Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: Julian Barkin: So what do we then do to hold a pontifical TLM? Fret not. Here’ ;s my advice. First, do not let the perfect be the enemy of the good. You do your best with...
- APX: When you have a Traditiona l funeral with the body present, there are extra fees you have to pay for: -embalming -grave liner -burial plot (a full size plot is more than that for an urn)...
- HyacinthClare: Years ago, I saw that movie about the Vendee done by the children. Everybody on this site was talking about it. Someone said his wife embroidere d crosses on their children 8217;s...
- Ms. M-S: Jesus wept for our sins. Are we such ingrates as not to offer such unworthy tears as we are able to shed?
- Anita Moore, O.P.(lay): I happen to have a blue Dutch oven just like yours, which I inherited from my mother. These days the stores don’t seem to carry lard. The “lard” is usually vegetable short...
- MissBee: So a long standing question of mine, as a Grateful Dead fan. The song Friend of the Devil – I have always liked the song a lot but listened with some Catholic Angst and Trepidatio n....
- Julian Barkin: Father, this is a great idea except there is one practical/ monetary snag … not all the pontifical liturgical items are available to purchase for a TLM! I have been able to...
- Semper Gumby: SKAY and msc: Good points. LeeGilbert : Good point about China, though your remarks about Russia and the “mil itary-indu strial complex 221; are off the mark. The forme...
- Kenneth Wolfe: To those who say cremation (technical ly allowed today by the Church if the ashes are buried, but explicitly not preferred) is much cheaper than a traditiona l burial (clea...
- The Masked Chicken: Actually, the second quote is more fully rendered: “The difference between the love of a man and the love of a woman is that a man will always give reasons for loving, but a...
- Dad of Six: Thank you Father for being there to send along the blessing to our priest. Our hives have not survived that last two winters, and I pray that with this blessing they will be hale and...
- The Masked Chicken: Dear Tony, Ven Fulton Sheen has an excellent chapter on the difference between the love of a man and a woman in his book, Life is Worth Living. Among the quotes I was able to...
- Joy65: PTK_70 “I call it the sanity of the South.R 21; THANK YOU JESUS that our Faith down here is strong and we try to keep it getting stronger each and every day. Lafayette, Louisi...
- MrsMacD: The Hidden Rebellion website sells Vendée badges, my husband bought two.
- JamesA: I’ll second that Vendee morale badge idea. Since you didn’ ;t say it this time, Father, I will. In this age, as we creep (or hurtle) toward the End of Days, we need to put on the...
- Herman Joseph: Ah yes, the spiritual plan, we’v e got. Beyond that, I think it’s a good idea, not in any morbid sense, to keep in mind that life is short, death will lead, in Christ, to...
- Eric: Father, Michael Matt is using the emblem in starting the League of the Sacred Heart. Lapels coming! https://re mnantnewsp aper.com/w eb/index.p hp/article s/item/396 9-league-o f-the-s...
- Fallibilissimo: I really believe the French Revolution was one of the most decisive and evil moments in modern history. It was more the culminatio n of something brewing and developing over time...
- Markus: Ossuary with Pall?
- Fallibilissimo: I love it!!! Fr Z, sei un grande!
- PTK_70: @Kenneth Wolfe̷ 0;.Dependi ng on one’ s perspectiv e, the Diocese of Lake Charles may be the center of the universe. In any case, it’s barely more remote from Rome than,...
- Chris Garton-Zavesky: Can you think of a good reason why the system is preventing me from posting here?
- Chris Garton-Zavesky: My family and I have just finished watching War of the Vendee, and my son gave me as a FatherR 17;s Day present The Hidden Rebellion: the untold story of the French Revol...
- Julia_Augusta: Thank you for the recipe and detailed instructio ns and photos. I have saved this post to my Evernote for use in the winter. I love cooking. It brings me so much happiness to cook...
- Dismas: After reviewing the article by Madame Defarge, I noticed that his [sic] unquenchab le, seething anger was not at the “inj usticeR 21; of Husted v. A. Philip Randolph Institute or...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- Lovely, drippy, syrupy TLM and vocation video. Then Fr. Z rants about crying.
- The image of the badge of the Vendée came to mind today
- ACTION ITEM! Spiritual Bouquet for Bp. Morlino
- Fr. Z’s Kitchen: Garofolato!
- ASK FATHER: Cremains in funeral Mass, Traditional Requiem
- Pontifical Mass in Lake Charles. A brief and yet optimistic rant from Fr. Z.
- The last 10 minutes…
- 17 July 1794: “Permission to die, Mother?”
- 17 July 2018 – 100 years after
- Cobblestones, new vestments, and swag for Zed Heads
- More shallow, angry, cliché feminist rubbish from Fishwrap
- The demographics of church participation are shifting.
- ACTION ITEM! Urgent prayer request for a priest
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- “St Swithin’s day if thou be fair…”
- What priests can – with credibility – do in marriage preparation
- French stones and soutanes
- US Association of Consecrated Virgins condemns confusing new rules from Holy See
- What could possibly go wrong?
- ¡Hagan lío! in Poland. Young, and raising hell…. correction… razing Hell.
- WDTPRS – 15th Ordinary Sunday: We can stray off the path to the right or to the left.
- 12 July: Sts. Louis Martin and Marie-Azélie Guérin
- Does “Beans” @MassimoFaggioli undermine ‘Humanae vitae’?
- ASK FATHER: Mom baptized my child in the bathtub
- INTERESTING UPDATE – Pope Francis phones Gianni Vattimo, philosopher of “weak thought”
- SSPX ELECTS NEW SUPERIOR GENERAL – UPDATED
- Ex ore infantium perfecisti laudem
- ASK FATHER: Should a priest have a day off?
- ASK FATHER: Traditional Latin Mass in a Protestant church?
- Madame Defarge (@MichaelSWinters) is upset that people don’t find the Terror – applied to real people today – very funny.
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Tag Archives: nuns
The dying out of women religious, and the crisis of religious, priestly vocations. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
If anyone in the English speaking world knows what the status quaestionis is concerning American women religious it’s Ann Carey. She has written insightful books about, especially, why some orders are imploding from their own suicide pact with modernity. See … Continue reading
As July zooms by, and August swiftly comes, we all recall I’m sure that quote of Emerson, “Do what we can, summer will have its flies.”
Thus, my mind turns to the upcoming annual assembly of the Leadership Conference of Women Religious, LCWR.
Once again, … Continue reading
The Leadership Conference of Women Religious annual assembly will take place later in the summer. I will, of course, apply again for credentials to attend. But I am really hoping to be invited as a speaker.
To that end, I … Continue reading
I missed this the other day. On review, it is important enough to post about.
Over at Fishwrap, the National Schismatic Reporter, there is an interview with the head of the LCWR, Sr. Florence Deacon, from 7 May, while she was … Continue reading
From The Catholic League:
New York Times Finds Good Nuns
September 18, 2012
Bill Donohue comments on an editorial in today’s New York Times:
The editorial, “Speaking the Truth to the Vatican,” sounds so macho, especially coming from the unmanly New York Times. This … Continue reading
For Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day, a friend sent me this spiffy photo of real nuns.
I’ll bet the Magisterium of Nuns has boycotted Chick-fil-A.
Tonight I will make chicken in solidarity with Chick-fil-A.
By the way… on Monday I ate beef, because Pres. Obama’s … Continue reading
Since it’s LOVE DAY, let’s get real.
I have been asked this before, and I think we have covered it before, but… repetita iuvant.
Really good, sound, faith, orders or religious institutes for women in the USA? England? Ireland? Canada? Australia?
Where you … Continue reading
Here is a great video which I pick up from the best Catholic weekly in the UK, The Catholic Herald.
What a delightful lady. Keep your ears tuned for what she says is her constant prayer.