Search Fr. Z’s Blog
When you shop…... through Amazon, please, come here first? BACK TO SCHOOL SHOPPING? Enter Amazon through my search box. I'll then get a small percentage of everything you buy. (Pssst - Can't see the search box? Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
A search box for Amazon UK is at the bottom of the blog.
- You keep this blog, and me, going. I pray for benefactors.
There is a subscription form at the bottom of this page!
- kittenchan said One of the best responses I ever heard to the idea...
- TNCath said As a regular visitor to the Diocese of Killaloe, I...
- Gaz said I agree with Father and don’t see that the D...
- Gaz said Our Bishop ordained 3 transitional Deacons today....
- Venerator Sti Lot said Cordelio, Note, among other passages, footnote 7,...
- murtheol said Fr. Z, I acknowledge that I might be out of my dep...
- CharlesG said Of course it’s just ridiculous that the bish...
- AvantiBev said Auguri a tutti napoletani !
- Cantor said I would like to give Bishop O’Reilly a sligh...
- MouseTemplar said Oh, that dear little boy. He looks so much like my...
- Venerator Sti Lot said Andrew, I only saw your comment after I sent my fi...
- Venerator Sti Lot said I arrived at the comments with amenamen’s qu...
- Venerator Sti Lot said If St. Godric of Finchale was a pirate, as some ev...
- tmhester said As a graduate of the great Seton Hall University (...
- kpoterack said According to a CNA news report “sources clos...
- kpoterack said According to a CNA news report just released R...
- Athelstan said TWF, “In large, rural dioceses where one pri...
- Athelstan said Folks here seem to think that Kathleen McDonnell a...
- McCall1981 said Vatican sources deny that Pope is upset about Card...
- murtheol said Allen S. your comment is exactly what I am saying:...
- kpoterack said Check out the latest (Summer 2014) issue of Commun...
- Andrew said amenamen “Islamism” is a recently coined word, not...
- Cafea Fruor said Actually, the Bishop will never ordain any deacons...
- pattif said It sounds to me as if Cardinal Kasper knows he can...
- MariaKap said Arrrr. And don’t be fergettin yer pirate nam...
- AidWater said This is shocking but surprises me in the diocese,...
- Imrahil said Dear Unwilling, indeed, indeed. Or take the Moloch...
- Cordelio said This also prompted me to read the text of the lect...
- YoungLatinMassGuy said Is this jihadism and “Islamism” inherent in Islam?...
- MasterofCeremonies said The Baofeng is my favorite HT. Great little radio....
My wish lists
The horse is made ready for the day of battle, but the victory belongs to the LORD.
- Proverbs 21:31
Support them with prayer and fasting.
CLICK and say your Daily Offering!
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Help Monks in Wyoming, Fr. Z, and get great coffee too!
Food For Thought
“The legalization of the termination of pregnancy is none other than the authorization given to an adult, with the approval of an established law, to take the lives of children yet unborn and thus incapable of defending themselves. It is difficult to imagine a more unjust situation, and it is very difficult to speak of obsession in a matter such as this, where we are dealing with a fundamental imperative of every good conscience — the defense of the right to life of an innocent and defenseless human being.”
- St. John Paul II
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
A morsel for thought…
"If your work is strong enough for someone to hate you, it's strong enough for someone to love you. The middle is what you should fear."
- Sean McCabe @seanwes
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…... and there will be nearly 1,000,000 page loads this month.
- “Be Thou King of all those who are still involved in the darkness of idolatry or of Islamism….”
- PSA: Talk Like A Pirate Day
- The blood of San Gennaro liquefied!
- Irish bishop caves under pressure, won’t ordain only male deacons
- ¡Hagan lío! TLM now more than ever!
- Up and away! St. Joseph of Cupertino
- RECENT NOTES and THANKS TO READERS
- HAM RADIO stuff again: Echolink QSL request by RADIOGRAM.
- Card. Kasper accused other Cardinals of attacking the Pope
- Synods and Sausage: having a Church isn’t for the squeamish
- ASK FATHER: Is it wrong to use Holy Water to bless my unbaptized children?
- Where are the September Ember Days? (And some other fascinating stuff!)
- “There are not a series of rules made up by the Church; they constitute divine law, and the Church cannot change them.”
- Emergency Contact, Medical Information and YOU!
- St. Robert Bellarmine
- UPDATED ACTION ITEM! 20% off Book in defense of marriage, tradition – Essay Titles!
- The possible demotion of Card. Burke. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- Fishwrap: Approve of “gay” sex or risk a shrinking, irrelevant Church.
- San Francisco: Pontifical Mass!
- ASK FATHER: What time of day should Father be saying his Office?
- Crux – Fr. Z’s initial observations
- Our Sorrowful Mother, Queen of Martyrs
- YOUR URGENT PRAYER REQUESTS
- Those zany Satanists!
- Good news on the Spanish Front!
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- Summorum Pontificum 7 years on. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- “If God exists, He is evil….” Not.
- David Haines, rest in peace. Mass for his intention.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
Identity theft is a serious problem that you do NOT want to have. I use Lifelock.
Wyoming Catholic College!
A great place in Rome…
See my post about the Domus Australia HERE
More food for thought:
“I expect to die in bed, my successor will die in prison and his successor will die a martyr in the public square. His successor will pick up the shards of a ruined society and slowly help rebuild civilization, as the church has done so often in human history.”
Francis Card. George
Check out the Cardinal Newman Society feed!
I have been giving out these tougher-than-nails, no-nonsense Rosaries:
Please follow me on Twitter!
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
More food for thought…
"All laws which are repugnant to the Constitution are null and void."
- Marbury v. Madison, 5 U.S. 137, 176
Even More Food For Thought
"Men by their constitutions are naturally divided into two parties: 1. Those who fear and distrust the people, and wish to draw all powers from them into the hands of the higher classes. 2. Those who identify themselves with the people, have confidence in them, cherish and consider them as the most honest and safe, although not the most wise depositary of the public interests."
- Thomas Jefferson to Henry Lee, 1824. ME 16:73
Tag Archives: St. Augustine
At the time of this writing it is still the 25th Sunday of Ordinary Time, aka the 18th Sunday after Pentecost in the Extraordinary Form of the Roman Rite.
It has been just a few days since the release of The … Continue reading
The Collect for the 24th Ordinary Sunday was not in pre-Conciliar editions of the Roman Missal but it has an antecedent in the ancient Veronese Sacramentary amongst the prayers used during September.
Respice nos, rerum omnium Deus creator et rector, et, … Continue reading
From a reader:
Thank you for the recommendation on the biography [of St. Augustine by Hollingworth]; I have purchased it at Amazon through your site. Can you recommend a good translation of the “Confessions” and/or “The City of God”? Kindle is … Continue reading
Pope Francis say Mass today, 28 August, at the Church of St. Augustine in Rome.
The Mass will be streamed live via the Internet beginning at 5:55 PM CET, 10:55 AM CDT, 11:55 AM EDT.
To watch on the Vatican web site, … Continue reading
I am reading a new biography of Augustine published by a fresh, talented writer, Miles Hollingworth.
Don’t let the title, St Augustine of Hippo, An Intellectual Biography, fool you. This is not a highbrow book intended for college professors, with an … Continue reading
I had an email from the Benedictines at Norcia in Italy. They sent the text of a sermon given some time ago by Fr. Cassian Folsom, OSB. Given recent events and the sermon’s topic, it occurred to me that we … Continue reading
This week’s Collect is effectively the same as one in the ancient Gelasian Sacramentary and the prayer in the 1962 Missale Romanum used during the week after Trinity Sunday.
Deus, in te sperantium fortitudo, invocantibus nostris adesto propitius, et, quia sine … Continue reading
Today is the feast of St. Aurea (in Greek Chryse, “Golden Girl”) of Ostia. She is an ancient martyr. You can read about here in these ancient Acta, HERE.
There is on the edge of Ostia Antica, the fascinating ruins of … Continue reading