Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- SuperTrad: Could someone post a link to the video so it’s still accessible from this site and so we can bring it into the open, please?
- JR: I don’ t think priests should be criticised , so I’ll recount this with sober caution. On the Sunday after All Saints I attended the evening Youth Mass at St. Mary’ ;s in North...
- JARay: According to “Gab ” landing in WA will subject you to flies and very warm temperatur es. I live in Western Australia and I can assure you that that statement is just not true. At...
- TonyO: Note, also, that there is no necessity that the sponsor be the same sex as the young person being confirmed. Sure, it is typical, and there are reasons why it is a good idea when possib...
- fishonthehill: Oy gevalt! As a Brooklyn born priest, familiar with Yiddish, I guess the pastor of the parish (macher), is living out the old Yiddish expression : “Vak sn zolstu vi a tsibele...
- WmHesch: Google a picture of their pastor (Errr.. “presider” ) Dude’s wearing what I can only describe as an African inspired blouse
- Maureen M: Prayers for a safe trip, Father. Thank you for all that you do for the Church. Welcome to CA, if that is where you are heading. :)
- AA Cunningham: Those with not much to spend may consider Father Richard Heilman 217;s Roman Catholic Gear.
- Southern Catholic: Komo, It is listed on the parish website after Saturday Masses. So they sang Imagine during a mass there? Weird.
- William: I hate bulletin ads. I especially hate ads that promote divorce. I’m surprised there̵ 7;s no ad from PP or some left-wing political group.
- RCAVictor: This parish rings an old bell. Didn’ ;t Fr. Altier get in trouble years ago for crossing swords with St. Joan of Arc – along with his vocal objections to the “Saf e...
- hwriggles4: Westward. Your presence will be greatly appreciate d at the Walk for Life West Coast if that’ ;s where you are headed.
- grumpyoldCatholic: Does George Soros attend? The bulletin makes me want to cry
- AlanLins: I have a great deal of sympathy for the Archbishop in this situation. I believe that the text which follows is the oath all bishops take. This indeed is a truly difficult situation. OATH...
- youngcatholicgirl: My mother and I traveled from Nashville to Rome this past fall, departing on Thursday morning (Central Time) and arriving Friday mid-mornin g (Rome time). I did wonder briefly...
- youngcatholicgirl: I was enrolled before my First Holy Communion and was given a cloth scapular with paper pictures sewn on and encased in plastic. I don’ t remember receiving much cateche...
- Hidden One: LifeSite News contacted Archbishop Hebda, who gave a truly pastoral reply. This could be the beginning of a new era for that parish.
- The Masked Chicken: I would like to put in a plug for the Rose Scapular Company: https://ww w.rosescap ular.net They specialize in scapulars. Their brown scapulars are durable and well-co...
- FrAnt: Safe travels. You got a selfie with your plane.
- Joe in Canada: Apart from the scandal of the bulletin is the irony that he starts by denouncing those who “rea d a book” ; and are then experts in the theory of the book. Then apparen...
- philothea.distracted: My son was confirmed this past fall. We did exactly as Fr. Ferguson suggests above. My son asked a gentleman we know pretty well from church. This man was delighted to be...
- Gab: Very prescient of you, Fr Z. The video is no longer available.
- HezzerK: Fro responded to a comment above saying, 221;What people who are not from there don’t get is that this parish was EXACTLY what was being prepared via seminary formation. One prof in my...
- john_6_fan: Veronika 8217;s Workshop on Facebook makes custom embroidere d scapulars at a reasonable cost. My wife and daughters all have scapulars with their patron saint on them. www.fac...
- Gaetano: I’m a native New Yorker and ours was the only non-Jewish family on our block in an Orthodox neighborho od. In New York, even if you’re Catholic you’re Jewish, and I would be embarrasse d...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- ASK FATHER: Do I have to sing at Mass?
- Chatter on the deaconette front
- Scandalous parish in @ArchdioceseSPM – public celebration of homosexuality, IVR and surrogacy
- My View For Awhile: Westward
- ASK FATHER: Finding good sponsors for confirmation
- ASK FATHER: Where can I get good Brown Scapulars?
- ASK FATHER: Friday penance on flight across International Date Line
- Public penance and public reparation
- Card. Mahony to speak at the Three Days of Darkness
- UPDATE: “the finest rosaries I’ve ever seen” with a new site
- SOS! New Chant Collection: Prière pour temps de détresse … Prayer in time of distress, suffering, urgency… SOS Chant
- ASK FATHER: St. Gertrude’s Prayer and releasing 1000 souls from Purgatory
- YOUR URGENT PRAYER REQUESTS
- When tweets become problematic
- 4th Letter from Archbishop Viganò
- 14 January – Happy Feast of the Ass!
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- ASK FATHER: Standing on altar to change sanctuary lamp.
- ASK FATHER: Feasts of new saints in the Traditional Latin Mass
- Good points in Lawler’s recent book: The Smoke of Satan…
- Two cordial warnings to readers
- ASK FATHER: Excessive pious gestures during Mass
- WDTPRS – Holy Family (1962MR): Families not of blood
- ASK FATHER: Can we use the Breviarium Romanum published by the SSPX?
- FOLLOW UP on Gluten and Celiac post
- ZMIRAK: Hawaii Sen. @maziehirono Is Right. We Must Intern the Knights of Columbus in Camps
- ASK FATHER: Gluten-free madness the work of the Father of Lies?
- Of desecration of liturgy and identity. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- NEW BOOK from William R. Forstchen. “Sauron’s Eye” is about to kill everything on Earth.
- Fun about a box of stuff, a papal tomb and ancient reading glasses (“cheaters”)
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Tag Archives: Roman Breviary
This is great news for all those who have been seeking out the wonderful reprinting of the The Roman Breviary by Baronius Press. It is at long last back in print. I wrote about it in 2012. This is a … Continue reading
Under another post this comment appeared: I ask Fr. Z if a discussion of the old breviary and the LOTH is a rabbit hole. If so, I ask him to post about a comparison between the old and the LOTH … Continue reading
For your Brick by Brick File. There is now available an edition of the older, traditional Breviarium Romanum in Latin and SPANISH. So far it looks like VOLUME I. HERE
From a seminarian… QUAERITUR: I am a seminarian and I pray the EF Office faithfully. I know I have read somewhere that even when praying alone the words should actually be pronounced (however quiet) and not read as completely silent. … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: I know some priests who pray all the Hours of the divine office at a particular time…for example: There is this priest who went out for an important trip..he probably didn’t have any free time in … Continue reading
In a story on CNA we read that the Holy Father gave an interview to La Vanguardia. Inter alia, His Holiness said, I pray every day the divine office every day with the Psalms of David. We do the 150 … Continue reading
From a seminarian: Just wondering if the new Latin / English Breviaries put out by Baronius Press fulfill the canonical objection of priests? Particularly, can a priest say the English translation and fulfill his obligation? I am currently a seminarian … Continue reading
From a clerical reader: I was wondering about different editions of the same Liturgia Horarum; I want to get the most recent editio tipico (2000 not 1962) but which is the best edition? I found two editions online but I … Continue reading
Have you wanted to use the older form of the office, the Roman Breviary, but haven’t been able to do it because your Latin isn’t strong enough or you couldn’t figure out how to do it? You are in luck. … Continue reading
I had a question from a priest about Univerae Ecclesiae on the topic of recitation of the office, and a cleric’s obligation. I also had conversations with three priests yesterday during which the topic of our daily office came up. … Continue reading
From a religious: When the motu proprio came out in 2007, it gave permission for clerics to use the older breviary to fulfill their obligation. I belong to the OCDS and many of our members wondered if we could pray … Continue reading
From a reader: Keeping this short, which version of the Breviary does the FSSP use? And how could I find a set? Since I do not belong to the FSSP, I am not the one to ask. However, I suspect … Continue reading
From a reader: I am hoping to acquire a set of books for saying the office. Looking at the Latin options, there seems to be the Liturgiam Horarium, and the Brevarium Romanum (PPXII and Monastic Use). Which of these three … Continue reading