Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- youngcatholicgirl: These comments about seeking spiritual direction in the confession al remind me of what a friend of mine was told by a Dominican sister: “Don ’t use Confession for...
- Cincinnati Priest: Thanks, Fr. Z. A couple of tips. Pastors: Please post an examinatio n of conscience prominentl y on your parish website so that people can find it *before* confession s. Regard...
- semperficatholic: Amen to that! I used to pray Cardinal Arinze would be elected Pope; also Cardinal Sarah. There is still hope; hope will help you cope.
- Henry Edwards: “the bishops of that sad place are going to the zoo about Communion for non-Cathol ics.” ; Is the problem in Germany simply the apparent fact that the German bishops have...
- RichR: If you are sincere in your penitence, wordiness is unnecessar y. God knows your heart and your sins better than you do. The priest just needs to know your sins (number and kind) to exerc...
- robtbrown: Malta says: 24 May 2018 at 7:58 AM It seems he contradict s himself to some degree on the issue of homosexual ity (cf: http://the week.com/a rticles/77 4517/pope- francis-cu nning-l...
- robtbrown: Jhayes, Those with deeply rooted homosexual tendencies and those who practice homosexual acts: Who has been excluded (other than heterosexu als)?
- JPD: I think if someone wants to make a General Confession ; then yes more time will be required. However, I have stood in the confession line waiting for 10, 15, 20 minutes for one person to...
- JonPatrick: As a way of strengthen ing your faith I would also recommend “The Catholic Catechism: by Fr. John Hardon SJ. Don’ t be put off by the SJ at the end of his name, he is very...
- Augustine Thompson O.P.: I agree with Father. Sins are sins. They need to be confessed. And in confession that is it. I have often had penitents who have not been to confession in decades (as all...
- Nan: Have you brought that priest to Abp’ s attention?
- Grant M: I remember reading somewhere, possibly, on this very blog, an anecdote pertinent to this situation. Protestant to her Catholic friend: “I wish I could receive communion in your churc...
- JesusFreak84: jhayes touched on what I was thinking as I read this. IF there is a priest who experience s same-sex temptation s BUT resists them just as strongly as his heterosexu al brother...
- JesusFreak84: I can think of another time where an appointmen t might be best, even necessary: if the person is handicappe d in some way that requires accommodat ion. I’ve been in very few...
- iamlucky13: Does it matter if a priest makes a convincing argument that Luke 13 and other passages are misunderst ood, and all are saved? Can’ t we strive to be the best people we can, to do...
- Julia_Augusta: Last year when I came back to the Church after decades away, I made an appointmen t with a priest because I knew my Confession would take a long time. I had decades worth of sins to...
- TonyO: But it seems every priest, bishop and such have their own opinions about salvation& #8230;Who is right? Here is a dose of help in knowing how to find the ones to trust, and to identify the...
- andia: Would you recommend one make an appointmen t if its been a Long time since one went to confession ? Say years or even decades? Or if one is unsure how anymore? [That could be a good idea. Of...
- JSzczuka: The thing that bothered me (most) about this article/au thor was the short paragraph neat the end of it that reads: “Jua n Carlos Cruz is gay, that’ ;s how God made him, and...
- jhayes: According to Crux, the comments were about certain, but not all persons with homosexual tendencies . The distinctio n is consistent with existing policy statements . ROME- According to...
- robtbrown: Antonin says, His mandate was to clean up the Curia, address financial issues, and enact certain ecclesiast ical reforms called for since VII (increase role of Bishop conference s,...
- Jack in NH: “Frankly, I think that the number of the saved is a good deal smaller than the number of the damned.” That’s why we have a ‘Highway to hell’, and only a ‘Stairway to Heaven’! ;-)
- Semper Gumby: Those Honus Wagner tobacco cards are rare, no wonder they had it in a separate case, and probably accessed by drawbridge over a crocodile- filled moat. VP: Thanks for that poem,...
- G1j: Our parish priest will not deny anyone communion either. He says he is not in a position to judge whether or not the individual is worthy of receiving. He says that is on the individual . What...
- Fr_Andrew: The terminolog y used by moral theologian s, I think helps. When we confess a sin and receive absolution for it then this sin is directly remitted. When we make our best effort to...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- Concerning innovations
- ASK FATHER: Deacons vesting in dalmatics for concelebrations
- ASK FATHER: How do we get the TLM where we are?
- Card. Arinze: If you want Communion, become a Catholic
- URGENT PRAYER – IRELAND
- ASK FATHER: When to make an appointment for confession
- ASK FATHER: Sorting out confusing, contradictory messages from priests
- Wherein Fr. Z assigns some worthwhile reading
- Met “Gay-la” and new movie. Coincidence? I think not.
- ASK FATHER: Forgetting sins during confession
- Day Of Prayer For The Church In China
- Pope Francis on homosexual seminarians: This bridge is closed!
- My View For Awhile: Urban Devastation Edition
- Does Pope Francis have a “long game” strategy?
- Interview about Honduran Card. Rodriguez Maradiaga
- Canadian Jesuit Archbp. Prendergast comments on crazy German bishops’ scheme
- Pope’s words about God making someone “gay”
- Some cool stuff, old and new, in Rome and Detroit
- @Card_R_Sarah terrific sermon for Pentecost and pilgrimage
- A Bishop calls on his brother Bishops to celebrate the Traditional Pontifical Mass, TLM
- “I originally sent you this story 8 years ago, for the brick by brick file…” UPDATE
- “Where there is no temple there shall be no homes.”
- Pastor Iuventus on the appalling Met “Gay-la”
- Chilling – probably correct – explanation of mass school shootings
- A Pentecost Monday lesson: “And Paul VI wept.”
- WDTPRS – Pentecost Sunday: that strong stable edge
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- BACK IN PRINT! The Heresy of Formlessness
- My View For Awhile: Creston Edition
- “I used to think hosts found on floors was Traditional Catholic hyperbole…”
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
I travel a good deal. As I get older, it takes more of a toll. My main airline - sigh - is Delta. Were I to get some Gift Cards for Delta, I could more easily upgrade for longer flights. I'm just sayin'. I'd be much obliged. HERE
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
A book by an old friend…
Tag Archives: NSR
Over at Fishwrap (aka National Schismatic Reporter) there is a hypocritical, mendacious piece which I bring to your attention.
Peter Feuerhard wrote about the eeeeevils of “restorationism”. This “-ism”, involves “bringing traditionalist approaches to liturgy and governance of parish life”.
Imagine such an evil thing! … Continue reading
First, here is a link to something that I posted some time ago: HERE
Once again the National Schismatic Reporter (aka Fishwrap) is stumping in favor of the ordination of women to the priesthood. This is what the Fishwrap does: they dissent from the Church’s teaching … Continue reading
Fr. Walker was murdered and Fr. Terra was assaulted so badly that he is in critical condition. These priests worked among the poor of Phoenix in a pretty dodgy part of town.
They are beloved of their flock and they exemplify … Continue reading
Most of what Michael Sean Winters posts at Fishwrap (aka National Schismatic Reporter) gets my yawn, but it’s Saturday and I have three free minutes. HERE
If this isn’t a case of a pot saying “You’re black!” to the kettle, I don’t … Continue reading
Fishwrap (aka National Schismatic Reporter) tested new depths of tacky today. They published, on the 20th anniversary of St. John Paul II’s Apostolic Letter Ordinatio sacerdotalis, a piece by the excommunicated “lady tambourine ‘priest‘” (perhaps you recall the Bob Dylan parody … Continue reading
I did a double-take when I saw at Fishwrap (aka National Schismatic Reporter) the title of their most recent editorial. I am not making this up:
Climate change is church’s No. 1 pro-life issue
Is there a face-palm icon?
If there is a certain … Continue reading
With a big hug for Reese and Winters over at National Schismatic Reporter, there is an article from the NY Post that deserves your attention.
Also, I ask you readers for a favor, below.
My trademark emphases and comments:
Meet the new pope — same … Continue reading
There has been some informative posts in the interwebs about the “annulment” process.
At the National Schismatic Reporter (aka Fishwrap) a priest, Fr. Peter Daly (Archd. Washington DC), after whining about a “top-down hierarchical church” and getting the concept of sensus … Continue reading