Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!Enter Amazon through my link, the image below (they took away our search box!), and I will get a small percentage of what you spend. (Pssst - Can't see it? Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
Here's a generic "catholic" search start point for Amazon:
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Suburbanbanshee: The SAT test of today is a lot easier than the old ones, although poorly asked questions do introduce a degree of difficulty . But any SAT should be easy it you read a lot, know...
- bookworm: The discussion of print vs electronic books is of particular interest to me. A couple of years ago my husband and I discovered self-publi shing and we started a mini business (Monroe St....
- TonyO: The whole idea of a mass with upwards of 40,000 (in some cases, upwards of 200,000) people is problemati c in the extreme. At a certain point the distance, and the intervenin g space /...
- majuscule: Why not stress a spiritual communion at the mega Masses? How many people even know what spiritual communion is? It would be a good educationa l opportunit y!
- tamranthor: My son was always drawn to the statues of the three children and the lambs that stand in the courtyard at the (now horrible) Church in Waunakee. He absolutely loved them when he was a...
- David L Alexander: “At one point you would think that someone, looking out at the much smaller than anticipate d crowd, would have said, ‘Gee . Maybe we should remove some of these...
- Akita: Thank you for these beautiful, multifacet ed, edifying little Lenten “gift packets”. Love the history. Loved learning about St Sebastian, St Monica. Makes it easy to envision their human...
- Kathleen10: Thank you so much to one and all for these great recommenda tions. I have jotted them all down. I work with children, and the other day we read together Old Mother Hubbard. None of the...
- Mary Jane: I wanted to give some words of encouragem ent for HeatherPA. :) I’m a homeschool graduate (I’m in my early 30s now). After graduating , I went on to earn a Bachelor of...
- Mary Jane: Uh yeah no. If the logistics of the location/s eating/etc are such that communion can’ t distribute d with reverence, I say no.
- frjim4321: The “sac ristanR 21; for a neighborin g “par ish picnic mass” ; was found to have several hundred consecrate d host in her freezer that she was going to save for the...
- frjimt: Brings tears to my eyes.. There is hope! Our Lady of Pillar pray for us!
- Titus: Just say no to the distributi on of Holy Communion to the congregati on at such events. I will say, to the credit of those involved, that when I was at the Pope’ ;s Easter morning Mass...
- JonathanTX: I second the question by APX above: why volunteer that it would be an EF Mass? Does the host church need to know that for a practical or logistical reason? As a layman, I̵...
- Nathan: Since the Novus Ordo is changeable , why wouldnR 17;t a provision in the GIRM allowing Papal Masses to be celebrated without the distributi on of Holy Communion be feasible? Wasn...
- robtbrown: FrJim4321, I don’ t pretend to know each personR 17;s malady. I do, however, know what the celebrants said, and it went so far as to include almost everyone, even to the point...
- David: Hopelessly low rent, many would say, but I would indeed recommend the Hardy Boys series, but only the originals, not the re-written PC ones. I learned from them a very long time ago what it...
- David: Another sad fact is that these people are not, I think, theologica lly sophistica ted enough to have an intellectu al position that could explain their behavior. All they are going on is...
- David: I am reminded of another Cardinal Ottaviani story (I have many). He once attended a Eucharisti c Congress where giant crowds received Communion. His comment: “I can’ t believe...
- LarryW2LJ: As Inigo Montoya would say: “Par adigm shift? You keep using those words. I do not think they mean what you think they mean.̶ 1;
- Semper Gumby: Great article by Fr. Longenecke r, a methodical and solid correction of Fr. Martin. God willing, Fr. Martin will accept at least some of the correction . Thought I’d mention...
- richiedel: I would like to tell Cdl. Cupich the following: The world teaches families to do what feels good and to be accepting of family members who do things you may not agree with, then, when...
- adriennep: HeatherPA, I feel your pain, as I’m also a rural Catholic desirous of a classical education. But rejoice, there are options now. Not only can you get a great classical education online...
- JabbaPapa: The Catholicit y is not a “par adigm̶ 1; — I also think that those who are over-using this word in recent times are mis-using it from a lack of understand ing of what it...
- Fr. Lovell: I was ordained a priest just six weeks prior to the release of “Summorum Pontificum .” I mention this because from the very beginning I have experience d the joy of the EF as well as...
CLICK and say your daily offering!
- LENTCAzT 2018 08 – Wednesday in the 1st Week of Lent: Never ending combat
- 20 Feb – Feast of Sts Francisco and Jacinta of Fatima
- Of “paradigm shift” interest
- Spain: young people dancing a jota in reparation for blasphemy against the Blessed Virgin
- Mega-Masses and too many Hosts
- The State v. Self-Reliance
- LENTCAzT 2018 07 – Tuesday in the 1st Week of Lent: subtle temptation
- Attacks on the family
- My View For Awhile: Capital Edition
- Books for boys. Suggested titles and an additional point.
- LENTCAzT 2018 06 – Monday in the 1st Week of Lent: “I warned you!”
- Wherein Fr Longenecker schools @JamesMartinSJ
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- WDTPRS 1st Sunday of Lent (N.O.): The Lenten “Sacrament”
- LENTCAzT 2018 05 – 1st Sunday of Lent: Anger and Reason
- Commandments are NOT mere “ideals” from which some are excused because, “They’re tooo haaard!” Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- JUST TOO COOL – Cops, ashes, and podcasts
- VIDEO Fr. Murray and Prof. Royal on some tough issues
- LENTCAzT 2018 04 – Ash Saturday: Getting ready for… it.
- Pontifical Requiem Mass for a great lover of the Church’s sacred liturgy
- LENTCAzT 2018 03 – Ash Friday: Grant me a little more time
- Role of #MSM in mass shootings: If it bleeds, it leads. Angry @fatherz asks fearful questions
- Wherein Fr. Z rants in the wake of the Florida school mass murder
- Friday after Ash Wednesday: Feast of the Crown of Thorns
- LENTCAzT 2018 02 – Ash Thursday: What you are I was, what I am you shall be.
- Your #AshWednesday Sermon Notes #ashtag – AUDIO Fr Z
- Ash Wednesday, Fasting, Abstaining, and You – with notes on alligator, endothermic moonfish, and muskrat
- LENTCAzT 2018 01: Ash Wednesday – Unto dust thou shalt return.
- Fun with @OneMadMomBlog – BuzzFeed – Alt-Right and @SebGorka
- LENTCAzT 2018 00: Shrove Tuesday – Get out your armor, pilgrim’s shoes and cloaks
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
A book by an old friend…
Tag Archives: religious liberty
The excellent Becket Fund for Religious Liberty has a great timeline on their site about the HHS mandate, along with a detailed list of plaintiffs against the Obama Administration.
HHS Mandate Timeline:
August, 2011, Federal government issues a regulation requiring that all group … Continue reading
Have you read Dinesh D’Souza’s The Roots of Obama’s Rage? (UK HERE and KINDLE)
There is a film based on the book coming, 2016, a projection of America after four more years of an Obama presidency.
He is finally being vetted by … Continue reading
From Catholic World News:
Cardinal: ‘binding doctrinal content’ not major part of breach between Holy See, SSPX
The Second Vatican Council’s declarations on non-Christian religions and religious freedom do not contain “binding doctrinal content,” Cardinal Walter Brandmüller said at a press conference … Continue reading
I’ve been watching the coverage of several news outlets about the Catholic lawsuits filed against the Obama Administration. The coverage demonstrates that a lot of people misunderstand what is going on.
For example, we must NOT argue for the freedom of … Continue reading
Catholic organizations file religious liberty lawsuits against the federal government in a dozen jurisdictions
For a full list you can go here.
As you know, The First Gay President, Pres. Obama, has been undermining our 1st Amendment rights. He has been attacking the Catholic Church, directly and through his minions such as the deplorable Kathleen … Continue reading
Nancy Pelosi’s insists that military chaplains be forced to perform homosexual “marriages”. Chaplains protest.
As a follow up to Nancy Pelosi’s recent stupidity, this is form CNS:
Chaplain’s Group Says Pelosi’s Wrong About Need to Protect Conscience Rights of Chaplains
By Pete Winn
(CNSNews.com) – A group representing more than 2,500 Evangelical Christian military chaplains says House … Continue reading
Do you remember Archbp. Charles Chaput’s great talk in Texas about then candidate John F. Kennedy’s infamous speech in which he sold out his Catholic identity for the sake of life in the public square? Do you remember that then-candidate … Continue reading
A Catholic casualty in Pres. Obama’s war on the First Amendment: Franciscan University in Steubenville
Pres. Obama – whom Newsweek calls “The First Gay President” – and his administration are actively undermining not only our societal mores, but also our First Amendment rights.
His administration’s HHS mandate is an attack on religious liberty, for it would … Continue reading
When I saw this video my first thought was, “What is this? Tolkien?”
Perhaps it is.
The Silmarillion and The Lord of the Rings present a seemingly hopeless struggle against evil. The protagonists were constantly challenged to overcome their limitations, make sacrificial … Continue reading
The Cardinal Newman Society has this about Georgetown University’s invitation of HHS Sec. Kathleen Sebelius, supporter of Tiller the late-term abortionist, the President’s pointman in the attack on the Church’s and on freedom of religion, the architect of forcing Catholic … Continue reading
Catholics need to learn better how to use the new media, new tools of social communication, and social networking.
(On that score, I renew my appeal that you please use early and often the sharing buttons on these entries. Thanks!)
I saw … Continue reading
Please use the sharing buttons! Thanks!
They have effectively said to the US Bishops: “Screw you!”
From the CNS:
Kathleen Sebelius to Speak at Georgetown Commencement Ceremony
In what can only be interpreted as a direct challenge to America’s Catholic bishops, Georgetown University has … Continue reading
This is Kathleen Sebelius, Pres. Obama’s surrogate at HHS, questioned on religious liberty.
I picked this up from Life News:
Sebelius Admits She’s Unaware of Top Religious Liberty Cases
by Jeanne Monahan
This morning in a hearing before the U.S. House of Representatives Education … Continue reading
Today is National Talk Like Shakespeare Day!
In honor of this day, I urge you to speak in iambic pentameter and use words like “fleer”, “prithee”, and “guerdon”.
In honor of this banner day, anniversary most auspicious, I have in the past … Continue reading
Perhaps this could be run as an ad from now until the election in November?
From the website of the USCCB:
April 12, 2012
Urge strong lay involvement
Outline threats to First Freedom at all levels of government and abroad
Call upon dioceses to pursue religious liberty fortnight, June 21-July 4 [Mark your calendars. Get things going.]
WASHINGTON—The U.S. bishops … Continue reading
In an interview, Raymond Card. Burke has offered his view on Pres. Obama’s attack on religious liberty, his erosion of the 1st Amendment, his duplicitous, anti-Catholic… okay.. you get it.
From Life News with my emphases:
Thomas McKenna: “It is beautiful to see … Continue reading
In light of the current circumstances we face as Catholics, as people of all faiths, and as American citizens, this is excerpted from the Good Friday intercession prayers in the Ordinary Form:
IX. For those in public office
Let us pray also … Continue reading
Be sure to review and file away for reference this piece from the Catholic League:
OBAMA ENLISTS ACLU TO WAR ON CATHOLICS
April 4, 2012
On April 3, Catholic News Service published a story on an internal memo from the bishops on ObamaCare. … Continue reading