Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!Enter Amazon through my link, the image below (they took away our search box!), and I will get a small percentage of what you spend. (Pssst - Can't see it? Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
Here's a generic "catholic" search start point for Amazon:
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Suburbanbanshee: The SAT test of today is a lot easier than the old ones, although poorly asked questions do introduce a degree of difficulty . But any SAT should be easy it you read a lot, know...
- bookworm: The discussion of print vs electronic books is of particular interest to me. A couple of years ago my husband and I discovered self-publi shing and we started a mini business (Monroe St....
- TonyO: The whole idea of a mass with upwards of 40,000 (in some cases, upwards of 200,000) people is problemati c in the extreme. At a certain point the distance, and the intervenin g space /...
- majuscule: Why not stress a spiritual communion at the mega Masses? How many people even know what spiritual communion is? It would be a good educationa l opportunit y!
- tamranthor: My son was always drawn to the statues of the three children and the lambs that stand in the courtyard at the (now horrible) Church in Waunakee. He absolutely loved them when he was a...
- David L Alexander: “At one point you would think that someone, looking out at the much smaller than anticipate d crowd, would have said, ‘Gee . Maybe we should remove some of these...
- Akita: Thank you for these beautiful, multifacet ed, edifying little Lenten “gift packets”. Love the history. Loved learning about St Sebastian, St Monica. Makes it easy to envision their human...
- Kathleen10: Thank you so much to one and all for these great recommenda tions. I have jotted them all down. I work with children, and the other day we read together Old Mother Hubbard. None of the...
- Mary Jane: I wanted to give some words of encouragem ent for HeatherPA. :) I’m a homeschool graduate (I’m in my early 30s now). After graduating , I went on to earn a Bachelor of...
- Mary Jane: Uh yeah no. If the logistics of the location/s eating/etc are such that communion can’ t distribute d with reverence, I say no.
- frjim4321: The “sac ristanR 21; for a neighborin g “par ish picnic mass” ; was found to have several hundred consecrate d host in her freezer that she was going to save for the...
- frjimt: Brings tears to my eyes.. There is hope! Our Lady of Pillar pray for us!
- Titus: Just say no to the distributi on of Holy Communion to the congregati on at such events. I will say, to the credit of those involved, that when I was at the Pope’ ;s Easter morning Mass...
- JonathanTX: I second the question by APX above: why volunteer that it would be an EF Mass? Does the host church need to know that for a practical or logistical reason? As a layman, I̵...
- Nathan: Since the Novus Ordo is changeable , why wouldnR 17;t a provision in the GIRM allowing Papal Masses to be celebrated without the distributi on of Holy Communion be feasible? Wasn...
- robtbrown: FrJim4321, I don’ t pretend to know each personR 17;s malady. I do, however, know what the celebrants said, and it went so far as to include almost everyone, even to the point...
- David: Hopelessly low rent, many would say, but I would indeed recommend the Hardy Boys series, but only the originals, not the re-written PC ones. I learned from them a very long time ago what it...
- David: Another sad fact is that these people are not, I think, theologica lly sophistica ted enough to have an intellectu al position that could explain their behavior. All they are going on is...
- David: I am reminded of another Cardinal Ottaviani story (I have many). He once attended a Eucharisti c Congress where giant crowds received Communion. His comment: “I can’ t believe...
- LarryW2LJ: As Inigo Montoya would say: “Par adigm shift? You keep using those words. I do not think they mean what you think they mean.̶ 1;
- Semper Gumby: Great article by Fr. Longenecke r, a methodical and solid correction of Fr. Martin. God willing, Fr. Martin will accept at least some of the correction . Thought I’d mention...
- richiedel: I would like to tell Cdl. Cupich the following: The world teaches families to do what feels good and to be accepting of family members who do things you may not agree with, then, when...
- adriennep: HeatherPA, I feel your pain, as I’m also a rural Catholic desirous of a classical education. But rejoice, there are options now. Not only can you get a great classical education online...
- JabbaPapa: The Catholicit y is not a “par adigm̶ 1; — I also think that those who are over-using this word in recent times are mis-using it from a lack of understand ing of what it...
- Fr. Lovell: I was ordained a priest just six weeks prior to the release of “Summorum Pontificum .” I mention this because from the very beginning I have experience d the joy of the EF as well as...
CLICK and say your daily offering!
- LENTCAzT 2018 08 – Wednesday in the 1st Week of Lent: Never ending combat
- 20 Feb – Feast of Sts Francisco and Jacinta of Fatima
- Of “paradigm shift” interest
- Spain: young people dancing a jota in reparation for blasphemy against the Blessed Virgin
- Mega-Masses and too many Hosts
- The State v. Self-Reliance
- LENTCAzT 2018 07 – Tuesday in the 1st Week of Lent: subtle temptation
- Attacks on the family
- My View For Awhile: Capital Edition
- Books for boys. Suggested titles and an additional point.
- LENTCAzT 2018 06 – Monday in the 1st Week of Lent: “I warned you!”
- Wherein Fr Longenecker schools @JamesMartinSJ
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- WDTPRS 1st Sunday of Lent (N.O.): The Lenten “Sacrament”
- LENTCAzT 2018 05 – 1st Sunday of Lent: Anger and Reason
- Commandments are NOT mere “ideals” from which some are excused because, “They’re tooo haaard!” Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- JUST TOO COOL – Cops, ashes, and podcasts
- VIDEO Fr. Murray and Prof. Royal on some tough issues
- LENTCAzT 2018 04 – Ash Saturday: Getting ready for… it.
- Pontifical Requiem Mass for a great lover of the Church’s sacred liturgy
- LENTCAzT 2018 03 – Ash Friday: Grant me a little more time
- Role of #MSM in mass shootings: If it bleeds, it leads. Angry @fatherz asks fearful questions
- Wherein Fr. Z rants in the wake of the Florida school mass murder
- Friday after Ash Wednesday: Feast of the Crown of Thorns
- LENTCAzT 2018 02 – Ash Thursday: What you are I was, what I am you shall be.
- Your #AshWednesday Sermon Notes #ashtag – AUDIO Fr Z
- Ash Wednesday, Fasting, Abstaining, and You – with notes on alligator, endothermic moonfish, and muskrat
- LENTCAzT 2018 01: Ash Wednesday – Unto dust thou shalt return.
- Fun with @OneMadMomBlog – BuzzFeed – Alt-Right and @SebGorka
- LENTCAzT 2018 00: Shrove Tuesday – Get out your armor, pilgrim’s shoes and cloaks
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
A book by an old friend…
Tag Archives: poll
How many readers here are going to participate in any or all of the events surrounding the 2013 March For Life in Washington D.C., on 25 January.
I understand there is a TLM being sponsored by a Juventutem group after the … Continue reading
UPDATE 7 Dec: The Tablistas finally found the correct texts for their poll about the new translation. Go back and give it another try! NB: As a sweetener, there is a question about preference for the Ordinary or Extraordinary Forms.
Click … Continue reading
What happens if, in the presidential election, both candidates wind up with the same number of Electoral College votes? WaPo has some scenarios HERE.
Review: Popular vote does not elect a President as it does Representatives to Congress (Senators were … Continue reading
Let’s return to an oldie-POLL for today’s beautiful feast.
First, a commercial: Years ago an acquaintance who participated on the old Compuserve Catholic Forum started her own online rosary business. She made the most beautiful – and also strongest – rosaries … Continue reading
For POLL info, read to the bottom.
From Australian news.com.au
Priests could be ordered to report confessions of sex abuse to police
July 18, 2012 12:00AM
HUNDREDS of years of Catholic tradition in the confessional could be overturned by Victoria’s inquiry into … Continue reading
Over at the super-liberal US Catholic site there is multi-question poll going on:
What does Vatican II mean to you?
Fifty years after the groundbreaking council began, does Vatican II still matter in the faith lives of Catholics?
We have seen US catholic and … Continue reading
I urge interested readers to check out a “position paper” by the chairman of the Latin Mass Society in England, Mr. Joseph Shaw. He talks in brief here about his paper, which was posted in full by our friends over at … Continue reading
Please use the sharing buttons! Thanks!
What’s your blood type? Have you, because of some problem, ever needed blood? Have you ever given blood?
I understand that Thursday is World Blood Donor Day.
I have a pretty rare blood-type. As an A- (about … Continue reading
Bloggers! Please pick this up. You don’t have to link to me. Just DO IT. Solidarity!
The dreadful TIME Magazine (dreadful when it comes to anything about the Catholic Church) is having a poll and you should participate.
From their site:
The 2012 … Continue reading
In an otherwise dreadful tech day for me, I have had a bright spot.
The UPS Gal swooped in her brown truck with a gift from a reader from my amazon wishlist: the DVD/BRAY of the movie The Way (thanks to … Continue reading
I put it to you.
I offer a two-tier answer option.
At The Daily Telegraph, a UK paper and site, there is a poll which could use some attention.
It concerns an issue in the USA, namely, a law in Texas that requires women to view an ultrasound image before an abortion.
Here … Continue reading
Will some of you bloggers out there give me a hand with this? It would be nice to have a large sample. I am trying to keep this as neutral and as objective as possible.
The last TV debate before the … Continue reading
There is a lot of discussion about holding hands during the Our Father.
I am curious about your preferences.
Please chose your best answer and give your reasons or explanations in the combox, below.
Do NOT.. do NOT… engage each other in the … Continue reading
Here is a survey about YOU. Pass the word to others.
IMPORTANT: Anyone can participate in this survey. I cannot tell who you are or even where you are. If some bishop or priest out there is worried about being identified, … Continue reading
Thanks to all of you who have been ordering Mystic Monk Coffee and Tea from the Carmelites in Wyoming. You are helping them build their new monastery and put groceries on the table. You are also helping me put groceries … Continue reading
Please choose your answer and give your reasons in the combox below.