HAM RADIO W9FRZ STATUS
Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
I had to change the way that people go to amazon to buy things because... you know... why make it easy?. So, just click the link below. Once you're in, you're good to shop.
Try AmazonFresh Free Trial
Shop Amazon Gold Box - New Deals. Everyday
Shop Amazon Gift Cards - Instant Delivery or Free One-Day Shipping
Try Prime Discounted Monthly Offering
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Chris Garton-Zavesky: I understand from canons of the Institute of Christ the King that the beard is worn in Africa, where it is a sign of wisdom and authority, but that the canons who return to...
- davidpaulyoung: Sicut unguentum in capite, quod descendit in barbam, barbam Aaron̷ 0; Ps 132:2
- Hidden One: Semper Gumby, I believe you have conflated the presently common notion of a ‘sci ence’ ; with the more ancient notion of science 211;perhap s I should write ‘...
- Mario Bird: AMLETH To beard, or not to beard: this is the quest. Whether tis nobler on the face to sport An ever-growi ng mass of tousled twine, Changing color as age doth wax and wane; Or yet whet...
- Deacon Nicholas: Orthodox (and bearded) deacon here. Also saw service in the Coast Guard before it banned beards in 1986. For years I’ve heard a quotation attributed to St. Athanasius (or...
- de_cupertino: the unseemly garment 230; Seriously though, failing to uphold the ChurchR 17;s moral teaching and the sanctity of life does seem to go hand-in-ha nd with personal depravity.
- MGL: One factoid was that, in one stream of “Alt-Right ” the length of a beard is perceived even to exonerate a man from more and more moral norms, depending on its length. LOL. I suspect this is...
- rcg: “…au stere and despised.” I like that. There is a sign in the Black Rifle Coffe Company that says, “They Don’t Like Us. We Don’t Care.” I need that sign and a Beard. [Shades of Millwal...
- Charles E Flynn: Father has saved himself $80: Emergency Beard Kit
- fmsb78: I am a SSPX attendee because of circumstan ces in the Church. Maybe in the US you can find a TLM around the corner anywhere but for those living in latin countries, under 99% of Liberat...
- Ejohnson: Also what is the correct terminolog y of the laity that attend the Sspx? [“la ity” ]
- Ejohnson: Ok Father I do believe I said erroneous opinion :-p
- Ad Orientem: I am reminded of the story concerning an American woman who was visiting some of the Greek islands on vacations. One Sunday she decided to step into the local Greek Orthodox church...
- deaconjohn1987: I had a full beard for a few years while living in Florida, but now I just have a mustache. When asked why, I respond “It& #8217;s to show my manhood! 8221; :-)
- Hidden One: I’ve known priests and seminarian s to grow a beard in order to spend less time and energy on their facial hair than they would on carefully daily shaving. Of course, these were...
- Charlotte Allen: In response to Henry Edwards: Beards strike me as correlatin g with priestly youth̵ 1;and younger priests tend to be more religiousl y conservati ve than older ones. Several of...
- Hidden One: Post read, prayer said.
- FrCharles: Of course, for religious clerics the situation may be otherwise. To wit, the Capuchin Constituti ons of 1552: “The y shall not have basins, but only one razor for bloodletti ng,...
- Amerikaner: I’d like to see Capuchins grow massive beards again. Today they look – meh.
- ctek: An interestin g take by Cardinal Burke a couple years ago, which I cannot find evidence that he has changed his position since then: https://ak acatholic. com/breaki ng-cardina l-burke...
- Henry Edwards: Do clerical beards appear to correlate with Latin and cassocks and traditiona l belief and practice? Or is it simply that beards are more prevalent among younger priests, who typic...
- SanSan: ha ha ha ha … 230;… ;…si gh
- Fr Matthew-Anthony OP: With Father Zuhlsdorf& #8217;s leave, I wish to respond to some egregious misinforma tion about the Catholic Charismati c Renewal (CCR) posted in this combox. I will be...
- Ejohnson: So Sunday mass obligation can be fulfilled at the SSPX parish? Funny I was just having this conversati on with a friend this past weekend. Unbeknown to me I erroneousl y said that the...
- APX: This is so much better than today’s “music”. Though, it could use more cowbell.
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- Clerical beards.
- The TMSM welcomes Bp. Hying to @MadisonDiocese
- PARODY SONG ALERT: Amazoniana Synod
- Shades of Windswept House – UPDATED with a new interview about the late Card. Bernardin
- Earthquake at near Rome – 20:43:47 (UTC) Magnitude 3.4 at a depth of 5 KM – @ Colonna, Italy
- VIDEO Fr @GeraldMurray8 and Dr @RobertSRoyal analyze hot-button issues
- ASK FATHER: Can I really fulfill my Mass obligation at an SSPX chapel?
- Concerning the upcoming Synod, Germans and Tapirs
- ACTION ITEM: How you can help defend the Seal of Confession in California
- “This ‘Communion in the hand’ thing needs to stop.”
- #ActonU 2019 Day 4: Great people… great content
- Archd. of Indianapolis says Jesuit school isn’t Catholic
- #ActonU 2019 Day 1 = Day 3: getting up to speed
- ASK FATHER: Do we receive also the Holy Spirit in Communion?
- ASK FATHER: Obligation to attend the local parish instead of going somewhere else
- Online Shopping Reminder and BIRETTA PROJECT
- Blistering NRO piece flames the recent USCCB meeting
- ASK FATHER: Trying to translate prayers into Latin, but I don’t trust Google
- Lib ‘c’atholic outcry in … 3… 2… 1
- 15-18 July 2019: East Coast Priest Conference in Wheeling, WV – looks good!
- Fr Rosica, amazing papal claims, and resignations
- Priest apologizes to traditional Catholics: “The future of the Church is in her past.”
- ASK FATHER: Is a concelebrated Mass just one Mass or several Masses?
- NOVENA FOR SEMINARIANS – from Corpus Christi to Sacred Heart, with a Marian Consecration
- A Solemn Mass in Albany in the presence of the bishop. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- Thoughts about the change to CCC 2267 on the death penalty
- Chilean priest’s episcopal consecration axed because of some comments
- Canonist Ed Peters eviscerates bishops – one in particular – who won’t apply law
- USCCB meets. They talk about the “nones”. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
Tag Archives: Post-Synodal Apostolic Exhortation
Card. Schoenborn gave an interview about Amoris laetitia to Antonio Spadaro, SJ an excerpt of which is in Civiltà Cattolica. Almost before the excerpt was released MS Winters at the National Sodomitic Reporter issued a 1500 word fatwah proclaiming Schoenborn’s infallibility, while also … Continue reading
My heart rate increased a bit when I read the following… I am aware that “Amoris Laetitia”, as an apostolic exhortation, does not come under any rubric of infallibility. Still it is a document of the papal ordinary magisterium, and … Continue reading
In Catholic World Report there is some analysis of Amoris laetitia. The writer first contrasts himself with others who think that the Exhortation is not magisterial in nature. That doesn’t mean that he doesn’t find problems. For example: […] 2. Doctrine … Continue reading
I have had notes from priests and from personnel in tribunals saying that people are saying, in effect, “Forget about our annulment case. Pope Francis says what we are doing is okay.” Some report as well that even in … Continue reading
I am trying to think back through the Church’s long history for an instance in which a Pope has withdrawn one of his own teaching documents, on faith and morals. Of course Popes have superseded previous documents by issuing their own. … Continue reading
I direct the readership’s attention to a piece at Crisis about Amoris laetitia, the controversial and ambiguous Post-Synodal Apostolic Exhortation… that is, if any of you still care to read about it. Or listen to it! Hopefully busy priests and seminarians … Continue reading
UPDATE: Spaemann’s interview is now in English. HERE We are all suffering from Amoris defatigatio, I know. But as the days and weeks pile up in the wake of Pope Francis Post-Synodal Apostolic Exhortation, and many and varying accounts and interpretations of … Continue reading
In this PODCAzT I read for you the open letter by Bishop Athanasius Schneider, Auxiliary Bishop of the Archdiocese of St Mary in Astana, Kazakhstan. It seems that it was originally released in Italian, but it was subsequently translated into … Continue reading
Voice of the Family has an approved English translation of Bp. Athanasius Schneider’s comments on Amoris Laetitia. HERE It is important that everyone read this, agree or not. He adds an important perspective. I have already quoted from one part in … Continue reading
If you, like I do, suffer from Amoris defetiscenia, you might be clicking past pieces you see about the Post-Synodal Apostolic Exhortation. I confess that I have to fight the temptation to tune out and just ignore the document and its coverage. Alas, … Continue reading
At the Italian site Corrispondenza romana we find a longish reaction to Amoris laetitia from His Excellency Most Reverend Athanasius Schneider. The text is in Italian, but eventually it will be translated in full (but not by me and not today). Here … Continue reading
UPDATE: I fixed the glitch at 24:02-24-22. Sorry about that. It was a lot of reading – with interruptions – and editing together. If you had an “overlap” in that time range, you can download again or listen again and … Continue reading
Soooo…. Amoris laetitia is out. Or is it? Not a few times on this blog have I pointed out that, by the time the texts of documents are released officially in the Acta Apostolicae Sedis (AAS) changes are made. When we … Continue reading
Card. Schönborn: “sacraments” in Infamous Footnote 351 means mainly the Sacrament of Penance (Reconciliation)
The other day Pope Francis told journalists during the airplane presser on his return to Rome from Lesbos that, to understand the controversial bit in Amoris laetitia Infamous Footnote 351, we should have recourse to Card. Schönborn’s address at the presentation of the Post-Synodal Exhortation … Continue reading
Francis: “What I ask you is to read the presentation of the document made by Cardinal Schonborn.” Okay, Your Holiness, we’ll do that.
Pope Francis told journalists during the airplane presser on his return to Rome from Lesbos that to understand the controversial bit in Amoris laetitia Infamous Footnote 351 we should have recourse to Card. Schönborn’s address at the presentation of the Post-Synodal Exhortation on 8 … Continue reading