Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- mibethda: The Mass paten does appear to have been consecrate d in the ‘Mid dle Ages’ ;. see Guilielmus Durandus, Rationale Divinorum Officiorum , Book I, Chapter 8, Par.24: 24. Further...
- JesusFreak84: Even if Francis was TEH BEST POPE EVAH, that kind of remark is foolish. Some things you just don’ t joke about, and some things certain people just shouldn 217;t ever joke...
- JesusFreak84: Our priests have begun to go as “bla nd” and “gen eric” ; as the EF lectionary could allow. I wouldnR 17;t be surprised if the actions of our Cardina...
- Roy Hobbs: FatherR 30; you sure do get around! And what a lovely picture of MSP. Safe travels.
- Ultrarunner: Apparently , it’s far easier to cede papal authority and recognitio n to an athiestic communist state formed in the 20th century than to do so with Christian based denominati ons...
- MissBee: So bad, but so good! And it made me think of this – Vince Lombardi as St. Vince Lombardi (or as I would say, “Vin cent Lombardi of Green Bay). Not entirely improbable , is...
- Fr Martin Fox: My homily title was, “Det achment: what it is, why we need it and how to gain it.” I also talked about Flannery O’Co nnor’ ;s idea of grace not necessaril y...
- FN: Can one think of any occasion on which one would actually say, out loud, “I am the d…” I can’t even type it. I am sure Fr Z wouldn’t. Would any of us? “I’m just a poor sinner” would seem...
- FN: Judging by his behavior Augustus was a complete rotter. A classic example of how the Lord can bring good out of the deeds of the worst men.
- Michael Haz: “ 230;..repo rt for psychiatri c counseling and perhaps confinemen t… 8221; Soviet-era tyranny courtesy of Cdl Chipich. Those accused of wrongthink must be institu...
- TonyO: And, by the way: in all that, a priest should be automatica lly disqualifi ed from considerat ion if the bishop receives from the people letters about him that he does not teach ortho...
- David WS: Contracept ion http://www .therealpr esence.org /archives/ Chastity/C hastity_00 4.htm – is fatal to the Faith. First, widespread contracept ion and unbelief in the Real Presence go...
- TonyO: It’s my understand ing that in medieval times the Kings of England chose who would be bishops in their realm and the pope had little to do with it. The kings of France also claimed rights of...
- JustaSinner: Only the Dark One would utter the truth in this instance?
- JonPatrick: @semperGum by, unfortunat ely the Cubs will lose to the Red Sox in game 5 of the World Series as Chris Sale repeating his stellar performanc e in game 1 at Fenway Park, mows down the...
- Gab: Bon voyage, Fr Z. Wish you a most excellent journey.
- JonPatrick: It is not “con servatives ” that are upset at Pope Francis. It is Catholics who love their Church and believe what the Church teaches. The Church is not a Parliament with...
- JonPatrick: The betrayal of the Chinese Catholics has convinced me that there is truly a diabolical element at work in our Church. No one can believe they are truly that naive to believe the...
- uptoncp: A mediaeval English vacancy in see typically resulted in a three way tussle as King, Pope, and Cathedral Chapter all claimed the right to nominate, and any one of the three might win. At...
- tamranthor: Cupich is putting the lie to the old “wis dom” about the Catholic Church persecutin g homosexual s. He has certainly turned the tables. Now it is the faithful who are...
- Fr_Andrew: Gloves are primarily to avoid soiling the metal which often takes fingerprin ts, but not to facilitate the touching of sacred vessels. Clerics and those who have charge of the vessels...
- Augustine Thompson O.P.: Oh, to be clear, I should have made explicit that the carrying of the Host on the paten to communicat e friars at a Private Mass is a post-1800 phenomenon . In the pre-mo...
- maternalView: Bless Fr. Kalchik! CupichR 17;s letter is revealing himself for what he is. While this must be extremely hard for Fr. Kalchik it is a good thing because it’s unmask...
- mibethda: There is a distinctio n between a chalice and paten, which are consecrate d only by a bishop or other person with the faculty to do so (see Canon 1169, CCL), and a ciborium, pyx or...
- Augustine Thompson O.P.: Mr. WmHesch and Mr. Mcferran 8217;s posts reflect my understand ing. In the Dominican Rite, the ministers and friars receive(d) on the altar steps using a communion cloth...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- When they claim “Clericalism!”, they really mean #sodoclericalism
- My View For Awhile: Humidity Edition
- ASK FATHER: Is a Communion plate or paten a “sacred vessel”?
- OCTOBER – ROME – Annual #SumPont2018 Pilgrimage
- Thanks to Augustus on his birthday and to the Cohors Italicus
- If government leaders in China can now choose bishops, then in these USA…
- Francis trades quips with Polish photographer in Vilnius
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- Archbp. Chaput of @ArchPhilly on upcoming Synod’s working document. Concerns.
- UPDATE – @ArchChicago parish burns a “rainbow flag”
- THIS IS WAR! Wherein Fr. Z calls on bishops and priests to FIGHT BACK as priests and bishops!
- Akita, Communion in the hand, and homosexuality
- Card. Zen on the “Provisional Agreement” with the PRC on Bishops
- WDTPRS – 25th Ordinary Sunday: Each love fuels the other, when love of God is first.
- VIDEO: Fr. Murray on aspects of The Present Crisis
- ASK FATHER: Adding water to Holy Water
- ASK FATHER: If in letters Benedict XVI imparts still the Apostolic Blessing…
- A story of spectacular complexity, involving shady people, huge money, interlocking directorates, vast loans, and the Papal Foundation.
- One Mad Mom spanks James Martin, LGBTSJ – UPDATED
- Bishop R. Walker Nickless of Sioux City on #ViganoTestimony
- And now a word from our sponsor…
- BOOKS RECEIVED: Vatican I: The Council and the Making of the Ultramontane Church
- The upcoming Synod’s “working document”
- ASK FATHER: Should we pray for or against the success of the Synod?
- What passes for important today.
- YOU are other people. It’s always someone else… until it’s YOU.
- ASK FATHER: Are we are in the End Times?
- Fr. Murray’s Open Letter to ex-Card. McCarrick. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- Cri de Coeur about lost innocence and The Present Crisis
- Card. Müller: “the real danger to today’s humanity is the greenhouse gases of sin and the global warming of unbelief”
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Tag Archives: same-sex unions
Two items concerning Philadelphia’s Archbishop Charles Chaput have come across my scree in the last few hours.
First, today I received PDF (PDFs are clunky) of a column that that Archbp. Chaput wrote for their archdiocesan newspaper. In this column, the … Continue reading
In the lead up (already) to next October’s Synod, the continuation of last October’s wild ride with its bizarre rules, backroom maneuvers, and strange proposals, Africa (pace Card. Kasper) is coming into its own.
I saw this at the National Catholic … Continue reading
Certain elements in the Church are lately emboldened. They have sensed that they have a window of opportunity. The iron is heating and they are striking.
Today we read of a bishop in Belgium who has been touted as, perhaps, the … Continue reading
Any one who looks at Catholic stuff on these interwebs today (and for the near future) is going to be inundated with Synod stuff.
We have to be wary.
Do you remember that, just before Benedict XVI abdicated, during an audience he … Continue reading
My friend Fr. Martin Fox of the blog Bonfire of the Vanities has a great post.
‘Gay marriage’ is church suicide
Give into the Zeitgeist? Not a plan of success:
Episcopal Church: -18% (2002-2012) [that “-” means “minus”, as in “smaller by]”
United Church … Continue reading
From a reader…
I am invited to my Aunt’s wedding ceremony to her same-sex partner. My family has in the past received conflicting advice from parish priest’s on the issue. One said skip the ceremony and go to the reception; another … Continue reading
It is hard to know which box to check:
? tragically ignorant
? mendaciously obtuse
We have seen antinomianism rear its dangerous head in many scenarios now: those who are bound to uphold and enforce the law simply deciding sua sponte that they … Continue reading
From the Oregonian:
Portland Archdiocese joins anti-gay marriage effort; lay group plans Ash Wednesday action
Since Pope Francis began his reign as the head of the Catholic Church a year ago, he’s sounded a more welcoming tone toward gays. [Their effort to … Continue reading
Conversations I have had lead me to conclude that Pres. Obama is waging a war against Catholic military chaplains.
The Archbishop for the Military Services in these USA has issued directives about Catholic chaplains and same-sex unions.
Read the whole thing HERE … Continue reading
Have you been following the controversy in Columbus?
Your readers should stand up to support Bp. Campbell.
Friends, this is going to happen more and more often. We are going to see myriad harassment cases in the courts, relentlessly attacking every entity … Continue reading
Bishops and priests… pay attention!
On EWTN I read:
The Oregon state attorney general’s office is investigating a Christian baker who declined to make a wedding cake for a same-sex couple.
Aaron Klein, owner of the Gresham, Ore. bakery Sweet Cakes by Melissa, … Continue reading
From Catholic World News:
Theologians blast US bishops on same-sex marriage
Three theologians who teach at Jesuit institutions [Jesuit schools again … what a surprise…] –Paul Lakeland of Fairfield University, Daniel Maguire of Marquette University, and Frank Parella of Santa Clara University [WHO? … Continue reading
Pelosi: Her Catholic Faith ‘Compels’ Her to Support Same-Sex Marriage
By Christopher Goins
May 10, 2012
Subscribe to Christopher Goins’s posts
(CNSNews.com) – House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) said Thursday that her Catholic faith “compels” her to “be against discrimination of any … Continue reading
On the site of The Hill we read that during the upcoming Democrat convention, in which they will re-nominate the Evolver-in-Chief, the dems will try to insert a plank in the platform, probably the lower part of the platform, calling for … Continue reading