Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Joy65: quo vado praying for you and for your results. God Bless you for answering God’ s call.
- bobbird: The obvious rejoinder is the quotation of Christ: “I AM the way, the Truth and the life.̶ 1; Ergo, if someone made an “ido l” of Truth, he would be worshiping the One...
- LarryW2LJ: I’m a simple man – stuff like this makes my brain hurt. Can’ t he just come out and say what he means without turning everything into a jigsaw puzzle that we have to...
- mabvet: The rise of exorcisms was brought up by a caller to the Rush Limbaugh show today! Mark Steyn was spot on in his commentary .
- Malta: My friend Charles Coulombe wrote a book, “His tory of the Popes,R 21; it will be interestin g what Catholic historians think of Francis 100 years from now.
- Ave Maria: Mercy divorced from truth is not mercy at all. An interestin g article at https://ww w.catholic americanth inker.com/ Nice-Inclu sive-Catho lics.html this is about how being̶ 1;nic...
- Chaswjd: Perhaps the Holy Father was thinking of his Chesterton : ” “Every heresy is a truth taught out of proportion .” (Chesterto n in the Daily News, June 26, 1909.)
- Tom Kaye: If anyone would like to have a clearer picture of what Pope Paul VI thought about the Novus Ordo Mass read: “Pau l VI, Epistle Cum te to Archbishop Marcel Lefebvre, 11 October 1976:...
- quo vado: Completed requiremen ts for my seminary applicatio n last week. I hope to get a response early next month. Ora pro nobis!
- Mike: The idols we should fear are the ideologies that would wrest power from God, Who is Truth, and cede it to the autonomous Self or the authoritar ian pagan State. We must pray that the See of...
- defenderofTruth: A good friend of mine opined that it is possible that by “mov ing left” ;, His Holiness is forcing the Church to move right. By making statements such as this, he is...
- yatzer: Husband 217;s knee surgery is finally scheduled.
- Titus: You were at the Getty last week! I was at the Getty last week. I didn’ ;t see you, although it is a big place and I was only there part of one afternoon. I did see some Carmelites from...
- Quanah: I don’ t like the way Pope Francis phrased it, but I identify with what I think he is meaning. When I had my conversion of heart, I was enamored by the faith. A few months later I...
- Charivari Rob: Tumultuous , eventful, and sometimes not good – but still good things happening in the midst of it. – reconnecti ng with old friends when we haven̵ 7;t seen each...
- Kathleen10: He has made himself perfectly clear. That’ ;s the problem. The other problem is we have not wanted to take his words at face value and we should.
- Toan: I’d interpret Pope Francis 217; comments in light of his recent encyclical ’s comments on gnosticism . He is drawing upon a temptation that knowledgea ble, traditiona l Catho...
- JohnE: I am not sure what Pope Francis is doing. Hopefully in the long run it will be helpful, but I think what the Church and the world needs right now is clear, faithful teaching.
- jst5000: I think that we must be careful not to fall into the temptation of making idols of certain abstract mercies. They can be comfortabl e idols, always within easy reach; they require no...
- teomatteo: “ 230; healing closeness of the word and of the sacraments of Jesus.R 21; If the pope said this might he consider this ‘tru th’ and might he then ‘...
- Unwilling: Post-Enlig htenment thought is fundamenta lly skeptical. First of this or that truth, gradually of anything as truth. The vocable “tru th” has at most a relative value. A...
- L.: This kind of self-immol ating “tea ching̶ 1; that comes from Rome and from my own diocese makes me think of science fiction stories in which a Dr. Frankenste in-type character creates...
- arga: I am confused. Fr. Z writes “Geo rge, as the tale goes, was one of those soldier saints who, when he refused to recant his Christian Faith, was put to death perhaps in AD 303 during the...
- JonPatrick: My oldest son recently received word that his rare form of cancer is in remission and he might be able to stop taking the medication s for it. He is also finishing out an internship in...
- JonPatrick: Meanwhile in England it is now considered racist by some to fly the flag of St. George. As the country lurches towards total atheism and cultural Marxism let us ask St. George to...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- Know the truth and the truth will make you … an idolator?
- Your Good News
- “the worthy deeds and prayers of thy blessed martyr George”
- WDTPRS 3rd Sunday after Easter (TLM): Be distinguished by your profession of Christ!
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- Felix Natalis Dies Roma!
- My View For Awhile: Mezzogiorno Edition
- 20 April 2007 – Msgr. Richard Schuler – RIP
- 19 April 2005: Benedict XVI elected
- “And Paul VI wept”. More fascinating notes about the Pope and the liturgical reform.
- Wherein Fr. Z rants about the Church as “field hospital”. Brutal horror, heroic wonder.
- WDTPRS: 4th Sunday of Easter (2002MR) – Mighty humble Shepherd, humble mighty flock
- HUGE Fr. Z kudos to a reader who wrote to bishops about the important Apostolic Pardon
- My View For A While: Mystery City
- Connection of home-schooling and entering seminary
- ASK FATHER: “My 4 year old insists on praying in Latin.” Latin resources for young children?
- A bishop, black vestments and refreshing commonsense!
- ASK FATHER: Priest Mumbles Words of Absolution. Fr. Z says: FATHERS! Stop being JACKASSES and do it right!
- Shamefaced self-promotion with warm thanks to benefactors
- “If it’s just a symbol, then to hell with it!” Wherein a Lutheran tells it as it is and then Fr. Z rants a lot.
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – Good Shepherd – AUDIO
- ASK FATHER: Communion twice in a day. But is Communion under both species already twice?
- ASK FATHER: Catholic betrothal rite, ceremony
- WDTPRS – 2nd Sunday after Easter (TLM): joy, devastation and rising
- BOOKS RECEIVED: Two VERY different DAUGHTERS!
- I’ve decided. I’m for arming teachers and the Rule of Law
- Fr. Murray and Prof. Royal opine on latest developments
- 28 April – PONTIFICAL TLM at Shrine of the Immaculate Conception
- St. Michael the Extremely Cool Samurai Archangel, defend us in battle!
- “O my God, make them like a wheel; * and as stubble before the wind.” Consolation from a Psalm.
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
I travel a good deal. As I get older, it takes more of a toll. My main airline - sigh - is Delta. Were I to get some Gift Cards for Delta, I could more easily upgrade for longer flights. I'm just sayin'. I'd be much obliged. HERE
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
A book by an old friend…
Tag Archives: Rituale Romanum
From a reader:
When you discover you have an occult or new age object in your house, do you burn it or do you douse it with Holy Water and throw it away? I know you are busy, but a response … Continue reading
From a reader:
I’m planning on hatching chickens in the next couple of weeks. I’m using shipped eggs which have a higher mortality rate from being through the mail system. (but I simply can’t get what I want locally) Is there … Continue reading
The nice people at Nova et Vetera sent me an edition of their reprint of the Rituale Romanum.
Their site says:
This is the first edition of the Rituale Romanum since 1957. It is based upon the last Editio typica of 1952, … Continue reading
From a reader:
We are planning our daughter’s baptism next month and would appreciate your guidance regarding an issue that has arisen.
Our parish does group baptisms twice a month outside of Mass. While our pastor was willing to do an EF … Continue reading
ACTION ITEM! Please use the sharing buttons!
My thoughts and prayers today are with so many of you in the way of the hurricane.
May God and His Holy Angels protect you.
PRIESTS AND BISHOPS!
Use the old Roman Ritual and pray the Litany … Continue reading
Wherein Fr. Z blissfully causes work for a harried parish priest. Another seasonal blessing: for Assumption.
I noted on the distinguished blog of the mighty Dean of Bexley, the Parish Priest of Blackfen, His Hermeneuticalness, Fr. Tim Finigan that my post about blessing grapes on the Feast of the Transfiguration stuck pay dirt.
Thanks to Fr … Continue reading
From a reader:
Can the Churching ritual be performed directly after the baptism, or should it be done on a different day? I ask this for clarity, as this will be the priest’s first time performing a baptism in the EF … Continue reading
I recently received a couple instructional DVDs produced by the canons at St. John Cantius in Chicago and I have had a chance to look at “Sacred Rites and Ceremonies of the Roman Rite, featuring the use of the 1962 … Continue reading
Remember that you can bless Epiphany Water, and chalk, and gold, frankincense and myrrh, and houses….
Lot’s of cool Catholic stuff can be done on Epiphany!