Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, come here first!
Enter Amazon through my search box and I will get a small percentage of what you spend. (Pssst - Can't see the search box? Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
PS: I added Amazon Search Boxes for the UK and for Canada at the bottom of the blog page. Copy and paste titles I mention into those boxes and - BAZINGA! - results appear as if by magic. Kindle? HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
PLEASE HELP with a TAX DEDUCTIBLE DONATION for new sets of Pontifical Vestments for the Extraordinary Form in WHITE and… BLUE!
Thanks to: JD!, MH!, Fr JZ!, MP, Fr AS, AS!, GG wow!, RH, DH, TP, TP, BC, CU, AC, AW // DK // JB // JL! // DY!!!!! // ARG! (check), EB! // SK, WH // BC // MH, JD!, MM, TH, JJ // LP!, DW wow!, AM!!!!!, MH, MM!!! // JL // TS!, AR! TD! // MH, TC // C&BH // JC!, MMac! // KK SK // MT // MR!, JK!, WR!!! // CD'A // GB! LP, NDeC, TG, EW!, JK, JM! // CC // DH, WK. JS // PW // DSD, KS, TB // CM, AW, AW // MS, Fr. RS // LP, MT!!!!!, SG, PM, NBW, RK // LT, BR, CU, BM, PR!! // MAB!!!! // RM // JB // GM, AF //[HURRAY! That put us over the top of our 1st goal of $9K. - KEEP GOING!]
“The liturgy is the principal organ of the Church’s Ordinary Magisterium.”
- Pius XI
If my people who are called by my name humble themselves, and pray and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.
- 2 Chronicles 7:14 RSV
Card. Sarah’s new book, Le Force du Silence (US HERE – UK HERE), hitherto only in French, is now available to PRE-ORDER in ENGLISH. It will be released on 15 April. A great reading gift to yourselves or friends.
US HERE – UK HERE
CLICK and say your Daily Offering!
"We as Catholics have not properly combated (the culture) because we have not been taught our Catholic Faith, especially in the depth needed to address these grave evils of our time. This is a failure of catechesis both of children and young people that has been going on for fifty years. It is being addressed, but it needs much more radical attention... What has also contributed greatly to the situation is an exaltation of the virtue of tolerance which is falsely seen as the virtue which governs all other virtues. In other words, we should tolerate other people in their immoral actions to the extent that we seem also to accept the moral wrong. Tolerance is a virtue, but it is certainly not the principal virtue; the principal virtue is charity... Charity means speaking the truth. I have encountered it (not speaking the truth) many times myself as a priest and bishop. It is something we simply need to address. There is far too much silence — people do not want to talk about it because the topic is not 'politically correct.' But we cannot be silent any longer."
Raymond Card. Burke
Art by D Burkart
- ACM said Hydrogen peroxide or vinegar will get rid of all g...
- timfout said Our pastor told the story of the time when he and...
- joekstl said Our pastor focused on two points in the Gospel: r...
- excalibur said Our 85 year old administrator, the parish closings...
- southernpriest said I preached about Christ working to being about uni...
- teachermom24 said Our priest gave a WONDERFUL homily today on the me...
- steve51b31 said We are called to True Discipleship in our lives wi...
- bibi1003 said Mass is still an hour away, so I’ll update t...
- Mathieu said Father Thomas (an amazing priest from Vietnam) tol...
- MikeToo said Father spoke about vocations. He mentioned that w...
- Prayerful said On this Third Sunday after Epiphany the priests ob...
- Facta Non Verba said We heard about supporting life from womb to tomb....
- iPadre said Based my sermon on “Dómine, non sum dignus…&...
- servus humilis said Last week our pastor spoke about the conversion of...
- Discerning Altar Boy said Father mentioned that as part of our Most Reverend...
- GrumpyYoungMan said Not only is “Domine non sum dignus” an...
- FruityPebbles said I was mentally distracted during the homily. But a...
- jfk03 said The priest, whose name is Andrew, recounted how he...
- lmgilbert said Last evening Fr. Gerald mounted the pulpit with a...
- Fr Martin Fox said This weekend the Archdiocese kicks of it’s a...
- Bthompson said Our Auxiliary Bishop came down for a vocations eve...
- Matt8006 said At the conclusion of his homily, Father encouraged...
- Joseph-Mary said We certainly must pray extra hard for priests as r...
- Lucas Whittaker said Thank you for the work that you do to benefit and...
- Chris in Maryland 2 said Dear Father Z: Thank you for your tribute to St. A...
- CatholicCoffee said “amid the darkened anonymity of the confessi...
- stjoe said Relatively new pastor at our parish….today,...
- Seamus said Charles Wilson of the St. Joseph Foundation is on...
- L. said It seems more likely that faithful Priests will be...
- SPWang said Can someone explain the spur on her skull over her...
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee) and Norcia (beer)!
- Aedificantium enim unusquisque gladio erat accinctus.
- Nehemiah 4:18
"Where priest and people together face the same way, what we have is a cosmic orientation and also in interpretation of the Eucharist in terms of resurrection and trinitarian theology. Hence it is also an interpretation in terms of parousia, a theology of hope, in which every Mass is an approach to the return of Christ."
Joseph Ratzinger - The Feast of Faith"In those situations where homosexual unions have been legally recognized or have been given the legal status and rights belonging to marriage, clear and emphatic opposition is a duty. ... If all Catholics are obliged to oppose the legal recognition of homosexual unions, Catholic politicians are obliged to do so in a particular way, in keeping with their responsibility as politicians." CDF 2003
One of the most dangerous errors is that civilization is automatically bound to increase and spread. The lesson of history is the opposite; civilization is a rarity, attained with difficulty and easily lost. The normal state of humanity is barbarism, just as the normal surface of the planet is salt water. Land looms large in our imagination and civilization in history books, only because sea and savagery are to us less interesting. — C. S. Lewis
Ham Radio Stuff
Fr. Z - W9FRZ - OFF
QRV on: 00m 00000
Check Echolink WB0YLE-R - OFF
"One of the few things in life you can be absolutely sure about is that, if Management tells you it doesn't like your Tone, you are getting something right."
"Latin is a precise, essential language. It will be abandoned, not because it is unsuitable for the new requirements of progress, but because the new men will not be suitable for it. When the age of demagogues and charlatans begins, a language like Latin will no longer be useful, and any oaf will be able to give a speech in public and talk in such a way that he will not be kicked off the stage. The secret to this will consist in the fact that, by making use of words that are general, elusive, and sound good, he will be able to speak for an hour without saying anything. With Latin, this is impossible."
- - Giovanni Guareschi
Support them with prayer and fasting.
Help the Sisters. They have a building project. Get great soap (gifts, etc.) while helping REAL nuns!
Some OBLIGATORY reading…
Leave Voice Mail for Fr. Z
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Check out the Cardinal Newman Society feed!
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…... and there will be nearly 1,000,000 page loads this month.
A great hymnal…
Mystic Monk Coffee also has TEA!
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
My wish lists
Food For Thought
“The legalization of the termination of pregnancy is none other than the authorization given to an adult, with the approval of an established law, to take the lives of children yet unborn and thus incapable of defending themselves. It is difficult to imagine a more unjust situation, and it is very difficult to speak of obsession in a matter such as this, where we are dealing with a fundamental imperative of every good conscience — the defense of the right to life of an innocent and defenseless human being.”
- St. John Paul II
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
A morsel for thought…
"If your work is strong enough for someone to hate you, it's strong enough for someone to love you. The middle is what you should fear."
- Sean McCabe @seanwes
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- 21 January St. Agnes: “Shining with the fire of divine love”
- Fr. Sirico of @ActonInstitute on Pres. Trump’s Prayer Service
- Serious priest taking it to the streets
- The plural of anecdote is “data”
- The elation of a good confession humbly made
- No Poet at Inauguration 2017
- WDTPRS: 3rd Ordinary Sunday – “abound with good works”
- A word for the wise (bishop) from Summorum Pontificum
- PRAYER REQUEST: Archbp. Carroll’s “Prayer for Government”
- A level stretch
- “As He died to make men holy, let us die to make men free”
- 25 January: Brick by brick in YONKERS! 1st Solemn Mass in decades!
- Have priests of Malta been threatened with suspension if they resist The Maltese Fiasco?
- TRAD LIVES MATTER! US Bishop attacks “ad orientem” worship, overrides Summorum Pontificum
- Trump appointee’s stockings
- Fathers! You are the mighty enemies of our enemy, Hell!
- UPDATE: White Pontifical Vestments Project
- BOOKS Recently Received: Beautiful manuals for devotions
- The Maltese Fiasco – The Movie?
- Poste Vaticane – Commemorative stamping to honor Martin Luther
- REACTION: HBO’s The Young Pope
- Kelly Ann Conway, The March For Life, SCOTUS, Roe v Wade
- Solemn Mass Green Eye Candy
- Is ‘Amoris laetitia’ compromised because of ghostwriter plagiarism?
- ASK FATHER: Can absolution be granted when no purpose of amendment exists?
- Canonist Ed Peters on The Maltese Fiasco
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- WDTPRS – 2nd Ordinary Sunday (NO) & 2nd after Epiphany (TLM): We are beggars
- IMPORTANT: Interview with Card. Caffarra about the Dubia and ‘Amoris laetitia’ confusion
For your consideration…
"One of the most dangerous errors is that civilization is automatically bound to increase and spread. The lesson of history is the opposite; civilization is a rarity, attained with difficulty and easily lost. The normal state of humanity is barbarism, just as the normal surface of the planet is salt water. Land looms large in our imagination and civilization in history books, only because sea and savagery are to us less interesting."
- C.S. Lewis
More food for thought:
“I expect to die in bed, my successor will die in prison and his successor will die a martyr in the public square. His successor will pick up the shards of a ruined society and slowly help rebuild civilization, as the church has done so often in human history.”
Francis Card. George
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Please follow me on Twitter!
- "It will never be known what acts of cowardice have been committed for fear of not looking sufficiently progressive."
Charles Pierre Péguy Notre Patrie, 1905"If I ought to write the truth, I am of the mind that I ought to flee all meetings of bishops, because I have never seen any happy or satisfactory outcome to any council, nor one that has deterred evils more than it has occasioned their acceptance and growth."
St. Gregory Nazianzus ep. 131 - AD 382“We will conquer your Rome, break your crosses, and enslave your women. If we do not reach that time, then our children and grandchildren will reach it, and they will sell your sons as slaves at the slave market.”
Reading and gift ideas!
Tag Archives: same-sex marriage
As I have often said and written, I would vote for the corpse of Millard Filmore (the last Whig President and an anti-Catholic No Nothing) to keep Hillary Clinton out of the White House. And now, with Tim Kaine (can. … Continue reading
The other day, pro-abortion, “practicing Catholic”, democrat Vice President Joe Biden performed a same-sex civil “marriage”. In effect, Biden gave the digitus infamis to the Catholic Church. Canonist Ed Peters has observations about this scandalous flipping of the proverbial bird. HERE … Continue reading
Before anything else let me say: Anglicanorum coetibus! Here’s something slightly interesting. From USA Today: Anglicans suspend Episcopal Church over stance on same-sex marriage The Anglican Communion suspended the Episcopal Church, it’s American branch, from voting and decision-making for three years … Continue reading
The catholic Left are desperate to silence the so-called “culture warriors”, especially to squelch Catholics who uphold clear Catholic teaching in the public square. You may have heard that during his visit to these USA Pope Francis is reported to have met privately with the … Continue reading
Same-sex approval in law will lead to all sorts of aberrations from nature. Ultimately, I think the true goal is elimination of the age of consent. Meanwhile, the erosion continues. For example, from Fox411: ‘Sister Wives’ family cites gay marriage … Continue reading
At the blog of one Fr. Terence Ryan CSP, I saw this. Apparently Father believes that the moral doctrine of the Church reflects bigotry. Lesbian Dismissal Seems that a Catholic Academy fired a woman for being a lesbian. She was … Continue reading
The other day I posted the 2003 document from the CDF Observations about important CDF document on “Legal Recognition to Unions Between Homosexual Persons”. In that document we read… “In those situations where homosexual unions have been legally recognized or have … Continue reading
Here are a few points of interest concerning SCOTUS same-sex decision Obergefell v. Hodges. My patented emphases and comments. First, see the comments of Phil Lawler: So now is it ‘hate speech’ to deplore the Obergefell decision? The ink was barely dry … Continue reading
The Supreme Court came down in favor of same-sex marriage today. The Slip opinions are HERE. Held: The Fourteenth Amendment requires a State to license a marriage between two people of the same sex and to recognize a marriage between … Continue reading
Nancy “the Theologian” Pelosi… words fail! From LifeSite: Nancy Pelosi: Gay ‘marriage’ is ‘consistent’ with Catholic teaching WASHINGTON, D.C., June 2, 2015 (LifeSiteNews.com) — House Minority Leader Rep. Nancy Pelosi, D-CA, says that same-sex “marriage” is perfectly “consistent” with Catholic … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: A friend of mine is a faithful homosexual Catholic, in a committed chaste relationship with another homosexual Catholic since years [in a non-USA country]. He is [from non-USA country A] and his partner [from non-USA country B]. In accordance to … Continue reading
My friend Fr. Rutler, pastor of St. Michael’s in Manhattan, wrote a “pastor’s page” column this week about the same-sex debacle in Ireland. You don’t want to miss it. At the time of this writing, it isn’t yet posted on … Continue reading
At Crisis I saw something about what the Irish did that serves as a pretty good summary. The whole thing is HERE. This is a sample: […] Some scholars tell us that the gothic genre of story-telling grew up as … Continue reading
You should read Damian Thompson’s take on the recent horrific betrayal by the Irish. HERE Gay marriage will split the Catholic Church Ireland, for so long the most overtly Catholic state in Western Europe, has voted for gay marriage by … Continue reading
34K black churches (NBCI) cut ties with, denounce Presbyterian ‘c’hurch USA over same-sex “marriage”
Fr. Z kudos to the 34K. From Lifesite with my emphases and comments: 34,000 black churches cut ties with the Presbyterian Church USA after it backed same-sex ‘marriage’ April 2, 2015 (LifeSiteNews.com) – The National Black Church Initiative (NBCI) – a … Continue reading