Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- MB: Hmmm. Life and liberty are human rights. Health care, food and water are things you have to work to procure for yourself. If someone helps you procure these things, it’s called chari...
- Fr. Reader: @Adriennep “we all” ?
- hwriggles4: Fr. Z: Have a safe trip. Sounds like you are feeling a little better. I traveled with my dad when he had some difficulty getting around. Delta was helpful in utilizing a wheelchair if...
- ocleirbj: Re: ” If he is not attracted to marriage, then giving up marriage isn’t a sacrifice. If he is celibate, unmarried, even if there is abstinence in body, the homosexual ’s attitude of...
- Mariana2: Thanks, Father!
- Mariana2: Thanks, Father!
- JonPatrick: Thanks Fr. Z! Apparently there is some wacky perfesser (who else) that is going around saying that God is a sexual predator or something like that because he forced himself on the...
- JonPatrick: It was thanks to your blog that I learned about Mystic Monk Coffee!! I was (and still am) a regular reader of National Catholic Register (the one not used to wrap fish) on the web and...
- JonPatrick: I have Peter Kwasniewsk i’s book on my Stack of Stuff to Read, can’ t wait to get to it.
- Prayerful: John the Baptist questioned Our Lord as to whether he was the Messiah, not out of ignorance (examples given), but as he knew his followers would soon no longer have him to lead them.
- JonPatrick: At our Byzantine Divine Liturgy the Gospel was of the woman that was bent over that Jesus cured on the Sabbath thereby incurring the wrath of the Pharisees. What was causing the woman...
- JonPatrick: Since the school I went to was called a Latin School I naturally had to endure 4 years of Latin which at the time I couldnR 17;t wait to get over with so I could get to the cool...
- iPadre: I talked about light as an Advent theme. Relating how moved I was during our Solemn Mass by candleligh t as I saw the sun begin to rise over the horizon. Our Lord tells us that He is the...
- Ben Kenobi: Two comments, two sides of the same coin. “Why doesn’t the LGBTQCDUAL AASASMFUNP VC (ALL The perversion s must be given their ‘due’) form their own church and bother the Protest...
- monstrance: Fr Z, Just mapped Ha Ha’s. – says it’s in Brooklyn. Is there a Manhattan locale ?
- SAHMmy: SawyerR 17;s comment notwithsta nding, I love hearing you call Ann Barnhardt your friend.
- Akita: Dear Father Z., You are the most holy multi-task er imaginable . Priest, chef, linguist, bird-watch er, apologist, confessor, celebrant, blogger, son, etc. I’ve loved your blog for well over...
- youngcatholicgirl: I heard one from a seminarian about a bishop who, in trying to say, “Sit Nomen Domini Benedictum ”, said, “Sit Nomen Domini Benedictus ”. The MC whisper...
- hwriggles4: Quite a few of our Protestant brethren are struggling with the LGBT issue. This summer, the Methodist church (my dad was a lifelong Methodist) had a convocatio n that was discuss...
- L.: Unfortunat ely, I think that the first requiremen t-often unfulfille d- for Priests in English-sp eaking Latin Rite Catholic Churches is command of the English Language.
- rollingrj: Belated happy blogoversa ry! (Fedora doff.) Like many of your readers, I have learned so much, been challenged and consoled in my personal and spiritual life, and inspired to make some...
- TonyO: I took Latin I in high school. Unfortunat ely, due to schedule conflicts, I could not take Latin II, and ended up with Italian I and Spanish I. So I am illiterate in 3 languages. But I still...
- adriennep: Yes, even in public schools in the 1960s, Latin was still taught and required for the really smart students, because it was the standard for true education. Even in 1969 Berkeley High....
- teomatteo: ” he has only weakened what little hope LGBTQ Catholics still have for his pontificat e.”& #8211;Jami e The lady doth whineth too much. I heard of a Q-gospel but never heard of no...
- WGS: Years ago, I came across the expression “a mumpsimus priestR 21;. For a bit of a laugh, look it up.
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- My View For Awhile: ”Festina Lente” Edition
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 09: Proper Marian Devotion
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- Of getting Latin wrong, corrections, and of priests and their Latin or lack thereof
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 08: Egocentrics and God’s gifts
- A conflicted Fishwrap v. Francis on homosexuals in seminary and priesthood
- On this day in 2005 …
- Help a young entrepreneur!
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 07: “If she had not given her ‘Fiat!’…”
- 7 Dec – Titanic, intriguing St Ambrose of Milan, bishop and doctor
- UPDATE on injuries and recovery with heartfelt thanks
- Solemn Requiem for @BishopMorlino in @MadisonDiocese
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 06: Our Lord will appear in His humanity so that He can be seen by the just and the wicked
- VIDEO – Funeral of @BishopMorlino of @MadisonDiocese
- Latin Mass Society of England & Wales @latinmassuk – Re-upping!
- Recent Registration
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 05: The priest, John the Baptist, points toward Jesus
- New art from Daniel MITSUI – great gift idea
- After the funeral of @BishopMorlino of @MadisonDiocese
- ASK FATHER: Can we cook with or drink Holy Water?
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 04: Your God of the Second Chance
- Sending snail-mail 2018 Christmas cards
- TAMPA: A TLM at a Jesuit school?!?
- The Exequies for @BishopMorlino in @MadisonDiocese
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 03: “take heed of the example of the prince of rebellion”
- And now a message from fictional priest Fr. Charles “Chuck” O’Malley
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 02: The time of silent apostasy
- My View For Awhile: Au revoir Edition
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 01: Exceeding great Love
- ASK FATHER: Why should a Protestant convert and join the Catholic Church?
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Tag Archives: Spirit
Poor little Spirit isn’t working anymore (so far as we know), but this is how he got there!
From a reader…
I have known many people who will change “Holy Ghost” to “Holy Spirit” the moment they come across it in a prayer, about as readily as they may switch “thee, thou and thy” to “you, you, and your.” I know … Continue reading
From poor little Spirit’s twin, Opportunity, comes this panoramic view. HERE.
It is stitched together from 817 images taken between 12 Dec 2011 and 8 May 2012 while Opportunity was stationed on an outcrop called “Greeley Haven” during the Martian winter.
According … Continue reading
After posting about the Seven Minutes of Terror, I was curious about Curiosity, the newest Mars Rover heading to the Red Planet.
Intrepid little Spirit isn’t working any more, since it became mired and died. Opportunity is working, but depends on … Continue reading
Those of you who have been reading here for a long while know of my admiration for poor little Spirit. Opportunity keeps rolling, of course. But …
Curiosity is coming.
And when I mean “Seven Minutes of Terror”, I don’t mean what … Continue reading
The intreprid little Mars rover Spirit, which began its mission in 2004 died, mired in sand, in 2009. It couldn’t capture enough sunlight to power up.
Spirit’s twin Opportunity is still going strong!
The orbiting Phoenix, circling Mars since 2006, recently … Continue reading
We’ve lost poor Spirit, but intrepid little Opportunity keeps motoring along.
NASA reports that Opportunity has after a 3 year portion of its already 8 year anabasis has crawled up to Endeavour crater, 14 miles in diameter. We should be able … Continue reading
We haven’t forgotten poor Spirit, but…
NASA to Announce Landing Site for New Mars Rover
July 18, 2011
WASHINGTON — NASA and the Smithsonian’s National Air and Space Museum will host a news conference at 10 a.m. EDT, Friday, July 22 to announce … Continue reading
Sad news from NASA:
NASA Concludes Attempts to Contact Mars Rover Spirit
The full version of this story with accompanying images is HERE.
PASADENA, Calif. — NASA is ending attempts to regain contact with the long-lived Mars Exploration Rover Spirit, which last communicated … Continue reading
I remain a real fan of the Mars Rover missions. One of the readers here, who works for NASA actually sent me a Spirit mission patch!
Poor Spirit… sniff.
Opportunity is still chugging along.
I tune in once in a while to the … Continue reading
From NASA comes this about one of the intrepid Mars Rovers… Opportunity:
NASA Mars Rover Getting Smarter as it Gets Older
NASA’s Mars Exploration Rover Opportunity, now in its seventh year on Mars, has a new capability to make its own choices … Continue reading
President Obama wants to kill NASA and the space program.
In reference to the poor little rover Spirit, stuck on Mars, a reader sent this cartoon:
I must admit I also hated Toy Story, one of the saddest movies ever made.
The efforts to free the Martian rover Spirit have failed.
Spirit is now imitating life.
From NASA with my emphases and comments:
WASHINGTON — After six years of unprecedented exploration of the Red Planet, NASA’s Mars Exploration Rover Spirit no longer will be … Continue reading
In case you missed this news about the intrepid little Mars Rover Spirit.
Further Tests Designed for Rover’s Right-Rear Wheel
December 07, 2009
A series of diagnostic tests on Spirit’s right-rear wheel on sols 2104 and 2105 (Dec. 3 and 4) investigated stalls … Continue reading