Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Ben Kenobi: Cupich must go. Even before this incident he was already on the list of the cardinals in the US (including Wuerl and McCarrick, and a few others). God works in mysterious ways. I am...
- WmHesch: In pre-Vatica n II practice, the server patens were typically not consecrate d- just as the housing cloths were typically blessed as sacred linens. Both could theoretica lly “hold the...
- Nicholas: Today is also my birthday. One day, in high school Latin class, I walked in and saw “happy birthday” written on the board. I was amazed that my teacher remembered my birthday. My mistake...
- Marion Ancilla Mariae II: “Ame rican Catholics for an American Catholic Church! 221; No, thanks. This American Catholic wants the Church establishe d by the Galilean who said, “...
- Julia_Augusta: Father Z., I wonder if the mausoleum of Augustus, which lies across Ara Pacis, has been restored or even cleaned up in any way. When I visited Ara Pacis 3 years ago, the mausol...
- Anita Moore, O.P.(lay): We ought to have a revival of the movie For Greater Glory, about the Cristero war. To me one of its most striking features was the depiction of Holy Mass in the Crist...
- Julia_Augusta: Father Z., I am looking forward to seeing your photos. You are correct in saying that 7 days is far too short a visit. Rome is a great city and one can spend months visiting all the...
- Cradle Catholic: Wow… Catholics are angry about this… ;.Church Militant has a petition asking for the resignatio n of Cupich, and already (in just 8 hours), over 3,000 signatures . David...
- Kathleen10: Father Z., the TLM is everything , and right now, a lifeline. It has to be really difficult to keep the TLM going when there is no support for it from Rome and in the church general...
- Simon_GNR: It’s my understand ing that in medieval times the Kings of England chose who would be bishops in their realm and the pope had little to do with it. Certainly, Thomas Becket was...
- iPadre: PS: Yes, I know the Last Blessing isn’ t a Sacrament, but it is a very powerful aid in our journey.
- iPadre: In the EF, I talked about the importance of caring for the sick. We must be sure they receive the Sacraments – Anointing, Confession , Last Blessing, and Viaticum. We also must make...
- LarryW2LJ: Methinks Cardinal Cupich ought to remember the old saying … 230; “Wha t goes around, comes around. 221;
- ejcmartin: If that means here in Canada bishops are to be chosen by Justin Trudeau, God help us! (Then again technicall y the Head of State is Queen Elizabeth II, hmmm… ;)
- Semper Gumby: Ah, the Investitur e Conflict (sort of) of 2018 in these United States. Popcorn time. Perhaps it will unfold like this… ; In a stone castle on the banks of the Potomac King Trump...
- snegopad: allenr74, as someone said here , (in an other post), use Exorzised Salt, the rite for making it is in the Rituale Romanum, e.g.: https://ww w.sanctami ssa.org/en /resources /books-...
- Bthompson: On the other hand, President Trump̵ 7;s nomination s would apparently be way more stringentl y vetted. :-)
- Peter Stuart: What does this say to same-sex-a ttracted men like me who have come back to the Church and try to live the whole faith? What it says to me is, keep your head under the radar, Peter...
- chantgirl: Perhaps Fr. Kalchik, (and any other victim of homosexual abuse) had good reason not to want to be sent to St. Luke’ ;s: https://ww w.catholic culture.or g/commenta ry/the-...
- Malta: I guess this is somewhat relevant: I’ve spent much time in Italy; my favorite though was a wine-tour through Florence. But I still have not found a pasta dish I found there in a...
- chantgirl: Yes, but are the American Bishops also allowed to have concubines /children?
- PMK: @Cicero_NO LA I still have this book but purchased many years ago. It’s titled, “Aki ta: Mother of God as CoRedemptr ix, Modern Miracles of Holy Eucharist& #8221;. By Francis...
- Sportsfan: It’s sad for me to think that he would probably do a better job than the Vatican has done.
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- ASK FATHER: Is a Communion plate or paten a “sacred vessel”?
- OCTOBER – ROME – Annual #SumPont2018 Pilgrimage
- Thanks to Augustus on his birthday and to the Cohors Italicus
- If government leaders in China can now choose bishops, then in these USA…
- Francis trades quips with Polish photographer in Vilnius
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- Archbp. Chaput of @ArchPhilly on upcoming Synod’s working document. Concerns.
- UPDATE – @ArchChicago parish burns a “rainbow flag”
- THIS IS WAR! Wherein Fr. Z calls on bishops and priests to FIGHT BACK as priests and bishops!
- Akita, Communion in the hand, and homosexuality
- Card. Zen on the “Provisional Agreement” with the PRC on Bishops
- WDTPRS – 25th Ordinary Sunday: Each love fuels the other, when love of God is first.
- VIDEO: Fr. Murray on aspects of The Present Crisis
- ASK FATHER: Adding water to Holy Water
- ASK FATHER: If in letters Benedict XVI imparts still the Apostolic Blessing…
- A story of spectacular complexity, involving shady people, huge money, interlocking directorates, vast loans, and the Papal Foundation.
- One Mad Mom spanks James Martin, LGBTSJ – UPDATED
- Bishop R. Walker Nickless of Sioux City on #ViganoTestimony
- And now a word from our sponsor…
- BOOKS RECEIVED: Vatican I: The Council and the Making of the Ultramontane Church
- The upcoming Synod’s “working document”
- ASK FATHER: Should we pray for or against the success of the Synod?
- What passes for important today.
- YOU are other people. It’s always someone else… until it’s YOU.
- ASK FATHER: Are we are in the End Times?
- Fr. Murray’s Open Letter to ex-Card. McCarrick. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- Cri de Coeur about lost innocence and The Present Crisis
- Card. Müller: “the real danger to today’s humanity is the greenhouse gases of sin and the global warming of unbelief”
- Thoughts on fatherhood and how priestly identity is undercut by short terms as pastors
- More Jesuit idiocy – BUT WAIT! There’s more!
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Tag Archives: Obergefell v. Hodges
From a Protestant clergyman reader…
Thank you for your blog. Your courage and clarity motivate me. I am a Protestant clergy and am struggling with whether or not I should even morally be signing marriage licenses anymore. I had my first … Continue reading
This entry has a convoluted origin, but here goes…
I saw a story at Stream about a lesbian couple who are suing New Jersey, which is oppressing them. Get this…
Erin and Marianne Krupa, a lesbian couple struggling to get pregnant due … Continue reading
From Ed Peters, distinguished canonist, on Catholic SCOTUS Justices (Kennedy, Sotomayor) who ruled for Obergefell v. Hodges:
Obergefell and canonical criminal law
Dcn Greg Kandra calls attention to a question floating around out there, namely, [QUAERITUR…]should Catholic justices who voted to impose … Continue reading
The other day I posted the 2003 document from the CDF Observations about important CDF document on “Legal Recognition to Unions Between Homosexual Persons”. In that document we read…
“In those situations where homosexual unions have been legally recognized or have been … Continue reading
His Excellency Most Reverend Alexander Sample, Archbishop of Portland, issued a statement about SCOTUS’s pathetic same-sex “marriage” decision. HERE
Archbishop Alexander Sample responds to decision by Supreme Court legalizing same-sex “marriage”
I am deeply saddened by the narrow majority decision of … Continue reading
From Crisis we have a piece called “Taking Back Marriage” by Scott Rickert with my emphases and comments:
For the Christian, of course, evangelization is the ultimate solution to cultural problems. And evangelization is not the calling simply of popes and bishops, priests … Continue reading
Here are a few points of interest concerning SCOTUS same-sex decision Obergefell v. Hodges.
My patented emphases and comments.
First, see the comments of Phil Lawler:
So now is it ‘hate speech’ to deplore the Obergefell decision?
The ink was barely dry on last week’s Supreme … Continue reading
Observations about important CDF document on “Legal Recognition to Unions Between Homosexual Persons”
A priest friend sent me some notes in response to my posting HERE of the CDF’s 2003 document: Considerations Regarding Proposals to Give Legal Recognition to Unions Between Homosexual Persons.
His points are worth sharing. I’ll edit a bit:
1. Saint Charles Lwanga and … Continue reading
Was there a good point or two in the sermon you heard at the Mass for your Sunday obligation? Let us know.
I’ll bet that many of you heard something about the SCOTUS decision Obergefell v. Hodges (same-sex “marriage”).
Let’s have a POLL. … Continue reading
Canonist Ed Peters has comments on SCOTUS decision today. Read the whole thing over there, but… here:
Two thoughts re the Supreme Court decision on ‘same-sex marriage’
Of course, the Court has not yet reached the end of its marriage line, for … Continue reading
From the USCCB:
WASHINGTON—The U.S. Supreme Court decision, June 26, interpreting the U.S. Constitution to require all states to license and recognize same-sex “marriage” “is a tragic error that harms the common good and most vulnerable among us,” said Archbishop Joseph … Continue reading
UPDATE: Neil Addison, an outstanding barrister in England, has comments on the opinions. Given Justice Thomas references to Magna Carta, it is appropriate to link to the esteemed legal scholar. HERE He has some great comments.
____ ORIGINAL: Published on: Jun 26, 2015 @ … Continue reading