Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, come here first!
Enter Amazon through my search box and I will get a small percentage of what you spend. (Pssst - Can't see the search box? Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
PS: I added Amazon Search Boxes for the UK and for Canada at the bottom of the blog page. Copy and paste titles I mention into those boxes and - BAZINGA! - results appear as if by magic. Kindle? HERE
PLEASE HELP with a TAX DEDUCTIBLE DONATION for new sets of Pontifical Vestments for the Extraordinary Form in WHITE and… BLUE!
Thanks to: JD!, MH!, Fr JZ!, MP, Fr AS, AS!, GG wow!, RH, DH, TP, TP, BC, CU, AC, AW // DK // JB // JL! // DY!!!!! // ARG! (check), EB! // SK, WH // BC // MH, JD!, MM, TH, JJ // LP!, DW wow!, AM!!!!!, MH, MM!!! // JL // TS!, AR! TD! // MH, TC // C&BH // JC!, MMac! // KK SK // MT // MR!, JK!, WR!!! // CD'A // GB! LP, NDeC, TG, EW!, JK, JM! // CC // DH, WK. JS // PW // DSD, KS, TB // CM, AW, AW // MS, Fr. RS // LP, MT!!!!!, SG, PM, NBW, RK // LT, BR, CU, BM, PR!! // MAB!!!! // RM // JB[HURRAY! That put us over the top of our 1st goal of $9K. - KEEP GOING!]
“The liturgy is the principal organ of the Church’s Ordinary Magisterium.”
- Pius XI
If my people who are called by my name humble themselves, and pray and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.
- 2 Chronicles 7:14 RSV
Card. Sarah’s new book, Le Force du Silence (US HERE – UK HERE), hitherto only in French, is now available to PRE-ORDER in ENGLISH. It will be released on 15 April. A great reading gift to yourselves or friends.
US HERE – UK HERE
CLICK and say your Daily Offering!
"We as Catholics have not properly combated (the culture) because we have not been taught our Catholic Faith, especially in the depth needed to address these grave evils of our time. This is a failure of catechesis both of children and young people that has been going on for fifty years. It is being addressed, but it needs much more radical attention... What has also contributed greatly to the situation is an exaltation of the virtue of tolerance which is falsely seen as the virtue which governs all other virtues. In other words, we should tolerate other people in their immoral actions to the extent that we seem also to accept the moral wrong. Tolerance is a virtue, but it is certainly not the principal virtue; the principal virtue is charity... Charity means speaking the truth. I have encountered it (not speaking the truth) many times myself as a priest and bishop. It is something we simply need to address. There is far too much silence — people do not want to talk about it because the topic is not 'politically correct.' But we cannot be silent any longer."
Raymond Card. Burke
Art by D Burkart
- SKAY said un-ionized said: “Kerry, i always knew that...
- APX said I actually enjoyed the prayers of the Protestants...
- albizzi said Besides the feast day of Saint Agnes virgin and ma...
- Semper Gumby said Congratulations Fr. Villa and all! Deo gratias.
- spaatz1228 said Without knowing all the details, I wondered if pu...
- KnitFoole said What happens if the priest tells you not to confes...
- Scott Woltze said Is there a link describing the Canons Regular? I&...
- ChgoCatholic said Every time I’m at Mass, I wish there were co...
- Austin said The pastoral provision case, in San Antonio, repre...
- Scott Woltze said We need a thousand more priests like him. Laymen...
- Matimus said “There can be few pleasures – for Catholics,...
- jameeka said The Apostolate of the FUs sounds really cool!
- Hidden One said We “traditionalists” must strive to ou...
- Tom A. said I am sure there are those in the modern church who...
- anna 6 said The Aposolate of the FU’s… Brilliant.
- Fiat Domine said I agree with you completely, Father. The jibberis...
- Semper Gumby said Thanks Fr. Murray. Fr. Z: Great film noir poster....
- stuart reiss said Ah, thats fabulous. We here across the pond are pl...
- un-ionized said Kerry, i always knew that obama was lying whenever...
- un-ionized said Ages, ?
- THREEHEARTS said He, Trump, reminds me so much of Winston Churchill...
- Chris Rawlings said Dealing with the catastrophe of a President Trump...
- Kerry said iprimap, in his favor, at the very least whenever...
- Mike said Concur with iprimap above. Opposing Trump to suppo...
- Ralph said Father, Thank you for sharing this moving video....
- Ages said While talking of anthems, I personally would favor...
- Kathleen10 said *I should say, “a silent, perfunctory sign o...
- Kathleen10 said America would never change the national anthem. W...
- robtbrown said Fr Augustine, Exactly correct, if the bishop (sadl...
- Fr. Kelly said The laity are always free to submit requests, inqu...
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee) and Norcia (beer)!
- Aedificantium enim unusquisque gladio erat accinctus.
- Nehemiah 4:18
"Where priest and people together face the same way, what we have is a cosmic orientation and also in interpretation of the Eucharist in terms of resurrection and trinitarian theology. Hence it is also an interpretation in terms of parousia, a theology of hope, in which every Mass is an approach to the return of Christ."
Joseph Ratzinger - The Feast of Faith"In those situations where homosexual unions have been legally recognized or have been given the legal status and rights belonging to marriage, clear and emphatic opposition is a duty. ... If all Catholics are obliged to oppose the legal recognition of homosexual unions, Catholic politicians are obliged to do so in a particular way, in keeping with their responsibility as politicians." CDF 2003
One of the most dangerous errors is that civilization is automatically bound to increase and spread. The lesson of history is the opposite; civilization is a rarity, attained with difficulty and easily lost. The normal state of humanity is barbarism, just as the normal surface of the planet is salt water. Land looms large in our imagination and civilization in history books, only because sea and savagery are to us less interesting. — C. S. Lewis
Ham Radio Stuff
Fr. Z - W9FRZ - OFF
QRV on: 00m 00000
Check Echolink WB0YLE-R - OFF
"One of the few things in life you can be absolutely sure about is that, if Management tells you it doesn't like your Tone, you are getting something right."
"Latin is a precise, essential language. It will be abandoned, not because it is unsuitable for the new requirements of progress, but because the new men will not be suitable for it. When the age of demagogues and charlatans begins, a language like Latin will no longer be useful, and any oaf will be able to give a speech in public and talk in such a way that he will not be kicked off the stage. The secret to this will consist in the fact that, by making use of words that are general, elusive, and sound good, he will be able to speak for an hour without saying anything. With Latin, this is impossible."
- - Giovanni Guareschi
Support them with prayer and fasting.
Help the Sisters. They have a building project. Get great soap (gifts, etc.) while helping REAL nuns!
Some OBLIGATORY reading…
Leave Voice Mail for Fr. Z
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Check out the Cardinal Newman Society feed!
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…... and there will be nearly 1,000,000 page loads this month.
A great hymnal…
Mystic Monk Coffee also has TEA!
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
My wish lists
Food For Thought
“The legalization of the termination of pregnancy is none other than the authorization given to an adult, with the approval of an established law, to take the lives of children yet unborn and thus incapable of defending themselves. It is difficult to imagine a more unjust situation, and it is very difficult to speak of obsession in a matter such as this, where we are dealing with a fundamental imperative of every good conscience — the defense of the right to life of an innocent and defenseless human being.”
- St. John Paul II
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
A morsel for thought…
"If your work is strong enough for someone to hate you, it's strong enough for someone to love you. The middle is what you should fear."
- Sean McCabe @seanwes
- 21 January St. Agnes: “Shining with the fire of divine love”
- Fr. Sirico of @ActonInstitute on Pres. Trump’s Prayer Service
- Serious priest taking it to the streets
- The plural of anecdote is “data”
- The elation of a good confession humbly made
- No Poet at Inauguration 2017
- WDTPRS: 3rd Ordinary Sunday – “abound with good works”
- A word for the wise (bishop) from Summorum Pontificum
- PRAYER REQUEST: Archbp. Carroll’s “Prayer for Government”
- A level stretch
- “As He died to make men holy, let us die to make men free”
- 25 January: Brick by brick in YONKERS! 1st Solemn Mass in decades!
- Have priests of Malta been threatened with suspension if they resist The Maltese Fiasco?
- TRAD LIVES MATTER! US Bishop attacks “ad orientem” worship, overrides Summorum Pontificum
- Trump appointee’s stockings
- Fathers! You are the mighty enemies of our enemy, Hell!
- UPDATE: White Pontifical Vestments Project
- BOOKS Recently Received: Beautiful manuals for devotions
- The Maltese Fiasco – The Movie?
- Poste Vaticane – Commemorative stamping to honor Martin Luther
- REACTION: HBO’s The Young Pope
- Kelly Ann Conway, The March For Life, SCOTUS, Roe v Wade
- Solemn Mass Green Eye Candy
- Is ‘Amoris laetitia’ compromised because of ghostwriter plagiarism?
- ASK FATHER: Can absolution be granted when no purpose of amendment exists?
- Canonist Ed Peters on The Maltese Fiasco
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- WDTPRS – 2nd Ordinary Sunday (NO) & 2nd after Epiphany (TLM): We are beggars
- IMPORTANT: Interview with Card. Caffarra about the Dubia and ‘Amoris laetitia’ confusion
- ACTION ITEM! Pontifical Vestments Fund Raising UPDATED!
For your consideration…
"One of the most dangerous errors is that civilization is automatically bound to increase and spread. The lesson of history is the opposite; civilization is a rarity, attained with difficulty and easily lost. The normal state of humanity is barbarism, just as the normal surface of the planet is salt water. Land looms large in our imagination and civilization in history books, only because sea and savagery are to us less interesting."
- C.S. Lewis
More food for thought:
“I expect to die in bed, my successor will die in prison and his successor will die a martyr in the public square. His successor will pick up the shards of a ruined society and slowly help rebuild civilization, as the church has done so often in human history.”
Francis Card. George
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Please follow me on Twitter!
- "It will never be known what acts of cowardice have been committed for fear of not looking sufficiently progressive."
Charles Pierre Péguy Notre Patrie, 1905"If I ought to write the truth, I am of the mind that I ought to flee all meetings of bishops, because I have never seen any happy or satisfactory outcome to any council, nor one that has deterred evils more than it has occasioned their acceptance and growth."
St. Gregory Nazianzus ep. 131 - AD 382“We will conquer your Rome, break your crosses, and enslave your women. If we do not reach that time, then our children and grandchildren will reach it, and they will sell your sons as slaves at the slave market.”
Reading and gift ideas!
Tag Archives: rosary
UPDATE: A reader sent: Father: When the Pope is saying “human person at center”, I think this article might explain the thinking. [The serendipitous article in question is from today’s page at Crisis.] Person as opposed to power and goods … Continue reading
START TODAY! 54 Day Rosary For Our Nation – 15 August (Assumption) through 7 October (O.L. of the Rosary)
Can we agree that our nation – I mean these USA – need some serious intervention and graces from God? I fear that if we don’t change our collective ways, God will either intervene somewhat less gently. Otherwise, He’ll owe … Continue reading
I was drafting something along these lines, but Fr. John Hunwicke has expressed also many of the points I wanted to get across (with my emphases and comment): Those who died in the most truly appalling events at Orlando … … Continue reading
ORIGINAL Published on: May 7, 2016 Here is something extremely cool. First, you may recall that last year we had a project to help one of the Swiss Guard have custom armor made. HERE I’ve stayed in touch with the Guard … Continue reading
I am curious about how you readers recite the Rosary. There are regional and cultural variations. Context: I found my old audio files of my recitation of the Rosary in Latin that I used on my old Ustream feed (back when … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: To gain an indulgence we are required to “pray for the Pope’s intention”. How are we to understand this – are we asking God to answer the specific prayer intentions of the Holy Father (crudely, asking … Continue reading
From a reader: What items should a Catholic include in a bug out bag [BOB] besides the usual survival gear? What does a Priest’s bug out bag look like? I would assume supplies to administer the sacraments in an emergency. … Continue reading
I have decided to reread Benedict XVI’s third volume of Jesus of Nazareth: The Infancy Narratives. It is shorter than the other two volumes, but there are riches within. The Holy Father’s book presents a real defense of the historicity … Continue reading
I have on occasion mentioned the best rosaries I have ever seen. They are made by a acquaintance and collaborator way back in the days when I was still involved with Compuserve! One of the participants started her own rosary … Continue reading
POLL BELOW The Holy Father is, as I type, at Santa Maria Maggiore for recitation of the Most Holy Rosary. Do you say the Rosary? Some shots from the live feed. In Italy it is customary to end the Rosary … Continue reading
Let’s return to an oldie-POLL for today’s beautiful feast. First, a commercial: Years ago an acquaintance who participated on the old Compuserve Catholic Forum started her own online rosary business. She made the most beautiful – and also strongest – … Continue reading
There is a beautiful tradition for this day (often right at 1200 noon). Once upon a time one could obtain this day a plenary indulgence by reciting the Supplication to the Madonna of Pompeii. The other day for this is … Continue reading
I don’t often post about apparitions of Our Blessed Mother, though I pay diligent attention to those which are approved by the Holy See and some attention to those which have the approval of local bishops. With that in mind, … Continue reading
We are headed into a time of true spiritual warfare. The signs of this are thick in the air about us now. We would do well to get ourselves ready. We need good examinations of conscience, good confessions, good Communions – always GOOD … Continue reading