Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!Enter Amazon through my link, the image below (they took away our search box!), and I will get a small percentage of what you spend. (Pssst - Can't see it? Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
Here's a generic "catholic" search start point for Amazon:
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- LarryW2LJ: As Inigo Montoya would say: “Par adigm shift? You keep using those words. I do not think they mean what you think they mean.̶ 1;
- Semper Gumby: Great article by Fr. Longenecke r, a methodical and solid correction of Fr. Martin. God willing, Fr. Martin will accept at least some of the correction . Thought I’d mention...
- richiedel: I would like to tell Cdl. Cupich the following: The world teaches families to do what feels good and to be accepting of family members who do things you may not agree with, then, when...
- adriennep: HeatherPA, I feel your pain, as I’m also a rural Catholic desirous of a classical education. But rejoice, there are options now. Not only can you get a great classical education online...
- JabbaPapa: The Catholicit y is not a “par adigm̶ 1; — I also think that those who are over-using this word in recent times are mis-using it from a lack of understand ing of what it...
- Fr. Lovell: I was ordained a priest just six weeks prior to the release of “Summorum Pontificum .” I mention this because from the very beginning I have experience d the joy of the EF as well as...
- Kathleen10: Heh, just wait til Vatican II gets beatified along with Paul VI. They’ ;re making it all but illegal, and if they can make it illegal, they will. Their intentions are perfec...
- Michaelus: This is how young people can change the world! It really happened: https://ww w.heraldo. es/noticia s/ocio-cul tura/2018/ 02/14/el-p regon-sant iago-compo stela-ofen dio-virgen -del-pi...
- Henry Edwards: The “Rec tor’ s shrineR 21;??? Thanks for letting us know how cordially our NATIONAL Shrine (aka “Ame rica’ ;s church) welcomes TLM priests. Good to remem...
- Father Totton: I experience d a similar challenge recently at the Shrine. I was in DC back in October and I had requested ahead of time to offer a private Mass in the Lourdes Chapel (I didn...
- adriennep: The spectacula r G. A. Henty (spelled with a t) novels come highly recommende d by homeschool families with boys. They are written before 1900 but so dense and historical ly accurate. He...
- Lucas: jbazchicag o: He is definitely a priest looking for advancemen t, I’m sure he’l l get it sooner rather than later. Fr Z: I’m not surprised about your issues. There was...
- JamesA: “Dr. H. D’um py” ? (Insert uproarious laughter) Excellent. If His Excellency insists there is no rupture, then that means the age-old teaching of the Church is unchang...
- momoften: I homeschool . I have been for about 20 years. I am not perfect at it. I am not a teacher. I know what I do want for my kids. I want the best mass, best churches I can go to in the city I...
- Joy65: How very sad. This hurts my heart. Whether one or 1000 or more each deserves the Adoration and reverence of Our Lord. Praying that in the future this situation will be thought about ahead of...
- Fr.JP: When St JPII visited NZ in 1986 and a large outdoor Mass was held in Christchur ch at the then Lancaster Park, a similar thing happened – too many hosts consecrate d – but...
- bobbird: This was texted to me by a fellow retired teacher: Young Girl: “Dea r God, why do you permit these terrible school shootings to take place?R 21; God: “I 8217;m sorry, but...
- bcstudent: I think that there are certain evangelica l benefits from having public mega-Masse s. When roads are closed or stadiums are filled with practicing Catholics praying the Holy Mass it is a...
- Grateful to be Catholic: A Pontifical Solemn Mass according to the Missal of 1962 will be celebrated at the High Altar of the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception on April...
- David L Alexander: I understand there is a specific chapel (Our Lady of Lourdes) that is used for the TLM. It has its own very small sacristy with suitable vestments and other accoutreme nt. I...
- wmeyer: As to paper vs. Kindle, I think it an excellent idea to give real books to the children. First, because the experience of the book, and freedom from other distractio ns, is part of the...
- HeatherPA: This makes my heart sink, worrying about the Lord being subject to sacrilege because they didn’t use prudence or want to upset anyone over poor attendence ? I truly hope that His Sacred...
- John UK: Don’ t get me started, Father! 1) I understand that when JPII celebrated on Pontcanna Fields in Cardiff on his papal visit so many Hosts were over-conse crated that that they were...
- GypsyMom: My husband and I run a small homeschool “co- op” using an accredited Catholic classical curriculum . The materials are solid and trustworth y, and the students get a good...
- Semper Gumby: I agree with other commenters about reading aloud, printed books over screens at that age, and reading Tolkien first before viewing those movies. MacCheese: For a 10 year-old boy, a...
CLICK and say your daily offering!
- Of “paradigm shift” interest
- Spain: young people dancing a jota in reparation for blasphemy against the Blessed Virgin
- Mega-Masses and too many Hosts
- The State v. Self-Reliance
- LENTCAzT 2018 07 – Tuesday in the 1st Week of Lent: subtle temptation
- Attacks on the family
- My View For Awhile: Capital Edition
- Books for boys. Suggested titles and an additional point.
- LENTCAzT 2018 06 – Monday in the 1st Week of Lent: “I warned you!”
- Wherein Fr Longenecker schools @JamesMartinSJ
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- WDTPRS 1st Sunday of Lent (N.O.): The Lenten “Sacrament”
- LENTCAzT 2018 05 – 1st Sunday of Lent: Anger and Reason
- Commandments are NOT mere “ideals” from which some are excused because, “They’re tooo haaard!” Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- JUST TOO COOL – Cops, ashes, and podcasts
- VIDEO Fr. Murray and Prof. Royal on some tough issues
- LENTCAzT 2018 04 – Ash Saturday: Getting ready for… it.
- Pontifical Requiem Mass for a great lover of the Church’s sacred liturgy
- LENTCAzT 2018 03 – Ash Friday: Grant me a little more time
- Role of #MSM in mass shootings: If it bleeds, it leads. Angry @fatherz asks fearful questions
- Wherein Fr. Z rants in the wake of the Florida school mass murder
- Friday after Ash Wednesday: Feast of the Crown of Thorns
- LENTCAzT 2018 02 – Ash Thursday: What you are I was, what I am you shall be.
- Your #AshWednesday Sermon Notes #ashtag – AUDIO Fr Z
- Ash Wednesday, Fasting, Abstaining, and You – with notes on alligator, endothermic moonfish, and muskrat
- LENTCAzT 2018 01: Ash Wednesday – Unto dust thou shalt return.
- Fun with @OneMadMomBlog – BuzzFeed – Alt-Right and @SebGorka
- LENTCAzT 2018 00: Shrove Tuesday – Get out your armor, pilgrim’s shoes and cloaks
- Singing and confession – Just Too Cool!
- Writing to Fr. Z
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
A book by an old friend…
Tag Archives: same-sex unions
Two items concerning Philadelphia’s Archbishop Charles Chaput have come across my scree in the last few hours.
First, today I received PDF (PDFs are clunky) of a column that that Archbp. Chaput wrote for their archdiocesan newspaper. In this column, the … Continue reading
In the lead up (already) to next October’s Synod, the continuation of last October’s wild ride with its bizarre rules, backroom maneuvers, and strange proposals, Africa (pace Card. Kasper) is coming into its own.
I saw this at the National Catholic … Continue reading
Certain elements in the Church are lately emboldened. They have sensed that they have a window of opportunity. The iron is heating and they are striking.
Today we read of a bishop in Belgium who has been touted as, perhaps, the … Continue reading
Any one who looks at Catholic stuff on these interwebs today (and for the near future) is going to be inundated with Synod stuff.
We have to be wary.
Do you remember that, just before Benedict XVI abdicated, during an audience he … Continue reading
My friend Fr. Martin Fox of the blog Bonfire of the Vanities has a great post.
‘Gay marriage’ is church suicide
Give into the Zeitgeist? Not a plan of success:
Episcopal Church: -18% (2002-2012) [that “-” means “minus”, as in “smaller by]”
United Church … Continue reading
From a reader…
I am invited to my Aunt’s wedding ceremony to her same-sex partner. My family has in the past received conflicting advice from parish priest’s on the issue. One said skip the ceremony and go to the reception; another … Continue reading
It is hard to know which box to check:
? tragically ignorant
? mendaciously obtuse
We have seen antinomianism rear its dangerous head in many scenarios now: those who are bound to uphold and enforce the law simply deciding sua sponte that they … Continue reading
From the Oregonian:
Portland Archdiocese joins anti-gay marriage effort; lay group plans Ash Wednesday action
Since Pope Francis began his reign as the head of the Catholic Church a year ago, he’s sounded a more welcoming tone toward gays. [Their effort to … Continue reading
Conversations I have had lead me to conclude that Pres. Obama is waging a war against Catholic military chaplains.
The Archbishop for the Military Services in these USA has issued directives about Catholic chaplains and same-sex unions.
Read the whole thing HERE … Continue reading
Have you been following the controversy in Columbus?
Your readers should stand up to support Bp. Campbell.
Friends, this is going to happen more and more often. We are going to see myriad harassment cases in the courts, relentlessly attacking every entity … Continue reading
Bishops and priests… pay attention!
On EWTN I read:
The Oregon state attorney general’s office is investigating a Christian baker who declined to make a wedding cake for a same-sex couple.
Aaron Klein, owner of the Gresham, Ore. bakery Sweet Cakes by Melissa, … Continue reading
From Catholic World News:
Theologians blast US bishops on same-sex marriage
Three theologians who teach at Jesuit institutions [Jesuit schools again … what a surprise…] –Paul Lakeland of Fairfield University, Daniel Maguire of Marquette University, and Frank Parella of Santa Clara University [WHO? … Continue reading
Pelosi: Her Catholic Faith ‘Compels’ Her to Support Same-Sex Marriage
By Christopher Goins
May 10, 2012
Subscribe to Christopher Goins’s posts
(CNSNews.com) – House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) said Thursday that her Catholic faith “compels” her to “be against discrimination of any … Continue reading
On the site of The Hill we read that during the upcoming Democrat convention, in which they will re-nominate the Evolver-in-Chief, the dems will try to insert a plank in the platform, probably the lower part of the platform, calling for … Continue reading
The UN is trying to create a new category of human rights. We have been across this ground before (HERE and HERE).
That right, pushed by the UN, is freedom from discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation or gender. Ostensibly, … Continue reading
I note with interest at the National Catholic Register (the Catholic one) that the bishops of New Jersey have issued a statement about same-sex “marriage”.
New Jersey Bishops Release New Statement on Marriage
Same-sex ‘marriage’ ‘is not marriage and should not be … Continue reading
I guess the next time I head across the pond to England (after Christmas, by the way, if everything works out the way I hope – blognic?) and have the chance to make supper for priest friends, I won’t be … Continue reading
You have seen the feeble attempt of some defenders of homosexual acts to equate the efforts of those who want unnatural “unions” to be recognize in law as if they were marriages with the civil rights racial efforts of the … Continue reading