Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Ben Kenobi: Reward?! Ugh. This is no different than Bishop Cupich speaking on marriage. Please, Father. It grieves those of us in the pews who specifical ly made the decision to turn AWAY from...
- Diane: Darn, couldnR 17;t see it. Looks like it was removed.
- Diane: Praying Father, that all the tinkering goes well! This is a great place!
- hilltop: My heavens??? Thank you, Father! What a time. Triumph of Good over Evil. David decapitate d Goliath and held the head aloft for the World to see. Briefly, the errors of Russia ceased to be...
- surritter: Sorry GHP, but my vote has to go to veritas vincit! Can’ t help but laugh out loud whenever Bugs gives his “Alb uquerque 8221; line. I want to think that Fr. Z agrees :)
- veritas vincit: “I knew I shoulda made that left toin at Albe-coy-k ee.” Thanks Fr Z, for reminding me of one of my favorite cartoons from my favorite wascally wabbit!
- Spinmamma: I will most definitely remember this work in my prayers.
- Spinmamma: Lo-o-o-ve me some Bugs Bunny. I have never moved passed my delight in those cartoon. So many good ones to choose from. “Wel come to my shop, Let me cut your mop, d-a-i-n-ti -ly,...
- GHP: One of my favorite lines is contained herein. Hmmmmmmm 8230; could it be either: “Of course, you know, this means war!” ; or “Wha t a maroon. 221; ??? –Guy
- VP: About those “ 230;little surprise beans that shoot out of his head on the hill… ;” I kept looking for tiny images of Max Faggioli but could not find them. Can you help out?
- Maximilian75: Could one possible feature be a ‘Ran dom Post’ ; button or a better, quicker way to read old articles? Often times I want some ‘new ’ (to me) Fr. Z goodness but...
- teomatteo: Tonight comedy! Yes, i like. But… favorite lines, “sto p steam̵ 7;n up my tail, whata ‘ya try’ n to do wrinkle it?” Maybe? Now how many kids would get...
- Semper Gumby: According to Marx and Engels, this triumph of the Imperialis t Running Dogs over Glorious Soviet Paradise should not have happened. Though, Soviet propagandi sts may have avoided the...
- iamlucky13: As I am unaware of what ties link this book or its author to Pope Francis, much less whether he himself finds the book credible or supports its distributi on, I’m concerned in...
- Gab: Bless you, Father. What marvelous imaginatio n that developed the story line! That was delightful and a nice reminder of my steady diet of Bugs Bunny cartoons of my childhood. I̵...
- Austin Steele: It’s true that these problems seem so distant until they happen close by. Someone vandalized a statue in my parish just this week. No apparent affiliatio n with Islam, but...
- seeker: Of note is the significan ce of Caesarea Philippi. There is a cave there thought to be too deep to measure, and a limitless source of water. It was believed to be a dwelling of the god Pan...
- Benedict Joseph: “Tra pped” ; in the priesthood . That lad appears to be trapped in self-decep tion and a lack of faith. I honestly can’ t believe that anyone could utter such a...
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: Bottom of the post.
- GregB: You can apply this argument to the whole Church. When a person enters into the Church they commit themselves to the New Covenant ratified in ChristR 17;s Blood. Our membership in the...
- Ave Crux: Is there a link to the video, or am I missing it in the article? I could use something edifying right now… . Thank you.
- JustaSinner: Served breifly as 56M, chaplains assistant. My chaplain was DEVOTE Southern Baptist and didn’t much care for Catholicis m. However, he understood that he could not change my beliefs...
- Legisperitus: The chaplain makes a good point about “no rights without duties. 221; It can even be said that our rights stem from our duties. We only have the right to the things we need...
- Akita: Yes, the part about “dead eyes” is telling. When the Democrats champion the unfettered murder of humans in utero they have not only dead eyes but deadened souls. Lord Have Mercy on our dying...
- MrsAnchor: ? That’s fantastic& #8230; Wish there had always been more of those valiant men around.
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- Something light for Friday
- The appallingly stupid “gay” book about the Vatican by the “gay” French writer
- Blog maintenance underway now and for some time to come
- Archbishop Viganò to participants in the Rome “summit” #PBC2019
- Military chaplain reacts to whiny “gay” priests
- 22 February 1980: Miracle on Ice
- My View For Awhile: Rapid Western Strike – RETURN TRIP
- Bob Hope makes insightful observation
- These, ladies and gentlemen, are men.
- Mighty St. Thérèse, victim of “fake news” and the cruelty of libs
- New book from Card. Sarah
- Open Letter From Cardinals Burke and Brandmüller to Conferences of Bishops: “The plague of the homosexual agenda has been spread within the Church”
- Fr. Finigan @FatherTF and the importance of memorization
- During the Rome “summit” we celebrate the Feast of St Peter Damian, Doctor of the Church
- Rome abuse “summit”, an SSPX video, and an @fatherz Jeremiad
- The Rome “summit”, “gay” priests, and #sodoclericalism – Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- Fr. Rutler’s Weekly Column
- BOOK RECEIVED: 1962 Parish Ritual – HUZZAH!
- Archbp. Viganò offers thoughts on The Present Crisis before the Rome “Summit”
- Suffering and attacks on the Church’s “Eldest Daughter”
- Mister McCarrick
- Fr. Z’s Kitchen: Shiny little fish!
- Interesting observation by @CCPecknold about laicization of McCarrick
- WDTPRS – Septuagesima Sunday: PRE-LENT BEGINS!
- Of Flaring Suns and Starry Nights
- A quick book plug: A Catholic Introduction to the Bible: The Old Testament
- Opportunity: R.I.P.
- POLL: Prayers after Mass
- “Know also this, that, in the last days, shall come dangerous times.”
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
New miscellaneous releases and events
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Tag Archives: sign of peace
For this Ordinary Form calendar Sunday, we have reached the 6th Sunday of Ordinary Time. In the Extraordinary Form this Sunday is the sober but helpful, purple-draped pre-Lent Quinquagesima Sunday. The calendar is helping those who follow the TLM to … Continue reading
Since the day I was ordained, I have celebrated both forms of the Roman Rite, the Novus Ordo and the TLM. When I am called upon to say the Novus Ordo, I jump up and help out. I prefer the older, … Continue reading
Today my friend Fr. John Hunwicke has a stunner of a post in which he detonates and explodes the present day commonly chaotic infra dignitatem group-grope “Sign of Peace” during Holy Mass. First, he writes of period during which the Our Father … Continue reading
For this Ordinary Form calendar Sunday, we have reached the 6th Sunday of Ordinary Time. In the Extraordinary Form this Sunday is the purple-draped, pre-Lent Septuagesima Sunday (Alleluia Buh-bye!). In the Ordinary Form we have a Collect based on a … Continue reading
Since the day I was ordained, I have celebrated both forms of the Roman Rite, the Novus Ordo and the TLM. When I am called upon to say the Novus Ordo, I jump up and help out. After all, I am … Continue reading
This Sunday’s Collect is rich. The ancient author was skilled. The translators of the current ICEL version blew it. We will see where they went wrong and then drill into a pair of words leading us back to the 3rd … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: My husband and I were at a local novus ordo this past Sunday because of weather and illness we were not able to travel to our regular EF Mass. During the sign of peace we keep … Continue reading
This week’s Collect is rich. The ancient author was skilled. The translators of the current ICEL version blew it. We will see where they went wrong and then drill into a pair of words leading us back to the 3rd … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: Father, I notice that at daily mass or where the mass is sparsely attended parishioners will wave to each other from across the church. Is there a better way to handle this situation? Sure there is! … Continue reading
From a reader: I went to Mass yesterday at the hospital chapel for the Assumption. I was announced that the celebrating priest would be late as he had morning mass in a town about 20 miles to the south. “No … Continue reading
From a reader: I recently read an opinion that giving the sign of peace at mass is irreverent. To quote her, ” Hand-holding is not only not in the rubrics of the Mass, it is a horrifically distracting, undignified and self-serving sacrilege that … Continue reading
From a reader: I’ve heard that the sign of peace at Mass is optional (for priest and people), and that its position within the Mass can be moved to another part of the liturgy such as the Introductory Rites. Are … Continue reading
Choose the answer closest to your thought and then give your comments in the combox below. You do not have to be registered to vote in the poll. Let’s get a good response! Perhaps other bloggers will help?
From a reader: My wife and I attend an Extraordinary Form Mass almost exclusively, but at times, whether due to weather or circumstance, are forced to attend the closer, Novus Ordo parish. As those go, it’s very good, but I … Continue reading