Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Semper Gumby: A veneer of new technology fails to conceal the same old barbarism. Deo Gratias, Alison Krauss was not a “cho ice,” ; and there is a better way. https://yo utube.c...
- Charles E Flynn: The monstrosit y would be better if it were bisected by a short net, so it could be used for table tennis.
- Fr. Reader: If you have one minute, do this experiment . Go to a search engine, fo to the area for searching images, and type “bea utiful churches 8221; or “bea utiful church altar&...
- Fr. Reader: Just finished re-reading Introducti on to Christiani ty. It has some very inspiring passages. I was there in St Peter̵ 7;s square at the moment of his election. I ran like a mad man...
- Fr. Reader: @Robert_Ca ritas “The more I read of Balthasar, the more I start to think he has laid the tracks for future theology 8221;. I have not read much from or about him, but from what...
- GM Thobe: “He was smarter than the Lot of them. ” That alone sounds like enough to turn them salty.
- iPadre: And you can see a beautiful High Altar in the background that these weirdos despise.
- jaykay: UncleBlobb : “Usq uequo, Domine? 221; Indeed. Also: “Quo usque tandem abutere, (originall y Catalina, but insert name of choice) patientia nostra? Quam diu etiam furor iste...
- teomatteo: They hated Pope Benedict because he: 1) Didnt accept their false understand ing of their disorder and 2) He was smarter than the Lot of them.
- aroc981: Hey, at least it’s not rainbow colored?
- rbbadger: I’m surprised they don’ t have three candles at one end of the altar and a pot of flowers on the other. I saw that numerous times in Italy.
- Barnacle: I had to sign in and say ‘Ugh .’ Revolting. Please Our Lady may your Triumph come soon. I fully expect that at that wonderful event this ‘mon strous carbuncle& #8217;...
- MrsMacD: Did anyone notice what looks like the head of the pieta at the front at the bottom? @MrsJackso n it certainly has that sense. “We& #8217;ve put all your lovely statues in a tomb....
- ChesterFrank: He is a contempora ry artist, not a liturgical artist. Its not the first time this mistake was made.
- UncleBlobb: Usquequo, Domine?
- gretta: That is just… ;ugly. Presumeabl y there is some sort of message to be had there, but I don’ t get it. Any of it. Ugh.
- Anita Moore, O.P.(lay): Whatever happened to the Italian spirit of rebellion against stupid stuff? Isn’t this in the same country where they moved the plaque commemorat ing the first Mass in...
- FrAnt: This altar reminds me of the Paul VI section of modern sacred art in the Vatican Museum. You know the section everyone passes through on their way to the Sistine Chapel, but no one stops. No...
- haydn seeker: You have got to be kidding me. Look at the body language of everyone in the photo, they all hate it. It is demonic.
- Prayerful: I hope all these terrible Cramner tables are dismantled , and maybe put in a Museum of Stupid Ideas.
- mibethda: An antependiu m might solve the problem.
- JARay: This is an utter insult.
- NBW: Very disturbing . I agree with Gab, it looks very Aztec/paga n. Is this symbolic of all the souls they are dragging to Hell? I noticed all the heads were perfect males̷ 0;hmmmm 230;..
- JustaSinner: The bishops should have quit while they were ahead!
- Dismas: I must say that this is certainly, if less ugly than the WMoF Nazgul Bottle Opener, the least intelligib le sculpture that I have seen all year. While the perverse delusions of the former...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- HEADS WILL ROLL! A new “You won’t believe your eyes ugly” altar
- Why homosexualists hate Papa Ratzinger so much.
- My View For Awhile: Delayed Edition & Fr. Z’s Kitchen
- Solipsistic, self-aggrandizing @FatherRosica dares to vet Catholic news sources
- ASK FATHER: “I am doubting that the current Catholic Church is the Church it has always claimed to be”
- Strange Signs, the End Times and YOU
- A reader’s first impressions on attending the Extraordinary Form
- Horrifying Big Business Abortion Ad
- US Bishop begin 2018 November meeting: PRAY & FAST!
- Another really bad idea: Communion Pills
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – UPDATED
- Another group of women destroyed by the Vatican Congregation for Religious
- 100th Armistice Day, Veterans Day, Remembrance Day ACTION ITEM!
- @JamesMartinSJ shovels scandalous rubbish to justify sin
- WDTPRS – 32nd Ordinary Sunday: Our Identity and Extreme Ownership
- GERMANY: Catastrophic! USA next? @USCCB bishops meeting and YOU. ACTION ITEM!
- To US Bishops before their @USCCB meeting: Do not be afraid!
- Happy 243rd Birthday USMC!
- ASK FATHER: Some say Advent is not a penitential season.
- FEEDBACK: “I went to confession for the first time in nine years tonight.”
- Blog milestone: 90 Million
- ASK FATHER: If I am in the state of mortal sin, is there any point in praying?
- SCOTUS Justice RBG falls, breaks ribs, hospitalized
- “I had the image of a bishop sinking head downward…. sinking… sinking… clawing at the heavy miter on his head”
- MUST READ: The Papalatrous catholic Left and “Horizonal Schism”
- UPDATED: Holy See repression of a certain kind of bishop with a certain kind of message
- ASK FATHER: “Properly blessed” devotional objects
- Fr. Z muses: repression of Catholic speech and what we can do about it.
- Did an alien vessel just pass by? The mystery of Oumuamua.
- My While For Awhile: Election Day Edition
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Tag Archives: reconciliation
As I was rooting around for something I posted in the past, I found this which, by coincidence, I posted 3 years ago to the day.
Here are the prayers I usually say before and after hearing confessions.
They are taken from a … Continue reading
At The Catholic Thing there is a piece by Regis Martin about the Sacrament of Penance.
When was the last time you went to confession? When was the last time you made that good and complete confession of all mortal sins in … Continue reading
GO TO CONFESSION!
What a victory for the demons of Hell it has been to run down the Sacrament of Penance until it is barely thought of in some parishes.
Fathers, if you are parish priests and have the obligation to hear … Continue reading
Under another entry here a commentator asked:
Can absolution be granted where no purpose of amendment exists? If granted, with no purpose of amendment, does it even ‘take’?
No. And No.
In normal circumstances, when there isn’t danger or some other odd condition, … Continue reading
I have occasionally exhorted you to …
GO TO CONFESSION!
I shall continue to do so. I take seriously my duty to try to keep as many of you out of Hell as I can and get as many as possible into … Continue reading
From a reader…
In our parish, when our Associate Pastor is hearing Confessions, he comes from behind the screen, opens the door and “greets” each person, in view of all waiting in line, then is very insistent upon hearing Confession face-to-face. … Continue reading
From a reader…
Our Dean plans to hold ‘The Rite of Reconciliation of several
penitents with General Confession and Absolution‘ as part of the Jubilee Year of Mercy. In a note inserted in our parish newsletter, [Good… it’s in print.] he writes: ‘Pope Francis … Continue reading
From a reader…
My family and I are converting to the church from Protestantism. We are a family of six and we have been turned away from confession at multiple churches because the half hour before Vigil and Sunday Mass wasn’t enough time for … Continue reading
From a reader…
Is it grave matter to laugh or joke when in need of Confession? (That is, when one has committed mortal sin and intends to go to Confession at the next opportunity.)
Aristotle points out that man is the only … Continue reading
Card. Schönborn: “sacraments” in Infamous Footnote 351 means mainly the Sacrament of Penance (Reconciliation)
The other day Pope Francis told journalists during the airplane presser on his return to Rome from Lesbos that, to understand the controversial bit in Amoris laetitia Infamous Footnote 351, we should have recourse to Card. Schönborn’s address at the presentation of the Post-Synodal Exhortation … Continue reading
From a reader…
I would like to know why many parishes do not offer the Sacrament of Penance on Holy Saturday? There’s only 1 parish in my area that hears confessions on Holy Saturday and I often wonder is there a … Continue reading
From the great Bp. Philip Egan of the Diocese of Portsmouth (England) comes this!
Go to Confession regularly, bishop urges diocese
The Bishop of Portsmouth has appealed to his diocese to attend Confession regularly in a pastoral letter, which will be read … Continue reading
It seems that Robert Micken’s Lutheran conversion is complete.
You recall that Mickens was fired by The Tablet because of his horrid online denigration of Benedict XVI. HERE
Recently, Archbp. Rino Fisichella announced a couple initiatives for the Year of Mercy to boost confessions and to … Continue reading
From a reader… who recently went to confession!
Everyone… GO TO CONFESSION!
I just went. Yay! After confessing my sins I had a question about a friend who fell away from church. It took 2 minutes, 3 tops. I don’t usually get into asking for … Continue reading
I received a couple notes about where the word “reconciliation” comes from. Odd.
Anyway, rather than write it all out here is a page from a dictionary of Latin etymology, Ernout Meillet.
It derives from ancient words for “call”.
Look that voice (entry) … Continue reading