HAM RADIO W9FRZ STATUS
Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
I had to change the way that people go to amazon to buy things because... you know... why make it easy?. So, just click the link below. Once you're in, you're good to shop.
Try AmazonFresh Free Trial
Shop Amazon Gold Box - New Deals. Everyday
Shop Amazon Gift Cards - Instant Delivery or Free One-Day Shipping
Try Prime Discounted Monthly Offering
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
Fr. Z’s Blog is a Founding Member of…
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Anita Moore, O.P.(lay): I have one of these crucifixes . It was one of the last gifts my grandmothe r gave me before her death when I was six. She selected it because it most resembled her own,...
- SanSan: I have our familyR 21;sick call” ; crucifix hanging in our kitchen with palms from palm Sunday behind it. So happy it wasn’ ;t lost or discarded.
- Liz: https://ww w.youtube. com/watch? v=FRw-N1z0 bwM&fe ature=yout u.be&f bclid=IwAR 1PzRw3e_pA m8BZV5o6C9 pwqDkVS0jm ogbDatlHSr bW4ibvbjCh APfS-iY
- Liz: Supertradm om, we will add you to our rosaries and I will offer my mass and Holy Communion for you today, for the grace of a happy death. St. Joseph, pray for us!
- Tina in Ashburn: I never liked grits until I discovered that I had only had BAD grits. Never eat them cold or not freshly made. Grits made correctly are very very close to polenta. Gritty, not...
- Tina in Ashburn: SuperTradM um, teary-eyed to hear your news, fellow commenter. Golly. Prayers and offering up of my sufferings for you. Trust in Jesus no matter what the temptation s are.
- Semper Gumby: This is interestin g, it’s Day 3 of the Great Grit Debate and two hardy readers have pitched their Grit Tent in the Sick-Call Sets post. I gotta admit, ArthurH 217;s first...
- Rob in Maine: We had one around when I? was growing up. When my brother went to college (Stonehill in Massachuse tts) he used to it hide his money.
- Makemeaspark: Praying.
- tho: I know that I harp on this subject, maybe a little too much, but Extreme Unction has a distinct resonance, that Anointing of The Sick doesn̵ 7;t have. After all, everyone has bouts of...
- TonyO: Praying.
- TonyO: Of course there is nothing wrong with preaching on charity to our neighbors – it’s the subject of the Second Great Commandmen t, after all. And the foundation of satisfying the...
- Pearl: A sick call set is our standard wedding gift – whether the couple is married in the Church or not. Usually, the one we give is a little fancier. We have my in-lawR 17;s sick call...
- ArthurH: Never tries sweet grits: Sounds tsaty-deca dent! When I have them, grits with an egg-over-e asy or two on top is my more common version for breakfast, with, of course, some bacon, and...
- HvonBlumenthal: The board game is clearly something to do with the Imperial postal system which was operated by the Thurn und Taxis family. We have yellow postboxes thanks to them, and the flag of...
- hwriggles4: Speaking of southern breakfast cooking (grits are a staple at Waffle House), it wasn’ ;t until about 2004 I noticed on an east coast trip that Creamed Chipped Beef on Toast for...
- Legisperitus: The way to do grits is cheese grits. The grits provide texture, the cheese flavor.
- Suudy: You are still doing grits wrong! A little brown sugar, and let the sugar and molasses melt, then some milk over the top. Heavenly breakfast fare. I reserve the cheese and grits or butter on...
- Mariana2: I had been wondering if we would ever hear from dear Supertradm um again. Very sorry to read this, but daily chaplets of the Divine Mercy coming up from today.
- ArthurH: We have “Ano inting of the sick” ; every first Tuesday at both morning and evening Masses. As an extreme outlier survivor of a bone marrow cancer, I am well past my expec...
- Semper Gumby: Benedictus : Thank you for the CWR article on the Living Martyr of Albania. You raise a good point about “syr upy sermons, 8221; though no doubt you are aware of the richn...
- Bryan D. Boyle: I offer the remaining 8 days of the novena I’m celebratin g to Good St Anne for your intention, Supertradm om.
- Kent Wendler: I ask for this sacrament before I have any medical procedure which requires general anesthesia . My understand ing is that the benefit is not time dependent, that it is not necess...
- oldCatholigirl: Praying for Supertradm um and her son.
- philothea.distracted: Oh, I remember Supertradm um! I will pray!
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- ASK FATHER: Traditional “Supplied rites” after emergency or modern rite baptism
- Sick-Call Sets and You
- Day 2 – St. Paul Center Priesthood Conference
- 17 July 1794: “Mother, permission to die?”
- URGENT ACTION ITEM: Note from long-time reader who is dying
- 16 July 1969 – #Apollo11 and Our Lady of Mt Carmel
- Day 1 – St. Paul Center Priesthood Conference
- Mark Shea is sad because seminarians are Catholic
- Amazon Prime Day Discounts
- My View For Awhile: To the East and to priests
- Good VIDEO for people who aren’t familiar with the TLM or with our traditions
- ASK FATHER: Sex before Communion
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – GO TO CONFESSION! – VIDEO
- 13 July: St. Ezra (Esdras), Old Testament Prophet and some spectacular baroque musical weirdness
- SSPX video of their amazing new US church project.
- BOOK: In Praise of the Tridentine Mass and of Latin, Language of the Church
- WDTPRS – 15th Ordinary Sunday: Too far right or too far left, we wind up in the ditch in the dark
- “Damn!”, quoth I. “That’s the spirit.” Coasties getting the job done.
- How credible is “credible” in allegations against priests?
- Tour Talk – #TDF2019 @Le_Tour Stage 6
- What the ‘c’atholic Left is up to on Twitter
- ASK FATHER: Should Catholic parents attend wedding of daughter outside the Church?
- ASK FATHER: “Funeral Liturgy Outside Mass”
- @Church_Militant on the public lynching of Fr. Eduard Perrone
- Really old frozen permafrost critters revived. What could possibly go wrong?
- Tour Talk – 2019 Tour de France
- The Church Militant and You
- William F. Buckley and Fulton Sheen on Firing Line! 1970
- BOOK: The Anti-Mary Exposed: Rescuing the Culture from Toxic Femininity
- ACTION ITEM! Help a traditional deacon get to priesthood. Watch marvelous Fulton Sheen video of 1950 Roman Holy Year
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
Tag Archives: reconciliation
Card. Piacenza to priests: “Wanna be a modern priest? HEAR CONFESSIONS!” Whereupon Fr. Z really rants.
There is a good piece at La Bussola Quotidiana (in Italian) about the Sacrament of Penance. I’ll give you a sample, but I don’t have the energy to translate the whole thing. Prelude: Apparently there was recently something called “Earth … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: Father, In John 20:22-24, it says “And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and said to them, ‘Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven; if you … Continue reading
As I was rooting around for something I posted in the past, I found this which, by coincidence, I posted 3 years ago to the day. Here are the prayers I usually say before and after hearing confessions. They are taken … Continue reading
At The Catholic Thing there is a piece by Regis Martin about the Sacrament of Penance. When was the last time you went to confession? When was the last time you made that good and complete confession of all mortal sins … Continue reading
GO TO CONFESSION! What a victory for the demons of Hell it has been to run down the Sacrament of Penance until it is barely thought of in some parishes. Fathers, if you are parish priests and have the obligation … Continue reading
Under another entry here a commentator asked: Can absolution be granted where no purpose of amendment exists? If granted, with no purpose of amendment, does it even ‘take’? No. And No. In normal circumstances, when there isn’t danger or some … Continue reading
I have occasionally exhorted you to … GO TO CONFESSION! I shall continue to do so. I take seriously my duty to try to keep as many of you out of Hell as I can and get as many as … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: In our parish, when our Associate Pastor is hearing Confessions, he comes from behind the screen, opens the door and “greets” each person, in view of all waiting in line, then is very insistent upon hearing … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: Our Dean plans to hold ‘The Rite of Reconciliation of several penitents with General Confession and Absolution‘ as part of the Jubilee Year of Mercy. In a note inserted in our parish newsletter, [Good… it’s in print.] … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: My family and I are converting to the church from Protestantism. We are a family of six and we have been turned away from confession at multiple churches because the half hour before Vigil and Sunday Mass wasn’t … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: Is it grave matter to laugh or joke when in need of Confession? (That is, when one has committed mortal sin and intends to go to Confession at the next opportunity.) Aristotle points out that man … Continue reading
Card. Schönborn: “sacraments” in Infamous Footnote 351 means mainly the Sacrament of Penance (Reconciliation)
The other day Pope Francis told journalists during the airplane presser on his return to Rome from Lesbos that, to understand the controversial bit in Amoris laetitia Infamous Footnote 351, we should have recourse to Card. Schönborn’s address at the presentation of the Post-Synodal Exhortation … Continue reading
From a reader… I would like to know why many parishes do not offer the Sacrament of Penance on Holy Saturday? There’s only 1 parish in my area that hears confessions on Holy Saturday and I often wonder is there … Continue reading
From the great Bp. Philip Egan of the Diocese of Portsmouth (England) comes this! Go to Confession regularly, bishop urges diocese The Bishop of Portsmouth has appealed to his diocese to attend Confession regularly in a pastoral letter, which will … Continue reading
It seems that Robert Micken’s Lutheran conversion is complete. HERE You recall that Mickens was fired by The Tablet because of his horrid online denigration of Benedict XVI. HERE Recently, Archbp. Rino Fisichella announced a couple initiatives for the Year of Mercy to boost … Continue reading