Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Fr. Kelly: HvonBlumen thal Re: ius it seems to me undeniable that the later renderings of ius as “rig ht” have their origins in earlier uses of it as “law ”. It is that...
- Charivari Rob: …Eri c Idle and Robbie Coltrane being an entirely different category, of course.
- Charivari Rob: Argument Clinician, thank you. After Father Z’s remark, I went back to look for the article I had originally seen. I can’ t remember which site it was, but it had a photo...
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: Semper Gumby says: Tracer Bullet I looked for him today at the usual secret drop place (near the hot dog stand). He must have gone to pick up more heaters. Maybe Friday, same...
- Anita Moore, O.P.(lay): We had a prominent member of that religious order in my area who was a big-time advocate for women priests, and specifical ly, for the view that it was wrong for the Church...
- Anita Moore, O.P.(lay): I read somewhere that, on account of its structural integrity, butter lettuce makes a highly effective hamburger bun (for those of us who need to not eat (ordinary) bread).
- FrAnt: In another post, Fr. Z. notes a LifeSite interview with Cardinal Muller where the Cardinal notes that some are trying to make “hom osexuals 8221; a third species next to men and...
- LarryW2LJ: During the first week of our Advent Bible study, my ears perked up when it was mentioned that it was 21 centuries between the Call of Abraham and the birth of Jesus. and now it̵...
- scotus: This story made the front page of a British newspaper. I can’ t remember which one but it was a tabloid.
- Legisperitus: Apropos of that, this is pretty cool: https://ww w.lifesite news.com/n ews/archeo logists-so dom-and-go morrah-lit erally-des troyed-by- fire-and-b rimstone
- Semper Gumby: Back in the 1970s a Leftist nun spent most of her time writing and distributi ng unhinged screeds against men. When asked why she didn’ ;t leave the Church she replied: Because...
- monstrance: Oh, I guess we do have one brave Shepherd – But he went into hidingR 30;..
- monstrance: Joe, Whatever happened to the “Fraternal Correction ” ? Pray for just one brave Shepherd.
- Semper Gumby: Glad to hear Fr. Z made it to Fr. MurrayR 17;s dinner in time and is enjoying NYC. That image above might not be the Uber network map. It seems to be a satellite photo of Tracer...
- DonL: Let’ s face the hard facts. These wagering ladies were really gambling on where they’ ;ll spend eternity. Deep faith in not getting caught is hardly Church teaching.
- MaHrad: I was there (at the pontifical Mass)! It was BEAUTIFUL! My husband is deployed and may or may not have almost cried when he heard about the Mass and realized that he would have to miss it....
- Albinus: Thank you for this post, Father. The knowledge of Latin among the clergy, at least from my experience , is truly abysmal, which is such a shame. But the good news is that it can be learn...
- Glennonite: Yes; every word, exactly. Thank you.
- Julia_Augusta: Always have the Lyft app on your phone as an alternativ e. Most drivers use Uber and Lyft.
- benedetta: I have been listening every morning. Thank you for these, Father.
- Suburbanbanshee: Borscht is so good! And heck, beets also fight inflammati on, helps your blood move oxygen and get iron, etc. So your body was telling you something very sensible when it asked for...
- moon1234: Would love to hear some samples!
- HvonBlumenthal: Fr Kelly, Im afraid you are more hip than I am, Im simply not up to speed on the latest meaning of munus. Im not sure I agree about ius, however. I think that the definition given...
- HvonBlumenthal: JonPatrick : even the breach under Edward VI could have been overcome under the influence of the Oxford Movement by way of the irregular but valid apostolic lines of various vagante...
- RKR: Cafepress also has Viganò bumper stickers, T-shirts and such, all with the correct diacritic. I made lots of borscht this summer with a bumper crop of beets from my garden. It is not only...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- Holy Face of Manoppello, Sankt Gallen, “designer babies”
- Card. Müller’s interview about Church and theology in Germany
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 11: Hark! a gladsome voice is thrilling
- TERRIFIC! School Choir accomplished, back to back, Solemn Roman and Eastern liturgy!
- NYC Day 1: Of Borscht and Buttons
- “If only women were in leadership positions…”
- Anglicans to mock baptism with transgender ceremony
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 10: If a liturgy looks silly, you can close your eyes. But if it sounds silly…
- A priest’s thought after going ‘ad orientem’
- Priests and Latin. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- My View For Awhile: ”Festina Lente” Edition
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 09: Proper Marian Devotion
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- Of getting Latin wrong, corrections, and of priests and their Latin or lack thereof
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 08: Egocentrics and God’s gifts
- A conflicted Fishwrap v. Francis on homosexuals in seminary and priesthood
- On this day in 2005 …
- Help a young entrepreneur!
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 07: “If she had not given her ‘Fiat!’…”
- 7 Dec – Titanic, intriguing St Ambrose of Milan, bishop and doctor
- UPDATE on injuries and recovery with heartfelt thanks
- Solemn Requiem for @BishopMorlino in @MadisonDiocese
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 06: Our Lord will appear in His humanity so that He can be seen by the just and the wicked
- VIDEO – Funeral of @BishopMorlino of @MadisonDiocese
- Latin Mass Society of England & Wales @latinmassuk – Re-upping!
- Recent Registration
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 05: The priest, John the Baptist, points toward Jesus
- New art from Daniel MITSUI – great gift idea
- After the funeral of @BishopMorlino of @MadisonDiocese
- ASK FATHER: Can we cook with or drink Holy Water?
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Tag Archives: SCOTUS
According to accounts, 85-yr old Justice Ruth Bader Ginsberg had a fall, broke some ribs, and is not in the hospital.
While one mustn’t wish ill on another, it could be that this episode might prompt in the Justice some thoughts … Continue reading
I’m entirely convinced that this blog is badly treated by Google.
Google Staff Reacts to Kavanaugh: ‘F—. YOU. ALL. TO. HELL.’
It’s hard to believe that people with political agendas are capable of building unbiased products. Google certainly faces that test.
After … Continue reading
From PJMedia comes this insightful comment on the Left:
Kavanaugh Foes Fill Senate Gallery With Sounds of the Insane
I’ll charm the air to give a sound,
While you perform your antic round.
I was in the Senate gallery this afternoon when Justice … Continue reading
@JamesMartinSJ close association with “comedian” whose writer is “glad we ruined Brett Kavanaugh’s life”
Homosexualist activist and Jesuit Fr. James Martin, LGBTSJ, calls himself the “Show Chaplain” for the execrable and only occasionally amusing Stephen Colbert. HERE and HERE
Here’s something for the “Show Chaplain” to Colbert Report, Colbert’s former show before taking over a new … Continue reading
Yesterday I watched the Kavanaugh Senate hearing. There were some important moments, including the fact that Kavanaugh arrived wearing his game face and Sen. Graham gave the Dems a piece of his mind. Turning points, both.
Amusing moments: Sen. Whitehouse … Continue reading
UPDATE 7 Sept
I am watching the third day of hearings for SCOTUS nominee Judge Kavanaugh. Today there are panels, with members pro and con his approval by the Senate. I thought that the previous two days were going to have … Continue reading
On this 150th anniversary of the 14th Amendment, the smears against newly nominated Judge Kavanaugh have begun.
BTW… it doesn’t matter that the Left knows that that has nothing to do with Roe v. Wade: that issue always whips up lots … Continue reading
Anti-Catholicism is the last acceptable prejudice.
Check out the WSJ piece about the group to which Judge Amy Coney Barrett belongs.
Originally Published on: Jun 29, 2018
I’ve been looking at the list of the SCOTUS candidates from which the POTUS … Continue reading
Well… one of the shoes dropped. Justice Anthony Kennedy announced his retirement.
Pres. Donald Trump gets to nominate a second Justice.
We have to dust off his list of SCOTUS candidates.
This is amazing.
Think about it. How many huge decisions were made about … Continue reading
Some time ago I asked you to pray during oral arguments before the SCOTUS concerning a 1st Amendment case from California, which tried to force pregnancy centers to provide abortion information. HERE In other words, they tried to force pro-life … Continue reading
Looking At Danger: Justice Kennedy, SCOTUS, and Masterpiece Cakeshop v. Colorado Civil Rights Commission
Today at Crisis there is a good summary piece about the complicity of catholic Justice Anthony Kennedy with the secularist Left and about the recent SCOTUS decision in the matter of Masterpiece Cakeshop, LTD v. Colorado Civil Rights Commission, which probably left … Continue reading
UPDATE 20 March:
Link to the transcript of the oral arguments for the good guys. HERE
Originally Published on: Mar 19, 2018
Can the government force Christian pro-life centers to advertise taxpayer-funded abortions? California says they can.
That’s the essential question the US Supreme Court will … Continue reading
At Crisis there is a masterful explanation of the most recent US Supreme Court decision which upheld (7-2) religious liberty.
On days like today, we need some GOOD news.
I won’t do anything with it here. You should go there and read … Continue reading
As the Gorsuch Trials continue, this comes from the often amusing Eye of the Tiber:
Catechumen nominee Neil Schlesing said that “no man is above canon law” when pressed on whether Pope Francis could allow divorced and remarried Catholics to receive communion.
It was … Continue reading
The Archbishop of Kansas City, Kansas, His Excellency Most Rev. Joseph Naumann, issued some thoughts about the candidates in the upcoming – important – presidential election. Writing about Dem VP candidate and catholic quisling Tim Kaine (who spent time where Naumann is … Continue reading