Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!Enter Amazon through my link, the image below (they took away our search box!), and I will get a small percentage of what you spend. (Pssst - Can't see it? Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
Here's a generic "catholic" search start point for Amazon:
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Atra Dicenda, Rubra Agenda: Father, various commenters have expressed Rite specific norms. What is normative, by Rite, for the Deacon?
- Ave Crux: Its rather astounding . That’ ;s not a simple dance by any means and they’ ;re all in perfect unison. I found it amazing. If the Faith could but harness the fervor and enthusi...
- Blackfriar: I like to see dalmatics worn, and would encourage them in the ordinary form. However, readers should be aware that in the extraordin ary form of the Dominican Rite – and perhaps...
- Quanah: “Glo ria has to do with man’s recognitio n of God as God. Gloria is a characteri stic of God which He will share with us so as to transform us throughout eternity.& #8221; What a...
- Suburbanbanshee: (I think the reason you always see Victorian people exercising in white clothes is that you could bleach white clothes more easily. Of course, maybe they wore other colors when...
- Suburbanbanshee: First off, nobody should be doing anything in the sanctuary that involves exercises. Obviously. Second, all that hatha yoga stuff is actually something that late 19th and early...
- mcferran: A response based upon liturgical law might be more helpful. The GIRM states (338 Canada): “The vestment proper to the Deacon is the dalmatic, worn over the alb and stole; howev...
- tho: In my lifetime, the Host, and any altar cloth, or for that matter anything material or human that touched the Host, without consecrate d hands, had to be scrubbed by a priest, who was the only...
- robtbrown: In the above comment “def initive 221; is a Latin adverb meaning definitive ly.
- robtbrown: Addendum: Acc. to Cardinal Ratzinger& #8217;s explanatio n, the Infallibil ity of Ordinatio Sacerdotal is lies in its status within the Ordinary Universal Magisteriu m. As I noted above,...
- Fr_Sotelo: Just when I think I’ve read it all, seen it all. Telling the deacon not to wear the dalmatic? I think the deacons look great in the dalmatic!
- ThePapalCount: It seems that many priests are apprehensi ve about having deacons around. I know of a priest who refused to allow a deacon to preach for over a year, despite the fact that the deacon...
- AndyMo: “In the Third Millennium , the argument from authority is no longer sufficient . There are too many educated Catholics. ” First of all, chronologi cal snobbery is hardly more...
- frjim4321: Very clever idea. The public school where we have our religious ed classes has something a little simpler on the door jambs; a metal plate; I not sure how it works. I would also like to...
- TonyO: Pretty nice invention. Good job, Justin. Of course, it does have limitation s. First, it depends on making base plates that match with the specific door jamb and wall location, so it cannot...
- clarinetist04: There certainly are politics at play, no doubt, but to cast Msgr. Rossi as not allowing the EF in “his ShrineR 21; is unfair at best. They have the EF mass every week, the...
- Grateful to be Catholic: These poor deluded women are the victims of clericalis m. They think it’s about power and so do the men who enable them. As someone else says, sad.
- clare joseph: Thank you, Emilio III, for clarifying all this so well. It’s a joy to see so many young people dancing so beautifull y in honor of Our Lady.
- HvonBlumenthal: Nobody reads Revelation these days but it is clear that in the Heavenly liturgy depicted there the 24 Elders do not just kneel in the presence of the Lamb, they prostrate themsel...
- HvonBlumenthal: Your four categories cover it brilliantl y. Even Anglicans receive their « host » « meekly kneeling on their knees » according to the Book of Commin Prayer. And though they genera...
- APX: acardinal, I can’ t speak for the US, but at my former high school (and other high schools I’m told from my mom when she goes in to sub teach at them) it has become a joke. Home...
- Suburbanbanshee: Fr. Jim — As a woman, I find your remarks insulting. Why should women abandon their unique roles and importance , in favor of becoming exactly like men? Do you think that we...
- JabbaPapa: Well said robtbrown — it might be worth adding that the Eastern spiritual teachers themselves also denounce this westernise d “spi ritual yoga” ; as being a perver...
- JustaSinner: As a former Marine Drill Instructor once said at OCS, “Thi s s@$t is getting real!̶ 1; With that in mind, I know Jesus has asked me to turn the other cheek to my enemies, but...
- JabbaPapa: frjim4321 : I know the reasons, as stated, and I don’t find them convincing . Infallibil ity from the chair was not asserted with regard to this matter. In FACT Pope Saint John Paul II...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- LENTCAzT 2018 12 – 2nd Sunday of Lent: Saved in hope
- ASK FATHER: Priest forbids a deacon to wear a dalmatic
- LENTCAzT 2018 11 – Ember Saturday in the 1st Week of Lent: Man’s first full day was a day of rest
- WDTPRS – 2nd Sunday of Lent (NO): Having a really good look
- Wisconsin High School student invents classroom door stop
- LENTCAzT 2018 10 – Ember Friday in the 1st Week of Lent: You cannot save yourself for the world
- Card. Sarah: return to Communion directly on the tongue while kneeling
- JUST TOO COOL: Recently received missal stand and statue of Our Lady
- Wherein Rutler thrashes @AntonioSpadaro
- BRAZIL: Did these bishops allow women to concelebrate Mass?
- Promoted by @JamesMartinSJ – Jesuits have yoga in church sanctuary at a school
- LENTCAzT 2018 09 – Thursday in the 1st Week of Lent: The inexhaustible virtue of the Word
- Fr. Murray on “lived experience”, “accompaniment”, “conscience”
- More news from the New catholic Red Guard
- Making the Church appealing. What “sells”?
- LENTCAzT 2018 08 – Wednesday in the 1st Week of Lent: Never ending combat
- 20 Feb – Feast of Sts Francisco and Jacinta of Fatima
- Of “paradigm shift” interest
- Spain: young people dancing a jota in reparation for blasphemy against the Blessed Virgin
- Mega-Masses and too many Hosts
- The State v. Self-Reliance
- LENTCAzT 2018 07 – Tuesday in the 1st Week of Lent: subtle temptation
- Attacks on the family
- My View For Awhile: Capital Edition
- Books for boys. Suggested titles and an additional point.
- LENTCAzT 2018 06 – Monday in the 1st Week of Lent: “I warned you!”
- Wherein Fr Longenecker schools @JamesMartinSJ
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- WDTPRS 1st Sunday of Lent (N.O.): The Lenten “Sacrament”
- LENTCAzT 2018 05 – 1st Sunday of Lent: Anger and Reason
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
A book by an old friend…
Tag Archives: Obamacare
Liberal catholics want us all to weenie out and avoid engaging in “culture wars”.
Meanwhile, I saw this commentary piece at CNSNews:
Free Exercise of Virtue Prohibited as of Today in USA
As of today–Jan. 1, 2014–a Democratic administration led by President Barack … Continue reading
This came to my email:
So during the 3-1/2 years of World War 2 that started with the Japanese bombing of Pearl Harbor in December 1941 and ended with the Surrender of Germany and Japan in 1945, the U.S. produced 22 … Continue reading
Good news to be read at Newsmax:
NY Archdiocese: Ruling Against Contraception Mandate Gives All ‘Religious Freedom’
The Archdiocese of New York applauded a judge’s decision Monday that so-called non-exempt religious groups are not bound by the Affordable Care Act’s requirement to provide, … Continue reading
How is Obamacare, the “AFFORDABLE” Care Act, working for you so far?
I saw this on LifeSite:
Obama administration may add taxpayer-funded sex-change operations to ObamaCare, Medicare, Medicaid
DES MOINES, IA, December 12, 2013 (LifeSiteNews.com) – The Affordable Care Act (ACA) is one … Continue reading
How are you doing with the “AFFORDABLE” Care Act?
There is a good development. From Politico:
Michigan joins states banning abortion in Obamacare plans
Michigan became the 24th state to ban most abortions in its exchange plans when the state legislature passed … Continue reading
There has been some heated discussion about how the USCCB did or could have been more or less supportive of Obamacare… which we should really all be calling the “AFFORDABLE” Care Act, perhaps with a quizzical twist of “uptalk”.
Over at … Continue reading
One can understand that a person might be slightly deranged because of sorrow and grief, but this is an evil act.
This is the sort of thing that will occur more and more often.
Michigan woman sues U.S. Catholic bishops over miscarriage … Continue reading
Here are a couple of POLLS for you readers in these USA.
And as you choose your answer, I want you all to remember the Nuns on the Bus, the CHA and Sr. Keehan, and the USCCB, all of whom lobbied … Continue reading
There is an alarming piece at CharismaNews which confirms what we have known all along.
Remember… it’s not really “Obamacare”… though his name, and party, are inseparable from this millstone. It’s really the AFFORDABLE Care Act.
How is that “AFFORDABLE” part working … Continue reading
Let’s think about the catholic Left’s support of the so-called “AFFORDABLE” Care Act. “Affordable”… right….
From CatholicVote comes this accurate analysis of the liberal Left’s hypocrisy.
OKAY, WHO KIDNAPPED THE NUNS ON THE BUS?
BY JOHN WHITE
Please, quick. Somebody call the police.
It appears that … Continue reading
Now that we have the fluffiest and most wonderfullest Pope ehvurr, Pope Francis, and now that bishops are supposed to be “pastoral”, liberals will start more and more often to claim that bishops should start caving in on the HHS … Continue reading
I have been watching in a distracted way the live stream of the annual USCCB blah blah and occasionally checking the liberal reactions: rather like tossing a bad of treats into a dog park.
In any event, someone sent me this … Continue reading
This is from Breitbart:
THREE 20-YEAR-OLDS MAKE WORKING OBAMACARE WEBSITE IN THREE DAYS
Even as President Obama has issued a constant refrain of how upset he is that his Obamacare website doesn’t work and promises that he’s on top of the fix, … Continue reading
In my reading today, I discovered that the website for Obamacare – you know, the one that doesn’t work – has cost taxpayers over $300 million dollars.
$300 million. For the website alone.
It could actually be a lot more than $300 … Continue reading
From Liberty News:
Obamacare Has “Raped My Future!” Says Underemployed College Grad in Viral Letter
Ashley Dionne is a 26 year-old college graduate who says her future has been “raped” by Obamacare, reports Campus Reform.
This University of Michigan alum shared her story of … Continue reading
Over at the National Schismatic Reporter (aka Fishwrap) here is a piece by Mr. Winter’s which shows something of their true colors over there: They don’t care about the fact that taxpayer dollars will be funding intrinsically evil actions and … Continue reading
You are a homeless person. You are sick and you know it is bad. You stagger into the ER of St. Ipsidipsy Catholic Hospital in Tall Tree Circle. You have no insurance, health coverage, or money. You are seen by … Continue reading
The Wall Street Journal has apologized to readers for being too soft on Obamacare.
Here’s a sample:
ObamaCare has become a rolling “train wreck,” in Senator Max Baucus’s memorable phrase, and it gets worse the more of it the public sees. The … Continue reading
Catholic Archbishop: Wake Up! Religious Liberty at Risk in USA
(CNSNews.com) – Roman Catholic Archbishop Charles J. Chaput is calling on Americans to wake up [Is it too late? We must keep working.] and recognize that the Founding Fathers’ vision … Continue reading