Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- acardnal: What is ICEL’ ;s “eve r livingR 21; issue with the word “ete rnal” ; ?
- davidjhickey: Basilica of St. Praxedis?
- twoadaydanny: A friendR 17;s mother, well into her 80’s and on her deathbed, was asked by her son if there was anything he could get for her. “Cha mpagneR 21; she managed to rasp...
- Nan: But that’ ;s not how vocations work. Men discerning the priesthood don’ t necessaril y fall into the ordained priest column, nor is it a spreadshee t about whether the girls or boys...
- Sandy: The efforts of your reader who contacted all these bishops is indeed praisewort hy! God bless him! As someone above said, I too pray for St. Joseph each day to minister to each one in my...
- The Masked Chicken: People who grow up in a household where religion is held in reverence tend to maintain their religion longer. There is no mystery, here. It can happen in a secular household, if...
- millercr2: Next time you’ re in Chi town, a must stop is Chicago Pizza & Oven Grinder, 2121 N. Clark, Chicago, IL. A unique experience you’ ll never forget! Every time I visit...
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: The Astronomer says: cards with the Apostolic Pardon I think one of the readers of this blog developed something just like that.
- Ellen: My father and mother both received the Apostolic Pardon before their deaths. It was moving for all of us who were there.
- The Astronomer: Father, Is there a place one can order those classic older-styl e plastic-co vered ‘sai nt’ holy cards with the Apostolic Pardon on one side and a picture of Our Lord on...
- Imrahil: Speaking of the German bishops, I can’ t help to find it somewhat under-ment ioned that 1 of the 2 German diocesan-b ishop Cardinals, 5 of the 7 (if you count Speyer 8) Bavar...
- Alice: I’d be curious as to how many homeschool ed men are being ordained. Every article I’m seeing indicates that homeschool ed men are more likely to enter seminary than non-hom...
- Semper Gumby: Anthony Esolen had an interestin g article in Crisis Magazine the other day related to this topic. Here’ ;s an excerpt: “The other day we Americans were informed by Natio...
- Semper Gumby: “And let them know that the Lord is thy name: * thou alone art the most High over all the earth.R 21; “My correspond ent was consoled by this psalm and its assura...
- Nan: Even I could identify the location from the first shot!
- Nan: Because football players are delicate flowers and the baseball team had no idea that global warming is real! /
- WmHesch: There̵ 7;s actually a positive injunction to teach the Faithful not only about the Apostolic Pardon, but also about the “ple nary indulgence in articulo mortisR 21; 1999...
- Nan: There̵ 7;s a lovely seminarian , just finishing his first year of major seminary, who was homeschool ed. My parish is very small and only a few families still have school age children. Of...
- Suburbanbanshee: Re: dawg, Fr Z is referring to the Northern Cities fronting of the vowel, as opposed to the Midlands or Southern use of the sound of caught or cot. If the vowel is all the way up...
- benedetta: I take it, alas, that frjim4321, if he cannot appreciate and embrace homeschool ers authentica lly in caritas, would also be the sort of priest unable to appreciate and enjoy a good yarn...
- chantgirl: Diocesan and religious order Catholic schools have largely lost their way. I initially tried 2 different Catholic schools with my oldest, but withdrew him after growing tired of him...
- iPadre: Immediatel y upon the first pic, Frank̵ 7;s song “My kind of town” ; came to mind.
- John F.: One of my favorite meat markets is Paulina Meat market. Is convenient to the Paulina station on the Ravenswood train (Brown line for youngsters )
- New Sister: I read about this apostolic blessing in the testimony given by Père Jean-Bapti ste, Canon Regular at the Abbey Sainte-Mar ie de Lagrasse. It was he who gave anointing of the sick and...
- JesusFreak84: Knew where you were on the first shot, because I sometimes drive under an L track on my way to the Shrine of Christ the King, Sovereign Priest. (Also, don’ t let those Sox...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- “And Paul VI wept”. More fascinating notes about the Pope and the liturgical reform.
- Wherein Fr. Z rants about the Church as “field hospital”. Brutal horror, heroic wonder.
- WDTPRS: 4th Sunday of Easter (2002MR) – Mighty humble Shepherd, humble mighty flock
- HUGE Fr. Z kudos to a reader who wrote to bishops about the important Apostolic Pardon
- My View For A While: Mystery City
- Connection of home-schooling and entering seminary
- ASK FATHER: “My 4 year old insists on praying in Latin.” Latin resources for young children?
- A bishop, black vestments and refreshing commonsense!
- ASK FATHER: Priest Mumbles Words of Absolution. Fr. Z says: FATHERS! Stop being JACKASSES and do it right!
- Shamefaced self-promotion with warm thanks to benefactors
- “If it’s just a symbol, then to hell with it!” Wherein a Lutheran tells it as it is and then Fr. Z rants a lot.
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – Good Shepherd – AUDIO
- ASK FATHER: Communion twice in a day. But is Communion under both species already twice?
- ASK FATHER: Catholic betrothal rite, ceremony
- WDTPRS – 2nd Sunday after Easter (TLM): joy, devastation and rising
- BOOKS RECEIVED: Two VERY different DAUGHTERS!
- I’ve decided. I’m for arming teachers and the Rule of Law
- Fr. Murray and Prof. Royal opine on latest developments
- 28 April – PONTIFICAL TLM at Shrine of the Immaculate Conception
- St. Michael the Extremely Cool Samurai Archangel, defend us in battle!
- “O my God, make them like a wheel; * and as stubble before the wind.” Consolation from a Psalm.
- “Why Trappist ale tastes better”
- WDTPRS – 3rd Sunday of Easter (Novus Ordo): a candle is honey sweet summons
- @austinruse on “Slippery Jim” @JamesMartinSJ and his non-explanation explanation
- IMPORTANT from @HeartbeatIntl – abortion pill reversal method rescues babies without bad effects, physicians network
- Gallup Poll points to future demographic disaster. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- R.J. Snell reviews @DouthatNYT book about Pope Francis and his pontificate
- Jesuits to host homosexual “Pride Prom” at @MarquetteU
- Beautiful video about the Traditional Latin Mass. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- Look! Up in the sky! It’s a bird… it’s a plane… it’s…. STEVE!
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
I travel a good deal. As I get older, it takes more of a toll. My main airline - sigh - is Delta. Were I to get some Gift Cards for Delta, I could more easily upgrade for longer flights. I'm just sayin'. I'd be much obliged. HERE
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
A book by an old friend…
Tag Archives: pilgrimage
I haven’t seen many photos from the beautiful Pontifical Mass we had in the Basilica of St. Peter during the 2016 Summorum Pontificum Pilgrimage. However, I spotted this video of the undersigned, acting as Deacon for the Mass. HERE
? Sequentia Sancti Evangelii Secundum … Continue reading
Have you ever heard of a “ley line”? These are straight lines that can be draw on a map linking both man made and natural sites that line up in a significant way. For example there is a Ley Line … Continue reading
The Summorum Pontificum pilgrimage in Rome is a great event. I hope to go as long as they are held.
There is now a video documentary of last year’s experience with English subtitles. HERE
There are high quality views of some of the liturgical events … Continue reading
The procession and Pontifical Mass for the Summorum Pontificum pilgrimage was this morning. Here are some shots.
I prayed for you, the readers here, my family, my friends, my confreres in Madison, the … gulp… Synod.
Starting in S. … Continue reading
I want to bring to your attention the upcoming annual Summorum Pontificum pilgrimage to Rome 19-29 October. It is handled by Orbis Catholicus and my friend John Sonnen. I will be going, as chaplain. That means TLMs everyday and probably some … Continue reading
There is a German language video available about the recent Summorum Pontificum pilgrimage I participated in with a group of American and Canadian pilgrims. It has some good footage of the Pontifical Mass celebrated by His Eminence Raymond Card. Burke … Continue reading
Pilgrimages are little lives. We encounter people, who have their own issues and goals. We find out things about ourselves. We have our faces set towards the goal. There are hardships.
I saw this at nwi.com:
Polish Catholic pilgrims march across Northwest … Continue reading
At the site of The Remnant there is a piece which quotes the great Msgr. Nicola Bux on Pope Francis’ attitude about the older, traditional forms of the Roman Rite.
Vatican Consultant Says Pope Will Not Hamper Traditional Latin Mass
By Alberto Carosa
ROME … Continue reading
CNA/EWTN had a piece about the pilgrimage to Rome in thanksgiving for Summorum Pontificum. The undersigned was happy to be quoted.
Pilgrims arrive in Rome to celebrate Latin Mass permission
By Matthew A. Rarey
Vatican City, Nov 2, 2012 / 12:01 pm (CNA/EWTN … Continue reading
Tomorrow, Saturday, 22 September, there will be a Pilgrimage to the Shrine of St. Frances Xavier Cabrini in New York City for a Solemn Mass at 10 AM (Missale Romanum 1962).
The Shrine is located just south of the Cloisters Museum in Manhattan … Continue reading