Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- JesusFreak84: Father preached about the virtue of Temperance and some of its related virtues. He wasn’ ;t graphic about chastity but he wasn’ ;t skirting around it, either, and made clear...
- Lucas: capchoirgi rl: Same here! I went 10 years ago with my parents and it was *amazing*. I can’ t recommend it enough. It’s truly beautiful down there. I’ve been back 3 times...
- Ellen: Father talked about names and how they are powerful. How God knows us all by name and cares for us as a shepherd does his sheep.
- aiello01: The Eucharist is not a substitute for a healthy dose of me’J esus.
- JonPatrick: Saturday evening we attended Divine Liturgy (Melkite Greek Catholic rite). The Gospel reading is full of symbolism. The 5 sided pool represents the 5 books of the law which by themsel...
- Imrahil: “Ecu menical Councils are free from error̶ 1; means “in their dogmasR 21;, usually for simplicity expressed in their canons and anathemas. Theologian s never dreamed of...
- Semper Gumby: Have a blessed trip Fr. Z. Looks like it’s off to an excellent start. As for rwj’ s disappeari ng pizza mystery, Tracer Bullet, Ace Private Eye, was on the job in Calab...
- NBW: Father, it all looks wonderful! Especially that tonic!
- Fr. Reader: I was there, among the crowd.
- Fr. Reader: Thank you very much for this one!
- Bthompson: First Communion this weekend: If you want to know the Good Shepherd as well as he knows you, you need to follow him and spend time with him: at the very least, you need to come to Mass...
- jellysquare: If one is not Catholic and does not believe everything the Catholic Church teaches then it is hypocritic al to receive the Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity of Christ since they are NOT...
- CaliCatholicGuy: Vocation Sunday in the Archdioces e of Los Angeles. Father drilled into the Greek of what “Good Shepherd” really meant in the gospel and said that in Greek it could be rendered as...
- Henry Edwards: TonyO: “how do you repudiate the documents of Vatican II without repudiatin g the protection guaranteed for Ecumenical Councils that they be free of error?R 21; Not a...
- benedetta: Sunday of the Paralytic in the Byzantine Rite. Jesus asks the paralytic by the sheep gate whether he wants to be made well. It might seem obvious, but then it’s true that someti...
- JustaSinner: Something tells me you’ re not stopping at any Mickey Ds this trip… ;
- Fr Martin Fox: The title of my homily was “The Shepherd 8217;s path and same-sex attraction .” I explained the ChurchR 17;s teaching, I addressed how we got where we are, and how...
- capchoirgirl: Calabria! My ancestral homeland! Someday I want to visit̷ 0;
- Cicero_NOLA: I heard Mass at the convent of the Handmaids of the Eucharist (Seitai Hoshikai) in Akita, Japan. The homily was in Japanese, so I read from Mother LoyolaR 17;s excellent “...
- frjim4321: Sheep have good, directiona l hearing; they go in the direction of a friendly voice that brings them together; they are gregarious . If we are to be good sheep, we will hear the voice of...
- KAS: For me, the saddest part of the old translatio n, and the much better new translatio n, is that I find the literal translatio ns you do to be far more meaningful and lovely in very nearly...
- JabbaPapa: You’ ll all *love* the food down in Puglia, Father …
- Fr Martin Fox: Father: Was there anything else in the drink? I am planning to replicate it. [You can add either gin or, less ideally, vodka. I didn’ ;t have any gin in it last night because of...
- Kathleen10: Blessed and safe travels, Fr. Z. Photos of food and travels are welcome. I’ll never go to Europe, so it’s all new and interestin g to me.
- Suburbanbanshee: I remember. I was home from work because I was sick as a dog, projectile vomit and all. I got some sleep with the TV still on, and suddenly there was white smoke! So much joy! Papa...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- Your Good News
- “the worthy deeds and prayers of thy blessed martyr George”
- WDTPRS 3rd Sunday after Easter (TLM): Be distinguished by your profession of Christ!
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- Felix Natalis Dies Roma!
- My View For Awhile: Mezzogiorno Edition
- 20 April 2007 – Msgr. Richard Schuler – RIP
- 19 April 2005: Benedict XVI elected
- “And Paul VI wept”. More fascinating notes about the Pope and the liturgical reform.
- Wherein Fr. Z rants about the Church as “field hospital”. Brutal horror, heroic wonder.
- WDTPRS: 4th Sunday of Easter (2002MR) – Mighty humble Shepherd, humble mighty flock
- HUGE Fr. Z kudos to a reader who wrote to bishops about the important Apostolic Pardon
- My View For A While: Mystery City
- Connection of home-schooling and entering seminary
- ASK FATHER: “My 4 year old insists on praying in Latin.” Latin resources for young children?
- A bishop, black vestments and refreshing commonsense!
- ASK FATHER: Priest Mumbles Words of Absolution. Fr. Z says: FATHERS! Stop being JACKASSES and do it right!
- Shamefaced self-promotion with warm thanks to benefactors
- “If it’s just a symbol, then to hell with it!” Wherein a Lutheran tells it as it is and then Fr. Z rants a lot.
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – Good Shepherd – AUDIO
- ASK FATHER: Communion twice in a day. But is Communion under both species already twice?
- ASK FATHER: Catholic betrothal rite, ceremony
- WDTPRS – 2nd Sunday after Easter (TLM): joy, devastation and rising
- BOOKS RECEIVED: Two VERY different DAUGHTERS!
- I’ve decided. I’m for arming teachers and the Rule of Law
- Fr. Murray and Prof. Royal opine on latest developments
- 28 April – PONTIFICAL TLM at Shrine of the Immaculate Conception
- St. Michael the Extremely Cool Samurai Archangel, defend us in battle!
- “O my God, make them like a wheel; * and as stubble before the wind.” Consolation from a Psalm.
- “Why Trappist ale tastes better”
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
I travel a good deal. As I get older, it takes more of a toll. My main airline - sigh - is Delta. Were I to get some Gift Cards for Delta, I could more easily upgrade for longer flights. I'm just sayin'. I'd be much obliged. HERE
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
A book by an old friend…
Tag Archives: persecution
Occasionally a friend of mine in England makes weekend adventures to visit sites where there are preserved “priest holes”, and he sends photos. They really give you pause. As you know, in the 16th and 17th centuries, Catholics who refused … Continue reading
I would like to be able to write like Anthony Esolen every day. His latest, at the increasingly useful Crisis, is not to be missed.
Most of us who are paying attention to the signs of the times, know that something is … Continue reading
From a reader in the Diocese of Charlotte, in North Carolina.
On Respect Life Sunday, our newly instituted minor seminary[!] in the Charlotte Diocese (St. Joseph) [NC] took their 8 seminarians and recited a rosary in front of the local … Continue reading
I warmly direct the priestly and episcopal readership here to These Stone Walls, the blog of Fr. Gordon MacRae, an innocent priest unjustly jailed. He has a deeply moving and poignant post today which I won’t try to summarize or … Continue reading
Our religious liberties are not to be taken for granted. I sometimes consider what I might do when they come for priests and bishops who continue faithfully to preach Catholic doctrine fully.
When my mind goes down this dark track, I … Continue reading
Life Site picked up on something that my friend Msgr. Charles Pope posted on his blog. HERE You should see this.
Here is a mere sample:
It is rare that a respected segment of American life would become vilified and hated overnight. … Continue reading
Okay… this is going to be hard.
From a seminarian:
I am currently a ___ year seminarian attending ___ .
antecently, a new ‘policy’ was adopted here: all must receive Holy Communion standing.
The Holy See has made it absolutely clear that we all have the right to receive the … Continue reading
In your goodness, will you stop and, right now, say a prayer for a cleric who is going through some ecclesiastical … there’s no other way to put this… persecution of the liberal sort.
It’s as nasty as I have ever … Continue reading
This is a public service announcement.
I prefer to be kind about Christian movies. That said, save yourself some irritation. The newly released “Persecuted” isn’t good.
“Persecution” addresses a theme which I think is real: there is/will be persecution of true Christians … Continue reading
From the NY Daily News:
Colorado baker ordered to serve gay couples vows to stop making wedding cakes
This takes the cake.
A Colorado baker has pledged to stop making wedding cakes after his state’s Civil Rights Commission ordered him to start baking … Continue reading