Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- msc: Father: I would very much like to read your fuller thoughts on the Akita apparition s. Clearly your quotation above indicates belief. But there seems to be a lot of controvers y about them.
- TonyO: There̵ 7;s no getting around it: with it, we might make it inside the Door. Without it, we are lost. Thank you, Fr. Z and every good priest, for hearing my confession s. I promise to try...
- TonyO: Whether with regards to the Novus Ordo, dialogue, “new catechesis ,” new scholarshi p (that’s not really new or factual), the entire system has greatly hampered the Church’s mission...
- ChrisP: I’m with Scott Hahn on this one. McCarrick gets laicized after his crimes? IE. The laity who suffered get to deal with him? Great, thanks very much. Strip him of his ordained author...
- Kevin: Just back. FeelinR 17; so so good. Praise God.
- Semper Gumby: Good one. If I understood the PowerPoint better I’d make a handy slide out of that. Wait a minute. *reaches for Etch A Sketch*
- taylorhall95: It’s a very interestin g observatio n. And in my book, it’s the correct one. The entire “ref orm” promulgate d after Vatican 2 (and to some degree before) is...
- oldCatholigirl: How people react to regular “ext ra” prayers after Mass seems to partly be affected by their situation. If your parish has happy-clap py Masses in “wor ship...
- GregB: I have seen many of Dr. Brant Pitre̵ 7;s video presentati ons, which are available for sale. They have all been excellent. He has videos posted on YouTube as well.
- grumpyoldCatholic: Love it
- Charlotte Allen: I really like the prayer to St. Michael 211;but a better time to say it, in my opinion, would be at the end of the General Intercessi ons (I think that’ ;s what they...
- teomatteo: Van Gogh’ ;s paintings: over rated especially the portraits. A massive solar event̵ 1;probably not.
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: And then there was poor little Spirit.
- KAS: Keep praying and doing reparation . It is a known phenomenon that a bad behavior always gets a LOT worse before being eradicated , so do not lose heart, when things get worse, rejoice and pray...
- Asperges_me: Sunspots interact with the atmosphere , allowing long distance communicat ion. Aka “ski pping̶ 1; or “dx& #8221;. At a solar minimum, long distance communicat ion is...
- Fr. Kelly: When I arrived in this parish, the custom was for the priest to return after the recessiona l hymn was over, kneel down in the middle of the aisle and lead the St. Michael prayer.. Once...
- Greg Hlatky: We say the Leonine prayers after Mass and even my poor knees have no objection.
- Gab: The Leonine prayers are of course said after Mass in the TLM, led by the priest. When I’m at a N.O Mass I says the prayers myself, kneeling and when the recessiona ry “hym nR...
- Hidden One: I think properly formed and episcopall y instituted acolytes are a potentiall y very useful solution to the problem of not enough priests (and deacons) to bring Communion to the sick on...
- Hidden One: Oh good, they’ ;re canonizing the biglietto speech.
- Ed the Roman: “My battery is low.” ; “It& #8217;s getting dark.̶ 1;
- WhiteHawk800: We used this book for my seminary Intro to Old Testament class this past Fall. It is an outstandin g book! I’m sure I will make much use of it throughout the years. One of the...
- Hidden One: This book is truly excellent. It is an excellent antidote to the ailments afflicting contempora ry historical critical scholarshi p.
- acardnal: I own the Blu-ray of this movie. It is available on streaming services, too. I have to say my mind was blown away watching it! On the Blu-ray there are some wonderful “ext rasR...
- acardnal: I forgot to add “Pra ying the PsalmsR 21; by Thomas Merton is also recommende d.
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- Interesting observation by @CCPecknold about laicization of McCarrick
- WDTPRS – Septuagesima Sunday: PRE-LENT BEGINS!
- Of Flaring Suns and Starry Nights
- A quick book plug: A Catholic Introduction to the Bible: The Old Testament
- Opportunity: R.I.P.
- POLL: Prayers after Mass
- “Know also this, that, in the last days, shall come dangerous times.”
- Do you know priests who are struggling, under attack? Terrific movement: Seven Sisters Apostolate
- Movement in the causes of Bl. John Henry Newman and Card. József Mindszenty
- ASK FATHER: During sick call, tea and biscuits before administering Communion
- Another look at Catholic/Islamic statement: “diversity of religions … are willed by God in His wisdom”
- Your Good News
- “Rumors that a certain prelate threatens his orthodox priests with institutionalization or laicization are not rumors… they are truth”
- BREAKING: Rubrics and color-blindness
- Card. Kasper attacks Card. Müller who publicly proclaimed Catholic doctrine
- Thoughts about ‘ad orientem’ worship and priests being bullied
- How many baptist pastors are married?
- 10 February – St. José Sánchez del Río, Martyr
- Fr. Z’s Kitchen: Coda alla Vaccinara with digressions into Roman stuff, like a new old confraternity
- TRANS-NEPTUNIAN COMET APPROACHES EARTH
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- PODCAzT 170: Card. Müller – Manifesto of Faith: “Let not your heart be troubled!”
- WDTPRS: 5th Sunday after Epiphany AND 5th Ordinary Sunday: Familial military or martial family?
- L’Affaire McCarrick: Soon to be “Mister”
- When winter gets reeeeeally long
- PODCAzT 169: Bp. Athanasius Schneider on “the only God-willed religion”
- Card. Burke’s new, official website
- ASK FATHER: Popes in red rather than white?
- St. Francis and the Sultan: What really happened in 1219 in Catholic Muslim dialogue?
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
New miscellaneous releases and events
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Tag Archives: persecution
Occasionally a friend of mine in England makes weekend adventures to visit sites where there are preserved “priest holes”, and he sends photos. They really give you pause. As you know, in the 16th and 17th centuries, Catholics who refused … Continue reading
I would like to be able to write like Anthony Esolen every day. His latest, at the increasingly useful Crisis, is not to be missed. Most of us who are paying attention to the signs of the times, know that something … Continue reading
From a reader in the Diocese of Charlotte, in North Carolina. Hey Father, On Respect Life Sunday, our newly instituted minor seminary[!] in the Charlotte Diocese (St. Joseph) [NC] took their 8 seminarians and recited a rosary in front of … Continue reading
I warmly direct the priestly and episcopal readership here to These Stone Walls, the blog of Fr. Gordon MacRae, an innocent priest unjustly jailed. He has a deeply moving and poignant post today which I won’t try to summarize or … Continue reading
Our religious liberties are not to be taken for granted. I sometimes consider what I might do when they come for priests and bishops who continue faithfully to preach Catholic doctrine fully. When my mind goes down this dark track, … Continue reading
Life Site picked up on something that my friend Msgr. Charles Pope posted on his blog. HERE You should see this. Here is a mere sample: It is rare that a respected segment of American life would become vilified and … Continue reading
Okay… this is going to be hard. From a seminarian: I am currently a ___ year seminarian attending ___ . antecently, a new ‘policy’ was adopted here: all must receive Holy Communion standing. The Holy See has made it absolutely clear that we all have … Continue reading
In your goodness, will you stop and, right now, say a prayer for a cleric who is going through some ecclesiastical … there’s no other way to put this… persecution of the liberal sort. It’s as nasty as I have … Continue reading
This is a public service announcement. I prefer to be kind about Christian movies. That said, save yourself some irritation. The newly released “Persecuted” isn’t good. “Persecution” addresses a theme which I think is real: there is/will be persecution of … Continue reading
From the NY Daily News: Colorado baker ordered to serve gay couples vows to stop making wedding cakes This takes the cake. A Colorado baker has pledged to stop making wedding cakes after his state’s Civil Rights Commission ordered him … Continue reading
NRO has this piece, which is spot on: Thought Police on Patrol No longer trying to win the debate, the Left is trying to stop debate altogether. By Charles Krauthammer Two months ago, a petition bearing more than 110,000 signatures was … Continue reading
The Fishwrap‘s solitary boast, the nearly ubiquitous John L. Allen, Jr., has good text on (inter alia) the persecution of Christians – a topic on which he is über-credible. He includes comments made by Card. Turkson. This deserves your attention: … Continue reading
While parts of Paris are enjoying long summer nights of car burning and rioting (HERE), Islamists are kidnapping Christian girls for resale purposes. A story from Persecution.org Christian Girls Being Snatched By Islamist Traffickers ICC Note: The recent political developments … Continue reading
Biretta tip to Pewsitter for this. As I have been saying, we are going to see a lot more of this. Colorado Baker Faces Year in Jail for Refusing to Make Cake for Gay Wedding According to attorney Nicolle Martin, … Continue reading
From LifeNews: Thousands to Join Hobby Lobby Appreciation Day Over Mandate Fight Tens of thousands of Americans have committed to support the Christian crafts store Hobby Lobby on January 5 after courts have refused to issued an ruling stopping the … Continue reading