Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Benedict Joseph: There is not the slightest doubt in my mind that your assessment is absolutely correct. The soft science of psychology and the admonition to obedience in the face of hetero...
- teomatteo: No. I am not going to believe that a bishop would use the medical profession in a way to purposely compromise another personR 17;s integrity. That is just too diabolical to believe. I...
- Sawyer: Yeah, I’ve heard about Gregory. Lots of people have. No secret there.
- Anita Moore, O.P.(lay): The liberals have weaponized obedience, while exempting themselves from its strictures .
- Christine: What if there was a group of lawyers and psychologi sts that formed something similar to the Home School Legal Defense Associatio n but specifical ly for traditiona l priests that are...
- rdowhower: I don’ t think it’s inexplicab le that Gregory would invite him. It’s quite obvious. Perhaps Fr. Z was winking when he wrote that line.
- teachermom24: How would one (ç est moi) who happens to be in Rome at this time find you? I just ordered my ticket for the Friday meeting.
- MrsMacD: For the S family to pay down their debt. For Fr. C who seems to be having a personal crisis of some kind. For the J family, who’ s baby is still in intensive care and in a coma after...
- aviva meriam: Deo Gratias for prayers answered. I pray daily for priests in particular for the two priests crucial for their guidance and assistance in my reversion. (Fr. JS and Fr. PI) Please pray...
- SPWang: “Sen d your diocesan donations to the TMSM. Money and bad press are about the only things some of these people understand .” This is not a silly idea. The formation, or use of a...
- Michael: Please pray mightily for RR whose body has severe chemical and food allergies and sensitivit ies to the point where only 5-6 foods can be eaten and tolerated and which has caused a weight...
- Kathleen10: I’m a middle-age d woman and my income is absolutely key. I’ve had to work hard all my adult life and there never has been enough money, I’m always behind and strugg...
- Ivan: “ 230;incrim inated by “jus tice” ;, for having posted this “vio lent” ; photo ([about ISIS] even if already seen and published) , now the Prosecutor ̵...
- frjimt: beautiful& #8230; so many wonderful & inspiring saints.. reminds me of bl margaret of castello 8230; today is also the feast of st cleopas of emmaus.. a wonderful patron for travel...
- Letholdus: On par with Church of Scientolog y intimidati on tactics 230;
- fr.ignatius: This is a really important topic Fr. You are right, this is huge and the thing is, as has been mentioned in the comments, they are applying the same method to seminarian s. I saw it...
- Nicholas: As someone who is discerning the priesthood , how can I know where is safe? I want to serve the Church, but I don’t know where I actually can.
- Unwilling: As a status rei data point: I am utterly devastated reading the actions analyzed by Fr Z. Overwhelme d. Bouleversé . Lachrimand us.
- eymard: Question: If Fr. Kalchik 217;s faculties are removed by Cupich, can Fr. Kalchik be invited into another diocese with restoratio n of faculties? Could Bishop Morlino bring him in? What is...
- Marion Ancilla Mariae II: What would happen if conservati ve and traditiona l priests who are targeted by their bishops in this way, instead hired attorneys and arranged to have their own psych...
- Sol: Eoin OBolguidhi r: Some sound advice there, thanks! As a university professor, I can attest to the importance of what you are talking about: cover all your bases, because bureaucrat s and...
- Ultrarunner: If US bishops are behaving like communist revolution aries towards priests, it’s because American priests took an oath of obedience to them and surrendere d their rights under...
- tho: The Catholic laity has no way of telling which bishop or diocese is mistreatin g their traditiona list, or it’s priests in general. We need a strong, well respected layman, who would...
- Eoin OBolguidhir: SCOTUS said: “May be there needs to be a similar organisati on for priests who prefer to say the Novus Ordo Mass.̶ 1; I wonder if something organized along the lines of...
- Nathan: This strikes me as something that good Catholic journalist s might want to pursue. I’m wondering what a little sunlight on the use of psychiatri c referral as a tool for persecutin g...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- YOUR URGENT PRAYER REQUESTS
- 25 September: Bl. Herman “the Cripple”
- In Atlanta protests about @JamesMartinSJ upcoming talk – #sodoclericalism
- Read and weep: Soviet style “psych” tactics used against priests by bishops.
- When they claim “Clericalism!”, they really mean #sodoclericalism
- My View For Awhile: Humidity Edition
- ASK FATHER: Is a Communion plate or paten a “sacred vessel”?
- OCTOBER – ROME – Annual #SumPont2018 Pilgrimage
- Thanks to Augustus on his birthday and to the Cohors Italicus
- If government leaders in China can now choose bishops, then in these USA…
- Francis trades quips with Polish photographer in Vilnius
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- Archbp. Chaput of @ArchPhilly on upcoming Synod’s working document. Concerns.
- UPDATE – @ArchChicago parish burns a “rainbow flag”
- THIS IS WAR! Wherein Fr. Z calls on bishops and priests to FIGHT BACK as priests and bishops!
- Akita, Communion in the hand, and homosexuality
- Card. Zen on the “Provisional Agreement” with the PRC on Bishops
- WDTPRS – 25th Ordinary Sunday: Each love fuels the other, when love of God is first.
- VIDEO: Fr. Murray on aspects of The Present Crisis
- ASK FATHER: Adding water to Holy Water
- ASK FATHER: If in letters Benedict XVI imparts still the Apostolic Blessing…
- A story of spectacular complexity, involving shady people, huge money, interlocking directorates, vast loans, and the Papal Foundation.
- One Mad Mom spanks James Martin, LGBTSJ – UPDATED
- Bishop R. Walker Nickless of Sioux City on #ViganoTestimony
- And now a word from our sponsor…
- BOOKS RECEIVED: Vatican I: The Council and the Making of the Ultramontane Church
- The upcoming Synod’s “working document”
- ASK FATHER: Should we pray for or against the success of the Synod?
- What passes for important today.
- YOU are other people. It’s always someone else… until it’s YOU.
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Tag Archives: reconciliation
As I was rooting around for something I posted in the past, I found this which, by coincidence, I posted 3 years ago to the day.
Here are the prayers I usually say before and after hearing confessions.
They are taken from a … Continue reading
At The Catholic Thing there is a piece by Regis Martin about the Sacrament of Penance.
When was the last time you went to confession? When was the last time you made that good and complete confession of all mortal sins in … Continue reading
GO TO CONFESSION!
What a victory for the demons of Hell it has been to run down the Sacrament of Penance until it is barely thought of in some parishes.
Fathers, if you are parish priests and have the obligation to hear … Continue reading
Under another entry here a commentator asked:
Can absolution be granted where no purpose of amendment exists? If granted, with no purpose of amendment, does it even ‘take’?
No. And No.
In normal circumstances, when there isn’t danger or some other odd condition, … Continue reading
I have occasionally exhorted you to …
GO TO CONFESSION!
I shall continue to do so. I take seriously my duty to try to keep as many of you out of Hell as I can and get as many as possible into … Continue reading
From a reader…
In our parish, when our Associate Pastor is hearing Confessions, he comes from behind the screen, opens the door and “greets” each person, in view of all waiting in line, then is very insistent upon hearing Confession face-to-face. … Continue reading
From a reader…
Our Dean plans to hold ‘The Rite of Reconciliation of several
penitents with General Confession and Absolution‘ as part of the Jubilee Year of Mercy. In a note inserted in our parish newsletter, [Good… it’s in print.] he writes: ‘Pope Francis … Continue reading
From a reader…
My family and I are converting to the church from Protestantism. We are a family of six and we have been turned away from confession at multiple churches because the half hour before Vigil and Sunday Mass wasn’t enough time for … Continue reading
From a reader…
Is it grave matter to laugh or joke when in need of Confession? (That is, when one has committed mortal sin and intends to go to Confession at the next opportunity.)
Aristotle points out that man is the only … Continue reading
Card. Schönborn: “sacraments” in Infamous Footnote 351 means mainly the Sacrament of Penance (Reconciliation)
The other day Pope Francis told journalists during the airplane presser on his return to Rome from Lesbos that, to understand the controversial bit in Amoris laetitia Infamous Footnote 351, we should have recourse to Card. Schönborn’s address at the presentation of the Post-Synodal Exhortation … Continue reading
From a reader…
I would like to know why many parishes do not offer the Sacrament of Penance on Holy Saturday? There’s only 1 parish in my area that hears confessions on Holy Saturday and I often wonder is there a … Continue reading
From the great Bp. Philip Egan of the Diocese of Portsmouth (England) comes this!
Go to Confession regularly, bishop urges diocese
The Bishop of Portsmouth has appealed to his diocese to attend Confession regularly in a pastoral letter, which will be read … Continue reading
It seems that Robert Micken’s Lutheran conversion is complete.
You recall that Mickens was fired by The Tablet because of his horrid online denigration of Benedict XVI. HERE
Recently, Archbp. Rino Fisichella announced a couple initiatives for the Year of Mercy to boost confessions and to … Continue reading
From a reader… who recently went to confession!
Everyone… GO TO CONFESSION!
I just went. Yay! After confessing my sins I had a question about a friend who fell away from church. It took 2 minutes, 3 tops. I don’t usually get into asking for … Continue reading
I received a couple notes about where the word “reconciliation” comes from. Odd.
Anyway, rather than write it all out here is a page from a dictionary of Latin etymology, Ernout Meillet.
It derives from ancient words for “call”.
Look that voice (entry) … Continue reading