Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- mibethda: The Mass paten does appear to have been consecrate d in the ‘Mid dle Ages’ ;. see Guilielmus Durandus, Rationale Divinorum Officiorum , Book I, Chapter 8, Par.24: 24. Further...
- JesusFreak84: Even if Francis was TEH BEST POPE EVAH, that kind of remark is foolish. Some things you just don’ t joke about, and some things certain people just shouldn 217;t ever joke...
- JesusFreak84: Our priests have begun to go as “bla nd” and “gen eric” ; as the EF lectionary could allow. I wouldnR 17;t be surprised if the actions of our Cardina...
- Roy Hobbs: FatherR 30; you sure do get around! And what a lovely picture of MSP. Safe travels.
- Ultrarunner: Apparently , it’s far easier to cede papal authority and recognitio n to an athiestic communist state formed in the 20th century than to do so with Christian based denominati ons...
- MissBee: So bad, but so good! And it made me think of this – Vince Lombardi as St. Vince Lombardi (or as I would say, “Vin cent Lombardi of Green Bay). Not entirely improbable , is...
- Fr Martin Fox: My homily title was, “Det achment: what it is, why we need it and how to gain it.” I also talked about Flannery O’Co nnor’ ;s idea of grace not necessaril y...
- FN: Can one think of any occasion on which one would actually say, out loud, “I am the d…” I can’t even type it. I am sure Fr Z wouldn’t. Would any of us? “I’m just a poor sinner” would seem...
- FN: Judging by his behavior Augustus was a complete rotter. A classic example of how the Lord can bring good out of the deeds of the worst men.
- Michael Haz: “ 230;..repo rt for psychiatri c counseling and perhaps confinemen t… 8221; Soviet-era tyranny courtesy of Cdl Chipich. Those accused of wrongthink must be institu...
- TonyO: And, by the way: in all that, a priest should be automatica lly disqualifi ed from considerat ion if the bishop receives from the people letters about him that he does not teach ortho...
- David WS: Contracept ion http://www .therealpr esence.org /archives/ Chastity/C hastity_00 4.htm – is fatal to the Faith. First, widespread contracept ion and unbelief in the Real Presence go...
- TonyO: It’s my understand ing that in medieval times the Kings of England chose who would be bishops in their realm and the pope had little to do with it. The kings of France also claimed rights of...
- JustaSinner: Only the Dark One would utter the truth in this instance?
- JonPatrick: @semperGum by, unfortunat ely the Cubs will lose to the Red Sox in game 5 of the World Series as Chris Sale repeating his stellar performanc e in game 1 at Fenway Park, mows down the...
- Gab: Bon voyage, Fr Z. Wish you a most excellent journey.
- JonPatrick: It is not “con servatives ” that are upset at Pope Francis. It is Catholics who love their Church and believe what the Church teaches. The Church is not a Parliament with...
- JonPatrick: The betrayal of the Chinese Catholics has convinced me that there is truly a diabolical element at work in our Church. No one can believe they are truly that naive to believe the...
- uptoncp: A mediaeval English vacancy in see typically resulted in a three way tussle as King, Pope, and Cathedral Chapter all claimed the right to nominate, and any one of the three might win. At...
- tamranthor: Cupich is putting the lie to the old “wis dom” about the Catholic Church persecutin g homosexual s. He has certainly turned the tables. Now it is the faithful who are...
- Fr_Andrew: Gloves are primarily to avoid soiling the metal which often takes fingerprin ts, but not to facilitate the touching of sacred vessels. Clerics and those who have charge of the vessels...
- Augustine Thompson O.P.: Oh, to be clear, I should have made explicit that the carrying of the Host on the paten to communicat e friars at a Private Mass is a post-1800 phenomenon . In the pre-mo...
- maternalView: Bless Fr. Kalchik! CupichR 17;s letter is revealing himself for what he is. While this must be extremely hard for Fr. Kalchik it is a good thing because it’s unmask...
- mibethda: There is a distinctio n between a chalice and paten, which are consecrate d only by a bishop or other person with the faculty to do so (see Canon 1169, CCL), and a ciborium, pyx or...
- Augustine Thompson O.P.: Mr. WmHesch and Mr. Mcferran 8217;s posts reflect my understand ing. In the Dominican Rite, the ministers and friars receive(d) on the altar steps using a communion cloth...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- When they claim “Clericalism!”, they really mean #sodoclericalism
- My View For Awhile: Humidity Edition
- ASK FATHER: Is a Communion plate or paten a “sacred vessel”?
- OCTOBER – ROME – Annual #SumPont2018 Pilgrimage
- Thanks to Augustus on his birthday and to the Cohors Italicus
- If government leaders in China can now choose bishops, then in these USA…
- Francis trades quips with Polish photographer in Vilnius
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- Archbp. Chaput of @ArchPhilly on upcoming Synod’s working document. Concerns.
- UPDATE – @ArchChicago parish burns a “rainbow flag”
- THIS IS WAR! Wherein Fr. Z calls on bishops and priests to FIGHT BACK as priests and bishops!
- Akita, Communion in the hand, and homosexuality
- Card. Zen on the “Provisional Agreement” with the PRC on Bishops
- WDTPRS – 25th Ordinary Sunday: Each love fuels the other, when love of God is first.
- VIDEO: Fr. Murray on aspects of The Present Crisis
- ASK FATHER: Adding water to Holy Water
- ASK FATHER: If in letters Benedict XVI imparts still the Apostolic Blessing…
- A story of spectacular complexity, involving shady people, huge money, interlocking directorates, vast loans, and the Papal Foundation.
- One Mad Mom spanks James Martin, LGBTSJ – UPDATED
- Bishop R. Walker Nickless of Sioux City on #ViganoTestimony
- And now a word from our sponsor…
- BOOKS RECEIVED: Vatican I: The Council and the Making of the Ultramontane Church
- The upcoming Synod’s “working document”
- ASK FATHER: Should we pray for or against the success of the Synod?
- What passes for important today.
- YOU are other people. It’s always someone else… until it’s YOU.
- ASK FATHER: Are we are in the End Times?
- Fr. Murray’s Open Letter to ex-Card. McCarrick. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- Cri de Coeur about lost innocence and The Present Crisis
- Card. Müller: “the real danger to today’s humanity is the greenhouse gases of sin and the global warming of unbelief”
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Tag Archives: Seal of confession
Every once in a while, like the occasional blooming of the giant Amorphophallus titanum, or corpse flower, some government entity attempts to criminalize the practice of our Faith.
The latest rotting-flesh blossom occurred inCanberra, Australia. On 7 June the Australian Capital Territory’s Legislative Assembly … Continue reading
From a reader…
A person enters the confessional and starts with the usual: “Forgive me, Father, for I have sinned…” She recount a sin, and ask for advice about it: what should she have done, what should she do about that sin now that … Continue reading
From a reader…
There is a young lady who regularly takes a very long time in Confession (25-30 minutes, sometimes longer). She is not making a long confession, and it’s not the priest spending long amounts of time giving her counsel. … Continue reading
From a reader…
EWTN is reporting that the Australian government is trying to make priests mandatory reporters for child abuse, by requiring them to report what they hear in confession. While this is, obviously, a direct assault on the sacrament, it’s … Continue reading
From a reader…
I recently went to confession in one of those open style baroque confessionals. Afterwards, I found someone directly outside the confessional (where she would have heard what was said by both parties).
I confronted her about it, but she … Continue reading
From a reader…
Hi Fr. X: [I’m sorry. Fr. X is not available right now. May I be of help?]
I have a question for an Unreconstructed Ossified Manualist. [You’ve come to the right place.]
I think I read someone where once that … Continue reading
Have you followed at all the court battle in Louisiana concerning the Seal of Confession and obligation to report certain crimes?
A Louisiana judge has ruled unconstitutional a new state law requiring priests to report sexual abuse that is mentioned … Continue reading
From a reader…
Father, as a follow up to your recent post on who is bound by the seal of confession, I have two more related questions:
1. Can the penitent release the priest from the seal? I would think not, so as to … Continue reading
From a reader…
Does the seal of confession bind the penitent in any way?
Background: Talking with a friend awhile ago I mentioned something I was told in confession. My friend said he was very uncomfortable with this – implying that I was breaking … Continue reading
There is a CNS piece that teaches something about the Seal of Confession.
Seal of confession is absolute, even after penitent dies, officials say
VATICAN CITY — The secrecy of a confession is maintained so seriously and completely by the Catholic Church … Continue reading
From a reader…
Around the lunch table a few days ago, myself and a few brother seminarians raised this question:
If a priest hears the confessions of a couple to be married the day before the marriage, and one of them has … Continue reading
The pressure will now rise, since Anglicans have betrayed Christian tradition and history (again).
Never mind that the Church of England has cobbled up a rite of baptism that omits any reference to the Devil (HERE), now we have this from … Continue reading
Melbourne Archbishop Denis Hart stands by confessional despite abuse recommendationsThe Catholic Archbishop of Melbourne has stood by the church’s stance [good grief] on keeping information on abuse gained through the confessional secret, despite a Victorian Parliamentary inquiry recommending withholding information … Continue reading
From a reader:
Father, I spend a lot of time in Finland which has Europe’s smallest Catholic Church, [not to mention one of Europe’s oddest languages…] both in terms of absolute numbers and in terms of percentage of the population. Nearly … Continue reading
This, from UCANEWS make me angry:
Pell does not speak for the whole Church says retired bishop
The retired bishop, Geoffrey Robinson, says he would be prepared to break the seal of confession in order to report sexual abuse. [?!?]
Bishop Robinson has … Continue reading