Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Mariana2: Fr. Kelly, I read “My Lamborghin i and Ganganelli mugs arrived today̶ 1;…
- Arthur McGowan: I was forwarded 20 such letters (addressed to the bishop) from a parish. A priest who wanted the parish held a poison-pen -letter-wr iting party. A parish where one Confession was...
- ChrisP: Just my minor profession al opinion and I’ve told Fr Rynne this, Bennett 217;s letter has evidence of sociopathi c narcissist ic syndrome. She needs prayer as does Fr Runners.
- monstrance: Julia – BINGO
- Nan: A friend sent me a copy of his mom’ s beautiful little self published cookbook, filled with family recipes, some for lent. I went to a fish fry at the parish my friends son goes to...
- JabbaPapa: That’ ;s the second extremely nasty and vicious letter from a lay person among those in positions of responsibi lity at a parish concerning their pastor that I’ve seen in 36...
- Athelstan: Fr. Heilman notes: “No matter how gentle, no matter how slowly, no matter how much teaching goes into it, the accusation is always leveled that it was not handled appropr...
- THREEHEARTS: un-ionized - Thank you for your understand ing. I was not and am still not very brave. 80 years a catholic man. It was hard I went to school with boys who became priests and I was on...
- Joe in Canada: Her comments about what he “sai d and did on the first day” , and the implicatio n that the Archbishop supports him, seems to imply that he had some sort of mission from...
- Peter Ignotus: I realize this doesn’t carry much weight, nor should it. I’d delete my original comment if I could. My concern is that some will equate pissing people off with success, when in fact...
- PetersBarque: So this Jezebel—I mean Maureen—ha s taken it upon herself to speak for the whole kit and caboodle parish with the disrespect and snobbery spewed forth in this vicious diatribe. And...
- Roy Hobbs: Is there any other context of the situation( s) of which this letter alludes? It’s difficult to read the way it is, and some context would help. Otherwise, this lady is sound...
- straphaelguy: Padding has been ordered for the communion rails at my parish. It seems we will soon be making use of them again!
- monstrance: I never would have imagined the Tansmanian Devil a modernist.
- TKS: I just checked out his parish website. Many Latin Masses.
- Sue in soCal: Not being a priest, I can still sympathize . My husband, one of my adult sons, and I have moved from a more traditiona l parish (no Latin Mass but plenty of incense, adorati...
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: ALL: Say a prayer to everyone 8217;s Guardian Angels now, including the angels who guard Bp. Elliot, an old acquaintan ce of mine. Bp. Elliot will visit the parish to see...
- Julia_Augusta: Andrew is correct. If you do a Google search, you will see Maureen Bennett 217;s photo, together with another woman in the Tasmanian Catholic, Volume 3, Issue 3 2007, page 14, in...
- Scout: From https://ww w.facebook .com/holyw oundslatin massguild/ posts/2094 5614673011 01 Communicat ion from the Archbishop 20 March 2019 Having received a number of emails expressing conce...
- SanSan: So sorry Fr. Nicholas Rynne. This woman is out of line and so unchristia n in her remarks. My goodness, we don’ t have to agree with everyone, but must we be so vile?
- Gab: If anyone wants to send an email of support and thanks to Fr Rynne https://ho bart.catho lic.org.au /church/ho ly-trinity -westbury
- tho: As I noted from a sentence in her letter that she downplays the fear of God, I have read that such a sentiment is the beginning of wisdom. Sadly there are many Maureen 217;s out there,...
- Gab: What a tiresome thing to read. Why are liberal catholics so mouthy? “Oh Father has a difficult personalit y!”. Oh boo-hoo. A lot of people have difficult personalit es and they...
- JARay: If I get to Tasmania (something which I have been contemplat ing doing for some time) I must make it my business to seek out Fr. Rynne in Elizabeth Town in order to congratula te him. I...
- Charivari Rob: “You rs sincerely& #8221; Way to stay classy, Maureen. In a civil society, form must be observed. “we can only judge by Maureen’s own account. 8221; Why would anyone...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- LENTCAzT 2019 19 – 3rd Sunday of Lent: Mass is not a souvenir
- Vicious letter to a young, faithful priest
- LENTCAzT 2019 18 – Saturday in the 2nd Week: God chooses the weak
- STOP THE PRESSES: Young people sing in the Illinois State Capitol
- Study Commission: no evidence women were ordained to the diaconate
- Your Good News – UPDATED
- Dots to connect
- STATIONS OF THE CROSS – Audio from Fr. Z
- LENTCAzT 2019 17 – Friday in the 2nd Week: The most efficacious devotion?
- Wherein Fr. Z makes an appeal to the readership
- “Dear Fathers, dear seminarians…” Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- LENTCAzT 2019 16 – Thursday in the 2nd Week: “Don’t give me heaven! Instead give me…”
- George Weigel on “Two Georges” and future persecution
- Francis’ Triduum Schedule: strange lacuna
- Bp. Schneider: On the question of a heretical pope
- ASK FATHER: Father doses off during Mass
- LENTCAzT 2019 15 – Wednesday in the 2nd Week: Card. Burke
- Officially BADASS CATHOLIC PHOTO
- Germany: More dissent from nuns
- “Te, Ioseph celebrent”, a hymn in honor of the Terror of Demons
- CRISIS: Keen analysis of the implosion of the German Church
- LENTCAzT 2019 14 – Tuesday in the 2nd Week: Glorious St. Joseph!
- Lighter fare
- Wherein Fr. Z rants about Hell and sin and Enemy of the soul
- LENTCAzT 2019 13 – Monday in the 2nd Week: Kneeling at Mass, its actual liturgical function
- “You just want the 1950’s back!”
- ASK FATHER: How can eating desserts during Lent be fasting? Would Jesus eat desserts?
- News from the great Benedictines at Norcia: building, dogs, liturgy, beer
- ASK FATHER: A question about a marriage situation (not mine)
- How to spot a good preacher
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
New miscellaneous releases and events
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Tag Archives: penance
From a reader: I have a question regarding what kind of penances I should do as a married layperson. I feel a strong desire to do penance both for personal sins and as a sacrifice for the conversion of my … Continue reading
I’ve been getting a lot of questions by email from people in these USA who want to know about the indult that Pius XII gave to Americans to eat meat on the Friday after Thanksgiving. Rorate looked at that HERE, … Continue reading
From a reader: I advised a friend that Catholics are either to abstain from meat on Fridays or to substitute another form of prayer, good work, or abstinence; and that she should confess if she failed to do this. In … Continue reading
“And he shall make all, both little and great, rich and poor, freemen and bondmen, to have a character in their right hand, or on their foreheads.”
Under the entry about our obligation to attend Holy Mass, someone posted this comment (I removed it to here): I’ve always had a fantasy where I make wallet sized Catholic obligation cards. These would have check boxes or punch boxes … Continue reading
From a reader: Dear Father, 12 mo ago I accidently scraped a car parked but did not leave a note in the church parking lot because I was scared. I have confessed this 3 times but fear God wants more … Continue reading
From a reader: I went to confession at a neighboring parish that had recently received a 70-something priest who I know to be a bit free-wheeling as far as anything liturgical or doctrinal. This made me nervous going, but I … Continue reading
From a reader: Dear Fr Z, I’ve been reading back some of your old entries on penance and the efficacy of sacramental absolution, and they have helped clarify many things, so thank you for that! I do, however, have a … Continue reading
From a reader: Father, I went to Confession this weekend and the confessor was a man with a very thick [FOREIGN] accent. On top of that, while pronouncing the absolution he seemed… a little out of it (that sounds like … Continue reading
Here is the Collect of the 2nd Sunday of Lent, a new composition for the Novus Ordo based on a precedent in the Liber Mozarabicus Sacramentorum.: Deus, qui nobis dilectum Filium tuum audire praecepisti, verbo tuo interius nos pascere digneris, … Continue reading
From a reader: Someone told me that it is wrong to do penance on Sundays during Lent. Are Sundays part of Lent? The “forty days” seem to be the week days only. Also, we hear that every Sunday is like … Continue reading
Updated: Lent begins in a week, 22 February this year. It is time to make your plans for Lent. You should start thinking about one or more mortifications (and consider something other than chocolate) as well as some corporal and/or spiritual … Continue reading
From a reader: Yesterday before mass I went to confession and by the time I was in the confessional, the bells of the consecration were ringing. My pennance was 12 Our Fathers and 12 Hail Mary’s. (I had confessed some mortal sins, and … Continue reading
From a reader: Good morning Father, when I went to Reconciliation this past weekend I received a two part penance– the first part was immediately carried out and the second part I was to perform later at home. [grrrrr] As … Continue reading