Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- APX: I can understand how a grieving family could have heard something other than what was being said. Grief and emotions can do that to a person, but I do think it’s unfair for them and the media...
- Nathan: While I’m unqualifie d to comment on the particular s of this incident, it strikes me as indicative of the very difficult position that good parish priests are in, given the Situat...
- Sue: I just read the text of the homily. How sad the parents missed the hopeful, compassion ate message. I printed it out to keep in the event that someone I know takes their life. I thought it was...
- YoungLatinMassGuy: As one who has suffered, and still suffers, from extreme depression , and has been deep in nihilistic existentia l crises contemplat ing eternal oblivion after death, I have only...
- Chuck4247: Also missing here is the context of how this priest had been preaching prior to this at the regular Masses: If Father was normally a true fire-and-b rimstone preacher from the pulpit,...
- Akita: After update of December 17th: Father, help me. Is the visible, institutio nal church the “ape” church? Will faithful, diocesan priests be increasing ly humiliated publicly by their episco...
- Legisperitus: L.: You have a pointless water feature during Advent? My sincere sympathies . I had thought those wretched things were mercifully confined to Paschaltid e. Hope it isn’ t...
- DMorgan: How long Oh Lord?
- e.e.: CNN has a document online that seems to be the entire text of the homily, released by the archdioces e: https://cd n.cnn.com/ cnn/2018/i mages/12/1 6/father.l acuesta.ho mily.maiso n.hulli...
- e.e.: Did anyone else see the N.Y. Times article about this? It actually includes some quotes from the homilyR 30; https://ww w.nytimes. com/2018/1 2/16/us/ma ison-hulli barger-sui cide-fu...
- richiedel: Grabski, That’ ;s called the Penitentia l Act and it’s part of the Mass, not a service unto itself. And, if it were a sort of communal reconcilia tion service, such would then...
- NBW: Unfortunat ely the spirit of Vatican II lives on. There is not one mention of the name Jesus. It is total rubbish and I feel sorry for my brothers and sisters that have to endure that kind of...
- Ellen: This is so bizarre our local Unitarian- Universali st church would probably pass on it.
- LarryW2LJ: Our parish Advent Penance Service was this past Saturday morning. 4 Confession als occupied and lines were pleasantly long. It was good to see so many come out for “rea lR...
- William: I assume that this is followed by a general absolution and no individual auricular confession .
- acardnal: I betcha ten bucks there is a so called “min ister of liturgy 221; at this parish.
- majuscule: So is the phrase “and do something different” supposed to take the place of “to confess my sins, to do penance and to amend my life”?
- e.e.: @cafea Our parish has blue vestments, and we’re in the USA. We also have 3 blue ribbons on the Advent wreath, 3 blue banners hung on the doors, etc. It’s actually an attractive shade, but...
- Fr. Reader: @cafea I have seen it in Mexico. 90% blue.
- _Dan_: Not sure which is worse, this or the hellish cacophony of the “chi ldren̵ 7;s bell choir̶ 1; we had to endure during mass yesterday at our parish.
- WmHesch: Would the correspond ent be good as to let us know whether this thing ended with an Option 3 General Absolution ?
- JGavin: “Tha t is true. As pastor, Fr. Grinch has the right to be as ignorant and as obtuse as he wishes. 221; I would respectful ly disagree. This attitude and deliberate ignorance of...
- Gregg the Obscure: Good point from homily: St. Paul’ ;s exhortatio n to rejoice in the Lord always is directed to each of us and we are without excuse if we neglect it.
- JonPatrick: I am happy to see my Magnificat I use for Evening Prayer includes the O antiphons starting this evening. Thanks Fr. Z!
- DMorgan: Thank you Father. Hope you are healing. You are in my prayers.
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- Priest preaches at funeral, world falls on his head – UPDATE – HOMILY TEXT
- 17 Dec: St. Daniel and the Furnace Boys
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 16: O Antiphons
- Advent Penance Service Idiocy
- POLL: Gaudete Rose Vestments and Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- ASK FATHER: Pastor says “Gaudete Sunday, is no more”
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 15: Joyful Longing, Longing Joy
- UPDATE: Sending snail-mail 2018 Christmas cards
- My View For Awhile: Limping Homeward
- Newly born religious groups, strangled in their cradles
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 14: LIBERALS!
- WDTPRS – Gaudete Sunday: “good news” of the chaff’s destiny in “unquenchable fire”
- Fast growth in Paganism, Wicca (the joke that is no joke)
- VIDEO: The new church of Gower Abbey (and the Extraordinary Ordinary)
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 13: The Dirty Bucket
- Priests and bishops who are probably going to Hell
- End of year 2018 charitable giving and YOU. A suggestion.
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 12: Patience
- Holy Face of Manoppello, Sankt Gallen, “designer babies”
- Card. Müller’s interview about Church and theology in Germany
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 11: Hark! a gladsome voice is thrilling
- TERRIFIC! School Choir accomplished, back to back, Solemn Roman and Eastern liturgy!
- NYC Day 1: Of Borscht and Buttons
- “If only women were in leadership positions…”
- Anglicans to mock baptism with transgender ceremony
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 10: If a liturgy looks silly, you can close your eyes. But if it sounds silly…
- A priest’s thought after going ‘ad orientem’
- Priests and Latin. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- My View For Awhile: ”Festina Lente” Edition
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 09: Proper Marian Devotion
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Tag Archives: seminarians
Was there a good point made in the sermon you heard at the Mass you frequented in fulfillment of your Sunday obligation?
Let us know what it was!
For my part, I am not scheduled today! However, each year the seminarians of … Continue reading
Concerning the number of vocations to the priesthood.
From Cincinnati.com comes this. There is a lot in this article. Here are a few snips.
More men want to be Catholic priests. Millennials are leading the way.
The Rev. Benedict O’Cinnsealaigh looks out his … Continue reading
If you don’t know what this IMPORTANT project is all about, go HERE.
Meanwhile, I have received a thank you note from a seminarian recipient of one of your birettas.
I just thought you would like to know.
You know about the BIRETTAS FOR SEMINARIANS PROJECT. I reminded you of it the other day.
I had a note from a seminarian in these USA:
First, I wanted to thank you on behalf of my seminarian brothers and myself for all that … Continue reading
Every summer the Extraordinary Ordinary of the Diocese of Madison, His Excellency Most Reverend Robert C. Morlino, gathers all the seminarians for about a week of fraternity and conferences. We are in full swing.
Today, I celebrated Holy Mass for them … Continue reading
I had a nice note from a reader who met a seminarian recipient of one of your birettas.
Here at Fr. Z’s Samizdat, for now I’ll anonymize this “In The Wild” pic. It is just better that way, given the … Continue reading
From a reader…
Our parish has received a terrific seminarian this summer. He comes from a great background and his older brother is a priest so he seems to have a strong support at home. My question is how can my … Continue reading
We are watching closely the development of a possible – indeed increasingly likely – Personal Prelature for the SSPX.
Meanwhile, in a communication from the SSPX today we read that for Candlemas new seminarians received were tonsured and received their cassocks. … Continue reading
From a reader…
It has happened at least two times now where our pastor has preached 30 second homily and then says, ” and now our resident seminarian will offer some words on today’s gospel. ” The seminarian then gives a … Continue reading
From my email…
I just received a biretta from John! [Hastreiter of Leaflet Missal] I am very happy with the biretta, and even more grateful for the work you and Mr. Hastreiter have put into this project.
If you happen to know any … Continue reading
UPDATE 5 Nov:
John Hastreiter at Leaflet Missal in St. Paul forwarded this to me. It is from a grateful seminarian.
Thank you for the beautiful (and Italian) Biretta which arrived in the mail yesterday at Mundelein Seminary. This brought a much … Continue reading
UPDATE 13 AUG:
We have hit our initial goal!
I distributed a few of the birettas to the guys yesterday and they were pretty chuffed.
I should have some thank you notes pretty soon.
“But Father! But Father!”, you liberals are squeaking, “What… what … Continue reading
Once in a while it is good to be reminded that the oppression is still going on.
Did you see the story about the “conservative” seminarians who were given the heave ho from Maynooth Seminary in Ireland?
From Irish Catholic:
A number of Maynooth … Continue reading
Okay… this is going to be hard.
From a seminarian:
I am currently a ___ year seminarian attending ___ .
antecently, a new ‘policy’ was adopted here: all must receive Holy Communion standing.
The Holy See has made it absolutely clear that we all have the right to receive the … Continue reading
There is an extract from a wide-ranging interview at L’homme nouveau in French with His Eminence Robert Card. Sarah, Prefect of the Congregation for Divine Worship and Discipline of the Sacraments. He is rapidly rising on my list of favorite … Continue reading