Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Sportsfan: It’s sad for me to think that he would probably do a better job than the Vatican has done.
- Charles E Flynn: https://ww w.change.o rg/p/cardi nal-cupich -must-resi gn
- Fr. John: I have been wondering how long it would take for someone to make this connection .
- Kathleen10: Fr. Z., thank you for reminding us of these now ignored realities. Most Catholics would not hear of such things except here.
- Kathleen10: A student at Providence College (where the amazing Anthony Esolen taught until he was harassed into leaving) had a similar issue not long ago. The student simply defended marriage as...
- Marion Ancilla Mariae II: My post of early this morning (2:20 AM) was false and unjust, for I painted our situation with too broad a brush. It’s not true that in the Church in the U.S. there...
- Joy65: We had a Priest from Cross Catholic Outreach come and speak to us about helping the poor.
- aviva meriam: Allow me to make a few assumption s: 1. That the reporting at CM was accurate and the threats were heard by witnesses 2. Reporting at CM was accurate and priest was ordered into psych...
- allenr74: What can a lay person do when staying in a hotel room? Just sprinkle holy water around the room? Is there a prayer we can say too? Prayer to St. Michael, perhaps?
- scotus: Well, I lost track of the number of times the priest used the word sin or a variation of it (sins, sinfulness ). Must have been at least six times if not more. He was preaching on the...
- Imrahil: Our priest gave an excellent sermon on the term “the richness of grace̶ 1; from the Epistle (18th S. p. P, TLM, 1 Corinthian s): what does grace mean? Some might say that we...
- arcillajohn: I too have been having nightmares , of a demonic nature too.
- WmHesch: Is any permission at all needed for exorcisms of places (infestati on)? CIC 1172 seems specifical ly limited to energumens
- hwriggles4: I am wondering if there is an Anglican Ordinariat e parish within the Archdioces e of Chicago. Why? One priest at my parish is a Pastoral Provision priest (i.e. former Episcopali an)...
- scotus: I particular ly liked this contributi on from the theologian : “Thi s naturalism is also evidenced in the document 8217;s preoccupat ion with the following considerat ions: global...
- Dismas: @KateD – Laws in Chicago do not apply to those opposed to sodomy. @maternalV iew – Cardinal Cupich isn’ t going down that rabbit hole.
- Fr. Reader: @Marion AM. I am talking more about formal authority than moral authority, but that is a very good point.
- Marion Ancilla Mariae II: On a sidenote: Fr. Reader characteri zed the undergroun d Church in China thus: “In many cases, together with strong piety there is no authority at all, no doctri...
- excalibur: Cardinal: Pope is ‘ice cold, sly Machiavell ian, and, what is worse – he lies’ https://ww w.lifesite news.com/b logs/cardi nal-pope-i s-ice-cold -sly-machi avellian-a nd-what-is -worse...
- mbarry: Thank you all very much for your help! May God bless all of you all in abundance!
- maternalView: My old parish has been dying for years and I’m not quite sure how or why it’s still around. They have once a week Eucharist adoration and they’ ;ve had reasona...
- maternalView: Fr. Kalchik is an abuse survivor. Surely the Cardinal could show a little more mercy and accompanim ent than that! So the takeaway is the Cardinal ISN’ T on the side of abuse...
- Rob83: Sometimes there is a palpable sense that something is not right. I had that experience in Rome one night many years ago. A man approached , grasped the cup I was holding, said a few words I...
- Cicero_NOLA: Can anyone recommend a book or resource on Our Lady of Akita? I went this spring before moving back from Japan to the US, but had trouble finding something to help me prepare. Fr...
- Anita Moore, O.P.(lay): Being put in a mental institutio n was a routine punishment in the Soviet Union.
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- If government leaders in China can now choose bishops, then in these USA…
- Francis trades quips with Polish photographer in Vilnius
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- Archbp. Chaput of @ArchPhilly on upcoming Synod’s working document. Concerns.
- UPDATE – @ArchChicago parish burns a “rainbow flag”
- THIS IS WAR! Wherein Fr. Z calls on bishops and priests to FIGHT BACK as priests and bishops!
- Akita, Communion in the hand, and homosexuality
- Card. Zen on the “Provisional Agreement” with the PRC on Bishops
- WDTPRS – 25th Ordinary Sunday: Each love fuels the other, when love of God is first.
- VIDEO: Fr. Murray on aspects of The Present Crisis
- ASK FATHER: Adding water to Holy Water
- ASK FATHER: If in letters Benedict XVI imparts still the Apostolic Blessing…
- A story of spectacular complexity, involving shady people, huge money, interlocking directorates, vast loans, and the Papal Foundation.
- One Mad Mom spanks James Martin, LGBTSJ – UPDATED
- Bishop R. Walker Nickless of Sioux City on #ViganoTestimony
- And now a word from our sponsor…
- BOOKS RECEIVED: Vatican I: The Council and the Making of the Ultramontane Church
- The upcoming Synod’s “working document”
- ASK FATHER: Should we pray for or against the success of the Synod?
- What passes for important today.
- YOU are other people. It’s always someone else… until it’s YOU.
- ASK FATHER: Are we are in the End Times?
- Fr. Murray’s Open Letter to ex-Card. McCarrick. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- Cri de Coeur about lost innocence and The Present Crisis
- Card. Müller: “the real danger to today’s humanity is the greenhouse gases of sin and the global warming of unbelief”
- Thoughts on fatherhood and how priestly identity is undercut by short terms as pastors
- More Jesuit idiocy – BUT WAIT! There’s more!
- Henry Sire: “Archbishop Viganò is now living in fear of his life, quite literally.”
- ASK FATHER: Can a Dominican Tertiary priest use the Dominican Rite?
- Lay Rage in Chicago, Mary Eberstadt takes names, and Fr. Z rants
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Tag Archives: Roman Breviary
Under another post this comment appeared:
I ask Fr. Z if a discussion of the old breviary and the LOTH is a rabbit hole. If so, I ask him to post about a comparison between the old and the LOTH and … Continue reading
For your Brick by Brick File.
There is now available an edition of the older, traditional Breviarium Romanum in Latin and SPANISH.
So far it looks like VOLUME I.
From a seminarian…
I am a seminarian and I pray the EF Office faithfully. I know I have read somewhere that even when praying alone the words should actually be pronounced (however quiet) and not read as completely silent. What prompts … Continue reading
From a reader…
I know some priests who pray all the Hours of the divine office at a particular time…for example:
There is this priest who went out for an important trip..he probably didn’t have any free time in the evening so … Continue reading
In a story on CNA we read that the Holy Father gave an interview to La Vanguardia.
Inter alia, His Holiness said,
I pray every day the divine office every day with the Psalms of David. We do the 150 psalms in … Continue reading
From a seminarian:
Just wondering if the new Latin / English Breviaries put out by Baronius Press fulfill the canonical objection of priests?
Particularly, can a priest say the English translation and fulfill his obligation? I am currently a seminarian and find … Continue reading
From a clerical reader:
I was wondering about different editions of the same Liturgia Horarum; I want to get the most recent editio tipico (2000 not 1962) but which is the best edition?
I found two editions online but I cannot really … Continue reading
Have you wanted to use the older form of the office, the Roman Breviary, but haven’t been able to do it because your Latin isn’t strong enough or you couldn’t figure out how to do it?
You are in luck.
Today I … Continue reading
I had a question from a priest about Univerae Ecclesiae on the topic of recitation of the office, and a cleric’s obligation. I also had conversations with three priests yesterday during which the topic of our daily office came up.
UE … Continue reading
From a religious:
When the motu proprio came out in 2007, it gave permission for clerics to use the older breviary to fulfill their obligation. I belong to the OCDS and many of our members wondered if we could pray the … Continue reading
From a reader:
Keeping this short, which version of the Breviary does the FSSP use?
And how could I find a set?
Since I do not belong to the FSSP, I am not the one to ask.
However, I suspect that, now this is … Continue reading
From a reader:
I am hoping to acquire a set of books for saying the office. Looking at the Latin options, there seems to be the Liturgiam Horarium, and the Brevarium Romanum (PPXII and Monastic Use). Which of these three would … Continue reading