Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!Enter Amazon through my link, the image below (they took away our search box!), and I will get a small percentage of what you spend. (Pssst - Can't see it? Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
Here's a generic "catholic" search start point for Amazon:
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: I am confident that readers here will say a prayer to St. Michael for your protection from all spiritual and temporal harm! And tune in to MondayR 17;s podcast for sure!
- Semper Gumby: Excellent, Lentcazts. Thanks Fr. Z.
- catholic patrolman: Hey Father Z, As I informed you when we first met, you are an honorary member of our fair society and we are honored to be able to post your daily podcasts on our Facebook page...
- Kathleen10: frjim, please see “Par is Isn’ t Paris Anymore 221; and tell us why any nation should want to look like Paris these days. Liberals are so fascist. Raymond Arroyo dares to...
- tho: There was an article that I just read, about a cop killer being escorted through the Cook County jail, where he was applauded by some of the inmates. We are being inundated by people who have...
- Kathleen10: Multi-face ted problems are not solved with single response solutions. These shootings did not happen in the 1950’ ;s. What was better then? Those of us here know. People outside...
- The Masked Chicken: The first thing I must say is that the families of the shooting victims in Florida have my sympathies . Thankfully , I have never been at the scene of a mass shooting, but they...
- LeeGilbert: Without discountin g anything you’ ve said about the MSM, Father, there are several other factors that deserve a very close look, chief among them the imaginativ e formation of...
- Imrahil: Dear TonyO, allow me to agree in principle but take what you say one step further: you say Even fasting in to lose weight for health (not for vanity) I say: Vanity is by definition an...
- Ellen: At the daycare where my grandchild ren were, you had to used a keypad to get in. There was a list of who could and couldnR 17;t pick up the children and you had to have a ID and sign if...
- HeatherPA: I agree completely regarding situationa l awareness and the time has long been past for people to be proactive instead of reactive. The media will not change. They would never take any...
- AA Cunningham: The DLEMM – Dominant Liberal Establishm ent Mass Media – is anything but mainstream . They are extremists not unlike Call To Action, the National Schismatic Repor...
- e.e.: I have wondered the same thing about the media, Father. So much sensationa lism that can encourage those most troubled souls to do something terrible. The most recent attack in Florida...
- pbnelson: PTK_70, thank you for your wonderful analogy of the uprooted tree. And I almost hate to mention it, but the “rul es” of my request forbade exactly what you did. Please pardon...
- NBW: With the shooting deaths in Florida and the shooting of a police commander in Chicago; the media is subtly sending a message that guns are dangerous and should be taken away from everyo...
- Joe in Canada: To our edible bestiary we could add seal, in Newfoundla nd and Norway.
- KT127: You are absolutely right. But the media will not change anytime soon. We need to secure our schools. We know they are a target and have been for the last twenty years. Enough is enough....
- Andreas: In this and earlier posts, Father Z. has stressed the need for situation awareness. Those of us in the military and especially aviation have learned that situation awareness is created and...
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: That’ ;s a start. Not only around our schools.
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: Thus, confirming the choice of your username here? Ridiculous rabbit hole CLOSED.
- frjim4321: The marketing department s of MSNBC, CNN and FN are all much bigger than their production s units. In all cases, ratings and demographi cs run the show, and this goes from one end of the...
- Ellen: I think the idea of not naming, showing or following the shooters 24/7 is a wonderful idea. All this coverage glamorizes evil and makes these people into celebritie s. I recently read a...
- Fallibilissimo: The 2nd amendment should be either changed or scrapped 8230;it 217;s a bad law on so many levels.
- JonPatrick: So instead of “gun free zones̶ 1; maybe we need “abo rtuary free zones̶ 1; around our schools.
- JonPatrick: Concerning “gun free zones̶ 1; at school, here in Maine not too long ago it was common for High School kids during hunting season to bring their rifles to school and keep them...
CLICK and say your daily offering!
- JUST TOO COOL – Cops, ashes, and podcasts
- VIDEO Fr. Murray and Prof. Royal on some tough issues
- LENTCAzT 2018 04 – Ash Saturday: Getting ready for… it.
- Pontifical Requiem Mass for a great lover of the Church’s sacred liturgy
- LENTCAzT 2018 03 – Ash Friday: Grant me a little more time
- Role of #MSM in mass shootings: If it bleeds, it leads. Angry @fatherz asks fearful questions
- Wherein Fr. Z rants in the wake of the Florida school mass murder
- Friday after Ash Wednesday: Feast of the Crown of Thorns
- LENTCAzT 2018 02 – Ash Thursday: What you are I was, what I am you shall be.
- Your #AshWednesday Sermon Notes #ashtag – AUDIO Fr Z
- Ash Wednesday, Fasting, Abstaining, and You – with notes on alligator, endothermic moonfish, and muskrat
- LENTCAzT 2018 01: Ash Wednesday – Unto dust thou shalt return.
- Fun with @OneMadMomBlog – BuzzFeed – Alt-Right and @SebGorka
- LENTCAzT 2018 00: Shrove Tuesday – Get out your armor, pilgrim’s shoes and cloaks
- Singing and confession – Just Too Cool!
- Writing to Fr. Z
- Excellent Letter for Lent from Archbp. Chaput of @ArchPhilly – Fr. Z rants, gives 3 points of advice about sin.
- ASK FATHER: Why can lay people read at Mass?
- ASK FATHER: When should babies be baptized?
- OLYMPICS 2018 12 Feb: CURLING!
- BOOKS RECEIVED: @DouthatNYT on state the Church under Francis (terrific) – John Rist in Reading Augustine series (a scream)
- Benedict XVI’s resignation 5 years on. Your thoughts.
- Carmelite Nuns seeking Priest Chaplain
- JUST TOO COOL! Wherein Fr. Z is AMAZED at … coincidences? I think not.
- Concerning lying by omission, the perils of words, and the advantages of silence
- WDTPRS – 6th Sunday of Ordinary Time: “kissing the porch”
- Wherein Fr. Hunwicke explained and explains today’s “Festum Ovorum”
- ASK FATHER: Could a diocesan priest choose to say only the TLM?
- Your parish priest and YOU.
- Quinquagesima Sunday – Prepare for the fight of your life!
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
A book by an old friend…
Tag Archives: SSPX
From the site of the SSPX:
During a 20 minute interview with TVLibertés on January 29, 2017, Bishop Bernard Fellay, Superior General of the Society of St. Pius X (SSPX), commented on the crisis of the Church after the Second Vatican Council, the … Continue reading
From a reader…
For the Year of Mercy, Pope Francis gave permission to receive Absolution from SSPX priests. Has that permission ended with the Year of Mercy or is it still in effect? We can’t find an official answer explaining this.
You … Continue reading
From a reader, a priest…
We offer the old mass every Sunday at midday. Missa cantata with very sound teaching.
There are individuals who choose to attend Sunday mass at an sspx chapel near to us (and no nearer or more convenient … Continue reading
I have smart friends who think that – things being as they are – the SSPX should NOT at this time accept terms offered by the Holy See. It’s hard to see what that might entail… things being as they … Continue reading
From a reader…
As SSPX priest and bishops are canonically suspended, would it be a sin to listen, read or propagate a book or a talk by a priest or bishop of the Society ? For example, if I wish to listen to … Continue reading
Pope Francis releases Apostolic Letter, renews faculties to absolve abortion, extends confession for SSPX
His Holiness Pope Francis has issued an Apostolic Letter for the close of the Year of Mercy. It is 6600 words long (excluding notes) and it is called Misericordia et misera, a phrase taken from Augustine’s commentaries on the Gospel … Continue reading
From a reader…
I’ve been searching through the Internet, and since I’ve found absolutely nothing regarding this matter, I’ve thought I might as well just send this question to you so that you can be the first (hopefully) to write about it. The Year … Continue reading
The SSPX had their US seminary in Winona, MN in an old Dominican house.
But they grew.
They built a new US seminary Virginia.
They blessed it the other day.
From the often amusing Eye Of The Tiber:
Society of St. Pius X chess grandmaster Larcel Mafebvre has turned four of his pieces into bishops without approval from the World Chess Federation, officials have confirmed.
“Mr. Mafebvre has, without approval from the Federation, created bishops out of … Continue reading
A reader steered me to videos of a talk given in August in New Zealand by SSPX Superior, Bp. Bernard Fellay. It is broken into 6 parts on YouTube and is, frankly, dull to watch. But you might … Continue reading
From Christ und Welt, which is in German, via an English translation at Sunesis Press.
The Secretary of the Pontifical Commission “Ecclesia Dei” said that (with some added emphases and comments).
Note the references to doctrinal questions.
C & W: Recently there was … Continue reading
From a reader…
I am engaged to a girl who was raised attending a SSPX chapel her entire life. We will be married by a diocesan priest in the traditional form. She is unsure whether she can receive communion at a … Continue reading
From the SSPX website:
Bishop Bernard Fellay, Superior General of the Society of St. Pius X announced another Rosary Crusade as a spiritual preparation for the 100th anniversary of the apparitions of Our Lady of Fatima. [This is a serious anniversary.]
At the … Continue reading
You will recall that recently SSPX Bp. Bernard Fellay made a statement in which he distanced himself the Society from negotiations and rapid regularization, saying that canonical regularization is not a priority for them. The SSPX thinks they have “emergency … Continue reading
A Communique from the SSPX’s chief, Bp. Bernard Fellay, with my now oft-imitated, legendary treatment:
At the conclusion of the meeting of the major superiors of the Society of Saint Pius X that was held in Switzerland, from June 25 to 28, … Continue reading
A reader sent me to Le Salon Beige for a piece about how the vicar of Opus Dei (a personal prelature) thinks that a personal prelature structure could work for the SSPX:
Prélature personnelle pour la FSSPX : une bonne solution selon l’Opus … Continue reading
I have had notes from priests and from personnel in tribunals saying that people are saying, in effect, “Forget about our annulment case. Pope Francis says what we are doing is okay.” Some report as well that even in … Continue reading
I saw an interesting juxtaposition of churchy news items.
First, from the SSPX site DICI:
Europe: The churches are closing
That isn’t news, really. We have been seeing this everywhere. How the decades of reform have worked!
Next, from SSPX.org, we have some preaching … Continue reading
If you read Italian, there is a fascinating piece at La Stampa by Marco Tosatti (who is not one of the traitorous Italian Vaticanisti) about SSPX Bp. Alfonso de Galarreta’s view of Pope Francis’ view of the SSPX.
First, note that … Continue reading
The Holy See Press Office has confirmed the meeting. HERE
Hope springs eternal. Yesterday was the Season Opener of Baseball, it is the beautiful feast of the Annunciation after the joyous Octave of Easter, and now this…
This news was posted on … Continue reading