Search Fr. Z’s Blog
When you shop…
A search box for Amazon UK is at the bottom of the blog.
There is a subscription form at the bottom of this page!
- Back pew sitter said Surely it should be a Holiday [sic] of Obligation...
- benedetta said “…Without being beholden to a husband...
- Chris Garton-Zavesky said Answer to “What happened to these nuns (prie...
- Elizabeth D said JBS wrote: “It’s clever to say they joined f...
- Chris Garton-Zavesky said [Intending it as a serious question]: How much of...
- JesusFreak84 said “Imagine a world without original sin / and...
- Andrew said This piece was written by a “former Daily News gos...
- Magash said JBS, In the framework of 1950′s American soc...
- Gerard Plourde said “a way to become highly educated, travel the...
- frival said It’s really pretty simple, isn’t it?...
- Matt R said Andrew, the point is that nothing can be done as f...
- jbryant said The wheels on the bus go round and round
- Titus said Although not a missal, per se, Maria Montessori...
- Long-Skirts said “to become highly educated, travel the world … wit...
- robtbrown said I read the article yesterday. Regardless of its i...
- marcelus said The greatest of all times is on the field! Good t...
- JBS said pjsandstrom, In which canon(s) does the 1983 Code...
- wised said No mention of women increasingly joining those ord...
- JBS said It has long puzzled me why wayward religious siste...
- Philippa Martyr said That article’s view of the Vatican reminds m...
- Philippa Martyr said Many of the women who are nuns today joined the vo...
- Brooklyn said Yes, this decline in the number of women religious...
- ncstevem said I think what we are seeing playing out in regards...
- pjsandstrom said Father, I think someone with your obvious love of...
- 7bellachildren said Why not start a Rosary Crusade instead? Or call f...
- DFLAT said There was one time when Father gave me a penance a...
- Brooklyn said acardnal – Again, from Wikipedia: “A r...
My wish lists
The horse is made ready for the day of battle, but the victory belongs to the LORD.
- Proverbs 21:31
Support them with prayer and fasting.
CLICK and say your Daily Offering!
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Help Monks in Wyoming, Fr. Z, and get great coffee too!
Food For Thought
“The legalization of the termination of pregnancy is none other than the authorization given to an adult, with the approval of an established law, to take the lives of children yet unborn and thus incapable of defending themselves. It is difficult to imagine a more unjust situation, and it is very difficult to speak of obsession in a matter such as this, where we are dealing with a fundamental imperative of every good conscience — the defense of the right to life of an innocent and defenseless human being.”
- St. John Paul II
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
A morsel for thought…
"If your work is strong enough for someone to hate you, it's strong enough for someone to love you. The middle is what you should fear."
- Sean McCabe @seanwes
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…... and there will be nearly 1,000,000 page loads this month.
- ACTION ITEM! 9 Sept – International Buy a Priest a Beer Day!
- FOLLOW UP: Soccer Match for Peace – COEXIST sighting
- “to become highly educated, travel the world … without being beholden to a husband or children”
- UPDATE – Soccer game for peace!
- ASK FATHER: Hand missals, Mass books for children
- ASK FATHER: Father gave me a penance that discouraged me.
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- NIGERIA: The Religion of Peace terrorizes Catholic parishes
- WDTPRS 22nd Ordinary Sunday: graft into our hearts the love of Your Name
- GUEST POST: “I celebrated the Traditional Latin Mass before today’s exorcism…”
- ASK FATHER: EMHCs when instituted acolytes are present
- Time in Rome is a sacrifice, not a career move.
- ACTION ITEM! Pre-Order (25% off) Book from 5 Cardinals in defense of marriage and tradition – UPDATE
- Muslim rape gangs enabled by the Left
- Aroma Therapy – Catholic style
- ASK FATHER: So angry from liturgical abuses that I didn’t go to Communion!
- 29 August: Beheading of St. John the Baptist – diminishing returns
- ACTION ITEM! Calling Catholic Patriots! Military Archdiocese needs your help
- ASK FATHER: Metropolitan Archbishops and Pontifical Masses
- QUAERITUR: What’s the best translation of St. Augustine’s “The Confessions”?
- Wherein Fr. Z dies a painful death
- Pontifical Mass sighting
- Congratulations Rep. Sensenbrenner!
- Bp. Galatino: “Couples in irregular matrimonial situations…”
- Card. Cañizares Llovera, Prefect of CDW, transferred to Valencia
- The popular pontificate of Pope Francis: two views
- St. Monica: “put my body anywhere”
- ASK FATHER: The priest’s Eucharistic fast in the Extraordinary Form
- ASK FATHER: Meat when a feast falls on a Friday
- ASK FATHER: Hogging the confessional
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
Identity theft is a serious problem that you do NOT want to have. I use Lifelock.
Wyoming Catholic College!
A great place in Rome…
See my post about the Domus Australia HERE
More food for thought:
“I expect to die in bed, my successor will die in prison and his successor will die a martyr in the public square. His successor will pick up the shards of a ruined society and slowly help rebuild civilization, as the church has done so often in human history.”
Francis Card. George
Check out the Cardinal Newman Society feed!
I have been giving out these tougher-than-nails, no-nonsense Rosaries:
Please follow me on Twitter!
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
More food for thought…
"All laws which are repugnant to the Constitution are null and void."
- Marbury v. Madison, 5 U.S. 137, 176
Even More Food For Thought
"Men by their constitutions are naturally divided into two parties: 1. Those who fear and distrust the people, and wish to draw all powers from them into the hands of the higher classes. 2. Those who identify themselves with the people, have confidence in them, cherish and consider them as the most honest and safe, although not the most wise depositary of the public interests."
- Thomas Jefferson to Henry Lee, 1824. ME 16:73
Tag Archives: Office
Please use the sharing buttons! Thanks!
I often listen to the hours sung by the monks at Le Barroux. Today for Sext the melody of the usual text of the hymn Rector potens verax Deus was strikingly beautiful. Here … Continue reading
From a seminarian:
Just wondering if the new Latin / English Breviaries put out by Baronius Press fulfill the canonical objection of priests?
Particularly, can a priest say the English translation and fulfill his obligation? I am currently a seminarian and find … Continue reading
Please use the sharing buttons! Thanks!
From a reader:
Praised by Jesus Christ! Thank you for your blog. Our small parish needs to find a tennabrae hearse. I am searching on ebay and various church supply websites, but I need your expert … Continue reading
Ex e-litteris nuper a lectore acceptis:
Andreas philologus patri Z pacem Christi dicit:
Consuetudo est mihi, pater optime, ad primam auroram Laudes offere. Cum habitem enim solus, etiam solus precor, ad quas autem preces nuper superadditum est aliquid alium, quod est … Continue reading
QUAERITUR: Fulfilling obligation of the Office when visiting a religious community with their own way of doing things.
From a priest:
In the GILH, it is clear that a cleric meets his obligation if he
finds himself praying with a community following a different calendar or from a different rite (#242). Would this also include praying the Office with a religious community … Continue reading
From a reader:
It is my understanding that those ordained to the priesthood are bound by canon law to pray the main hours of the Divine Office daily. I think by main hours, it is Matins, Lauds, Sext?, Vespers & Compline. However, how come … Continue reading
From a religious:
When the motu proprio came out in 2007, it gave permission for clerics to use the older breviary to fulfill their obligation. I belong to the OCDS and many of our members wondered if we could pray the … Continue reading
From a priest reader:
I’m a priest and religious and I’ve wanted to pray the psalter in the traditional way for a long time and while clearing out our library I came across a Breviary in English from 1964, an … Continue reading
From a reader:
I am hoping to acquire a set of books for saying the office. Looking at the Latin options, there seems to be the Liturgiam Horarium, and the Brevarium Romanum (PPXII and Monastic Use). Which of these three would … Continue reading
WDTPRS POLL & QUAERITUR: Do laypeople who use the older Breviary participate in the Church’s prayer?
There is a WDTPRS POLL at the bottom of this entry!
From a reader:
Summorum Pontificum art. 9 sec. 3 explicitly grants ordained clerics the faculty to use the Roman Breviary in force in 1962, but makes no mention of the laity … Continue reading