Search Fr. Z’s Blog
BACK TO SCHOOL SHOPPING? Please, come here first!
Enter Amazon through my search box and I will get a small percentage of what you spend. (Pssst - Can't see the search box? Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
PS: I added Amazon Search Boxes for the UK and for Canada at the bottom of the blog page. Copy and paste titles I mention into those boxes and - BAZINGA! - results appear as if by magic. Kindle? HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Some words of wisdom…
The more vigorously the primacy was displayed, the more the question came up about the extent and and limits of [papal] authority, which of course, as such, had never been considered. After the Second Vatican Council, the impression arose that the pope really could do anything in liturgical matters, especially if he were acting on the mandate of an ecumenical council. Eventually, the idea of the givenness of the liturgy, the fact that one cannot do with it what one will, faded from the public consciousness of the West. In fact, the First Vatican Council had in no way defined the pope as an absolute monarch. On the contrary, it presented him as the guarantor of obedience to the revealed Word. The pope's authority is bound to the Tradition of faith. … The authority of the pope is not unlimited; it is at the service of Sacred Tradition.
Joseph RatzingerUS HERE - UK HERE
in The Spirit of the Liturgy
Outstanding. Informative. Moving. - Fr. Z
CLICK and say your Daily Offering!
"We as Catholics have not properly combated (the culture) because we have not been taught our Catholic Faith, especially in the depth needed to address these grave evils of our time. This is a failure of catechesis both of children and young people that has been going on for fifty years. It is being addressed, but it needs much more radical attention... What has also contributed greatly to the situation is an exaltation of the virtue of tolerance which is falsely seen as the virtue which governs all other virtues. In other words, we should tolerate other people in their immoral actions to the extent that we seem also to accept the moral wrong. Tolerance is a virtue, but it is certainly not the principal virtue; the principal virtue is charity... Charity means speaking the truth. I have encountered it (not speaking the truth) many times myself as a priest and bishop. It is something we simply need to address. There is far too much silence — people do not want to talk about it because the topic is not 'politically correct.' But we cannot be silent any longer."
Raymond Card. Burke
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
I listen to your voicemails: I don’t call back, but I listen.
You have three options:
020 8133 4535
- Joy65 said May I share what the Diocesan Vocation Director sa...
- Knight from 13904 said Well said Father!!! Keep up the great work you ar...
- SanSan said Well now I’m a homophob (sp?) and I have a &...
- Richard McNally said Learning the TLM takes time, attention, commitment...
- Fr Richard Duncan CO said No. Nothing is said in the manuals about volume....
- Joy65 said I pray each and every day for all priests, Deacons...
- HyacinthClare said I just LOVE that picture.
- hwriggles4 said Suggestion for faithful Catholics in the Diocese o...
- frmh said Fathers, One of the things that convinced me to t...
- Adaquano said You don’t have to push too hard, I would say...
- tho said Vatican city is the only country in the world wher...
- jeffc said Are Roman vestments required for the TLM? [No.] I&...
- iPadre said Nothing good comes without sacrifice. When we want...
- Giuseppe said Andrew, Thank you for sharing that information abo...
- Luciano said But Father! But Father! You hate Vatican II! You s...
- THVRSDAY CATHOLICA EXTRA | Big Pulpit said […] Saint Matthew Has to Do with a School’s...
- Fr Martin Fox said As much as I want to do every single thing on the...
- Jackie L said Another option to consider: http://www.extraordina...
- Geoffrey said I would think that the Latin is not the most diffi...
- Ylonila del Mar said I make it a point to pray for Fr. Martin’s c...
- Fr Martin Fox said I have to say, when I was learning the Extraordina...
- Suzanne said This. This is what is the most hurtful to me in a...
- gracie said The trimmings on the chasubles are very abstract....
- seattle_cdn said How about the Prayers at the Foot of the altar bei...
- Rich said Tom of John of God, Thank you for your witness. I...
- Flos Carmeli said Dear Masked Chicken, I read every word of your com...
- RobS said I see now that Fr. Martin is now complaining in th...
- Lepidus said Is it possible / permissible for a priest to learn...
- Giuseppe said I’ve been to several NO masses said in Latin...
- Mike said If memory serves, one of the speakers at the Summo...
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee) and Norcia (beer)!
- Aedificantium enim unusquisque gladio erat accinctus.
- Nehemiah 4:18
"Where priest and people together face the same way, what we have is a cosmic orientation and also in interpretation of the Eucharist in terms of resurrection and trinitarian theology. Hence it is also an interpretation in terms of parousia, a theology of hope, in which every Mass is an approach to the return of Christ."
Joseph Ratzinger - The Feast of Faith"In those situations where homosexual unions have been legally recognized or have been given the legal status and rights belonging to marriage, clear and emphatic opposition is a duty. ... If all Catholics are obliged to oppose the legal recognition of homosexual unions, Catholic politicians are obliged to do so in a particular way, in keeping with their responsibility as politicians." CDF 2003
One of the most dangerous errors is that civilization is automatically bound to increase and spread. The lesson of history is the opposite; civilization is a rarity, attained with difficulty and easily lost. The normal state of humanity is barbarism, just as the normal surface of the planet is salt water. Land looms large in our imagination and civilization in history books, only because sea and savagery are to us less interesting. — C. S. Lewis
Ham Radio Stuff
Fr. Z - W9FRZ - OFF
QRV on: 00m 00000
Check Echolink WB0YLE-R - OFF
Get good RAZOR BLADES.
"One of the few things in life you can be absolutely sure about is that, if Management tells you it doesn't like your Tone, you are getting something right."
"Latin is a precise, essential language. It will be abandoned, not because it is unsuitable for the new requirements of progress, but because the new men will not be suitable for it. When the age of demagogues and charlatans begins, a language like Latin will no longer be useful, and any oaf will be able to give a speech in public and talk in such a way that he will not be kicked off the stage. The secret to this will consist in the fact that, by making use of words that are general, elusive, and sound good, he will be able to speak for an hour without saying anything. With Latin, this is impossible."
- - Giovanni Guareschi
Support them with prayer and fasting.
Help the Sisters. They have a building project. Get great soap (gifts, etc.) while helping REAL nuns!
Some OBLIGATORY reading…
Leave Voice Mail for Fr. Z
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Check out the Cardinal Newman Society feed!
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Mystic Monk Coffee also has TEA!
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
My wish lists
Food For Thought
“The legalization of the termination of pregnancy is none other than the authorization given to an adult, with the approval of an established law, to take the lives of children yet unborn and thus incapable of defending themselves. It is difficult to imagine a more unjust situation, and it is very difficult to speak of obsession in a matter such as this, where we are dealing with a fundamental imperative of every good conscience — the defense of the right to life of an innocent and defenseless human being.”
- St. John Paul II
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
A morsel for thought…
"If your work is strong enough for someone to hate you, it's strong enough for someone to love you. The middle is what you should fear."
- Sean McCabe @seanwes
- BOOK: Noble Beauty, Transcendent Holiness
- ASK FATHER: What can we do to get these men into seminary?
- UPDATE: Reversible travel vestments progress
- ASK FATHER: What’s so difficult about learning to say the Traditional Latin Mass?
- Wherein Fr. Z responds to some points made by Bp. McElroy
- ASK FATHER: Proposals to priests to “enrich” the Novus Ordo from Tradition
- SSPX forbidden to pray at Shrine of Our Lady of Knock
- 23 September 2017: Look! Up in the sky!
- Bullying the little guy.
- Please! Attack some more!
- My View For Awhile: Alignment
- Fr Z responds to something in LATimes
- MASS FOR BENEFACTORS
- WDTPRS 15th Sunday after Pentecost: We will come home to a safe landfall!
- Approval from author’s superiors doesn’t mean a book is good.
- WDTPRS – 24th Ordinary Sunday: “Do our prayers make a difference?”
- Rome – Day 4-5: Beautiful Masses
- Theologican College (seminary) asks Jesuit Fr. James Martin NOT to speak at event
- Rome – Day 4: TRAVEL VESTMENTS STARTED!
- Coverage of Summorum Pontificum conference for 10th anniversary
- A priest on what saying the Traditional Mass meant to him
- A young writer tries to figure out Pope Francis’ harsh words for “traditionalists”
- Thank you, Pope Benedict
- In the wake of the big storms: Prayers of THANKSGIVING!
- MADISON – 14 Sept: PONTIFICAL MASS AT THE THRONE
- Rome – Day 3: Summorum Pontificum 10 Years ONWARD!
- What Did Council Fathers REALLY Say About LATIN?
- Rome – Day 2: Stoffa and nonsense
- Excerpt from a conference Card. Caffarra was slated to give
- ASK FATHER: Resources to explain Collects in parish bulletin.
For your consideration…
"One of the most dangerous errors is that civilization is automatically bound to increase and spread. The lesson of history is the opposite; civilization is a rarity, attained with difficulty and easily lost. The normal state of humanity is barbarism, just as the normal surface of the planet is salt water. Land looms large in our imagination and civilization in history books, only because sea and savagery are to us less interesting."
- C.S. Lewis
More food for thought:
“I expect to die in bed, my successor will die in prison and his successor will die a martyr in the public square. His successor will pick up the shards of a ruined society and slowly help rebuild civilization, as the church has done so often in human history.”
Francis Card. George
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Please follow me on Twitter!
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
- "It will never be known what acts of cowardice have been committed for fear of not looking sufficiently progressive."
Charles Pierre Péguy Notre Patrie, 1905"If I ought to write the truth, I am of the mind that I ought to flee all meetings of bishops, because I have never seen any happy or satisfactory outcome to any council, nor one that has deterred evils more than it has occasioned their acceptance and growth."
St. Gregory Nazianzus ep. 131 - AD 382“We will conquer your Rome, break your crosses, and enslave your women. If we do not reach that time, then our children and grandchildren will reach it, and they will sell your sons as slaves at the slave market.”
Reading and gift ideas!
Tag Archives: same-sex marriage
34K black churches (NBCI) cut ties with, denounce Presbyterian ‘c’hurch USA over same-sex “marriage”
Fr. Z kudos to the 34K. From Lifesite with my emphases and comments: 34,000 black churches cut ties with the Presbyterian Church USA after it backed same-sex ‘marriage’ April 2, 2015 (LifeSiteNews.com) – The National Black Church Initiative (NBCI) – a … Continue reading
The Cardinal Newman Society (see their feed on my sidebar… scroll down), which keep tabs on what is going on with Catholic higher education in these USA, has issued a statement: Cardinal Newman Society Statement Opposing Honors and Platforms for … Continue reading
Pro-abortion catholics and proponents of same-sex unions have odd company. From Life News: Satanists seek religious exemption to pro-life laws, call gay unions their ‘sacrament’ DETROIT, MI, June 10, 2014 (LifeSiteNews.com) – Whenever the American people try to curtail abortion or … Continue reading
“Oh no!”, they rush to exclaim, “We’re all about freedom! Freedom for you and for me and for… everyone! Even Catholics! We’ll never force you to marry homosexuals.” First, never accept the premise that the same-sex “marriage” issue is a matter … Continue reading
Legislatures don’t make the laws in these USA anymore. Judges nobody elected have taken over. They do whatever the hell they want in this new kritarchy. A case in point. A US District Court, Judge Barbara Crabb, struck down as … Continue reading
From the NY Daily News: Colorado baker ordered to serve gay couples vows to stop making wedding cakes This takes the cake. A Colorado baker has pledged to stop making wedding cakes after his state’s Civil Rights Commission ordered him … Continue reading
At least someone is saying it. From ZENIT: Patriarch Kirill: Violation of God’s Laws is Destroying Human Civilization Head of Russian Orthodox Church Warns Against Legislating in Favor of Same-Sex ‘Marriage’ Violating God’s laws by legislating in favor of same-sex … Continue reading
What do you think of this objective headline from Bloomberg? Wisconsin’s Criminal Gay-Marriage Ban Challenged by ACLU Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker was sued by four same-sex couples seeking the right to marry in the state and to overturn a law … Continue reading
I have been saying that the Left will turn on Pope Francis. You can already see cracks in liberal unity appearing. The catholic Left is splitting. Just start reading carefully at Fishwrap. I was sent this cartoon by Matt Bors. I … Continue reading
First, Fr. Z kudos to Bishop Thomas Paprocki of Springfield in Illinois. Bishop Paprocki reacted to the evil decision in Illinois in the way that a Catholic bishop can and ought to react: he prayed. He fought back against the … Continue reading
Bp. Paprocki seems to be a “hard identity” Catholic. We need “hard identity” Catholicism. That doesn’t mean being mean. That means being clear. “Hard identity” Catholicism doesn’t reject compassion or diplomacy or joy. That’s what liberals do. “Hard identity” Catholics … Continue reading
On the site of Legatus Magazine you can read the text of a talk given this year’s Napa Institute by His Excellency Most Reverend John Nienstedt, Archbishop of St. Paul and Minneapolis. He spoke about the family as the foundation of … Continue reading
The National Schismatic Reporter’s Michael Sean Winters continues that non-Catholic site’s onslaught on orthodox bishops. Here is a sample: My colleague Brian Roewe reported yesterday on an interview given by Bishop Thomas Paprocki of Springfield, Illinois. There is much that … Continue reading
Watching the signs of the times! From Breitbart: CHRISTIAN AIRMAN PUNISHED BY LESBIAN COMMANDER FACES POSSIBLE COURT MARTIAL Updating our earlier report on Senior Master Sergeant Phillip Monk, a Christian serving in the Air Force whose unit is now commanded … Continue reading