Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- St. Irenaeus: Saw something today that tracks with what I’ve been thinking: pray, tend to your corner of the garden, participat e in the sacraments . I’d also point out history is a...
- rollingrj: I realize the pro-life movement has had success in the past few years by using a kinder, gentler approach to persuade people of the correctnes s of their position. The poor-(pro- )choice...
- Hidden One: I refuse spiritual suicide chosen on the ground that others are committing spiritual manslaught er. Judas was a bishop.
- Hidden One: barryaltar server1985 , please don’ t commit spiritual suicide because of the sins of others.
- Atra Dicenda, Rubra Agenda: Father: that made my day, thank you!
- Ultrarunner: Synopsis of Archbishop Christophe PierreR 17;s address to the annual USCCB meeting: With respect to sexual abuse issues: Rule with an iron fist. Resist government interventi on...
- iamlucky13: What did the Congregati on claim as the reason for removing their mother superior and novice mistress? Where did the quoted words “sec tarian excesses 8221; come from? Is any...
- HvonBlumenthal: There is a part of the Church which is in communion with the Pope but refuses to accept any of his uncatholic decisions: the SSPX
- iamlucky13: “Any religion which demands nothing of its believers also asks you not to believe it.” I would contend on the contrary, it is not the Church that demands nothing of its...
- Atra Dicenda, Rubra Agenda: “GO TO CONFESSION . Examine your conscience s every day. Make peace with your neighbors. Perform works of mercy. Pray. Do penance. The day will come and we don’t...
- tho: Great post Father. You are a breath of fresh air, and your advice is solid.
- Dismas: @barryalta rserver198 5: I was where you were this past summer. I can’ t change Pope Francis 217; mind. I can’ t alter his past choices, particular ly in selecting the...
- PetersBarque: What a travesty that Catholics feel duped by the very ones who are suppose to protect them. PF is an ass (there, I said it) and is responsibl e for much of the present angst. He...
- MWindsor: The bishops don’ t give a damn about us. So long as they can remain corpulent in general and warm in the winter, we’r e left to find our own way to heaven or hell.
- LeeGilbert: dbonnevill e writes, “Not everyone wants to be…’ welcomed 8217; or ‘lov e bombed.' 8221; True enough, but, “Loo k at the Christians . See how they love one...
- Kathleen10: Sometimes people scoff at such signs, but didn’ ;t Jesus tell us to watch for them? God used the rainbow as a sign of the covenant for example. I’m a believer. Fr. Z. you...
- un-ionized: This is another version of those communion on the go packets they used to sell, a wrapped little wafer and a plastic wrapped little thingie of grape juice. To answer the above questi...
- crjs1: A lot is riding on February’s meeting. The Holy Father better have some comprehens ive proposals up his sleeve for the whole Church on the abuse crisis, to superceed the national confere...
- Clinton R.: That sad thing is how many “Cat holicsR 21; will see this and think “Wow , how cool, when can we do this?̶ 1; Thanks to Holy Communion in the hand, the belief in the...
- Charles E Flynn: Prof. Janet E. Smith: To the US Bishops: A (Friendly) Call to Repentance and Reform https://ww w.catholic vote.org/t o-the-us-b ishops-a-f riendly-ca ll-to-repe ntance-and -reform/
- Stephen: “Do let the Enemy win.” ; I think something is missing there :)
- bigtex: My team finally won the World Series last year, after 55 years of failure. Surely we are in the end times.
- youngcatholicgirl: My first reaction after reading this was, “Tha t was weird.R 21;
- LeeGilbert: FWIW, there is now a 6 AM Low Mass in the Dominican Rite in Latin at Holy Rosary Parish in Portland Monday through Saturday. The doors open at about 5:30AM. As of now this is a private...
- Dean: I’m pretty sure, based on the descriptio n, that this is the EF mass I go to; depending on exactly when you went it might have been two of my sons serving that day. Let me just encour...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- ASK FATHER: “I am doubting that the current Catholic Church is the Church it has always claimed to be”
- Strange Signs, the End Times and YOU
- A reader’s first impressions on attending the Extraordinary Form
- Horrifying Big Business Abortion Ad
- US Bishop begin 2018 November meeting: PRAY & FAST!
- Another really bad idea: Communion Pills
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – UPDATED
- Another group of women destroyed by the Vatican Congregation for Religious
- 100th Armistice Day, Veterans Day, Remembrance Day ACTION ITEM!
- @JamesMartinSJ shovels scandalous rubbish to justify sin
- WDTPRS – 32nd Ordinary Sunday: Our Identity and Extreme Ownership
- GERMANY: Catastrophic! USA next? @USCCB bishops meeting and YOU. ACTION ITEM!
- To US Bishops before their @USCCB meeting: Do not be afraid!
- Happy 243rd Birthday USMC!
- ASK FATHER: Some say Advent is not a penitential season.
- FEEDBACK: “I went to confession for the first time in nine years tonight.”
- Blog milestone: 90 Million
- ASK FATHER: If I am in the state of mortal sin, is there any point in praying?
- SCOTUS Justice RBG falls, breaks ribs, hospitalized
- “I had the image of a bishop sinking head downward…. sinking… sinking… clawing at the heavy miter on his head”
- MUST READ: The Papalatrous catholic Left and “Horizonal Schism”
- UPDATED: Holy See repression of a certain kind of bishop with a certain kind of message
- ASK FATHER: “Properly blessed” devotional objects
- Fr. Z muses: repression of Catholic speech and what we can do about it.
- Did an alien vessel just pass by? The mystery of Oumuamua.
- My While For Awhile: Election Day Edition
- JUST TOO COOL! Move to rename Hubble’s Law… for a priest
- Contrasts of projected visions of the Church
- VIDEO: A reaction to a first Traditional Latin Mass
- GREAT NEWS! Baronius Press “Roman Breviary” AVAILABLE AGAIN!
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Tag Archives: St. Agnes
A young woman at my home parish, St. Agnes in St. Paul, MN, penned a piece for the National Catholic Register in reaction to Pope Francis’ recent curious statements about liturgical reform.
As you may recall, the Pope (or, better, his ghost writer) … Continue reading
20 April 2017 was the 10th anniversary of the death of Msgr Richard Schuler. A great deal as been written about him and we all owe a debt of gratitude to him for what he did.
In his memory, and to … Continue reading
From a reader…
Can a Novus Ordo be ad orientem with Latin, chant, a subdeacon and deacon in traditional vestments?
Not only can the Novus Ordo be celebrated ad orientem, it ought to be. The rubrics indicate that this is the standard, the norm. The … Continue reading
Just for fun, The Great Roman Fabrizio sent some photos from the Mass celebrated by Card. Muller at the Church of St. Agnes on the P.za Navona. I thought you might like to see them. I am always happy to … Continue reading
Let us invoke St. Agnes, virgin and martyr.
O glorious Agnes who, though weak, was chosen by God to make His own might manifest in your martyrdom, together with the Holy Apostles intercede now before the throne of our Our Father … Continue reading
At my home parish of St. Agnes in St. Paul, MN, there are orchestral Masses (Mozart, Schubert, Haydn, Beethoven, etc.) on 30 Sundays of the year, along with Gregorian chant Propers.
This year they added a Mass to the repertory. The … Continue reading
On Sundays at my home parish in my native, St. Agnes in St. Paul, MN, the hour of Vespers has been sung in Gregorian Chant, using the Liber Usualis, at 3 pm for some 40 years… at least. Vespers followed by Benediction … Continue reading
There is a lovely post at Vultus Christi to which I direct your attention.
This is how it begins:
The wintertime liturgy sparkles with a constellation of virgin martyrs and holy women. The Roman Canon enshrines their names: Felicity, Perpetua, Agatha, Lucy, … Continue reading
Pope Francis went to a parish and allowed a lamb to be put over his shoulders.
Is there is a better way to smell like the sheep than that?
What I want to know is whether or not Pope Francis blessed lambs … Continue reading
I received a note from a parishioner at my home parish back in St. Paul, MN, The Church of St. Agnes.
I have been a parishioner at St. Agnes in St. Paul for 14 months having moved to the Twin Cities … Continue reading
I want about 15 minutes of your time.
If you are a bishop or a priest or a seminarian, please give your special attention.
Below is an excerpt from a documentary to be shown soon on EWTN (30 April 6:30 EDT) about … Continue reading
The Holy Father blessed lambs today, the feast of St. Agnes, as usual. The lambs are associated with Agnes, because of the Latin similarity of their names, Agnes and agnus. Get it?
Those sisters in the background are Benedictine nuns … Continue reading