Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- teomatteo: Benedict Joseph, your responce to TonyO was interestin g to me. I have had the opportunit y to see Vermeer 217;s ‘The Scale̵ 7; at the Detroit Institute up close (as per Fr...
- Charles E Flynn: Sardine bones are a source of calcium: http://www .eatingwel l.com/arti cle/15730/ the-1-food -you-shoul d-eat-and- probably-d ont/
- jaykay: Spinmamma: very true what you say, we could be faced with potential loss of these glorious structures in our current circs. Yet… it’s not the first time. Rheims, the most...
- Lux de Coelo: Oily as a conference of bishops Hilarious
- SanSan: Love the “coo king and sermonR 21; Father Z. You are quite entertaini ng. Nice to read something for a change that is uplifting during such strife.
- RichR: This Bishop makes me want to strive for holiness. How much grace is being showered down on this brave soul?
- ThePapalCount: Pope Francis 217; appointmen t of McCarrick& #8217;s close collaborat or Cardinal Kevin Farrell as carmelengo is really a mockery. Is Francis tone deaf to what is going on? I...
- David L Alexander: This is a positive developmen t. That being said … Back in the day, a priest would have in the pocket of his cassock, a small vial of the “Ole um Infirmorum ,R...
- KateriK: Second paragraph – second sentence: Riruum. Should be Rituum.
- Benedict Joseph: TonyO requires a thorough instructio n on the history of the visual arts, and an immersion in the studio for a few years mastering anatomy, line, value, color. Just start render...
- Bellarmino Vianney: This is another good op-ed by the Great Archbishop Vigano. The problem, as many have already noted, is the individual s leading the so-called “Sum mit” . It is...
- LauraL: I want a way to help. I can only give $10, $25 at a time, here and there, but I want very much to do that.
- Charles E Flynn: In the second paragraph on page iii, what should be “Col lectio RituumR 21; becomes “Col lectio RiruumR 21;. A search at Google for “col lectio riruum&...
- Malta: $4,000,000 ,000 https://ww w.newsweek .com/over- 3-billion- paid-lawsu its-cathol ic-church- over-sex-a buse-claim s-1090753 The sad thing is most of this money came from pensioners not...
- Andrew Hollingsworth: Surely the outcome has been a huge advance on other recent scandals involving members of the Sacred College Cardinal Groër remained a Cardinal and Cardinal O’Br ien...
- Amerikaner: In addition to all this, I am sure Archbishop Vigano is praying for McCarrick& #8217;s conversion and repentance . While laicizatio n was appropriat e, I am shocked that there has been...
- Unwilling: Although what Archbp. Vigano says is true including his identifica tion of poor spiritual formation as a cause of the current disorder, rectifying the contextual situation would/will be...
- Atra Dicenda, Rubra Agenda: I dont have a great sense of the size of your sardines, I am curious. [In the top photo you see half of a lemon. Farther down, look at the size of the thyme sprigs, the...
- Malta: Whoever says that the deadening of the Faith in France doesn̵ 7;t have a relation to the effects of Vatican II suffers from an Alice in Wonderland cognitive dissonance : https:/...
- acardnal: The title of your post says it all: “Mis ter” McCarrick.
- Semper Gumby: Kennedy: Outstandin g. God willing and the creek don’ t rise, church attendance and sacred worship will increase. Spinmamma: Well said. Deo Volente, for many more centuries to...
- Hb: While McCarrick deserved to be reduced to the lay state, it seems to be a move done to satiate the masses and for Rome to look like it is doing something so that after the bishops return they...
- JustaSinner: Well, if these Churches are open 24/7, WHY NO ORGANIZED CHURCH-SIT TERS? Just one, with pointed stick, would run off/throug h the perpetrato rs. We used to have all-night Adoration at...
- Johann: The religion of peace, and it’s adherents who have “mig rated̶ 1; into France (i.e invaded) are responsibl e for this anti-Chris tian violence. How many Churches have to be...
- Johann: God bless his Grace Archbishop Vigano. He is proof that there are still shepherds who want to propagate the faith, because he has sacrificed so much, including a comfortabl e retirement and...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- BOOK RECEIVED: 1962 Parish Ritual – HUZZAH!
- Archbp. Viganò offers thoughts on The Present Crisis before the Rome “Summit”
- Suffering and attacks on the Church’s “Eldest Daughter”
- Mister McCarrick
- Fr. Z’s Kitchen: Shiny little fish!
- Interesting observation by @CCPecknold about laicization of McCarrick
- WDTPRS – Septuagesima Sunday: PRE-LENT BEGINS!
- Of Flaring Suns and Starry Nights
- A quick book plug: A Catholic Introduction to the Bible: The Old Testament
- Opportunity: R.I.P.
- POLL: Prayers after Mass
- “Know also this, that, in the last days, shall come dangerous times.”
- Do you know priests who are struggling, under attack? Terrific movement: Seven Sisters Apostolate
- Movement in the causes of Bl. John Henry Newman and Card. József Mindszenty
- ASK FATHER: During sick call, tea and biscuits before administering Communion
- Another look at Catholic/Islamic statement: “diversity of religions … are willed by God in His wisdom”
- Your Good News
- “Rumors that a certain prelate threatens his orthodox priests with institutionalization or laicization are not rumors… they are truth”
- BREAKING: Rubrics and color-blindness
- Card. Kasper attacks Card. Müller who publicly proclaimed Catholic doctrine
- Thoughts about ‘ad orientem’ worship and priests being bullied
- How many baptist pastors are married?
- 10 February – St. José Sánchez del Río, Martyr
- Fr. Z’s Kitchen: Coda alla Vaccinara with digressions into Roman stuff, like a new old confraternity
- TRANS-NEPTUNIAN COMET APPROACHES EARTH
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- PODCAzT 170: Card. Müller – Manifesto of Faith: “Let not your heart be troubled!”
- WDTPRS: 5th Sunday after Epiphany AND 5th Ordinary Sunday: Familial military or martial family?
- L’Affaire McCarrick: Soon to be “Mister”
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
New miscellaneous releases and events
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Tag Archives: Seal of confession
From Lexology: A note about the Seal of Confession and requiring priests to break the Seal: State Could Not Require Priest to Breach Confessional Without Satisfying RFRA In Ronchi v. State, No. 5D18-194, 2018 WL 2988975 (Fla. 5th DCA June … Continue reading
Every once in a while, like the occasional blooming of the giant Amorphophallus titanum, or corpse flower, some government entity attempts to criminalize the practice of our Faith. The latest rotting-flesh blossom occurred inCanberra, Australia. On 7 June the Australian Capital Territory’s Legislative … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: A person enters the confessional and starts with the usual: “Forgive me, Father, for I have sinned…” She recount a sin, and ask for advice about it: what should she have done, what should she do about that sin … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: There is a young lady who regularly takes a very long time in Confession (25-30 minutes, sometimes longer). She is not making a long confession, and it’s not the priest spending long amounts of time giving … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: EWTN is reporting that the Australian government is trying to make priests mandatory reporters for child abuse, by requiring them to report what they hear in confession. While this is, obviously, a direct assault on the … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: I recently went to confession in one of those open style baroque confessionals. Afterwards, I found someone directly outside the confessional (where she would have heard what was said by both parties). I confronted her about … Continue reading
From a reader… Hi Fr. X: [I’m sorry. Fr. X is not available right now. May I be of help?] I have a question for an Unreconstructed Ossified Manualist. [You’ve come to the right place.] I think I read someone … Continue reading
Have you followed at all the court battle in Louisiana concerning the Seal of Confession and obligation to report certain crimes? From CWN: A Louisiana judge has ruled unconstitutional a new state law requiring priests to report sexual abuse that … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: Father, as a follow up to your recent post on who is bound by the seal of confession, I have two more related questions: 1. Can the penitent release the priest from the seal? I would think not, … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: Does the seal of confession bind the penitent in any way? Background: Talking with a friend awhile ago I mentioned something I was told in confession. My friend said he was very uncomfortable with this – implying that … Continue reading
There is a CNS piece that teaches something about the Seal of Confession. Seal of confession is absolute, even after penitent dies, officials say VATICAN CITY — The secrecy of a confession is maintained so seriously and completely by the … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: Around the lunch table a few days ago, myself and a few brother seminarians raised this question: If a priest hears the confessions of a couple to be married the day before the marriage, and one … Continue reading
The pressure will now rise, since Anglicans have betrayed Christian tradition and history (again). Never mind that the Church of England has cobbled up a rite of baptism that omits any reference to the Devil (HERE), now we have this … Continue reading
From ABC: Melbourne Archbishop Denis Hart stands by confessional despite abuse recommendationsThe Catholic Archbishop of Melbourne has stood by the church’s stance [good grief] on keeping information on abuse gained through the confessional secret, despite a Victorian Parliamentary inquiry recommending withholding … Continue reading
From a reader: Father, I spend a lot of time in Finland which has Europe’s smallest Catholic Church, [not to mention one of Europe’s oddest languages…] both in terms of absolute numbers and in terms of percentage of the population. … Continue reading