Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- RichR: 1 parish priest in our 2000 family parish. He hears confession s Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday. If you need an appointmen t, he has a prie dieu and screen in his office for “walk-ins” . He...
- BH: I’m in a similar sized parish as you described, Roy, but we have confession offered twice per day, 6 days per week. And I’ve seen our pastor requested to do confession at other...
- semperficatholic: This past week my Pastor had 14 hours of scheduled Confession s and then if you ask to go to Confession off schedule he hears your confession . He is the only priest in the...
- Roy Hobbs: I used to be a parishione r at the largest parish in the MSP diocese at the Basilica of St. Mary, located in Minneapoli s, Minnesota. Per its own website, it boasts of over 6,700 famil...
- Tara Tremuit: Wow, Deacon Nicholas McScrooger smugson! This choir has no control over when churches schedule their Liturgies. Clevelande rs know that when you want a good choir for your litur...
- Southern Catholic: They should be charged with crimes, the Church needs to stop allowing internal discipline . Also, who is paying back the money? This says the order(whic h is right), another...
- RKR: Timely for me too! thank you! I really appreciate these daily offerings. Listening via this site. (With MM coffee, Cowboy Blend)
- JonPatrick: Thanks Father. Patience is something that I lack and constantly need to ask God’ s help for so this was timely.
- DMorgan: Thank you Father.
- KateD: *Father Groeschel
- HvonBlumenthal: There are pockets of resistance in Germany. If any of your readers is in Berlin, call on the Institut St Phillip Neri, which has been offering the TLM with papal blessing since even...
- Deacon Nicholas: An impressive and beautiful stunt, but still a stunt. The Eucharisti c assembly is not for stunts. With which assembly of the people of God did they commune as the Body of Christ?
- Fr. Kelly: HvonBlumen thal Re: ius it seems to me undeniable that the later renderings of ius as “rig ht” have their origins in earlier uses of it as “law ”. It is that...
- Charivari Rob: …Eri c Idle and Robbie Coltrane being an entirely different category, of course.
- Charivari Rob: Argument Clinician, thank you. After Father Z’s remark, I went back to look for the article I had originally seen. I can’ t remember which site it was, but it had a photo...
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: Semper Gumby says: Tracer Bullet I looked for him today at the usual secret drop place (near the hot dog stand). He must have gone to pick up more heaters. Maybe Friday, same...
- Anita Moore, O.P.(lay): We had a prominent member of that religious order in my area who was a big-time advocate for women priests, and specifical ly, for the view that it was wrong for the Church...
- Anita Moore, O.P.(lay): I read somewhere that, on account of its structural integrity, butter lettuce makes a highly effective hamburger bun (for those of us who need to not eat (ordinary) bread).
- FrAnt: In another post, Fr. Z. notes a LifeSite interview with Cardinal Muller where the Cardinal notes that some are trying to make “hom osexuals 8221; a third species next to men and...
- LarryW2LJ: During the first week of our Advent Bible study, my ears perked up when it was mentioned that it was 21 centuries between the Call of Abraham and the birth of Jesus. and now it̵...
- scotus: This story made the front page of a British newspaper. I can’ t remember which one but it was a tabloid.
- Legisperitus: Apropos of that, this is pretty cool: https://ww w.lifesite news.com/n ews/archeo logists-so dom-and-go morrah-lit erally-des troyed-by- fire-and-b rimstone
- Semper Gumby: Back in the 1970s a Leftist nun spent most of her time writing and distributi ng unhinged screeds against men. When asked why she didn’ ;t leave the Church she replied: Because...
- monstrance: Oh, I guess we do have one brave Shepherd – But he went into hidingR 30;..
- monstrance: Joe, Whatever happened to the “Fraternal Correction ” ? Pray for just one brave Shepherd.
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- Priests and bishops who are probably going to Hell
- End of year 2018 charitable giving and YOU. A suggestion.
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 12: Patience
- Holy Face of Manoppello, Sankt Gallen, “designer babies”
- Card. Müller’s interview about Church and theology in Germany
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 11: Hark! a gladsome voice is thrilling
- TERRIFIC! School Choir accomplished, back to back, Solemn Roman and Eastern liturgy!
- NYC Day 1: Of Borscht and Buttons
- “If only women were in leadership positions…”
- Anglicans to mock baptism with transgender ceremony
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 10: If a liturgy looks silly, you can close your eyes. But if it sounds silly…
- A priest’s thought after going ‘ad orientem’
- Priests and Latin. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- My View For Awhile: ”Festina Lente” Edition
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 09: Proper Marian Devotion
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- Of getting Latin wrong, corrections, and of priests and their Latin or lack thereof
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 08: Egocentrics and God’s gifts
- A conflicted Fishwrap v. Francis on homosexuals in seminary and priesthood
- On this day in 2005 …
- Help a young entrepreneur!
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 07: “If she had not given her ‘Fiat!’…”
- 7 Dec – Titanic, intriguing St Ambrose of Milan, bishop and doctor
- UPDATE on injuries and recovery with heartfelt thanks
- Solemn Requiem for @BishopMorlino in @MadisonDiocese
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 06: Our Lord will appear in His humanity so that He can be seen by the just and the wicked
- VIDEO – Funeral of @BishopMorlino of @MadisonDiocese
- Latin Mass Society of England & Wales @latinmassuk – Re-upping!
- Recent Registration
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 05: The priest, John the Baptist, points toward Jesus
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Tag Archives: Priests
From a reader…
What’s the deal with priests carrying their emergency cellphone on them? [Hmmm… I don’t know what the deal is!] I was disturbed to learn that our priest doesn’t keep it with him. When I asked him about it … Continue reading
At Crisis there is posted an open letter from an anonymous young priest to bishops.
It is a cri de coeur.
Where Are the Bishops Who Will Defend Faithful Priests?
I read this letter today, so that it will have greater exposure to … Continue reading
Today is Thursday in the 5th Week of Lent, Passiontide. The Roman Station San Apollinare.
In gratitude especially to benefactors who help me and this blog, during Lent I’m once again offering 5 minute daily podcasts to encourage you in your … Continue reading
NEW BOOK: Heroism and Genius: How Catholic Priests Helped Build—and Can Help Rebuild—Western Civilization
I recently received a book by Fr. William J. Slattery which has been truly intrigued.
Heroism and Genius: How Catholic Priests Helped Build—and Can Help Rebuild—Western Civilization
US HERE – UK HERE
What’s this about? Our author says:
With stubborn facts historians have given … Continue reading
From an old prayerbook for priests which I’ve had since before my ordination. They are dense with old wisdom.
Here are two prayers, in Latin and English, for priests, for before and after they make confession their own confession.
I’ve added accent … Continue reading
This has gone immediately on my wishlists.
It seems to be slated for publication on 1 August.
Some of his books include an appendices of sermons. It will be great to have them in one volume.
Get copies as gifts for your priests … Continue reading
I posted this last year, to the day.
Any additional thoughts?
___ Originally Published on: May 3, 2016 ___
And yet, do other parishes and dioceses and religious groups change what they are doing?
Not much. It is if they really aren’t committed.
In life I … Continue reading
I have often written about how priests are never the same after having learned how to say the older, traditional form of Holy Mass in the Roman Rite. Many priests have related to me about how, once they learned, or … Continue reading
I am in Denver, preaching for a Forty Hours Devotion following, of course, the Clementine Instruction in the Extraordinary Form of the Roman Rite.
On Thursday we had a Sung Mass, after which I exposed the Blessed Sacrament, we had a … Continue reading
In June and into July, many newly ordained priests have reported to their first assignment as associate or assistant (as my old pastor used to say, “The first three letters are the same”). These days we hear often the … Continue reading
This applies to priests as well.
Why some bishops behave the way they do
June 14, 2016 (LifeSiteNews) – Why can’t 40 Days for Life in my home town get any support from our local bishop? Why does Florida Bishop Robert … Continue reading
From a reader…
One of our priests is moving on, and yesterday he gave his farewell at Mass.
Instead of a homily, he talked up St. Francis’ contributions to social justice, and about how our faith is represented in the many programs … Continue reading
From a reader…
Father, our parish priest is a good man, well versed in Scripture, in the encyclicals. He is also charismatic.
However, his preaching is dreadful. He uses the homily as an opportunity to teach and goes on far too long. … Continue reading
From a reader…
As you mentioned in one of your other posts, it’s the the season of ordinations. It’s also the season for priest transfers. Our pastor of 12 years is being transferred to a different parish in another city of … Continue reading