HAM RADIO W9FRZ STATUS
Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
I had to change the way that people go to amazon to buy things because... you know... why make it easy?. So, just click the link below. Once you're in, you're good to shop.
Try AmazonFresh Free Trial
Shop Amazon Gold Box - New Deals. Everyday
Shop Amazon Gift Cards - Instant Delivery or Free One-Day Shipping
Try Prime Discounted Monthly Offering
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
My Twitter – @fatherz
Beautiful, heirloom quality Rosaries
Fr. Z’s Blog is a Founding Member of…
“The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
2020 TLM Pilgrimage to the Holy Land
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Vox Laudis: Collect for the Fourth Sunday after Easter, 1928 Book of Common Prayer: O ALMIGHTY God, who alone canst order the unruly wills and affections of sinful men; Grant unto thy people, that...
- Fr. Kelly: Mike While the pusillanim ity of many of our bishops is undeniable , more than one bishop has ordered the NCR to cease and desist their use of the name Catholic. Most recently, Bishop...
- veritas vincit: Of all the complaints that traditiona list Catholics have about the celebratio n of the Norvus Ordo Mass, none make as much sense to me as the priest facing the people instead of ad...
- KateD: As to the comment on standing it seemed to me a complaint about the lack of silence 230;.but that might just be a reading comprehens ion issue on my part as I try to string words toget...
- Semper Gumby: When I first read this post’ ;s title I looked upward, expecting to see the skies swarming with porcine aviators. Alas, nay. Fr. Z and Michael Sean Winters do not quite agree....
- KateD: I love the imagery of trying to maneuver watercraft while something is creating drag… ;it is often frustratin gly futileR 30;but sometimes when one is being rapidly dragged out to...
- Benedict Joseph: MSW exhibits an astonishin g lack of self-aware ness. And the propensity to projection ! Zeitgeist addicts are subject to that. It appears to be of epidemic proportion s among that...
- ChrisP: Winters is just jealous, annoyed, envious that the impact and subscripti on rates of all those entities are rising. Simple attention envy.
- Mike: Before Vatican 2, one can envision individual bishops&md ash;many of them&mdash ;slapping down any publicatio n as noisily heterodox as the “Rep orter̶ 1; that had the temerity to...
- hwriggles4: Last month I went on a retreat at Mundelein. Our group stayed at the Conference Center on the seminary grounds. Sunday Mass, the priest (who I believe is on the seminary faculty) did...
- Sandy: The whole idea of not turning your back on the Lord is just one reason I cringe at the “sig n of peace̶ 1;. I never turn my back to the altar, where the Jesus is now waiting for us...
- robtbrown: Excuse the delay. I am traveling. 1. There is nothing wrong with using the words form and content in this sense. Form refers to the litugical structure, Content to what it contains. In...
- RLseven: Les Buissonets , “Tho se of us who would prefer to sing the old Church back again aren’t welcome among progressiv ists.̶ 1; But to be fair, those who would prefer versus populum...
- Semper Gumby: “Man y of the great figures of the Old Testament are considered by Holy Church to be saints. 221; Amen. “Gre gg explores what happens when faith and reason drift...
- Les Buissonets: Ah, byzantines teve, you’ re forgetting that ‘pro gress̵ 7;, etymologic ally, means ‘mov ing forward 217;; hence, the only things Father is allowed to...
- byzantinesteve: I’m confused. I thought the whole m.o. of progressiv ism was that with regard to liturgy, anything goes. What should it matter if father decides to change things up a bit?...
- Legisperitus: Bob B.: I think what Bishop Barron was getting at is the fact that Satan is not an “equ al but opposite 8221; force to God, as is presented in some kind of Manichean or...
- Semper Gumby: Interestin g times. A Jesuit is underminin g Transubsta ntiation; another Jesuit states that the devil is a symbol; the Amazon Synod will promote paganism; a “con servati...
- pjsandstrom: Considerin g the question of which way to face during the Eucharisti c Prayer, it is necessary to remember the dialogue at the beginning of the Prayer. “Sur sum Corda̶ 1; and...
- Fr_Sotelo: While visiting a priest friend in Phoenix some years ago, I was introduced to the pastor of the parish, who happened to be “Fr. James Wall” ; at the time. It was a large...
- Charivari Rob: …Fir st, the canard of celebratin g with “back to the people” has been debunked for a long time. At the best, the image is shallow. .. . This topic seems to recur and recur in...
- Cincture: Prayers to your reader and their growing community. Might also inquire at http://www .usedchurc hitems.com / located in Pittsburgh , PA.
- rbbadger: Not long after becoming Catholic, I stumbled across old liturgical books in the University of Utah Library. I am a convert from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (otherw...
- rbbadger: I am a priest of the Diocese of Gallup. We are one of the poorest dioceses in the country, given that we have one of the largest population s of Native Americans of any diocese. To see a...
- MargoRose: Well you know you’ re doing something right when the Fishwrap attacks you. I’m beyond blessed to have a FSSP parish near me and for the two FSSP priests come say the Extrao...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- Fishwrap’s @MichaelSWinters wants action from the US bishops. So does @FatherZ
- WDTPRS 21st Ordinary Sunday: the smoke of Satan v. invisible love
- More on liberal liturgists’ attacks on “ad orientem” worship, bishops and priests who support it
- Fishwrap attacks “ad orientem” worship and the strong trends they fear
- 5th Glorious Mystery: The Coronation of Our Lady
- Instead of a syncretistic Synod (“walking together”) about the Amazon, here’s a better idea.
- The Devil Wears SJ. The Jesuit Superior General: The Devil is a symbol, not a person.
- “He would have fled forever, into the hell of exile from God. But the sight of the vestments overcame him.”
- 22 August: Mary’s Immaculate Heart and Queenship
- ASK FATHER: Getting necessary gear for the Traditional Latin Mass
- PODCAzT 175: Traditional Profession of Faith of Converts
- ASK FATHER: Incorrupt bodies of saints
- ASK FATHER: How to explain the Eucharist to a Jesuit ( @ThomasReeseSJ )?
- ASK FATHER: Bring pebbles to church so we can make a new altar
- 20 August: St. Samuel, Old Testament prophet
- Jesuit Thomas Reese against Transubstantiation. Wherein Fr. Z responds.
- “LaCI and Beans” back at it again! Attack US Bishops for their enthusiastic implementation of law
- PODCAzT 174 and PRAYERCAzT: The Latin of the Traditional Rite of Baptism of a Child
- Your Good News
- Monday Morning Brain Jumpstart: some good reading
- “My sons playing Mass ‘against pagans’.
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – Our attitude at the altar
- That tragic Portland parish, the mistreatment of the priest. Fr. Z’s solution: “Let’s make a deal!”
- Is cutting off the money the way to go?
- ASK FATHER: Can I wear a scapular on my bullet proof vest?
- BOOK: Grandmother and the Priests
- What is a “liturgist”? Some thoughts.
- WDTPRS – 20th Ordinary Sunday: Live in love to have later Love Himself
- Adventures in “gay” ad blocking
- Lighter Fare For Friday
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
Because it matters what children read…
Be a “Zed-Head”!
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
Tag Archives: Seal of confession
A bill has been introduced by Wisconsin Dems which would seek to force priests to violate the Seal of Confession under penalty of civil in case of abuse of minors. From Channel 3000 in WI: Clergy required to report child … Continue reading
Every once in a while, some legal case pops up whereby one side tries to undermine the Seal of Confession. These attempts usually go down in defeat. However, each time they are advanced, the needle is bumped ever so slightly … Continue reading
From Lexology: A note about the Seal of Confession and requiring priests to break the Seal: State Could Not Require Priest to Breach Confessional Without Satisfying RFRA In Ronchi v. State, No. 5D18-194, 2018 WL 2988975 (Fla. 5th DCA June … Continue reading
Every once in a while, like the occasional blooming of the giant Amorphophallus titanum, or corpse flower, some government entity attempts to criminalize the practice of our Faith. The latest rotting-flesh blossom occurred inCanberra, Australia. On 7 June the Australian Capital Territory’s Legislative … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: A person enters the confessional and starts with the usual: “Forgive me, Father, for I have sinned…” She recount a sin, and ask for advice about it: what should she have done, what should she do about that sin … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: There is a young lady who regularly takes a very long time in Confession (25-30 minutes, sometimes longer). She is not making a long confession, and it’s not the priest spending long amounts of time giving … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: EWTN is reporting that the Australian government is trying to make priests mandatory reporters for child abuse, by requiring them to report what they hear in confession. While this is, obviously, a direct assault on the … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: I recently went to confession in one of those open style baroque confessionals. Afterwards, I found someone directly outside the confessional (where she would have heard what was said by both parties). I confronted her about … Continue reading
From a reader… Hi Fr. X: [I’m sorry. Fr. X is not available right now. May I be of help?] I have a question for an Unreconstructed Ossified Manualist. [You’ve come to the right place.] I think I read someone … Continue reading
Have you followed at all the court battle in Louisiana concerning the Seal of Confession and obligation to report certain crimes? From CWN: A Louisiana judge has ruled unconstitutional a new state law requiring priests to report sexual abuse that … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: Father, as a follow up to your recent post on who is bound by the seal of confession, I have two more related questions: 1. Can the penitent release the priest from the seal? I would think not, … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: Does the seal of confession bind the penitent in any way? Background: Talking with a friend awhile ago I mentioned something I was told in confession. My friend said he was very uncomfortable with this – implying that … Continue reading
There is a CNS piece that teaches something about the Seal of Confession. Seal of confession is absolute, even after penitent dies, officials say VATICAN CITY — The secrecy of a confession is maintained so seriously and completely by the … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: Around the lunch table a few days ago, myself and a few brother seminarians raised this question: If a priest hears the confessions of a couple to be married the day before the marriage, and one … Continue reading
The pressure will now rise, since Anglicans have betrayed Christian tradition and history (again). Never mind that the Church of England has cobbled up a rite of baptism that omits any reference to the Devil (HERE), now we have this … Continue reading