Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Click the image below (they took away our search box!). Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend. (Pssst - Can't see it? Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
Here's Fr. Z's
"catholic" search for Amazon:
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- robtbrown: Should be: I do, however, agree with Fr Jim on the notion of “fasting” from Communio.
- Timothy: I’m surprised it was not St. Francis Xavier parish, being a Jesuit parish. The stories and abuses I could tell you about in the 70’s and 80’s. The Spirit of Vatican II was strong at St....
- Fr. Kelly: John Grammaticu s I am afraid the vitriol in your post and your professed willingnes s to judge a venerable Pontifical Order of Knighthood on your interactio n with two of their members...
- ChrisP: former> JesuitR 30;.. Wow. Is Schutte that bad? [Under the right circumstan ces, that could be a plus.]
- Kathleen10: Oh, the very people who chide others in their “jud ging” ; are fearless about judging those on the other side of the fence. Apparently the incredible irony is lost. This...
- John Grammaticus: Dear Geoffrey I am aware of the Order̵ 7;s history, my point that the Order̵ 7;s hierarchy are all supposedly ‘blu e bloodsR 17; who are desperate to hold onto...
- Geoffrey: “Who cares? The Order of Malta is just a bunch of European Aristocrat s in denial over their increasing irrelevanc e.” That is a grossly uninformed or misinforme d stateme...
- maternalView: Last year a parish near me sponsored a concert by Schutte. I was thought it was laughable. I thought who’ d go to that? But apparently it was well attended. This is a parish...
- seashoreknits: Prayer to St. Joseph: check. Our parish continues to suffer torment with the 1987 edition of Glory and Praise filling every pew. Or maybe its just me.
- Discerning Altar Boy: I recently attended a parish mission given by my chaplain. It was so powerful to see the priests confess to one another before going to their posts to hear the faithfu...
- ChiaraDiAssisi: Thank you for informing us.
- robtbrown: frjim4321 says: The notion of “fasting” from the sacraments seems to be coming back, and not only from the left side of the house. Some of the homeschool ers that attend mass here “fast”...
- David: Surely the bottom line is that earlier the Vatican orchestrat ed a coup in which it took over the governing of the Knights while allowing a hand-picke ted puppet collaborat or. So curious...
- Semper Gumby: Diabolical , and prayers to St. Michael and other Saints indeed. Carrie wrote: “May be it’s a huge income source for the archdioces e, and not so easy to shut down for that...
- cengime: @Ave Crux: 1. Whether someone with a debilitati ng illness that will not kill them should not receive the sacrament? I say yes, they should not. Florence, Trent, and Vatican II have all...
- Midwest St. Michael: “Per haps all those people at our Spanish language Masses who don’t come up to communion are also feeling a smug superiorit y? I never thought of that!̶ 1; Heh. Good...
- Mike: Requested a traditiona l Mass through Operation Mission Stipends of the National Coalition of Clergy and Laity.
- Antonin: I mean in MY younger years̷ 0;women were all same age as me in 20’s and 30’s
- PTK_70: @Thorfinn& #8230;..Ju st as is the case with popular expression s of piety, I have a notion that Christian fellowship can take a variety of different forms, depending on circumstan ces,...
- Chaswjd: The content of the teaching merely confirms the adage “lex credenda, lex orandi. 221; While this is from years past, I have no informatio n that things have changed: https:/...
- benedetta: Homeschool ers are always a great blessing and asset to any parish. It’s wonderful when they are welcomed in charity by their priests and appreciate d. So much good comes out of...
- Antonin: Yes men need to stand up and especially for their sons. And Donald Trump for his bluster is a terrible representa tive of responsibi lity. Cheating on wives with porn actresses, joking...
- majuscule: I don’ t know if frjim4321 can read minds or not but he seems to know that people who observe a Wednesday “com munion fast” ; —hom eschoolers who observe a ̶...
- The Masked Chicken: The wording of the 1917 CIC and 1983 CIC are pretty similar as to when the anointing may be received, even though the understand ing of the Sacrament has become more nuanced in...
- AA Cunningham: “Tru th is treason in an empire of lies.̶ 1; Orwell With regard to Cardinal Burke: Card. Burke speaks up and His Eminence is scheduled to deliver a keynote speech at the...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- WDTPRS – Palm Sunday: example that transforms
- LENTCAzT 2018 39 – Saturday – 5th Week of Lent, Passiontide: When God seems to be asleep
- Fishwrap attacks @BpJamesJohnston of @DioceseKCSJ for stopping controversial concert
- 2018 Paschal Blue Moon on Vigil of Easter and more Moon stuff
- ACTION ITEM: Masses to rescue Lea Sharibu held by evil Islamic Boko Haram
- LENTCAzT 2018 38 – Friday – 5th Week of Lent, Passiontide: The happiness of heaven
- Levity, Severity, the Confessional and YOU!
- Tucker Carlson’s series on plight of men in America, disastrous consequences for society
- ASK FATHER: Effect of Sacrament of Anointing in someone in mortal sin
- Really Bad Idea: sand in holy water fonts during Lent
- Author of The Dictator Pope suspended from the Order of Malta
- LENTCAzT 2018 37 – Thursday – 5th Week of Lent, Passiontide: “The Easter problem is not….”
- How bad was the Three Days of Darkness this year?
- UPDATE – JUST TOO COOL! Battle Flag of LEPANTO reproduction available!
- Fishwrap’s Wile E. Coyote v. @DouthatNYT and his new book for Pope Francis’ 5th anniversary
- The Extraordinary Form “raises the bar”
- Lettergate produces a casualty: Msgr. Viganò. Well… not quite.
- LENTCAzT 2018 36 – Wednesday – 5th Week of Lent, Passiontide: It’s madness!
- ROME – 7 April – Conference: “Catholic Church, Where Are You Going?”
- UPDATE & ACTION ITEM for St. John Cantius in Chicago – @SJCantius
- “Not so fast!”, says the damned soul. “Amoris laetitia says,…”.
- LENTCAzT 2018 35 – Tuesday – 5th Week of Lent, Passiontide: “Have mercy on me, at least you, my friends!”
- UPDATE on ACTION ITEM! Pray for important pro-life SCOTUS case! Arguments on 20 March.
- A charming 15th century view of St. Joseph
- My View For Awhile: Northward
- Author of “The Dictator Pope” revealed (officially) and book format now available
- LENTCAzT 2018 34 – Monday – 5th Week of Lent, Passiontide: sin makes you stoopid
- ASK FATHER: Absolution at jail through glass, phone in visitor’s room
- The fruits of dumbing everything down, down, ever down.
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes and Passion Sunday POLL: veils on images
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
I travel a good deal. As I get older, it takes more of a toll. My main airline - sigh - is Delta. Were I to get some Gift Cards for Delta, I could more easily upgrade for longer flights. I'm just sayin'. I'd be much obliged. HERE
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
A book by an old friend…
Tag Archives: SCOTUS
UPDATE: Neil Addison, an outstanding barrister in England, has comments on the opinions. Given Justice Thomas references to Magna Carta, it is appropriate to link to the esteemed legal scholar. HERE He has some great comments.
____ ORIGINAL: Published on: Jun 26, 2015 @ … Continue reading
The Supreme Court came down in favor of same-sex marriage today. The Slip opinions are HERE.
Held: The Fourteenth Amendment requires a State to license a marriage between two people of the same sex and to recognize a marriage between two … Continue reading
For the second time, the Supreme Court upheld ObamaCare. They ruled in favor of subsidies in states that did not set up their own health care exchanges.
This decision was 6-3. HERE
Chief Justice John Roberts voted with the court’s liberals to … Continue reading
I just heard that the Supreme Court of the United States, in a unanimous decision, struck down “buffer zones” around the clinical profit centers of big-business abortion.
I also heard that SCOTUS found that Pres. Obama’s so-called recess appointments to the … Continue reading
19 states join legal fight against New Jersey’s concealed weapons law
CHEYENNE, Wyo. – Wyoming is leading a coalition of 19 states asking the U.S. Supreme Court to let them submit a brief supporting a New Jersey man’s challenge to … Continue reading
Scalia Says Internment Ruling Could Happen Again
U.S. Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia told law students at the University of Hawaii on Monday that the nation’s highest court was wrong to uphold the internment of Japanese-Americans during World War II, … Continue reading
The Obama Administration continues its jihad against the 1st Amendment, religious freedom, especially Catholic religious freedom.
Administration to high court: Don’t exempt Catholic groups from contraception mandate
The Obama administration on Friday asked the Supreme Court not to exempt Catholic groups from … Continue reading
Hmmm…. Maybe I should name Justice Sonia Sotomayor Fr. Z’s Person of the Year.
Justice [Sotomayor] delays health law’s birth control mandate
Justice delays health law’s birth control mandate
By: Associated Press
December 31, 2013 10:34 PM EST
WASHINGTON — Only hours before the … Continue reading
The Supreme Court of these United States will take up a couple cases concerning the Obama administration’s anti-religious HHS mandate.
BREAKING: Supreme Court Agrees to Hear Challenge to HHS Contraception Mandate
The Supreme Court agreed on noon Tuesday to hear a … Continue reading