Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- e.e.: St. Michael the archangel, defend us. …If Card. Wuerl has now backed out of attending, perhaps we can continue to pray that certain other attendees might withdraw and the vestme...
- bartlep: I’m still waiting to see a letter written by my bishop, Bp. McElroy. Since he totally ignored a letter written to him by A.W. Snipe on the state of priestly celibacy, he may be...
- Benedict Joseph: Like I said the other day about something else… ;stuck on stupid. The rich tradition of centuries of liturgical vestments and they come up with this crap. And that is what is....
- maternalView: Whatever it means the vestments are ugly. Why can’ t we have the beautiful? Why don’ t “the y” want us to have the it? I want the good, the true and the...
- Wendy Babiak: No, Satan̵ 7;s not hiding his tail… ;he’ s wearing assless chaps! This is all quite gross. I confess that in my heart of hearts sometimes I thank God that we were...
- PostCatholic: I thought as I began to read this article that the objection was going to be to a pre-Christ ian symbol being used for a Christian purpose. I’ve never seen a BDSM flag a-wav...
- maternalView: @mulieribu s Yes, Catholic weddings have become so very complicate d. And it used to be I could easily determine if I could go based on the venue̵ 1; not in a Catholic church then...
- joekstl: I would suggest that you seek out the letter of Bishop Frank Caggiano of Albany ( a son of Brooklyn, NY- my home Diocese). It is excellent and closes with s prayer to the great Mother of...
- Gab: It still looks like “666 ” to me.
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: More: Hi Father, Thank you for this very brave post. You are quite right about this. One point that adds to what you say is made by this FSSP priest in his sermon (31 mins):...
- Fallibilissimo: I don’ t know about you guys but after the roller-coa ster of emotions of the past few weeks, I feel like a fresh yet ancient wind is blowing on our shores. Yes, I have no...
- Joy65: What the HECK is going on IS that satan is laughing his head off. he doesn̵ 7;t even have to work hard because we are just letting him walk right in and take over. WHO IN THEIR “...
- Charlotte Allen: I can’ t stand those insipid pastels myselfR 11;but actually, the triple spiral, called the “tri skele̶ 1; or “tri skelion 221;– ;is a pagan...
- Chuck Ludd: While I agree that the vestments are hideous, when I first saw the symbol I assumed it was trinitaria n — but a bad modern symbol of the Trinity. The article posted above sugge...
- Suburbanbanshee: The triskelion , triple spiral, etc. are tied together at the center, and often at the rim of the circle also. This creates a feeling of stability. It is also very satisfying to...
- Kathleen10: I agree, it definitely resembles that diabolical flag. I also agree, the devil cannot hide his horns. We saw that at Joseph Sciambra 8217;s site, with the Quest conference highlig...
- LeeGilbert: From the Irish Examiner article Charles Flynn links above, “The papal vestment has a triple Celtic spiral that is associated with Irish ancient manuscript s while some 70 bisho...
- JustaSinner: What the Hell is going on? No, more to the point, who is going TO hell!!!
- Crabbetrywe: BDSM and pastels? …I don’ t think those things are related. The US Department of Transporta tion uses this motif too, and so did the 27th SS Volunteer Division. Coincid...
- magister63: It could be a take on that BDSM logo. My first thought, pardon my frankness, was three sperm cells swirling, in diverse colors, to symbolize who know what! If it symbolizes three males...
- acardnal: Love, love, love. This is what we hear from the libs. God does NOT love sin! It is the worst evil. God is full of mercy – conditiona l mercy – but he is also a just God. I...
- maternalView: Thanks for this. I don’ t know about these sorts of things so it’s helpful to be told what I should be asking. I will write a letter requesting this. And pray it will be...
- r7blue1pink: I dont even know what to say except.. NOTHING is a coincidenc e… Whether or NOT the parties designing it knew what it was- if they actually did it out of neitivity. . Its defin...
- majuscule: In a previous blogpost Father also asked about “what’s going on?” http://wdt prs.com/bl og/2018/08 /super-cre epy-poster -for-gay-c onference- reveals-ag enda/ It’s the same thing. Why...
- sperisho: Or, rather, emanate from a single center (which this one doesn̵ 7;t do).
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- URGENT: HIDEOUS about SYMBOL on pastel vestments for World Meeting of Families in Dublin @WMOF2018
- Letter of @BishopMorlino of @MadisonDiocese concerning the present crisis
- WDTPRS – 20th Ordinary Sunday: invisible love, pulsing with longing
- Terrific movement of prayer for priests: Seven Sisters Apostolate
- Archbp. Cordileone’s Letter to the people of @ArchdioceseSF Fr. Z kudos and a mini-rant.
- Wherein Fr. Z offers one of the hardest posts he has ever written – UPDATED WITH YOUR COMMENTS
- PROPOSAL to all the Bishops of these USA for your November 2018 Meeting
- Card. Burke interviewed by Raymond Arroyo. The Cardinal’s advice.
- Insightful observation about Pope Francis – UPDATES!
- ASK FATHER: Lethal force against homosexual aggression in seminary?
- Search within the text for the word “reparation”. Zero.
- ASK FATHER: Can I go to a wedding at an SSPX chapel?
- Yeahhh… this is exactly the right time to dress our clergy in pastels.
- The Rite of Degradation From The Order of Priesthood. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- Fr Z calls for solidarity
- The PA Grand Jury Report
- AN OPEN APPEAL TO THE CARDINALS OF THE CATHOLIC CHURCH
- ASK FATHER: Your questions weigh heavily
- YOUR URGENT PRAYER REQUESTS
- ASK FATHER: “I now have doubt about sorting the doctrinal from the papal opinion.” Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- ASK FATHER: Faithful, active women religious. Where to go?
- St. Maximilian Kolbe, priest, martyr, ham radio operator, intercede for dissident ‘c’atholic media!
- Fr. Z’s Kitchen: Beans in a bottle, and Beans in a bubble.
- A Tale of Two Churches
- Your Good News – Mass for Benefactors
- Non-Catholics and Catholics alike wonder about changes to CCC 2276 on death penalty
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – UPDATE: Photos of seminarians Solemn Mass
- PODCAzT 165: Liturgical battles lost and won… and lost; don Camillo (Part X)
- Super creepy poster for “gay” conference reveals agenda
- Controversy over the Holy Father’s substitution of CCC 2267 continues.
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Tag Archives: Priests
At Crisis there is posted an open letter from an anonymous young priest to bishops.
It is a cri de coeur.
Where Are the Bishops Who Will Defend Faithful Priests?
I read this letter today, so that it will have greater exposure to … Continue reading
Today is Thursday in the 5th Week of Lent, Passiontide. The Roman Station San Apollinare.
In gratitude especially to benefactors who help me and this blog, during Lent I’m once again offering 5 minute daily podcasts to encourage you in your … Continue reading
NEW BOOK: Heroism and Genius: How Catholic Priests Helped Build—and Can Help Rebuild—Western Civilization
I recently received a book by Fr. William J. Slattery which has been truly intrigued.
Heroism and Genius: How Catholic Priests Helped Build—and Can Help Rebuild—Western Civilization
US HERE – UK HERE
What’s this about? Our author says:
With stubborn facts historians have given … Continue reading
From an old prayerbook for priests which I’ve had since before my ordination. They are dense with old wisdom.
Here are two prayers, in Latin and English, for priests, for before and after they make confession their own confession.
I’ve added accent … Continue reading
This has gone immediately on my wishlists.
It seems to be slated for publication on 1 August.
Some of his books include an appendices of sermons. It will be great to have them in one volume.
Get copies as gifts for your priests … Continue reading
I posted this last year, to the day.
Any additional thoughts?
___ Originally Published on: May 3, 2016 ___
And yet, do other parishes and dioceses and religious groups change what they are doing?
Not much. It is if they really aren’t committed.
In life I … Continue reading
I have often written about how priests are never the same after having learned how to say the older, traditional form of Holy Mass in the Roman Rite. Many priests have related to me about how, once they learned, or … Continue reading
I am in Denver, preaching for a Forty Hours Devotion following, of course, the Clementine Instruction in the Extraordinary Form of the Roman Rite.
On Thursday we had a Sung Mass, after which I exposed the Blessed Sacrament, we had a … Continue reading
In June and into July, many newly ordained priests have reported to their first assignment as associate or assistant (as my old pastor used to say, “The first three letters are the same”). These days we hear often the … Continue reading
This applies to priests as well.
Why some bishops behave the way they do
June 14, 2016 (LifeSiteNews) – Why can’t 40 Days for Life in my home town get any support from our local bishop? Why does Florida Bishop Robert … Continue reading
From a reader…
One of our priests is moving on, and yesterday he gave his farewell at Mass.
Instead of a homily, he talked up St. Francis’ contributions to social justice, and about how our faith is represented in the many programs … Continue reading
From a reader…
Father, our parish priest is a good man, well versed in Scripture, in the encyclicals. He is also charismatic.
However, his preaching is dreadful. He uses the homily as an opportunity to teach and goes on far too long. … Continue reading
From a reader…
As you mentioned in one of your other posts, it’s the the season of ordinations. It’s also the season for priest transfers. Our pastor of 12 years is being transferred to a different parish in another city of … Continue reading
Today I watched the video of the Pope who made his own confession before hearing the confessions of others. HERE
That juxtaposition brought forcefully into my mind both the prayers I usually say before and after making my own confession, and … Continue reading