Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Ms. M-S: It’s not really so surprising , is it? The battle has been joined, and Martin is at best (really, for his sake, at best) a useful idiot of the opposing side, yelling “Lay down...
- Benedict Joseph: Why is this fraud not following his real vocation? There is an urgent need for Uber drivers somewhere.
- Joy65: WHEN will he be silenced by the Church. He is doing more harm than good but especially as a Catholic Priest he should be definitely NOT be putting out his own opinions as the ChurchR 17;s...
- iPadre: When a priest denies the power/ necessity/ the impact of prayer and penance, something is seriously wrong. In August of 2017 Our Lady of Fatima said: “pra y much and make sacrifi...
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: RunsOnDeca f: did he disobey? I honestly don’ t know the whole of what he was told or who told him. I found one post by a guy in Chicago who strikes me as well-infor med....
- Anneliese: I think he’s party afraid that penance and prayer will work. Penance and prayers don’ t only offer reparation , it also leads to conversion . Why would he want anyone to have...
- Dismas: Per the second update – In the spirit of reclaiming language, the term would be “Ald erman̶ 1;, as the term “man ” indicates species first and foremost. Strange...
- mattg: When are we going to call out these posing sodomites as the Marquess of Queensberr y did to the man who had corrupted his son? That is exactly what we need right now. There should be no...
- RunsOnDecaf: Father Z, in your opinion, did he disobey? Fr Kalchik announced he would do this in a public ceremony. The Archdioces e said do not. So he did so privately. It wasn’t a public act. The...
- Anneliese: I watched a little bit of the video posted by Channel 9 and I’m annoyed by some of these protesters who say hate has no home in their neighborho od. I noticed that the signs that...
- hwriggles4: Thank you Fr. Paul Kalchik. The Church needs more priests who are leaders. The Church needs less of “Fr. Nice and Fr. Yeah Whatever.& #8221; A good deacon said months ago to a...
- tho: As Jesus Christ set an example for us, by driving the money changers out of the temple. I firmly believe that priests like Father Kalchik, along with Archbishop Vigano, are setting an example...
- Marion Ancilla Mariae II: KT127, I don’ t advocate at all, “ 216;let’s tear down everything you find offensive so maybe you will say nice things about us.'” ; I think priests...
- richiedel: It would be interestin g to see the midterm and final reports at this point, too, along with the records of those breakout group discussion s. It would be a bit much to keep pretend...
- JesusFreak84: “The IL for Synod-2018 reads, rather, like a draft of a Synod Final Report. 221; Been saying this would happen since the Synod was announced.
- KT127: “To avoid unnecessar y misunderst andings” Oh please. We have spent most of my life trying to “avoid unnecessar y misunderst andings” with the general public and it has done nothing for us...
- Suburbanbanshee: If a cardinal or bishop wants to command things contrary to the Faith, he should do himself, and confirm it in writing. Hearsay from flunkies is not a command, if the command is...
- Marion Ancilla Mariae II: Chantgirl asked: “Doe s Cupich really want to be seen as punishing an abuse victim who is fighting back against the vice that lead to his abuse?R 21; Yes, he...
- SanSan: they hung that disgusting flag over the altar covering up our precious Jesus. Cdl. Bernadine stands under it in a picture that Church Militant obtained and showed us. Just so sadden.
- Sonshine135: Let me get this straight (no pun intended): +Priest finds a rainbow banner used to welcome people who keep themselves in perhaps one of the worsts mortal sins possible to a church...
- Dismas: The past fifty odd years were but the opening skirmishes of the Crisis. Cardinal Cupich is the gold standard for the kinds of bishops to be elevated for the foreseeabl e future. If you have...
- Atra Dicenda, Rubra Agenda: “The IL for Synod-2018 reads, rather, like a draft of a Synod Final Report. And that is a prescripti on for a failed Synod.R 21; There it is. And according to...
- Adelle Cecilia: “Sho uld we pray for or against the success of _____?R 21; This is something that, in recent years, I’ve changed my mind about. Similar to, “ple ase let me/him...
- Adelle Cecilia: The executive director of DignityUSA said, “When we see this symbol flying at our churches, we know this will be a place of welcome and affirmatio n and a place where God’s creati...
- teetee67: These events make it very difficult to teach people about reverence and purpose regarding liturgy. There was a video from the Philippine s that had a Jesus “pop up” behind the...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- One Mad Mom spanks James Martin, LGBTSJ – UPDATED
- Bishop R. Walker Nickless of Sioux City on #ViganoTestimony
- Archd. Chicago parish burns a “rainbow flag”
- And now a word from our sponsor…
- BOOKS RECEIVED: Vatican I: The Council and the Making of the Ultramontane Church
- The upcoming Synod’s “working document”
- ASK FATHER: Should we pray for or against the success of the Synod?
- What passes for important today.
- YOU are other people. It’s always someone else… until it’s YOU.
- ASK FATHER: Are we are in the End Times?
- Fr. Murray’s Open Letter to ex-Card. McCarrick. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- Cri de Coeur about lost innocence and The Present Crisis
- Card. Müller: “the real danger to today’s humanity is the greenhouse gases of sin and the global warming of unbelief”
- Thoughts on fatherhood and how priestly identity is undercut by short terms as pastors
- More Jesuit idiocy – BUT WAIT! There’s more!
- Henry Sire: “Archbishop Viganò is now living in fear of his life, quite literally.”
- ASK FATHER: Can a Dominican Tertiary priest use the Dominican Rite?
- Lay Rage in Chicago, Mary Eberstadt takes names, and Fr. Z rants
- There are more than one “lavender mafia”
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- WDTPRS – 17th Sunday after Pentecost: diabolical contagion
- We are all, I think, striving to understand how we got to the point where we are.
- ASK FATHER: What should we do for Ember Days?
- UPDATED – ACTION ITEM! 10 year old’s fundraiser for a Pregnancy Care Center
- At end of youth meeting, no Apostolic Benediction from Francis.
- Francis to clergy, seminarians, religion in Palermo: “Clericalism… one of the most difficult perversions”
- UPDATE: 15 Sept: Seven Sorrows of Mary, Mater Dolorosa, Queen of Martyrs – Queen of Clergy
- @BishopZubik announces traditional practices for @DioPitt
- Bits and pieces
- WDTPRS – 24th Ordinary Sunday: Does it make any difference to offer prayers to God?
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Tag Archives: priesthood
A while back I posted about the old Rite of Degradation of a Bishop, found even in rather modern editions of the traditional Pontificale Romanum. I posted the text, some notes and my translation.
The rites are provided for degrading an archbishop, … Continue reading
At Crisis there is posted an open letter from an anonymous young priest to bishops.
It is a cri de coeur.
Where Are the Bishops Who Will Defend Faithful Priests?
I read this letter today, so that it will have greater exposure to … Continue reading
This is the season of First Holy Masses. For example, on Saturday 30 June, I will be helping as Assistant Priest with the First Mass of a newly ordained priest to be celebrated in the presence of the bishop (coram … Continue reading
In the 30 May number of the Italian, daily, L’Osservatore Romano you find a piece by soon-to-be-Cardinal Luis Ladaria, Prefect of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, about the “Definitive Character of the Doctrine of ‘Ordinatio sacerdotalis‘.
Ordinatio sacerdotalis is John … Continue reading
A remarkable vocation story. Fr. James Mawdsley, FSSP.
For years I’ve written about how learning and celebrating the traditional form of Mass forms a priest. This priest touches on this transformative experience.
(He mentions that blogs played a role. I … Continue reading
The pastor of the parish where I came into the Church was downright disgusted with the Archdiocese’s approach to vocations and the priest shortage crisis that would follow. He used to compare the geniuses of the vocations office et al. … Continue reading
NEW BOOK: Heroism and Genius: How Catholic Priests Helped Build—and Can Help Rebuild—Western Civilization
I recently received a book by Fr. William J. Slattery which has been truly intrigued.
Heroism and Genius: How Catholic Priests Helped Build—and Can Help Rebuild—Western Civilization
US HERE – UK HERE
What’s this about? Our author says:
With stubborn facts historians have given … Continue reading
I had mentioned that I was re-reading Robert Hugh Benson’s prophetic Lord of the World. I finished it yesterday. US HERE – UK HERE
Just as I finished it, I found these things.
First, I want to preface with this: When you are on a journey towards a … Continue reading
I have come to dread interviews with Popes. I have from the beginning of the interviews decades ago. I generally read them anyway because, well, I have to, don’t I.
The recent book interview / conversation with Dominique Wolton released in … Continue reading
I sincerely believe that the Prayer for Vocations which I posted here, and which seems to be spreading across the lands, will bear great fruit.
Today I received a note from a priest in Sacramento with a link to a parish … Continue reading
This has gone immediately on my wishlists.
It seems to be slated for publication on 1 August.
Some of his books include an appendices of sermons. It will be great to have them in one volume.
Get copies as gifts for your priests … Continue reading
Do you have some good news to report? We could use some.
Here is some good news… well… it’s also bad news. I guess it depends on your perspective.
One Quarter of Ordinations in France Belong to the Tridentine Rite
In 2017 all … Continue reading
From a reader…
Our parish has received a terrific seminarian this summer. He comes from a great background and his older brother is a priest so he seems to have a strong support at home. My question is how can my … Continue reading
UPDATE 19 June:
Today I have received notes from readers saying that they have spotted this Prayer For Vocations in a couple other places as well. A comment in the combox, below, speaks of one of them. To wit:
[T]he Diocese of … Continue reading
From a reader…
I attended the sacerdotal ordination of 5 priests for my diocese last Saturday.
After the bishop imposed hands, other priests participating in the Mass also imposed hands on the candidates. Since priests lack the fullness of the priesthood, what … Continue reading