Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Man-o-words: Yeah, I have seen this one all day. I keep thinking that this story absolutely captures the sad state of Catholicis m today, or more accurately , humanism under the name of Catholi...
- tho: Perhaps the priest might have been a little heavy handed. But suicide is a contradict ion of God, who created us with eternal souls, and it is blasphemou s for us subvert his mandate. The Lord...
- Roble: I have been tempted to suicide on several occasions. At such times the thought of damning myself definitive ly was all that prevented me. At the root of contemplet ing suicide is a person&...
- roma247: First of all, I was under the impression that once upon a time, suicides were not allowed to be buried in hallowed ground or to have a funeral Mass. I guess that is one of the things that...
- Benedict Joseph: There is no awareness of the tragic reality of personal sin and its relation to mental disorder, let alone of ontologica l reality of original sin and its existentia l impact on...
- Sawyer: Although it is true that nothing in the ChurchR 17;s Canon Law nor liturgical norms suggests treating a funeral as a “cel ebration of life,̶ 1; there is this in Sing to the...
- fishonthehill: I figured I would read about this on your blog. Yes Father Z you are correct, “fun erals are delicate and suicides even more so”; and I do not know what in fact the...
- Julia_Augusta: I am confused. I thought people who committed suicide don’t get a Catholic burial. Has it changed? [Yes, according to the circumstan ces.]
- Lurker 59: People gravitate towards a good narrative. The narrative of one’ s family, one’ s culture, one’ s religion, binds people into social structures and it becomes a part of...
- chantgirl: All Herods eventually meet death, and have to answer for their crimes. More and more I am convinced that St. JosephR 17; intercessi on needs to be sought more incessantl y for the...
- iPadre: The wink emoji posted as a ?
- iPadre: He’s headed to a Liturgy conference . ?
- Anita Moore, O.P.(lay): At least a guitar won’t have to get up and climb over you to go to the bathroom every 20 minutes.
- Semper Gumby: “Pew Research Center studied the issue in 2014, discoverin g that 0.4 percent of Americans, approximat ely 1 to 1.5 million people, identify as Wicca or Pagan̷ 0;R...
- Ave Maria: Some of the displaced Franciscan s of the Immaculate fled to this group. Well! That is not to be borne by the modernists in the Vatican, all the way to the top. Holiness of life with...
- PostCatholic: Why create a straw man when you can find the real thing? When it comes to demons and devils and ghosts and zombis and vampires and Sith lords and other bugaboos that “mad e you...
- Suburbanbanshee: Okay, there̵ 7;s a lot here to talk about: 1. The “Ore gon, Only Slightly Exaggerate d” video doesn̵ 7;t have any stang carriers, at least in the only vid I was...
- Hidden One: It seems that in the Church today, only the bishops and the laity have freedom of speech, and I’m not so sure about the bishops.
- Suburbanbanshee: Was his name Martin?
- comedyeye: Do bishops hear confession s in their diocese? Should they? My bishop told me that he doesn̵ 7;t hear confession s from anyone in the diocese unless it is completely anonymous to...
- Nigelteapot: JesusFreak 84, The two posts I have seen of yours on this site has both been attacks on Catholics in the defense of the occult, specifical ly “wic ca” which is as “...
- HvonBlumenthal: The mentality of dabbling in ouija boards is not dissimilar to that of most freemasons : “Oh it’s just a bit of fun… .!”
- BrionyB: “By contrast, at Westminste r Cathedral in London, in a supposedly Protestant country, the confession box is manned 44 hours per week.̶ 1; The Cathedral priests do a fantas...
- Bellarmino Vianney: Unfortunat ely there are very clearly several “wic cans” ;/witches that attend Catholic Churches on a regular basis. This makes sense – they want to destroy...
- adriennep: Remember, the Devil hates Latin for a reason. The Catholic Church has it (history, tradition, good drama) and they don’t.
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- Priest preaches at funeral, world falls on his head
- My View For Awhile: Limping Homeward
- Newly born religious groups, strangled in their cradles
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 14: LIBERALS!
- WDTPRS – Gaudete Sunday: “good news” of the chaff’s destiny in “unquenchable fire”
- Fast growth in Paganism, Wicca (the joke that is no joke)
- VIDEO: The new church of Gower Abbey (and the Extraordinary Ordinary)
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 13: The Dirty Bucket
- Priests and bishops who are probably going to Hell
- End of year 2018 charitable giving and YOU. A suggestion.
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 12: Patience
- Holy Face of Manoppello, Sankt Gallen, “designer babies”
- Card. Müller’s interview about Church and theology in Germany
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 11: Hark! a gladsome voice is thrilling
- TERRIFIC! School Choir accomplished, back to back, Solemn Roman and Eastern liturgy!
- NYC Day 1: Of Borscht and Buttons
- “If only women were in leadership positions…”
- Anglicans to mock baptism with transgender ceremony
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 10: If a liturgy looks silly, you can close your eyes. But if it sounds silly…
- A priest’s thought after going ‘ad orientem’
- Priests and Latin. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- My View For Awhile: ”Festina Lente” Edition
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 09: Proper Marian Devotion
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- Of getting Latin wrong, corrections, and of priests and their Latin or lack thereof
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 08: Egocentrics and God’s gifts
- A conflicted Fishwrap v. Francis on homosexuals in seminary and priesthood
- On this day in 2005 …
- Help a young entrepreneur!
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 07: “If she had not given her ‘Fiat!’…”
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
READER DONATIONS FROM…
- - JUNE -
To set up a recurring, monthly donation via PAYPAL (even a small one) go to the bottom of this blog and look for the drop down menu! Do you want yet another alternative to PayPal? I have set up an account with CONTINUE TO GIVE Get a link to donate via CONTINUE TO GIVE using your smart phone.
They take a larger percent taste, but they are an alternative.
Send snail mail to:
Fr. John Zuhlsdorf
733 Struck St.
PO BOX 44603 Madison, WI 53744-4603
I remember benefactors in my prayers and periodically say Mass for your intention.
Be a “Zed-Head”!
Fathers, you don’t know who might show up! It could be a “big fish” of one sort or other…
And... GO TO CONFESSION!
“And how we burned in the camps later, thinking: What would things have been like if every Security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if, during periods of mass arrests, as for example in Leningrad, when they arrested a quarter of the entire city, people had not simply sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every bang of the downstairs door and at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing left to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, hammers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand?... The Organs would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers and transport and, notwithstanding all of Stalin's thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt! If...if...We didn't love freedom enough. And even more – we had no awareness of the real situation.... We purely and simply deserved everything that happened afterward.”
- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Support Military Chaplains!
Visits tracked by Statcounter since Sat., 25 Nov. 2006:
What people say about Fr. Z
"The great Father Zed, Archiblogopoios" - Fr. John Hunwicke
"Some 2 bit novus ordo cleric" - Anonymous
"Rev. John Zuhlsdorf, a traditionalist blogger who has never shied from picking fights with priests, bishops or cardinals when liturgical abuses are concerned." - Kractivism
"Father John Zuhlsdorf is a crank"
"Father Zuhlsdorf drives me crazy"
"the hate-filled Father John Zuhlsford" [sic]
"Father John Zuhlsdorf, the right wing priest who has a penchant for referring to NCR as the 'fishwrap'"
"Zuhlsdorf is an eccentric with no real consequences" - HERE
- Michael Sean Winters
"Fr Z is a true phenomenon of the information age: a power blogger and a priest." - Anna Arco
“Given that Rorate Coeli and Shea are mad at Fr. Z, I think it proves Fr. Z knows what he is doing and he is right.” - Comment
"Let me be clear. Fr. Z is a shock jock, mostly. His readership is vast and touchy. They like to be provoked and react with speed and fury." - Sam Rocha
"Father Z’s Blog is a bright star on a cloudy night." - Comment
"A cross between Kung Fu Panda and Wolverine." - Anonymous
Fr. Z is officially a hybrid of Gandalf and Obi-Wan XD - Comment
Rev. John Zuhlsdorf, a scrappy blogger popular with the Catholic right. - America Magazine
RC integralist who prays like an evangelical fundamentalist. -Austen Ivereigh on Twitter
[T]he even more mainline Catholic Fr. Z. blog. -Deus Ex Machina
“For me the saddest thing about Father Z’s blog is how cruel it is.... It’s astonishing to me that a priest could traffic in such cruelty and hatred.” - Jesuit homosexualist James Martin to BuzzFeed
"Fr. Z's is one of the more cheerful blogs out there and he is careful about keeping the crazies out of his commboxes" - Paul in comment at 1 Peter 5
"I am a Roman Catholic, in no small part, because of your blog.
I am a TLM-going Catholic, in no small part, because of your blog.
And I am in a state of grace today, in no small part, because of your blog."
- Tom in comment
"Thank you for the delightful and edifying omnibus that is your blog."- Reader comment.
Our Lady of the Clergy, Pray for us!