Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!Enter Amazon through my link, the image below (they took away our search box!), and I will get a small percentage of what you spend. (Pssst - Can't see it? Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
Here's a generic "catholic" search start point for Amazon:
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Fallibilissimo: These discussion s on conscience are all fine and dandy but, speaking of concrete lived experience , maybe it’s time we start hearing something about what obedience and disobed...
- Malta: You are too funny Father! “cat holic Red Guard.R 21; No one who reads your posts could miss that nuance! ToucheR 11;well said!
- Imrahil: Dear JesusFreak 84, or, you could reconsider your position (which is apparently “the State is the Christian& #8217;s enemy̶ 1;) in favor of the Catholic position, which is that...
- Pharisee: Henry VIII didn’ ;t want to keep his wedding vows. What’ ;s happening now is the popularisa tion of that oath-break ing. Christ points towards Calvary. We must renounce sin, and...
- Bunky: My late father, who loved Vatican II, had actually seen the Pope’ ;s demonstrat ion of the New Mass back then. At the time, he said, priests had a question as to who, precisely, would...
- FrankWalshingham: Living in DC, I have seen then let Dominican priests from across the street and FSSP priests say Mass in the Extraordin ary Form at the Basilica. Its a shame they are discrim...
- JARay: I would be quite happy to echo what the writer above me here has written were it not for the last paragraph saying that Pope Pius X was clairvoyan t and Pope Paul VI was destructiv e. Maybe...
- benedetta: Far from “accompani ment”, this seems much more an abandonmen t.
- Atra Dicenda, Rubra Agenda: What in Hell is Cupich talling about?
- David L Alexander: The experience s of others notwithsta nding (and which from my own experience are quite plausible) , the Chapel of Our Lady of Lourdes has a Traditiona l Mass scheduled for every...
- SenexCalvus: Suburbanba nshee writes: “It’s almost as if rewards and punishment s are part of one’s lived experience . It even seems that rewarding good behavior while repenting and amending from...
- Kathleen10: Sorry, one more thought after the fact. When you stop and consider this is a high ranking priest calling for a man to lose his actual job, his employment , it boggles the mind. Raymond...
- oldCatholigirl: Beautiful music! And elegant Collect from the EF. However, in our culture, tempura could hardly be considered a penitentia l food. For me, anyway, it would be a special treat.
- Sportsfan: G.A. Henty wrote a book on the war in the Vendee called No Surrender! A Tale Of The Rising In La Vendee.
- Kathleen10: So we’r e about to see how EWTN feels about things. It’s not going to be possible to avoid taking a position, for or against. There are a lot of fence sitters but that...
- JonathanTX: I wonder if these Bishops and others in the Church are actively trying to destroy it, or are just completely blind to the logical end that this subjectivi sm leads to. If something as...
- richdel: When using data (what the conscience of those with “liv ed experience ” tells us) to drive decisions (discernin g in what manner doctrine is developing ) we need the proper...
- Mary Jane: Antonin, you have a point about learning to work with all kinds of people and get along. I know that can be a weakness of homeschool ing – there is a possibilit y the homeschool ed...
- Ave Crux: Bishop Serratelli , of the Paterson Diocese in NJ, also asks each year that all the parishes in the diocese schedule Confession s on Monday of each week during Lent in addition to their...
- New Sister: @Suburbanb anshee & @guadete thank you for the informatio n search – I appreciate having it! A colleague also found it here, https://ad oremus.org /2007/12/3 1/Domus...
- Gus Barbarigo: Today (Feb. 21st) is the feast of another very timely saint, Peter Damian: https://ww w.lifesite news.com/n ews/interv iew-how-st .-peter-da mian-confr onted-the- plague-of- homose...
- tho: The real harm of watering down the teachings of the church, is to the average pew sitter, who wants to obey the undiluted teaching of our Lord. What these half witted liberal prelates are...
- JesusFreak84: I wouldnR 17;t even send my kids (if I had any :( ) to a Catholic school that required government certificat ion of teachers. If I wanted my kids to be taught by government -appr...
- adriennep: Don’t forget that EWTN’s Michael Warsaw was appointed to the Vatican’s Secretaria t for Communicat ions/Media as a consultor& #8230;at the same time last April as Fr. James Martin, and...
- tamranthor: So, if my “liv ed experience ” (as if there were any other form of experience ) tells me that the Magisteriu m of the Church is correct, and we should all strive to conform...
CLICK and say your daily offering!
- LENTCAzT 2018 09 – Thursday in the 1st Week of Lent: The inexhaustible virtue of the Word
- Fr. Murray on “lived experience”, “accompaniment”, “conscience”
- More news from the New catholic Red Guard
- Making the Church appealing. What “sells”?
- LENTCAzT 2018 08 – Wednesday in the 1st Week of Lent: Never ending combat
- 20 Feb – Feast of Sts Francisco and Jacinta of Fatima
- Of “paradigm shift” interest
- Spain: young people dancing a jota in reparation for blasphemy against the Blessed Virgin
- Mega-Masses and too many Hosts
- The State v. Self-Reliance
- LENTCAzT 2018 07 – Tuesday in the 1st Week of Lent: subtle temptation
- Attacks on the family
- My View For Awhile: Capital Edition
- Books for boys. Suggested titles and an additional point.
- LENTCAzT 2018 06 – Monday in the 1st Week of Lent: “I warned you!”
- Wherein Fr Longenecker schools @JamesMartinSJ
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- WDTPRS 1st Sunday of Lent (N.O.): The Lenten “Sacrament”
- LENTCAzT 2018 05 – 1st Sunday of Lent: Anger and Reason
- Commandments are NOT mere “ideals” from which some are excused because, “They’re tooo haaard!” Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- JUST TOO COOL – Cops, ashes, and podcasts
- VIDEO Fr. Murray and Prof. Royal on some tough issues
- LENTCAzT 2018 04 – Ash Saturday: Getting ready for… it.
- Pontifical Requiem Mass for a great lover of the Church’s sacred liturgy
- LENTCAzT 2018 03 – Ash Friday: Grant me a little more time
- Role of #MSM in mass shootings: If it bleeds, it leads. Angry @fatherz asks fearful questions
- Wherein Fr. Z rants in the wake of the Florida school mass murder
- Friday after Ash Wednesday: Feast of the Crown of Thorns
- LENTCAzT 2018 02 – Ash Thursday: What you are I was, what I am you shall be.
- Your #AshWednesday Sermon Notes #ashtag – AUDIO Fr Z
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
A book by an old friend…
READER DONATIONS FROM…
- - FEBRUARY - AKP (monthly), NF (monthly), JB (monthly), AS (monthly), PC (monthly), LL (monthly), MG (monthly), AR (monthly), A LLC (monthly), TS (monthly), MMcG (monthly), CRN (monthly), AK (monthly), LM (monthly), TB (Amazon Kindle Wish List), MJC (monthly), LC (monthly), JJ (monthly), TT (monthly), KZ, MR, MR, JW (monthly), BMcC! (monthly), TR (monthly), BB (monthly), MD (monthly), MMcH (monthly), MW (monthly), EDJr (monthly), PE (monthly), AD ($1/day), TS (monthly), RL (monthly), KT (monthly), TeachNarnia.com (monthly), AP (monthly), JC (monthly), CHEJr! (monthly), AM (monthly), RetroToyCo (monthly), SS (monthly), MD ($1/day), AP (monthly), RL (monthly), AR (monthly), CF (monthly), RK (monthly), TY (monthly), J-AF (monthly), MG (monthly), Fr MF (monthly), JH (monthly), SK (monthly), LS (monthly), AP (monthly), CO'C (monthly), ML ($1/day), NS (monthly), KC (monthly), SH (monthly), NA (monthly), JR (monthly), MK (monthly), MF (monthly), PS (monthly), ST (monthly), FF (monthly), FW (monthly), TB (monthly), JL!!, EL!!, DJ (monthly), JB (monthly), FV (monthly), JL (monthly), RMcE (monthly), DE (monthly), JO!!!!!, CB (monthly), PL (monthly), BS (monthly), MS ($1/day), TB (monthly), SB (monthly), BK (monthly), WH (monthly), PMcD (monthly), RW (monthly), St Augustine Academy Press ($1/day), JM (monthly), JC (monthly), CB (monthly), VR (monthly), BB (monthly), MW (monthly), BC (monthly), MK (monthly), FZ (monthly - NEW), TP (monthly), JE (monthly), DJ (monthly), WB (monthly), PO (monthly), GG!! (monthly), ML (monthly), CK (monthly), SZ (monthly), St. Emiliani's Home for Girls Raised by Wolves (monthly), KB (monthly), JP (monthly), JB (monthly), SH (monthly), BC (monthly), SC (monthly), LS (monthly), LM (monthly), SJ (monthly), SS (monthly), CS (monthly), CDeK (monthly), MM (monthly), JWM (monthly), DC ($1/day), TB (monthly), MS (monthly), DRFB (monthly), LJS (monthly), CK (monthly), MH (monthly), PMcG (monthly), RJ (monthly), LL (monthly), DC (monthly), MH, JS (monthly), CR (monthly), KE (monthly), MH )$1/day), CJ (monthly), GZ, KH (monthly), AN (monthly), SJS (monthly), DG (monthly), DG, RM, RW (monthly), JP (monthly), MR (monthly), SMcK-D (monthly), AW, CJG (monthly), GBJD (monthly), MG (monthly), JO (monthly)
To set up a recurring, monthly donation via PAYPAL (even a small one) go to the bottom of this blog and look for the drop down menu! Do you want yet another alternative to PayPal? I have set up an account with CONTINUE TO GIVE Get a link to donate via CONTINUE TO GIVE using your smart phone.
They take a larger percent taste, but they are an alternative.
Send snail mail to:
Fr. John Zuhlsdorf
733 Struck St.
PO BOX 44603 Madison, WI 53744-4603
I remember benefactors in my prayers and periodically say Mass for your intention.
Be a “Zed-Head”!
Fathers, you don’t know who might show up! It could be a “big fish” of one sort or other…
And... GO TO CONFESSION!
“And how we burned in the camps later, thinking: What would things have been like if every Security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if, during periods of mass arrests, as for example in Leningrad, when they arrested a quarter of the entire city, people had not simply sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every bang of the downstairs door and at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing left to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, hammers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand?... The Organs would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers and transport and, notwithstanding all of Stalin's thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt! If...if...We didn't love freedom enough. And even more – we had no awareness of the real situation.... We purely and simply deserved everything that happened afterward.”
- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Support Military Chaplains!
Visits tracked by Statcounter since Sat., 25 Nov. 2006:
What people say about Fr. Z
"The great Father Zed, Archiblogopoios" - Fr. John Hunwicke
"Some 2 bit novus ordo cleric" - Anonymous
"Rev. John Zuhlsdorf, a traditionalist blogger who has never shied from picking fights with priests, bishops or cardinals when liturgical abuses are concerned." - Kractivism
"Father John Zuhlsdorf is a crank" "Father Zuhlsdorf drives me crazy" "the hate-filled Father John Zuhlsford" [sic]
"Father John Zuhlsdorf, the right wing priest who has a penchant for referring to NCR as the 'fishwrap'" - Michael Sean Winters
"Fr Z is a true phenomenon of the information age: a power blogger and a priest." - Anna Arco
“Given that Rorate Coeli and Shea are mad at Fr. Z, I think it proves Fr. Z knows what he is doing and he is right.” - Comment
"Let me be clear. Fr. Z is a shock jock, mostly. His readership is vast and touchy. They like to be provoked and react with speed and fury." - Sam Rocha
"Father Z’s Blog is a bright star on a cloudy night." - Comment
"A cross between Kung Fu Panda and Wolverine." - Anonymous
Fr. Z is officially a hybrid of Gandalf and Obi-Wan XD - Comment
Rev. John Zuhlsdorf, a scrappy blogger popular with the Catholic right. - America Magazine
RC integralist who prays like an evangelical fundamentalist. -Austen Ivereigh on Twitter
[T]he even more mainline Catholic Fr. Z. blog. -Deus Ex Machina
“For me the saddest thing about Father Z’s blog is how cruel it is.... It’s astonishing to me that a priest could traffic in such cruelty and hatred.” - Jesuit homosexualist James Martin to BuzzFeed
Fr. Z's is one of the more cheerful blogs out there and he is careful about keeping the crazies out of his commboxes - Paul in comment at 1 Peter 5
I am a Roman Catholic, in no small part, because of your blog.
I am a TLM-going Catholic, in no small part, because of your blog.
And I am in a state of grace today, in no small part, because of your blog.
- Tom in comment
Our Lady of the Clergy, Pray for us!