Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- SKAY: A couple of years ago I thought we might have to hide our good priests from the government but thankfully that does not seem to be the problem at the moment. I never thought that possibilit y...
- dahveed: I’m reminded of the travails that Saint Athanasius endured by the treatment of Archbishop Vigano and Father Kalchik, but I believe we’r e just beginning the metaphoric al road...
- aiello01: Vatican II formalized what Catholics need to know for the future of the Church. The Church is not centered solely on the behavior of the hierarchy. It should not be a crisis for the...
- WmHesch: Instead of a communal service WITHOUT individual confession , what if, as the church becomes smaller and poorer, we return to the early church practice of confessing our sins in public? At...
- Ace: Fr. Z, the other day you wrote, “You lay readers have strong influence. Get organized. Find friendly priests. Form base communitie s and get to it.” What does this mean? How do we have an...
- Spade: I’m just going to point out again that Duolingo is a great resource and it would be pretty cool if some folks who knew Latin could put together a course. Like, four people did Irish....
- Gab: @Benedict Joseph I agree. Two whistle blowers (2 we know of!) have already gone into hiding, others including religious orders have been removed from their positions. And the sodocleric alism...
- Lurker 59: To those bishops who read this posting: Man up. You are a bishop and a sovereign of your own diocese. You do not need a committee to tell you what to do and the Pope is your brother, not...
- Benedict Joseph: Quite honestly I’m beginning to believe we have seen nothing yet. After last weeks catastroph e it is now more than reasonable to believe anything can happen, and there is no...
- LeeGilbert: Related: There is now a daily Dominican Rite low Mass in Latin mornings at 6AM Monday through Saturday at Holy Rosary parish in Portland, OR. This has been undertaken by the priests of...
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: Sometimes I read comments here and wonder and ponder and weigh. Good GRIEF, people! Get a grip! WORK HARDER! EXCEL in charity in your parishes. Convince, move, cajole, persua...
- Augustine Thompson O.P.: For the priest who wants to learn Latin basically for just Mass and Office, I think the best choice is Scanlon and Scanlon 217;s _Latin Grammar_ (https://w ww.amaz...
- Nicholas: I know a 94 year old Jesuit who is faithful. He sometimes says the TLM. He is in good health for his age.
- Fuerza: I’m glad that this question was submitted. I’ve actually spent a lot of time wondering the same thing, since my scrupulosi ty often turns what should be a very simple confess...
- PostCatholic: It’s hideous! I like it!
- LatinMan: Let me just say that while I deplore the doctrinal confusion and weak and inept leadership that Francis’s Pontificat e has brought upon the Church, let me just say that His Holines...
- Semper Gumby: Fr. Rosica forgot to publish that list using the PeopleR 17;s Font: Gebrochene Grotesk. Oh well, the Struggle Session will clear up that oversight. https://de .m.wikiped ia.org/...
- RCAVictor: Brilliant and comforting , Father – thank you.
- Semper Gumby: I’m inclined to go with iPadre on this, with an end of an era but not end of the world. But Go to Confession indeed. Well, it’s Saturday morning across the fruited plains...
- WmHesch: I always hoped Mary, Queen of the Universe Shrine in Orlando would get the TLM. It’s not really conducive to TLM architectu rally, but would be key to have it there in tourist central
- anj: It is very simple: Pope Francis does not need to suppress anything. He just amends SP to require permission of the local bishop to say the TLM. He has already done many more radical things. I...
- St. Christopher: Father Z, I am not certain that you are correct on this one. What about the Latin Mass, and the very existence of Catholicis m at all in Henry VIII and Elizabeth I’s Engla...
- Imrahil: Brief note concerning the translatio n of Hochschule : As this is not a context where the focus is on linguistic precision, let’ s just say “uni versity 221; and be done...
- Imrahil: Just a brief throw-in: Let’ s not mix up the word “dog matic̶ 1; referring to a rank of certaintly (viz., absolute certainty) with the word “dog matic̶ 1; refer...
- Kerry: Marse Robert, you wrote: “VII also does contain dogmatic portions, and dogmatic statements in a pastoral document are still dogmatic statements of the magisteriu m. For example, a Pope...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- To Prelates: “Don’t Pee on My Leg and Tell Me It’s Raining.”
- Pre-Post Thanksgiving, Pre-Post Christmas Shopping
- ASK FATHER: Could the Church make “communal services” the norm for the Sacrament of Penance?
- UPDATED BRICK BY BRICK in Florida! New Sunday TLM established.
- Latin-less Priests and Homeschoolers – UPDATED
- More Jesuit antics in that ‘caput malorum omnium’ the Church in Germany
- ASK FATHER: Could Latin be suppressed? Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- Wherein Fr. Z rants
- A solid “state of the question” VIDEO about The Present Crisis
- In how many ways is this creepy?
- HEADS WILL ROLL! A new “You won’t believe your eyes ugly” altar
- Why homosexualists hate Papa Ratzinger so much.
- My View For Awhile: Delayed Edition & Fr. Z’s Kitchen
- Solipsistic, self-aggrandizing @FatherRosica dares to vet Catholic news sources
- ASK FATHER: “I am doubting that the current Catholic Church is the Church it has always claimed to be”
- Strange Signs, the End Times and YOU
- A reader’s first impressions on attending the Extraordinary Form
- Horrifying Big Business Abortion Ad
- US Bishop begin 2018 November meeting: PRAY & FAST!
- Another really bad idea: Communion Pills
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – UPDATED
- Another group of women destroyed by the Vatican Congregation for Religious
- 100th Armistice Day, Veterans Day, Remembrance Day ACTION ITEM!
- @JamesMartinSJ shovels scandalous rubbish to justify sin
- WDTPRS – 32nd Ordinary Sunday: Our Identity and Extreme Ownership
- GERMANY: Catastrophic! USA next? @USCCB bishops meeting and YOU. ACTION ITEM!
- To US Bishops before their @USCCB meeting: Do not be afraid!
- Happy 243rd Birthday USMC!
- ASK FATHER: Some say Advent is not a penitential season.
- FEEDBACK: “I went to confession for the first time in nine years tonight.”
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Tag Archives: St. John Chrysostom
For this Ordinary Form calendar Sunday, we have reached the 6th Sunday of Ordinary Time.
In the Extraordinary Form this Sunday is the sober but helpful, purple-draped pre-Lent Quinquagesima Sunday. The calendar is helping those who follow the TLM to prepare … Continue reading
For this Ordinary Form calendar Sunday, we have reached the 6th Sunday of Ordinary Time. In the Extraordinary Form this Sunday is the purple-draped, pre-Lent Septuagesima Sunday (Alleluia Buh-bye!).
In the Ordinary Form we have a Collect based on a prayer … Continue reading
[B]ecause he had enjoined on them great things, to raise their courage He reassures them that He will be with then always, “even to the end of the world.” Now do you see the relation of His glory to His … Continue reading
Over at Vultus Christi, which I check every day, dom Mark posted a disturbing quote from St. John Chrysostom’s On the priesthood:
All men are ready to pass judgment on the priest as if he was not a being clothed with … Continue reading
I am – horribile scriptu – considering subscribing to the online New York Times (aka Hell’s Bible) for the duration of all the papal stuff going on. Know your enemy, after all.
Even as I think about this, I keep in … Continue reading
The Roman Martyrology has a few particularly interesting entries today.
Who wants to work with them?
I find the inter-meshing, even scrambling, of dates interesting.
BTW… perendie means “the day after tomorrow”. Pridie is “the day before”.
Festum exaltationis Sanctae Crucis, quae, postridie dedicationis … Continue reading
Today in the Ordinary Form calendar it is the feast of St. John Chrysostom (+407).
I would guide your attention to a little attended to Letter of Pope Benedict XVI about St. John Chrysostom. I wrote about it here.
Also, I will … Continue reading
Today, looking for things about the Sanctus, I ran across this, which priests could incorporate into an examination of conscience:
From Book VI On the priesthood by St. John Chrysostom. My emphases:
4. […] What manner of man ought [the priest] to … Continue reading
Today is the feast of St. James the Apostle. This is James, the son of Zebedee and brother of John. He and John were nicknamed “Boanerges“, “Sons of Thunder”. James is the only Apostle whose martyrdom is recorded in … Continue reading
Did any of you notice this?
This took me a bit by surprise.
Card. Bertone went to Kazakhstan and gave the Orthodox Church there a major relic of St. Andrew from those venerated in Amalfi.
I recall a few years ago when John … Continue reading
We continue our Patristic Rosary Project today with the:
2nd Glorious Mystery: The Ascension
Everything about the life of the Lord is a blessing for us. After His resurrection the Lord blessed the Apostles with His presence, gloriously risen. When His earthly … Continue reading