Not to be missed…
Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- aiello01: The image of the cross standing bright at the altar, and everything else blackened and charred, says it all. It is a metaphor for what our priorities should be in Christiani ty.
- KAS: UPDATE: well, van got fixed, everything fell into place. I think my 9 yr old was praying to get to go on this campout and trumped my hoping to avoid it. Van is packed and the weather is...
- iPadre: Both sadness and joy. My father was called home by the Lord on Holy Thursday morning. Born on the eve of Our Lord’ ;s birth, died on the eve of Our Lord’ ;s death. Today, I...
- JamesA: OORAH for Notre Dame Seminary ! Archbishop Aymond, a good man but no fan of Latin or tradition, was very pastoral in allowing this. He is pretty generous that way.
- Sword40: My wife and I have followed the 1962 calendar since we joined our FSSP parish 10 years ago. First at North American MartyrR 17;s in Seattle and now at St. JosephR 17;s just south of...
- L.: Not too many years ago I was told in confession by a Monsignor (a “My Lord,̶ 1; that is) that “we used to believe in that,̶ 1; i.e. abstinence or some other observance on...
- Volanges: When the Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops issued its norms on the new code of Canon Law, it did not distinguis h between the Fridays of Lent and the rest of the Fridays; we are...
- UncleBlobb: Dear Father Z., I sincerely congratula te you and the Dioceses of Madison on your new bishop! Good for you! Please say a prayer that good things may happen – and maybe likely...
- JesusFreak84: I thought of Cardinal Pell with that prayer at the end =-(
- Charivari Rob: It was a nice Holy Week and Easter Sunday, bookended at our own parish and visiting several others along the way. Got to the Cathedral for Good Friday – saw the results of...
- notenoughflair: In an ideal world, if I had the choice to propose a true Guild composed of all women of the parish, I would have it be a combinatio n of a Spiritual Motherhood themed prayer and...
- Roy Hobbs: Mrs. Hobbs and I have been doing our best to go meatless on Fridays for the past three years or so. We started doing this upon (actually) learning (on our own) essentiall y what Can....
- Kenneth Wolfe: It may be of interest for a little history on Easter Friday abstinence . Prior to the new (current) code of canon law, abstinence was mandatory on (among other days) every Friday of...
- Aquinas Gal: I don’ t understand why one would need to ask a priest for a dispensati on, since at least in the US the bishops have already done that in law. I know the idea was to make it a...
- lgreen515: On Tuesday of Holy Week I made a pilgrimage to Wheeling, WV to venerate the relic of St. John Vianney. I saw the solemn procession and sang Matins with the congregati on. It was very...
- Chris Garton-Zavesky: I am very pleased to be told there is no cause for alarm by someone whose judgment is reliable in other matters, such as the idea that we need to have good liturgy done well....
- Animadversor: May I charitably wonder if that much of the difficulty that the Church finds Herself in comes from perhaps less than elevated intellectu al standards used in the selection of prospe...
- Anon Seminarian: @Anita Moore, O.P.(lay) One reason why bishops are often not chosen from their own dioceses is that “no prophet is welcome in their native place.R 21; An ordinary who is...
- Jerome Charles: From all I’ve read, and hearing him address the press conference today, Bishop Hying seems to be very pastoral, humble, intelligen t, Gospel-cen tered, and a strong servant...
- Ame E.: This Easter marked my 20th year as a Catholic. Time flies. Last night we got to venerate St. Jean Vianney 217;s relic at St. Paul’ ;s Cathedral. Ran into many familiar faces,...
- youngcatholicgirl: The flowers are blooming, the trees are green. Our statues were veiled progressiv ely over the first few days of Passion week. The Sunday morning Masses for Palm Sunday saw...
- hwriggles4: I recall that Bishop Hying was a big help in restructur ing some things at St. Francis Seminary in Milwaukee after 2002. His efforts (I heard) were worthwhile pursuits. At 58 years old,...
- MissBee: Glad to hear good news :) Some years ago I subscribed to the Diocese of Gary’ ;s email list, not sure what prompted it, but must have been something good! Deo gratias!
- AA Cunningham: NBC: “But isn’t that the Catechism of the Catholic Church?” Par for the course for what passes as a journalist in the contempora ry DLEMM – Dominant Liberal Establishm ent Mass...
- tigger: I am hopeful, because that is always the best option to keep my interior peace. https://fa ithfulshep herds.com has him solidly pro-life, but without any strong *submitted * evidence on...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- An interlude… from today’s Matins
- VIDEO @EricMetaxas on what’s important
- ASK FATHER: Eating meat on Friday during the Octave of Easter
- Happy feedback and a note about donations
- GOOD NEWS! 5th Bishop of Madison appointed!
- PASCHALCAzT 51 – Easter Thursday: Hell grasped a corpse, and met God.
- Your Good News
- A lesson in “selective aggression”
- A Cardinal on the ropes of logic
- PASCHALCAzT 50 – Easter Wednesday: You are a holy seed, a new colony of bees, the very flower of my ministry
- Fr. Z seeks advice about women
- A few Easter Vigil moments – UPDATES
- News from Norcia! Benedictines, beauty and beer
- Card. Piacenza to priests: “Wanna be a modern priest? HEAR CONFESSIONS!” Whereupon Fr. Z really rants.
- PASCHALCAzT 49 – Easter Tuesday: Christ won it, but we can lose it
- CQ CQ CQ – #HamRadio Tuesday: ZedNet reminder
- ASK FATHER: A 12 year old asks ” #EarthDay is coming up…”
- ASK FATHER: How to receive Communion on the tongue?
- ASK FATHER: Father used the blessing for a train when blessing my car
- PASCHALCAzT 48 – Easter Monday: Year by year by year
- Wonderful wonderful photo
- It pays to be attentive, especially when you are really tired!
- Your Easter Sunday Sermon Notes
- VIDEO: Fr. Murray on bombings, Easter and our Catholic identity
- PASCHALCAzT 47 – Easter Sunday: Leave the shrouds in the tomb
- ACTION ITEM: Help for a traditional Catholic seminarian continues! – UPDATED… for EASTER!
- Benedict XVI on the Paschal Candle
- WDTPRS and AUDIO: The Exsultet – explained, translated, sung
- JUST TOO COOL: Fr. Z kudos to Our Lady’s Bees! They survived the fire #NDParis
- LENTCAzT 2019 46 – Holy Saturday: The Harrowing of Hell
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Tag Archives: same-sex unions
Two items concerning Philadelphia’s Archbishop Charles Chaput have come across my scree in the last few hours. First, today I received PDF (PDFs are clunky) of a column that that Archbp. Chaput wrote for their archdiocesan newspaper. In this column, … Continue reading
In the lead up (already) to next October’s Synod, the continuation of last October’s wild ride with its bizarre rules, backroom maneuvers, and strange proposals, Africa (pace Card. Kasper) is coming into its own. I saw this at the National … Continue reading
Certain elements in the Church are lately emboldened. They have sensed that they have a window of opportunity. The iron is heating and they are striking. Today we read of a bishop in Belgium who has been touted as, perhaps, … Continue reading
Any one who looks at Catholic stuff on these interwebs today (and for the near future) is going to be inundated with Synod stuff. We have to be wary. Do you remember that, just before Benedict XVI abdicated, during an … Continue reading
My friend Fr. Martin Fox of the blog Bonfire of the Vanities has a great post. ‘Gay marriage’ is church suicide Give into the Zeitgeist? Not a plan of success: Membership Episcopal Church: -18% (2002-2012) [that “-” means “minus”, as … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: I am invited to my Aunt’s wedding ceremony to her same-sex partner. My family has in the past received conflicting advice from parish priest’s on the issue. One said skip the ceremony and go to the … Continue reading
It is hard to know which box to check: ? tragically ignorant ? mendaciously obtuse We have seen antinomianism rear its dangerous head in many scenarios now: those who are bound to uphold and enforce the law simply deciding sua … Continue reading
From the Oregonian: Portland Archdiocese joins anti-gay marriage effort; lay group plans Ash Wednesday action Since Pope Francis began his reign as the head of the Catholic Church a year ago, he’s sounded a more welcoming tone toward gays. [Their … Continue reading
Conversations I have had lead me to conclude that Pres. Obama is waging a war against Catholic military chaplains. The Archbishop for the Military Services in these USA has issued directives about Catholic chaplains and same-sex unions. Read the whole … Continue reading
Have you been following the controversy in Columbus? Your readers should stand up to support Bp. Campbell. Friends, this is going to happen more and more often. We are going to see myriad harassment cases in the courts, relentlessly attacking … Continue reading
Bishops and priests… pay attention! On EWTN I read: The Oregon state attorney general’s office is investigating a Christian baker who declined to make a wedding cake for a same-sex couple. Aaron Klein, owner of the Gresham, Ore. bakery Sweet … Continue reading
From Catholic World News: Theologians blast US bishops on same-sex marriage Three theologians who teach at Jesuit institutions [Jesuit schools again … what a surprise…] –Paul Lakeland of Fairfield University, Daniel Maguire of Marquette University, and Frank Parella of Santa Clara … Continue reading
From CNS: Pelosi: Her Catholic Faith ‘Compels’ Her to Support Same-Sex Marriage [wp_youtube]xjo03WLTl3Y[/wp_youtube] By Christopher Goins May 10, 2012 Subscribe to Christopher Goins’s posts (CNSNews.com) – House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) said Thursday that her Catholic faith “compels” her … Continue reading
On the site of The Hill we read that during the upcoming Democrat convention, in which they will re-nominate the Evolver-in-Chief, the dems will try to insert a plank in the platform, probably the lower part of the platform, calling for … Continue reading