Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- HvonBlumenthal: Yes, I believe at least once a year. Its to ensure recognitio n by the priest that both masses are equally valid forms of the same rite and he this accepts the hermeneuti c of...
- Imrahil: FSSP priests are obliged to say the new Mass occasional ly Just briefly: Are they?
- HvonBlumenthal: Roma247 and others: You are probably aware that SSPX has within its ranks more than one school of thought. It was the Vatican that declared the fraternity ‘s situation to be irreg...
- Gab: Very good sermon from Father (aged 27, but with knowledge far exceeding his age) at the TLM. Basic outtake of the message – Some people question why the emphasis on going through Our...
- OssaSola: Thank you, we just ran outside in our PJ’s and saw the eclipse in the clear Texas sky; we would have missed it otherwise. Godspeed your Mission in Tokyo!
- rtrainque: With myself as the lone server and one of our regular schola members performing his duties solo as well, we managed to still have a Missa Cantata (sans incense) here in Burling...
- Rob83: The sermon was abbreviate d due to the weather, understand able given conditions . So it was a brief lesson on canon law about such things with a request to pray and attend the pro-l...
- roma247: @Ann Malley Achilles was a very great warrior 211;unstop pable, in fact, but for his heel. We are all human and we all have weaknesses . My only point was to show that the devil makes...
- JMody: As for sermon notes, Msgr Al made similar points about the host’ ;s dilemma, and how the Blessed Mother gave the instructio n that is always appropriat e –> ; Do whatever He...
- JesusFreak84: Unfortunat ely, there̵ 7;s not a ton of overlap of devout, traditiona l Catholic men and people who learn Japanese =-\ (Japanese is HARD, even though there̵ 7;s far more...
- FromVicBC: My understand ing is the largest groups of practicing Catholics live in South America and Africa. Is there a reason the church isn’ t encouragin g young men from South America and...
- Ann Malley: @Pius Admirabili s With all due respect, to say that, “The SSPX has no reason to stay in their canonical status, 221; without being in the know about details is presumptio n....
- Anita Moore, O.P.(lay): I wear a sterling silver scapular medal on a sterling silver chain. I went sterling silver because my skin degrades cheap metals. And I went medal because I went through too...
- Ann Malley: @roma247 “You point out the dragon’s underbelly that exists hidden within the SSPX, and the reason why so many of us revere what they are trying to do, and yet simultaneo usly...
- JesusFreak84: I’d love to go to Japan one of these days, but I won’ t get on a plane as long as TSA exists =-\
- acardnal: anthtan, you beat me to the finish!
- Pius Admirabilis: @Fr Jackson & roma247 Those are my thoughts exactly. The SSPX has no reason to stay in their canonical status. Maybe, and I don’ t want to begin a discussion , their...
- MrsMacD: I had to look up Dan Shutte. He’s a sodomite ex priest. And we wonder why this music fails to inspire. Planned. They planned this. Grrrr.
- MrsMacD: “By a decree of May 8th 1925 [Pope Pius XI] approved what is known as the “pro tected scapular.& #8221; Instead of just two pieces of brown cloth joined by string or cord, one...
- roma247: @Fr. Jackson—th ank you for your insightful comment. You point out the dragon’s underbelly that exists hidden within the SSPX, and the reason why so many of us revere what they are trying...
- surritter: HvonBlumen thal — you forgot to write #8: “Thu s Jesus will have failed in His promise that the gates of hell shall not prevail against His Church. 221; (because the...
- MrsMacD: Masked Chicken, I’m wearing a Rose Scapular! My family (Father, Mother, sisters, brothers, nieces nephews, husband, kids) and friends all wear them. They’ ;re famous for being...
- youngcatholicgirl: I heard a Mass setting this summer whose “Lam b of God” had the same first bars as “My Heart Will Go On” from “Tit anic” ;. Most of what we...
- Ann Malley: @Prayerful Were the communitie s you referenced able to form new priests to offer the TLM? If not, while individual s may have received permission to offer the TLM, it would have died...
- Ann Malley: @Fr. Jackson “Whe n the SSPX claims (in their article on the PCED suppressio n) that the “Ecclesia Dei communitie s… do not count in this discussion ,” and that they can have the...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- Super-Wolf-Blood Moon!
- WDTPRS: 2nd Sunday after Epiphany – liturgical unicorn
- Francis suppressed the Pontifical Commission “Ecclesia Dei”. Fr. Z remarks.
- ASK FATHER: Do I have to sing at Mass?
- Scandalous parish in @ArchdioceseSPM – public celebration of homosexuality, IVR and surrogacy
- My View For Awhile: Westward
- ASK FATHER: Finding good sponsors for confirmation
- ASK FATHER: Where can I get good Brown Scapulars?
- ASK FATHER: Friday penance on flight across International Date Line
- Public penance and public reparation
- Card. Mahony to speak at the Three Days of Darkness
- UPDATE: “the finest rosaries I’ve ever seen” with a new site
- SOS! New Chant Collection: Prière pour temps de détresse … Prayer in time of distress, suffering, urgency… SOS Chant
- ASK FATHER: St. Gertrude’s Prayer and releasing 1000 souls from Purgatory
- YOUR URGENT PRAYER REQUESTS
- When tweets become problematic
- 4th Letter from Archbishop Viganò
- 14 January – Happy Feast of the Ass!
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- ASK FATHER: Standing on altar to change sanctuary lamp.
- ASK FATHER: Feasts of new saints in the Traditional Latin Mass
- Good points in Lawler’s recent book: The Smoke of Satan…
- Two cordial warnings to readers
- ASK FATHER: Excessive pious gestures during Mass
- WDTPRS – Holy Family (1962MR): Families not of blood
- ASK FATHER: Can we use the Breviarium Romanum published by the SSPX?
- FOLLOW UP on Gluten and Celiac post
- ZMIRAK: Hawaii Sen. @maziehirono Is Right. We Must Intern the Knights of Columbus in Camps
- ASK FATHER: Gluten-free madness the work of the Father of Lies?
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Tag Archives: Second Vatican Council
The Fishwrap sure lived up to its name this time. Fishwrap (aka National Schismatic Reporter) has gushy piece about a reunion of old men who were seminarians of class 1966 at the Pontifical North American College in Rome. The arrived in Rome in … Continue reading
Dr. Peter Kwasniewski wrote to me the other day to alert me to his post at NLM about the Second Vatican Council and the Latin language. It is MUST READ reading. HERE A taste to get you in… The documents … Continue reading
I saw a mordantly amusing comment from Fr. Hunwicke over at his blog HERE. He mused about the recent 50th anniversary of Paul VI going to a Roman parish to say Mass in Italian. Perpend. My emphases and added … Continue reading
“There was the Council of the Fathers – the real Council – but there was also the Council of the media.”
I was recently sent a link to a video of one of the last appearances of Benedict XVI during his pontificate. This is the famous audience during which he spoke about the “Council of the media”. [wp_youtube]CfTWC5lPshM[/wp_youtube] I think it … Continue reading
I was asked, “What are all these Pope canonizations really about, anyway? Are they all saints? Paul VI? Every Pope? Except… like … any Pius? Really?” I wrote about this a long time ago. More and more people, I now … Continue reading
Today is the 50th anniversary of the promulgation of Sacrosanctum Concilium. 50 years. FIFTY. YEARS. I went back into the archives of the blog to find my post about… Bugninicare! UNIVERSAL SPIRITUAL-CARE REFORM FOR THE CATHOLIC CHURCH (Socialized Worship) Taking … Continue reading
Sandro Magister has an intriguing piece today about the Second Vatican Council and the possibility of reconciliation of the SSPX. It might upset some people. I think that some parts make sense. A few bits from the larger piece… The … Continue reading
“Something will be done for St. Joseph.” Thus, John XXIII. Did you know that a title for St. Joseph is “Terror of Demons”? I’ve been rereading The Rhine Flows Into The Tiber, about the inner workings of the Second Vatican … Continue reading
Benedict XVI on Year of Faith: “a pilgrimage in the deserts of today’s world, taking with us only what is necessary”
“Reference to the documents saves us from extremes of anachronistic nostalgia and running too far ahead, and allows what is new to be welcomed in a context of continuity.” Thus, Benedict XVI during his homily for the Opening of the Year … Continue reading
From The Bitter Pill: Küng misses Vatican II celebration 17 May 2012 Theologian Hans Küng [but not a Catholic theologian… heh…] has turned down an invitation to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Second Vatican Council at the German Katholikentag … Continue reading