Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- LatinMan: The difference between Catholics and liberals is that the Catholic holds the Church door open and says to those outside “Welcome!” , while the liberal holds the Church door open and says...
- semperficatholic: Welcome to the Burger King gospel. You know their slogan, “Hav e it Your Way.” ;
- Imrahil: Dear TonyO, As a canonizati on meaning only that a person “is enjoying the Beatific Vision”: no, that’s not true. If that was me, then: that’ ;s not what I said. What I did say was...
- Adaquano: My parish is a good example (well we are made of two – one just outside a major city – the other just inside). We have a lot of young families – some with 6,7,8,9 kids....
- Thomas Stewart: It’s not that complicate d. When someone is examining a faith, and sees that even the leaders of that faith won’ t defend the details of that faith – “tha t...
- TonyO: I usually respect P. Kwasniewsk i’s articles a lot, but this one fell flat. And the article by Lamont at Rorate Coeli? It has a number of problems too. Sorry, guys, you need to go back...
- Mike: The OnePeterFi ve footnote repeats something right out of the Wikipedia entry for Paul VI. It is a subject Paul VI addressed very publicly at the time and asked for prayers in reference to....
- Rob in Maine: When the Holy Father was elected, I was asked by several people, mostly non church going relatives, what I thought of the new Pope. When I wouldnR 17;t reply enthusiast ically,...
- Anita Moore, O.P.(lay): The penitentia l rite is one of my favorite parts of the traditiona l Mass. It is one of the things I really like about low Mass. The penitentia l rite is one of my least...
- Dan: The devil stands in front of hell with a big sign that say “all are welcome here!” It is more loving to welcome someone to hell or bring them to safety?
- The Cobbler: Hang on. Patriarchy ? Does that include husbands and fathers — you know, the actual meaning of the term? Also, I will here note that the event is scheduled for 7 PM through 10...
- acardnal: robtbrown, I always appreciate your responses.
- Elizabeth D: I did not read all the other comments, this subject matter causes me too much anxiety and I should generally not discuss it here.
- Kenneth Wolfe: September 26 is a third class feast on the 1962 calendar, the feast of St. Isaac Jogues and Companions in the U.S., and Saints Cyprian and Justina universall y (commemora ted in the...
- Kathleen10: I doubt the Synod organizers think young people want or need the changes they inflict. They are following the plan they have had roiling around in their heads for quite some time now....
- un-ionized: Elizabeth, you’ re allowed to use your brain. I have been through a lot of trials about Mary even though she was the one who brought me into the Church and I certainly wouldn&...
- crjs1: luciavento I think it highly dependant on location. In Scotland where I am my experience is similar to yours in that the most liberal parishes have by far the largest congregati ons (on...
- mwa: There is a passage in JudithR 17;s Marriage (by Bryan Houghton) which lays out very nicely this 2way nature of tradition. It is spoken by an old man who has just come to believe the truth...
- The Masked Chicken: Dear Elizabeth D, I imagine that many young women would have the same quandaries you had in understand ing why Mary’s virginity is something special, given how society underst...
- Imrahil: Dear SpesUnica, I would agree to an edit of “suspended ” I didn’ ;t really claim more than that here, so: accepted. Please don’ t mind my observatio n that the “...
- Thorfinn: The FSSPX has 65 new seminarian s vs. 637 current priests. The FSSP has 39 new seminarian s vs. 287 current priests. The ICRSS has 22 new seminarian s vs. 114 current priests. (“...
- JohnE: Poor kid. The difficulty for him ever becoming a Supreme Court judge just skyrockete d.
- SpesUnica: “sus pended for the time being,R 21; is not, at this moment in history, really different from saying “for the foreseeabl e future. 221; That isn’ t something I am...
- luciavento: I still do not see personally the TLM out pacing attendance at liberal NO Masses. The two most highly attended Masses I attended recently were at churches where the tabernacle was not...
- Imrahil: Dear SpesUnica, it falls into the area of the claims of the SSPX that the church is in such a crisis that obedience to the Chair of Peter is abrogated. You could perhaps, if you wish to be...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- Fr. Longenecker: “ALL ARE WELCOME…TO WHAT EXACTLY?”
- #Synod2018 concerns in a couple of sharp sentences. Then Fr. Z rants.
- 15 Oct: St. Teresa, calendars and fascinating fountains! (A note to NAC seminarians and Rome denizens.)
- ASK FATHER: Celebrating Conciliar Saint Popes in the Traditional Roman Rite
- The future of the Church (hint – NOT #Synod2018)
- How the Left rolls
- #Synod2018 underway but there are no rules. Making it up as they go?
- ASK FATHER: Coalition in Support of “Ecclessia Dei” – What’s up?
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- Dodging Global Extinction Events
- VIDEO: Pro-abortion propaganda v. Catholics in NYC
- JUST TOO COOL: The ‘tricolours’ ensign of Le Généreux, captured by Nelson on display
- ASK FATHER: Pastor won’t allow TLM wedding in “his church”
- WDTPRS – 28th Ordinary Sunday: Fascinating Collect, seminar on grace!
- The unhinged Left now turns to satanism, witchcraft to fight Pres. Trump, Justice Kavanaugh
- SSPX Superior Fr. Pagliarani interview: “we have to have souls ready for all sorts of sacrifices”
- What to do with former-Card. McCarrick’s galero in the @WashArchdiocese Cathedral
- Something fun for Friday
- ASK FATHER: ” I feel that my Faith is just being torn apart”
- URGENT PRAYER REQUEST: Australia and removal of all abortion restrictions
- Francis accepted Card. Wuerl’s two year old resignation, wrote him a Letter
- ASK FATHER: Official Latin of Fatima Rosary Prayer
- NOTE TO READERS about email and contact
- Anniversary of John XXIII’s 1962 “Gaudet Mater Ecclesia” and how it has been misused #Synod2018 #VaticanII #podcast
- ASK FATHER: Is “Amoris laetitia” really translated “The Exuberance of Lust”?
- Certain sins bring infestation of demons: horrid #sodoclericalism “parties” close to the most important places in the Vatican
- VARIA: Concrete parish project of reparation (PDF); Fighting back in Chicago; Disasters, death and YOU!; a little Latin (AUDIO); some super Catholic trivia.
- Is watered-down faith of #Synod2018 “worth dying for when the man with the machete shows up at your door?”
- Divisions are growing
- 2nd Sunday of October: Votive Mass of the Good Thief in prisons, jails, etc.
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Tag Archives: Priests
At Crisis there is posted an open letter from an anonymous young priest to bishops.
It is a cri de coeur.
Where Are the Bishops Who Will Defend Faithful Priests?
I read this letter today, so that it will have greater exposure to … Continue reading
Today is Thursday in the 5th Week of Lent, Passiontide. The Roman Station San Apollinare.
In gratitude especially to benefactors who help me and this blog, during Lent I’m once again offering 5 minute daily podcasts to encourage you in your … Continue reading
NEW BOOK: Heroism and Genius: How Catholic Priests Helped Build—and Can Help Rebuild—Western Civilization
I recently received a book by Fr. William J. Slattery which has been truly intrigued.
Heroism and Genius: How Catholic Priests Helped Build—and Can Help Rebuild—Western Civilization
US HERE – UK HERE
What’s this about? Our author says:
With stubborn facts historians have given … Continue reading
From an old prayerbook for priests which I’ve had since before my ordination. They are dense with old wisdom.
Here are two prayers, in Latin and English, for priests, for before and after they make confession their own confession.
I’ve added accent … Continue reading
This has gone immediately on my wishlists.
It seems to be slated for publication on 1 August.
Some of his books include an appendices of sermons. It will be great to have them in one volume.
Get copies as gifts for your priests … Continue reading
I posted this last year, to the day.
Any additional thoughts?
___ Originally Published on: May 3, 2016 ___
And yet, do other parishes and dioceses and religious groups change what they are doing?
Not much. It is if they really aren’t committed.
In life I … Continue reading
I have often written about how priests are never the same after having learned how to say the older, traditional form of Holy Mass in the Roman Rite. Many priests have related to me about how, once they learned, or … Continue reading
I am in Denver, preaching for a Forty Hours Devotion following, of course, the Clementine Instruction in the Extraordinary Form of the Roman Rite.
On Thursday we had a Sung Mass, after which I exposed the Blessed Sacrament, we had a … Continue reading
In June and into July, many newly ordained priests have reported to their first assignment as associate or assistant (as my old pastor used to say, “The first three letters are the same”). These days we hear often the … Continue reading
This applies to priests as well.
Why some bishops behave the way they do
June 14, 2016 (LifeSiteNews) – Why can’t 40 Days for Life in my home town get any support from our local bishop? Why does Florida Bishop Robert … Continue reading
From a reader…
One of our priests is moving on, and yesterday he gave his farewell at Mass.
Instead of a homily, he talked up St. Francis’ contributions to social justice, and about how our faith is represented in the many programs … Continue reading
From a reader…
Father, our parish priest is a good man, well versed in Scripture, in the encyclicals. He is also charismatic.
However, his preaching is dreadful. He uses the homily as an opportunity to teach and goes on far too long. … Continue reading
From a reader…
As you mentioned in one of your other posts, it’s the the season of ordinations. It’s also the season for priest transfers. Our pastor of 12 years is being transferred to a different parish in another city of … Continue reading
Today I watched the video of the Pope who made his own confession before hearing the confessions of others. HERE
That juxtaposition brought forcefully into my mind both the prayers I usually say before and after making my own confession, and … Continue reading