Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!Enter Amazon through my link, the image below (they took away our search box!), and I will get a small percentage of what you spend. (Pssst - Can't see it? Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
Here's a generic "catholic" search start point for Amazon:
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Ave Crux: Bishop Serratelli , of the Paterson Diocese in NJ, also asks each year that all the parishes in the diocese schedule Confession s on Monday of each week during Lent in addition to their...
- Gus Barbarigo: Today (Feb. 21st) is the feast of another very timely saint, Peter Damian: https://ww w.lifesite news.com/n ews/interv iew-how-st .-peter-da mian-confr onted-the- plague-of- homose...
- tho: The real harm of watering down the teachings of the church, is to the average pew sitter, who wants to obey the undiluted teaching of our Lord. What these half witted liberal prelates are...
- JesusFreak84: I wouldnR 17;t even send my kids (if I had any :( ) to a Catholic school that required government certificat ion of teachers. If I wanted my kids to be taught by government -appr...
- adriennep: Don’t forget that EWTN’s Michael Warsaw was appointed to the Vatican’s Secretaria t for Communicat ions/Media as a consultor& #8230;at the same time last April as Fr. James Martin, and...
- tamranthor: So, if my “liv ed experience ” (as if there were any other form of experience ) tells me that the Magisteriu m of the Church is correct, and we should all strive to conform...
- Emilio: I was a lay MC at the National Shrine for several years. I have known both the current and previous rectors, and I can assure anyone that they are RUTHLESS climbers, with little to no...
- Benedict Joseph: Mother Angelica gave EWTN to the laity in order that they would be out of the reach of nefarious clerics. She did right. God willing the men and women entrusted with her legacy...
- David: Even when you do your best you need also to do some basic catechesis though. I was not in a pharisaica l huff, but rather sort of sad to observe that when the pastor of my territoria l...
- jaykay: And yet, the “liv ed experience ” of those faithful Catholics who, in good conscience , decide that they can be fruitful and have many children is dissed. “Lik e rabbits...
- David: I applaud EWTN for their willingnes s to prove people wrong who used to dismiss them as wimpy neo-cons. Michael Matt said something funny on one of his clips, that you know things must...
- David: Cardinal MüllerR 17;s remarks are, I think, the boldest thing he has said yet about the vagaries of the current papacy. We can’ t know who the electors will end up being at the next...
- jaykay: In the words of the Foundress herself: “I’l l blow the damn thing up before you get your hands on it.” Or: “Mol on labe” ; How little things change in 20 years. Or 2000.
- AA Cunningham: My “dec ision of conscience ” tells me that there will be no sin or secular crime committed if I steal the 2018 Easter and Christmas collection s from Chicago 217;s...
- scotus: The late Fr Thomas Dubay published the first edition of his book, “Authentic ity – A Biblical Theology of Discernmen t” in 1977. (There was another version published in 1997.) Thus he wrote...
- ChrisP: Its funny how a member of the IMF tweets about Arroyo and Spadero backs it up, all around the same time that a direct link to PF and potential dodgy use of Papal Foundation funds emerges...
- Kent Wendler: If I should ever personally meet His Eminence, Cdl. Cupich, I would like to invite him to pastorally accompany me on a discernmen t of the meaning of the parallel verses of Matthew...
- Semper Gumby: cpt-tom: I agree. Fallibilis simo: Perhaps, instead of “ 230;contra dicting the very spirit Pope Francis called for” , these people such as Fr. Spadaro and Annett are...
- gaudete: From USCCB (http://ww w.usccb.or g/about/di vine-worsh ip/policie s/minor-ba silica.cfm ) “Nor ms concerning minor basilicas were establishe d after the Second Vatican Council in the...
- LarryW2LJ: “The ir decisions of conscience represent God’s personal guidance for the particular ities of their lives. In other words, the voice of conscience – the voice of God.” ; I may...
- LarryW2LJ: Seems to me that Fr. Spadaro is choosing to forget or ignore that Scripture passage about throwing stones.
- Antonin: As early as 1816, the constituti on, for example, in the state of Indiana to provide, by law, “for a general and uniform system of Common Schools, wherein tuition shall be without...
- GregB: Isn’ t conscience a form of private revelation ? If so, isn’ t it subordinat e to the public revelation and the perennial Magisteriu m of the Church?
- ChiaraDiAssisi: @ Anita Mopre, O.P… I laughed out loud. Thank you. Yes, that “twe et” so appropriat ely named at the moment, screams of panic. How unattracti ve. Seriously bizzaro...
- rtjl: What’ ;s that voice saying? Yes, What’ ;s it saying? Oh, yes. That’ ;s it. “You will not die; for God knows that when you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will...
CLICK and say your daily offering!
- Fr. Murray on “lived experience”, “accompaniment”, “conscience”
- More news from the New catholic Red Guard
- Making the Church appealing. What “sells”?
- LENTCAzT 2018 08 – Wednesday in the 1st Week of Lent: Never ending combat
- 20 Feb – Feast of Sts Francisco and Jacinta of Fatima
- Of “paradigm shift” interest
- Spain: young people dancing a jota in reparation for blasphemy against the Blessed Virgin
- Mega-Masses and too many Hosts
- The State v. Self-Reliance
- LENTCAzT 2018 07 – Tuesday in the 1st Week of Lent: subtle temptation
- Attacks on the family
- My View For Awhile: Capital Edition
- Books for boys. Suggested titles and an additional point.
- LENTCAzT 2018 06 – Monday in the 1st Week of Lent: “I warned you!”
- Wherein Fr Longenecker schools @JamesMartinSJ
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- WDTPRS 1st Sunday of Lent (N.O.): The Lenten “Sacrament”
- LENTCAzT 2018 05 – 1st Sunday of Lent: Anger and Reason
- Commandments are NOT mere “ideals” from which some are excused because, “They’re tooo haaard!” Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- JUST TOO COOL – Cops, ashes, and podcasts
- VIDEO Fr. Murray and Prof. Royal on some tough issues
- LENTCAzT 2018 04 – Ash Saturday: Getting ready for… it.
- Pontifical Requiem Mass for a great lover of the Church’s sacred liturgy
- LENTCAzT 2018 03 – Ash Friday: Grant me a little more time
- Role of #MSM in mass shootings: If it bleeds, it leads. Angry @fatherz asks fearful questions
- Wherein Fr. Z rants in the wake of the Florida school mass murder
- Friday after Ash Wednesday: Feast of the Crown of Thorns
- LENTCAzT 2018 02 – Ash Thursday: What you are I was, what I am you shall be.
- Your #AshWednesday Sermon Notes #ashtag – AUDIO Fr Z
- Ash Wednesday, Fasting, Abstaining, and You – with notes on alligator, endothermic moonfish, and muskrat
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
A book by an old friend…
Tag Archives: Robert Royal
The other day my friend Fr. Gerald Murray and Prof. Robert Royal were on The World Over offering some analysis of present issues.
I think you will find it useful. They get into it near the 5:00 mark.
You all know that I tend to bang on about Latin in our sacred liturgical worship.
Most of us belong to the Roman Catholic, Latin Church. The Latin Church.
Never using or hearing our language of prayer and teaching affects (defects) our … Continue reading
Must view video. Fr. Gerald Murray and Prof. Robert Royal comment on what’s going on.
In the wake of the Letter to Argentinian Bishop being placed in the AAS and of Il Papa Dittatore… just watch.
This morning I awoke to a veritable banquet of rich and useful reading.
First, I direct your attention to a post at The Catholic Thing by Robert Royal, who never disappoints. (He also writes about Dante. YAY! US HERE – UK HERE)
He begins with … Continue reading
You must rush to read the whole of Robert Royal’s latest column. HERE
I preface it with a reminder that I posted a tongue in check call to arms that wasn’t really tongue in cheek at all. HERE
Here’s the pattern that … Continue reading
The well-deserved fallout continues for the vicious anti-American attack piece penned at Inciviltà cattolica by Jesuit Fr Antonio “2+2=5” Spadaro, who is also so interested in the life and works of Pier Vittorio Tondelli that he created his own website about him (HERE).
Today I read at The Catholic … Continue reading
My good friend Fr. Murray was on EWTN the other day along with Prof. Robert Royal.
They react to Card. Sarah, Bp. Morlino, Thomas Reese, SJ, James Martin, SJ, Card. Schoenborn, etc.
Speaking of JESUITS… HERE
Today at The Catholic Thing Robert Royal has a short and suggestive piece about sex and deception. Dante – Il Poeta – gives him a lift.
Royal recounts teaching Dante’s Inferno, the first part of the Divine Comedy, to students.
One of the more famous … Continue reading
Robert Royal on ‘Amoris Laetitia’: Beautiful, Moving, and Divisive… Chaos and conflict, not Catholicity
I begin with a call for prayer. Please pray, then read.
Hail, Holy Queen, Mother of Mercy, our life, our sweetness and our hope! To thee do we cry, poor banished children of Eve. To thee do we send up our … Continue reading
I admit to having Synod Fatigue™ already. I am so sick of it already, that even now I force myself to write this.
I hereby commit myself to use my irritation and concern to my advantage. I will force myself to pay attention … Continue reading
I had intended to write today about the translation error in the English version of the recent Synod’s final document. However, over at The Catholic Thing, Robert Royal covers the issue well and says many of the same things I had … Continue reading
Have you been following the reports of Robert Royal about the Synod of Bishops?
Synod Day 8 – A Bizarre Document and Process Print
I have been in Rome, by my rough count, 100 times during my adult life. Some visits … Continue reading
From The Catholic Thing:
Quo Vadis – O, Bishops?
By Robert Royal
I am not a big fan of taking the long view. It may sometimes be wise, even necessary, in human terms. But I’m far more attracted by what is probably the … Continue reading