “Sun Rises At Dawn”, etc.)
From The Catholic League: BISHOPS ACCUSED OF “THOUGHT CONTROL” May 9, 2012 The following comment against the Vatican and the bishops, made in response to concerns over the Leadership Conference of Women Religious [LCWR, a subsidiary of the Magisterium of … Continue reading
Sally Quinn of WaPo offers her stunningly shallow take on the reforming efforts by the Holy See and USCCB now being applied to the LCWR (a subsidiary of the Magisterium of Nuns). Aside from the risible claims Quinn makes, I found … Continue reading
This is from Media Report: The Usual Suspects: NY Times, Dissident Priest Support Anti-Catholic SNAP With Falsehoods, Attacks on Church Anti-Catholicism in Action: The New York Times, Rev. Thomas P. Doyle, and SNAP The New York Times is again shilling … Continue reading
From the dissident Fishwrap‘s long-time dissident columnist, Fr. Richard McBrien, comes this piece about the new, corrected translation. Pay close attention to the contempt he shows for a vast number of people and also the attitude of disobedience he promotes. … Continue reading
Sr. Fiedler may finally be having some memory problems. She has a deeply confused and poorly written piece in the National catholic Fishwrap lauding the Magisterium of Hillary Clinton, who definitively teaches Fishwrap about the human rights of people who … Continue reading
Just to help you out of your Friday slump and into the weekend, the Fishwrap comes through again! Here is an article in which the Fishwrap attacks Archbishops Chaput, Dolan, and Bp. Finn. The time is now: childhood sexual abuse … Continue reading
The National catholic Reporter … quousque tandem? The Fishwrap brings us today the “sermon” of a woman who thinks she is a priest. She is a member of the big-puppet crew, the wymynpryst thingie. Honestly, as I read this I … Continue reading
Over at the National catholic Fishwrap today one Charles Morris has a rather positive piece about Ember Days, which traditionally fall this week. Readers here know all about Ember Days. It is nice to see that readers at NCF will … Continue reading
Over at the Fishwrap, their elder-dissenter Richard McBrien posted a column about shifts in Mass attendance. He works from a study about the “‘Supersizing’ the U.S. Catholic Parish Life” conducted by the Center for Applied Research in the Apostolate (CARA) … Continue reading
The Theological Studies dust up, NCR, creeping infallibility, and the ecclesial vocation of the theologian
There is a bit of a dust up concerning the journal Theological Studies, a prominent English language publication, sometimes useful and much venerated by liberals. In 2004 Theological Studies published an article by two theologians arguing that the Church should … Continue reading