Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: iPadre says: My favorite scene was when the priest changed into Jesus. That’s us. Alter Christus! Note also that one of those moments of the Mass was the “Sup plices te...
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: Charlotte Allen says: the young woman in the video Yes, the girlfriend angle also occurred to me. However, I think it is more likely that she, in her lovely, flashy, worldly...
- southernpriest: What a beautiful screen shot of our Lord’ ;s Blood dripping into the chalice! As a late vocation, I spent many early years way from the Mass, but not from going to Mary...
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: LeeGilbert says: walking in galleries, or counting the interest of my revenues, Indeed. This is why the true full, active and conscious participat ion desired by the Council...
- LeeGilbert: from de Rancés On the Sanctity and Duties of the Monastic State: St. Jerome, penetrated with sorrow, cries out on the same subject: If I had no faith I would not pray at all; but if I...
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: ex seaxe says: Pretty sure I would not want to serve, I would find the duties distracted me from worship. Right. I think that is fair. And it is not unusual. It is realist...
- Fr_Sotelo: The video is sentimenta l, but very well done. I think it captures well the edificatio n many feel when they first discover the pious devotion contained in the Extraordin ary Form of the...
- iPadre: Wow! That is a beautiful moving video. I didn’ ;t want it to end. My favorite scene was when the priest changed into Jesus. That’ ;s us. Alter Christus! How blessed are we to...
- Coast Caritas: As a devotee of Bl. Charles de Foucauld, I had some lapel pins made a few years ago with the heart/cros s design. While I am sold out of the pins, I made the original mockup image...
- Charlotte Allen: I quite enjoyed the video, syrup and all. The chiaroscur o lighting reminded me of the Godfather movies and their rendering of Catholic liturgy. This in turn made me wonder how...
- ex seaxe: Fair question to me Father, I am very unclear about my answer. I don’ t think I have ever attended a Pontifical Mass in the Traditiona l Rite, so this is speculativ e. Pretty sure I...
- MissBee: Hi Kate, Thanks for your response. There are so many songs and bands that I simply can’ t listen to anymore because I now hear what they actually mean, it’s not some cutesy...
- KateD: Yes! For the husband :). He has a birthday coming up soon and he thinks they are really cool in a…ho w would you say “Cat holic way” like SuitCase says “cop -lyR...
- hwriggles4: Last fall I attended a Fatima celebratio n in the Dallas Fort Worth area. I happened to meet a group of young Catholics (many between 25 and 35) who were from the Lake Charles area and...
- KateD: Miss Bee, My husband is a Dead Head and I CAN NOT STAND THE DEAD. It’s like nails on chalkboard to me. We are of different generation s. He on the tail end of one and I on the begin...
- KateD: In response to the posted excerpt about priests only seeing women as saints or whores: Yes, because no Catholic priest ever had a mother, a grandmothe r, a sister, an aunt, a niece, a cousin...
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: HyacinthCl are says: movie about the Vendee done by the children RIGHT! And the director is named Jim Morlino. HERE
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: Anita Moore: stores don’t seem to carry lard You might ask your butcher or the staff at the meat counter of your grocery. It may be in a freezer case rather than with the other...
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: Julian Barkin: So what do we then do to hold a pontifical TLM? Fret not. Here’ ;s my advice. First, do not let the perfect be the enemy of the good. You do your best with...
- APX: When you have a Traditiona l funeral with the body present, there are extra fees you have to pay for: -embalming -grave liner -burial plot (a full size plot is more than that for an urn)...
- HyacinthClare: Years ago, I saw that movie about the Vendee done by the children. Everybody on this site was talking about it. Someone said his wife embroidere d crosses on their children 8217;s...
- Ms. M-S: Jesus wept for our sins. Are we such ingrates as not to offer such unworthy tears as we are able to shed?
- Anita Moore, O.P.(lay): I happen to have a blue Dutch oven just like yours, which I inherited from my mother. These days the stores don’t seem to carry lard. The “lard” is usually vegetable short...
- MissBee: So a long standing question of mine, as a Grateful Dead fan. The song Friend of the Devil – I have always liked the song a lot but listened with some Catholic Angst and Trepidatio n....
- Julian Barkin: Father, this is a great idea except there is one practical/ monetary snag … not all the pontifical liturgical items are available to purchase for a TLM! I have been able to...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- Are we still trustworthy?
- Lovely, drippy, syrupy TLM and vocation video. Then Fr. Z rants about crying.
- The image of the badge of the Vendée came to mind today
- ACTION ITEM! Spiritual Bouquet for Bp. Morlino
- Fr. Z’s Kitchen: Garofolato!
- ASK FATHER: Cremains in funeral Mass, Traditional Requiem
- Pontifical Mass in Lake Charles. A brief and yet optimistic rant from Fr. Z.
- The last 10 minutes…
- 17 July 1794: “Permission to die, Mother?”
- 17 July 2018 – 100 years after
- Cobblestones, new vestments, and swag for Zed Heads
- More shallow, angry, cliché feminist rubbish from Fishwrap
- The demographics of church participation are shifting.
- ACTION ITEM! Urgent prayer request for a priest
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- “St Swithin’s day if thou be fair…”
- What priests can – with credibility – do in marriage preparation
- French stones and soutanes
- US Association of Consecrated Virgins condemns confusing new rules from Holy See
- What could possibly go wrong?
- ¡Hagan lío! in Poland. Young, and raising hell…. correction… razing Hell.
- WDTPRS – 15th Ordinary Sunday: We can stray off the path to the right or to the left.
- 12 July: Sts. Louis Martin and Marie-Azélie Guérin
- Does “Beans” @MassimoFaggioli undermine ‘Humanae vitae’?
- ASK FATHER: Mom baptized my child in the bathtub
- INTERESTING UPDATE – Pope Francis phones Gianni Vattimo, philosopher of “weak thought”
- SSPX ELECTS NEW SUPERIOR GENERAL – UPDATED
- Ex ore infantium perfecisti laudem
- ASK FATHER: Should a priest have a day off?
- ASK FATHER: Traditional Latin Mass in a Protestant church?
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
READER DONATIONS FROM…
- - JUNE -
To set up a recurring, monthly donation via PAYPAL (even a small one) go to the bottom of this blog and look for the drop down menu! Do you want yet another alternative to PayPal? I have set up an account with CONTINUE TO GIVE Get a link to donate via CONTINUE TO GIVE using your smart phone.
They take a larger percent taste, but they are an alternative.
Send snail mail to:
Fr. John Zuhlsdorf
733 Struck St.
PO BOX 44603 Madison, WI 53744-4603
I remember benefactors in my prayers and periodically say Mass for your intention.
Be a “Zed-Head”!
Fathers, you don’t know who might show up! It could be a “big fish” of one sort or other…
And... GO TO CONFESSION!
“And how we burned in the camps later, thinking: What would things have been like if every Security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if, during periods of mass arrests, as for example in Leningrad, when they arrested a quarter of the entire city, people had not simply sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every bang of the downstairs door and at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing left to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, hammers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand?... The Organs would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers and transport and, notwithstanding all of Stalin's thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt! If...if...We didn't love freedom enough. And even more – we had no awareness of the real situation.... We purely and simply deserved everything that happened afterward.”
- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Support Military Chaplains!
Visits tracked by Statcounter since Sat., 25 Nov. 2006:
What people say about Fr. Z
"The great Father Zed, Archiblogopoios" - Fr. John Hunwicke
"Some 2 bit novus ordo cleric" - Anonymous
"Rev. John Zuhlsdorf, a traditionalist blogger who has never shied from picking fights with priests, bishops or cardinals when liturgical abuses are concerned." - Kractivism
"Father John Zuhlsdorf is a crank" "Father Zuhlsdorf drives me crazy" "the hate-filled Father John Zuhlsford" [sic]
"Father John Zuhlsdorf, the right wing priest who has a penchant for referring to NCR as the 'fishwrap'" - Michael Sean Winters
"Fr Z is a true phenomenon of the information age: a power blogger and a priest." - Anna Arco
“Given that Rorate Coeli and Shea are mad at Fr. Z, I think it proves Fr. Z knows what he is doing and he is right.” - Comment
"Let me be clear. Fr. Z is a shock jock, mostly. His readership is vast and touchy. They like to be provoked and react with speed and fury." - Sam Rocha
"Father Z’s Blog is a bright star on a cloudy night." - Comment
"A cross between Kung Fu Panda and Wolverine." - Anonymous
Fr. Z is officially a hybrid of Gandalf and Obi-Wan XD - Comment
Rev. John Zuhlsdorf, a scrappy blogger popular with the Catholic right. - America Magazine
RC integralist who prays like an evangelical fundamentalist. -Austen Ivereigh on Twitter
[T]he even more mainline Catholic Fr. Z. blog. -Deus Ex Machina
“For me the saddest thing about Father Z’s blog is how cruel it is.... It’s astonishing to me that a priest could traffic in such cruelty and hatred.” - Jesuit homosexualist James Martin to BuzzFeed
Fr. Z's is one of the more cheerful blogs out there and he is careful about keeping the crazies out of his commboxes - Paul in comment at 1 Peter 5
I am a Roman Catholic, in no small part, because of your blog.
I am a TLM-going Catholic, in no small part, because of your blog.
And I am in a state of grace today, in no small part, because of your blog.
- Tom in comment
"Thank you for the delightful and edifying omnibus that is your blog."- Reader comment.
Our Lady of the Clergy, Pray for us!