Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Ultrarunner: Let’ s extrapolat e the results of the PA grand jury report. 6 dioceses and 301 abuser priests per 1.7 million Catholics with over 1000 victims of sexual abuse. The are some 70...
- Fr. Reader: The worst thing is that they do not even look modern, or classic, or fashionabl e, or elegant, or nothing. Design wise they lack personalit y. They are insipid, nauseating . Poor and...
- Semper Gumby: Fr. Z wrote: “The y take the whole thing and submerge it with great hand-filli ng stainless steel tongs in the roiling vat of juice in which the thin slices and bun were morphed...
- Supertradmum: Excuse typos above, and this entire to-do about the vestments reminds me of The Devil Wears Prada, for some reason. The vestment industry has become too haute couture, looking for...
- Supertradmum: We cannot lose out sense of humour. In fact, humour is a sign of a healthy mind and a healthy blog, even if it is dark humour. For those above who take umbrage at this post, I say,...
- Supertradmum: Love the sign. I suggest one for your site. However, the sandwich? Sigh. Having been vegan except for the occasional fish on my health-die t, I do not think I shall be visiting Mr....
- monstrance: Considerin g the unplugged ClericR 30;. What do you surmise the jug under the window is for ?
- Kathleen10: I think about you and other faithful priests Fr. Z. Please God, to help you through this. The rest of us can walk away, take days at a time if we must, but that is pretty impossible for...
- VP: When did this fellow Cupich become a bishop?
- Spinmamma: Dear Father, I had the same reaction to the Holy FatherR 17;s words and am hoping there may be a fine point to be made about the translatio n. At least one media outlet has seized...
- aliceinstpaul: Hrwriggles , Prayers for the repose of the soul of your father and for your family. I’m so sorry for your lost.
- frjim4321: I kind of feel sorry for anyone making a statement, because it’s almost impossible to even say that since 2002 the safest place for children and youth has been the Catholic Church;...
- Diane: Wow… .that made my night! Thank you Thank you!!!
- emily13: Fr. Z – I also wanted to bring your attention to a beautiful apostolate at the Pittsburgh Oratory. The Daughters of St. Philip Neri were started in response to the document “Adorat...
- un-ionized: Capchoirgi rl, see the 20th week OT bulletin at the TLM parish. Scathing. But offers correct response.
- Muzhik: Joy; One option is to arrange for a mission priest to pray for your intention. I learned about this when I was investigat ing having “30 Days of Gregorian MassesR 21; said for my...
- robtbrown: Those three vestments make me hungry. They remind me of Pineapple- Lime-Raspb erry Rainbow Sherbet. Dessert? Yes. Worship? No.
- Sonshine135: From an ex-GI̵ 7;s point of view, your Priests are the officers of the Infantry and the regular parishione rs are the foot soldiers. What every good Infantry needs is an Artill...
- Joy65: Fr_Andrew , THANK YOU I understand what you are saying about Masses being offered. In our Parish there are many weekday Masses that have NO intentions listed for them. Not all Paris...
- Semper Gumby: VonOrigen: You raised numerous topics rapidly, so with our host’ ;s permission a close look at your comment. “…bu dgets? You may have heard that Iraq-istan ate up, and...
- Malta: Don’ t think it’s easy being Catholic: https://ww w.catholic .org/saint s/saint.ph p?saint_id =624 I’m the only Catholic in my family; I’m under scrutiny. I conver...
- Fr_Andrew: To add, I would agree with Fr Z here : encourage your priests by supporting them and thanking them. We don’ t seek such attention. It’s not part of the desire of a good...
- Fr_Andrew: Joy, This is a very good idea, but I would warn you that often priests are overbooked with Masses as its stands. Spirituall y there is nothing better, but practicall y if everyone who...
- TKS: Here in my small liberal diocese, the letter read Sunday spoke only of sexual child abuse and no mention of the root of the evil, the “H 8221; word. As usual, I find the parishione rs...
- Philmont237: I’d like to keep a portable Mass kit in my house in case priests do eventually have to go undergroun d. My brother-in -law also happens to be a priest, and tends to forget his....
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- Collusion of the press against the Church
- Food for my cerebellum. Food for my reptilian brain stem. And my observation about coverage of The Present Crisis.
- ASK FATHER: How to support priests? Prepare for underground Church?
- Ex ore infantium perfecisti laudem! 3 year old “priest’s” theological observation and a Salve
- Letters of Bishops compared. Quite a contrast.
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- ACTION ITEM! Help the nuns complete their beautiful monastic church!
- URGENT: HIDEOUS about SYMBOL on pastel vestments for World Meeting of Families in Dublin @WMOF2018
- Letter of @BishopMorlino of @MadisonDiocese concerning the present crisis
- WDTPRS – 20th Ordinary Sunday: invisible love, pulsing with longing
- Terrific movement of prayer for priests: Seven Sisters Apostolate
- Archbp. Cordileone’s Letter to the people of @ArchdioceseSF Fr. Z kudos and a mini-rant.
- Wherein Fr. Z offers one of the hardest posts he has ever written – UPDATED WITH YOUR COMMENTS
- PROPOSAL to all the Bishops of these USA for your November 2018 Meeting
- Card. Burke interviewed by Raymond Arroyo. The Cardinal’s advice.
- Insightful observation about Pope Francis – UPDATES!
- ASK FATHER: Lethal force against homosexual aggression in seminary?
- Search within the text for the word “reparation”. Zero.
- ASK FATHER: Can I go to a wedding at an SSPX chapel?
- Yeahhh… this is exactly the right time to dress our clergy in pastels.
- The Rite of Degradation From The Order of Priesthood. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- Fr Z calls for solidarity
- The PA Grand Jury Report
- AN OPEN APPEAL TO THE CARDINALS OF THE CATHOLIC CHURCH
- ASK FATHER: Your questions weigh heavily
- YOUR URGENT PRAYER REQUESTS
- ASK FATHER: “I now have doubt about sorting the doctrinal from the papal opinion.” Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- ASK FATHER: Faithful, active women religious. Where to go?
- St. Maximilian Kolbe, priest, martyr, ham radio operator, intercede for dissident ‘c’atholic media!
- Fr. Z’s Kitchen: Beans in a bottle, and Beans in a bubble.
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Tag Archives: Orthodox
From a reader…
One of our Diocesan (Salt Lake City) Priests [Msgr. M. Francis Mannion] wrote an op-ed for our local Diocese Newspaper entitled “Some Items That Caught My Attention Recently”. In this piece, (HERE) he talks about how the Eastern Rite has ordained … Continue reading
I ran into a couple videos online, one entirely unfair but mildly amusing and infuriating, the other more edifying and instructive.
They both make a “comparison”, though shallow, of Orthodox and Catholic liturgical worship.
First, infuriating and amusing and unfair.
I’m sure many … Continue reading
From a reader…
Why MUST one be in communion with Rome? The Eastern Church has celebrated the sacraments without communion with Rome for 1000 years, but still they have wonderworking Saints.
GUEST “ASK FATHER” ANSWER from a priest who participates here:
Why MUST one be in … Continue reading
From a reader…
My brother, who was baptized in the Catholic Church as an infant and received the sacraments of Holy Communion and Confirmation at the usual ages for our diocese, was received into the Greek Orthodox church by chrismation in … Continue reading
From a reader…
I am an Orthodox Christian. I believe that the Roman Catholic Church and the Eastern Orthodox Church are both Apostolic Churches, albeit, not in full communion. I converted to EO from Calvinism after being raised Pentecostal. I don’t … Continue reading
I’ve been monitoring my voice mail. A question came in a while back which I can now treat.
Let’s have the audio…
This is an interesting question.
I’m a Latin Church, Catholic priest and not really qualified to speak about the specifics of Greek … Continue reading
Here is a video which is a digital “tour” of the future St. Nicholas [Orthodox] National Shrine to be built at the site of the World Trade Center in New York City.
The video is pretty cool. I am not hot … Continue reading
From a reader…
Why is absolution from an Orthodox priest valid but absolution from an SSPX priest invalid? I was told by someone that this is one argument from the SSPX as to why their Confessions are valid.
This won’t satisfy some … Continue reading
From a reader:
we will be on a Greek island without a Catholic church on a Sunday:
can we attend the Greek mass and/or receive the Sacrament?
You can, and I think should, attend the Greek Divine Liturgy if attending a … Continue reading
From a reader:
A childhood friend of mine formerly a catholic “converted” to an Eastern Orthodox Church to get married. Now they are expecting their first child and have asked me to stand as sponsor for their child in their Eastern … Continue reading
Exclusive: Orthodox leader urges Vatican to resolve dispute
By Philip Pullella | Reuters – 23 hrs ago
ROME (Reuters) – A senior leader of the Russian Orthodox Church on Monday called on the Vatican to do more to resolve outstanding disputes … Continue reading
Did any of you notice this?
This took me a bit by surprise.
Card. Bertone went to Kazakhstan and gave the Orthodox Church there a major relic of St. Andrew from those venerated in Amalfi.
I recall a few years ago when John … Continue reading
Remember what Card. Dias told the assembled Anglican leadership at Lambeth in 2008. He said that their course indicates they are heading towards "spiritual Alzheimer’s" and "ecclesial Parkinson’s"
Now here is another warning.
This comes by of His Hermeuticalness, Fr. Finigan.
Metropolitan Hilarion … Continue reading