Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Semper Gumby: Fr. Rutler wrote: “Whi le other generation s have known philosophi cal and physical conflicts, ours is conspicuou s for an evaporatio n of moral certitudes by which good and bad...
- TRW: The 2005 document of the Holy See ” Concerning the Criteria for the Discernmen t of Vocations with regard to Persons with Homosexual Tendencies in view of their Admission to the Semin...
- Anita Moore, O.P.(lay): People continue to belittle the laicizatio n of McCarrick. I don’t understand this. That he has been deposed from the clerical state is not an insignific ant thing. It was...
- Augustine Thompson O.P.: “I don’t think the the later liturgical career of an editor (McManus) is any reason to reject this book. [Who did that?!?] ” Although not explicit, that this...
- Greg Hlatky: *polite cough* Isn’ t claiming a huge proportion of priests are homosexual a way of saying there̵ 7;s nothing that can be done about it and we may as well accept it otherw...
- robtbrown: Re the possibilit y of the repentance by McC: It must be kept in mind that he seems to have integrated homosexual behavior into his priesthood and episcopal life, with pajama parties for...
- Fallibilissimo: Wooooowey! Now that’s what I call a rant, people! My screen is smokin’!!! Fr didn’t so much argue it, he just told everyone how it is, like a new sheriff layin’ down the law in one...
- robtbrown: Justalurki ngfool says: IF, as Fr. Kelly suggests Dementia has already affected Cardinal McCarrick, then this is OUTRAGEOUS LY VINDICTIVE because, regardless of the depravity of his long...
- JesusFreak84: Nonsense like that NYT article makes my heart hurt for celibate [“ch aste” ; “con tinentR 21; not “cel ibate̶ 1;] SSA priests =-\ Their crosses must be...
- bigtex: I am a few days late to this topic, so nobody will probably read this which is a shame. But, you cannot understand Church history and what is happening to us and why, until you underst...
- Semper Gumby: God bless Abp. Vigano. Bellarmino Vianney: Good point about the gravity of the Gospel. Some clergy and laity insist on building their foundation on sand, however: There is a Heaven,...
- Jerome Charles: I agree. No need for a priest to address this– ;homosexua l or not. The response from “You r Real Catholic Friends 221; was appropriat e. Abstinence of some kind is...
- Peter Stuart: Thank you, Father. It gets wearisome for SSA Catholics like me who are struggling to be chaste and keep getting trolled by the men who want us to call them shepherds. My patience with...
- tho: Father, your the greatest. I come to you for clarity and you never disappoint me.
- Ms. M-S: I really do wish I could be as certain as the earliest Christians that the Lord would make His appearance in the near future, but indication s are that there̵ 7;s an either tempor...
- Jennifer Roback Morse: Dear Fr Z and friends, I recently wrote about the inflated numbers of “gay ” priests. We at the Ruth Institute, use, you know, actual data. The last systema...
- Gaetano: Fr. Martin’s claim that the majority of gay men in the priesthood are afraid to discuss their sexuality is simply untrue. When I was in Jesuit formation, men proclaimin g their homosex...
- OrdinaryCatholic: I don’ t believe much will be done in the upcoming summit that will be substantia l. The laicizatio n of McCarrick is window dressing, a little something to appease the...
- Ellen: Standing ovation, Father Z. Bravo!
- Suburbanbanshee: The various Eastern rites and separated churches do not all use the same terms for stuff. So why do we think that the Latin/Roma n Rite will somehow move toward unity, if we pick...
- EC: Yes, it is Cafasso you have in mind… ; He gives a good treatment of the issue of “opp ortunistic ” clergy. Actually, he gives a good treatment of pretty much everything . Well...
- iamlucky13: My local paper reprinted the NYT article, so it appears to be making the rounds rapidly. My stomach knotted up when I read claims such as that 75% of priests are homosexual , knowing...
- Suburbanbanshee: Jewish priests were not celibate, but they had to refrain from sex (or as it’s sometimes put, “rem ain continent& #8221;) during their yearly periods of Temple servi...
- ex seaxe: Thank you Father. Clarity, honesty and compassion – more power to your megaphone!
- LeeGilbert: “Sup port of homosexual persons is obligatory for true Catholics. ” “Hom osexual personR 21; is a phrase I devoutly wish you would delete from your stylebo...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- The Rome “summit”, “gay” priests, and #sodoclericalism – Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- Fr. Rutler’s Weekly Column
- BOOK RECEIVED: 1962 Parish Ritual – HUZZAH!
- Archbp. Viganò offers thoughts on The Present Crisis before the Rome “Summit”
- Suffering and attacks on the Church’s “Eldest Daughter”
- Mister McCarrick
- Fr. Z’s Kitchen: Shiny little fish!
- Interesting observation by @CCPecknold about laicization of McCarrick
- WDTPRS – Septuagesima Sunday: PRE-LENT BEGINS!
- Of Flaring Suns and Starry Nights
- A quick book plug: A Catholic Introduction to the Bible: The Old Testament
- Opportunity: R.I.P.
- POLL: Prayers after Mass
- “Know also this, that, in the last days, shall come dangerous times.”
- Do you know priests who are struggling, under attack? Terrific movement: Seven Sisters Apostolate
- Movement in the causes of Bl. John Henry Newman and Card. József Mindszenty
- ASK FATHER: During sick call, tea and biscuits before administering Communion
- Another look at Catholic/Islamic statement: “diversity of religions … are willed by God in His wisdom”
- Your Good News
- “Rumors that a certain prelate threatens his orthodox priests with institutionalization or laicization are not rumors… they are truth”
- BREAKING: Rubrics and color-blindness
- Card. Kasper attacks Card. Müller who publicly proclaimed Catholic doctrine
- Thoughts about ‘ad orientem’ worship and priests being bullied
- How many baptist pastors are married?
- 10 February – St. José Sánchez del Río, Martyr
- Fr. Z’s Kitchen: Coda alla Vaccinara with digressions into Roman stuff, like a new old confraternity
- TRANS-NEPTUNIAN COMET APPROACHES EARTH
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- PODCAzT 170: Card. Müller – Manifesto of Faith: “Let not your heart be troubled!”
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
New miscellaneous releases and events
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Tag Archives: Sunday obligation
From a reader… QUAERITUR: I need to take various training courses (ie: first aid, CPR and AED training, as well as Suicide Intervention training, etc) to meet the qualifications for more gainful employment. It used to be they would hire you and pay … Continue reading
Was there a good point made in the sermon you heard during your Mass to fulfill your Sunday Obligation? Let us know. You were paying attention, weren’t you? UPDATE: At The Catholic Thing, Dr. Howard Kainz laments that, since Vatican … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: I work in an office for 8 hours each weekday. Any physical activity I can get is a welcome relief. Am I able to work out on Sundays without violating the third commandment? Let’s turn first … Continue reading
From a priest… QUAERITUR: I was not at peace with the Sunday-obligation-Saturday-evening question and answer. HERE Imagine a penitent: Bless me Father, for I have sinned. Three weeks ago I was leaving on a anonruise, which was for fun, but … Continue reading
From a reader… May I attend a Mass by an SSPX priest during the Year of Mercy to fulfill my Sunday obligation? What is the current status of their Mass and is it affected by the Year of Mercy declaration … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: I read your recent answer to a man whose work schedule keeps him from attending Mass. I’d like to go down that road a little further. I’m a commercial pilot. My schedule (which is written in stone) keeps … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: if I go to nursing [home] to visit someone and I go for mass and watch it on a tv and fr is in the chapel does that count for filling my sunday obligation We are … Continue reading
From a reader: Howdy Fr. Z [Fine, thanks!] I had a question about fulfilling my Sunday Obligation at an SSPX chapel. First let me say, I am 100% with the bishops and the pope. I prefer the Latin Mass. I am about … Continue reading
QUAERITUR: Can’t attend Sunday Mass. Wherein Fr. Z gives a long, convoluted answer with lots of history and some Latin.
From a reader: I am currently in attendance at a law enforcement academy in order to become certified as a State Trooper. It runs until January of next year, is a live-in facility, and is structured in a very paramilitary … Continue reading
From a reader: we will be on a Greek island without a Catholic church on a Sunday: can we attend the Greek mass and/or receive the Sacrament? You can, and I think should, attend the Greek Divine Liturgy if attending a … Continue reading
QUAERITUR: Do I fulfill my 8 December Holy Day Mass obligation on Saturday and my Sunday obligation by going to Mass on Saturday evening?
Go HERE for an important follow-up post. I am getting a lot of questions about fulfilling the Mass obligation on the upcoming Saturday afternoon, the Solemnity of the Immaculate Conception. For example, Would it fulfill my obligation for the … Continue reading
From a reader: I was chatting with someone and she told me the priest in the parish where she is a member gave her permission, due to her ill health and thus difficulty in attending Mass on Sunday, to “attend Mass … Continue reading
From a reader: Is it permissible to have a Extraordinary Form Vigil Mass on a Saturday evening? Yes, I believe it is. I believe so… again… I believe so. Permission to say Holy Mass in the evening was granted before … Continue reading
From a reader: Can a Roman Catholic fulfill her Sunday Obligation at a Traditional Anglican Communion church that is part of one of the Pro-Dioceses awaiting the construction of the Ordinariate for the United States? In the Code of Canon … Continue reading
From a reader: I’ll be pithy: I’ll start my final semester of nursing school next week, it appears as though I will be required to train in the hospital for the next four months from 7am-7pm every Sunday. Is it … Continue reading