HAM RADIO W9FRZ STATUS
Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
I had to change the way that people go to amazon to buy things because... you know... why make it easy?. So, just click the link below. Once you're in, you're good to shop.
Try AmazonFresh Free Trial
Shop Amazon Gold Box - New Deals. Everyday
Shop Amazon Gift Cards - Instant Delivery or Free One-Day Shipping
Try Prime Discounted Monthly Offering
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Glennonite: Sometimes the symbology just gob-smacks you. I hear you, Our Lady of Fatima.
- Bthompson: Roma247, I believe it is actually a protocol thing. Generally, concelebra nts don’ t outrank the celebrant, especially in formal situations . Thus, when cardinals attend big...
- Suburbanbanshee: Forgot to say that the working document did mention the AmazonR 17;s “sai nts and martyrs; 8221; but the footnote explained this with a roll call of recent modern...
- Suburbanbanshee: If young devout married laymen with families are too busy to help run parish guilds or serve in parish committees , how are they going to going to have time to be priests, too? Our...
- Liz: I remember in one of my adoration hours in the late 90’s (or early 2000’ ;s) reading Bernadin 8217;s book which happened to be there in the church, and about how somebody had...
- Suburbanbanshee: I know Semper Gumby is joking, but singing in helium can hurt the voice, if you do it long enough. A couple of Donald Duck moments are harmless, but don’ t talk that way for...
- Gab: What a shame it wasn’ ;t a Traditiona l Latin Mass.
- iamlucky13: Bizzare as the design may have been, it still feels wrong to see an altar lying on its side on pallets like scrap to be moved.
- pascal788: Why do you need to show you are a man? Ain’ t it obvious?
- pascal788: Why do you need to show you are a man? Ain’ t it obvious?
- Anita Moore, O.P.(lay): I can’t remember where or when exactly, but I once read a story of a priest who discovered his vocation by means of a beard. As a little boy, he saw a Capuchin with a big,...
- Rouxfus: “Suddenly it became unarguable that now during this papacy [JPII], the Roman Catholic organizati on carried a permanent presence of clerics who worshiped Satan and liked it; of bishops and...
- roma247: hmmm… ;am I being obtuse to notice that Cardinal Cupich is the only one who is not vested in one of the matching chasubles? I mean, I’m guessing he was the only Cardinal there,...
- Gregg the Obscure: well, i’ve not been ordained and i very much doubt that i ever would be, but i have worn a beard for 26 years and a bit more than 4 months this time. had one a few other...
- trespinos: I have favored the modern customary usage in the USA of leaving clerical beards to the monks and Capuchins and such like, but if younger diocesan priests have a good reason for tossing...
- youngcatholicgirl: Chris Garton-Zav esky says: “I understand from canons of the Institute of Christ the King that the beard is worn in Africa, where it is a sign of wisdom and authority, but...
- acardnal: Readers please note: a seventh candle was lit and added to the altar mensa and placed in front of the crucifix to note the Mass is being celebrated by the bishop.
- Semper Gumby: “Don ’t dip your beard in the foam, Father! 221; They cried to Thorin. “It is long enough without watering it!”
- Semper Gumby: Good lyrics. There̵ 7;s a rumor going around that the Official Paradohymn odist is re-writing “Okl ahoma̶ 1; as “Met anoia.R 21; Zuhlio: Try a tank of helium....
- Chris in Maryland 2: Cajunpower : Grein does give details that can be verified easily – for example: he says he was in Wisconsin because he was stationed there in the Navy, at age 19. There...
- Dad of Six: Prayers said for the Bishop! I note that the Deacon has a nicely trimmed beard.
- TonyO: There is something inherently natural about wearing a beard, as it certainly denotes a boy coming into his manhood. It is, however, at best a tertiary sign thereof, and thus neither absol...
- Semper Gumby: Hidden One: Have a closer look. Cheers.
- Chris Garton-Zavesky: I understand from canons of the Institute of Christ the King that the beard is worn in Africa, where it is a sign of wisdom and authority, but that the canons who return to...
- Atra Dicenda, Rubra Agenda: Two of the best local priests I know have beards. The first has a massive devotion to St. Padre Pio. The second followed suit. I think there is also an intentiona l and...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- ASK FATHER: A soul in anguish about the state of the Church. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- The TMSM welcomes Bp. Hying to @MadisonDiocese – UPDATED
- Aftermath: the modernist star-trek altar from Notre-Dame de Paris
- Clerical beards.
- PARODY SONG ALERT: Amazoniana Synod
- Shades of Windswept House – UPDATED with a new interview about the late Card. Bernardin
- Earthquake at near Rome – 20:43:47 (UTC) Magnitude 3.4 at a depth of 5 KM – @ Colonna, Italy
- VIDEO Fr @GeraldMurray8 and Dr @RobertSRoyal analyze hot-button issues
- ASK FATHER: Can I really fulfill my Mass obligation at an SSPX chapel?
- Concerning the upcoming Synod, Germans and Tapirs
- ACTION ITEM: How you can help defend the Seal of Confession in California
- “This ‘Communion in the hand’ thing needs to stop.”
- #ActonU 2019 Day 4: Great people… great content
- Archd. of Indianapolis says Jesuit school isn’t Catholic
- #ActonU 2019 Day 1 = Day 3: getting up to speed
- ASK FATHER: Do we receive also the Holy Spirit in Communion?
- ASK FATHER: Obligation to attend the local parish instead of going somewhere else
- Online Shopping Reminder and BIRETTA PROJECT
- Blistering NRO piece flames the recent USCCB meeting
- ASK FATHER: Trying to translate prayers into Latin, but I don’t trust Google
- Lib ‘c’atholic outcry in … 3… 2… 1
- 15-18 July 2019: East Coast Priest Conference in Wheeling, WV – looks good!
- Fr Rosica, amazing papal claims, and resignations
- Priest apologizes to traditional Catholics: “The future of the Church is in her past.”
- ASK FATHER: Is a concelebrated Mass just one Mass or several Masses?
- NOVENA FOR SEMINARIANS – from Corpus Christi to Sacred Heart, with a Marian Consecration
- A Solemn Mass in Albany in the presence of the bishop. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- Thoughts about the change to CCC 2267 on the death penalty
- Chilean priest’s episcopal consecration axed because of some comments
- Canonist Ed Peters eviscerates bishops – one in particular – who won’t apply law
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
Tag Archives: Orthodox
From a reader… QUAERITUR: One of our Diocesan (Salt Lake City) Priests [Msgr. M. Francis Mannion] wrote an op-ed for our local Diocese Newspaper entitled “Some Items That Caught My Attention Recently”. In this piece, (HERE) he talks about how the Eastern Rite … Continue reading
I ran into a couple videos online, one entirely unfair but mildly amusing and infuriating, the other more edifying and instructive. They both make a “comparison”, though shallow, of Orthodox and Catholic liturgical worship. First, infuriating and amusing and unfair. … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: Why MUST one be in communion with Rome? The Eastern Church has celebrated the sacraments without communion with Rome for 1000 years, but still they have wonderworking Saints. GUEST “ASK FATHER” ANSWER from a priest who participates here: Why … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: My brother, who was baptized in the Catholic Church as an infant and received the sacraments of Holy Communion and Confirmation at the usual ages for our diocese, was received into the Greek Orthodox church by … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: I am an Orthodox Christian. I believe that the Roman Catholic Church and the Eastern Orthodox Church are both Apostolic Churches, albeit, not in full communion. I converted to EO from Calvinism after being raised Pentecostal. … Continue reading
I’ve been monitoring my voice mail. A question came in a while back which I can now treat. Let’s have the audio…
Here is a video which is a digital “tour” of the future St. Nicholas [Orthodox] National Shrine to be built at the site of the World Trade Center in New York City. The video is pretty cool. I am not hot … Continue reading
From a reader… Quaeritur: Why is absolution from an Orthodox priest valid but absolution from an SSPX priest invalid? I was told by someone that this is one argument from the SSPX as to why their Confessions are valid. This … Continue reading
From a reader: we will be on a Greek island without a Catholic church on a Sunday: can we attend the Greek mass and/or receive the Sacrament? You can, and I think should, attend the Greek Divine Liturgy if attending a … Continue reading
From a reader: A childhood friend of mine formerly a catholic “converted” to an Eastern Orthodox Church to get married. Now they are expecting their first child and have asked me to stand as sponsor for their child in their … Continue reading
From Reuters: Exclusive: Orthodox leader urges Vatican to resolve dispute By Philip Pullella | Reuters – 23 hrs ago ROME (Reuters) – A senior leader of the Russian Orthodox Church on Monday called on the Vatican to do more to … Continue reading
Did any of you notice this? This took me a bit by surprise. Card. Bertone went to Kazakhstan and gave the Orthodox Church there a major relic of St. Andrew from those venerated in Amalfi. I recall a few years … Continue reading
Remember what Card. Dias told the assembled Anglican leadership at Lambeth in 2008. He said that their course indicates they are heading towards "spiritual Alzheimer’s" and "ecclesial Parkinson’s" Now here is another warning. This comes by of His Hermeuticalness, Fr. … Continue reading