Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Elizabeth D: I don’ t have a problem with women seminary professors , as long as they are orthodox and sound and not radical feminists, and there are only a few (it would be seriously probl...
- JMody: Yes indeed, think about that for a moment. Think about how they squash any vestige of the faith as practiced by our own parents — I went to parochial school from grade 6, my brother...
- Dismas: @Kathleen 10 – Some good points, but you lost me on a few points. – Not going to Mass will do you far more harm than a given bishop will feel. As much as I believe a well...
- hilltop: Grabski, Byzantines teve, Gab, OK_Doc and George (all above) offer comments suggesting that the press should lay off the Catholics because 1) the press is biased against Catholics and/or...
- hilltop: You ninny nitpickers , you espy a mathematic al error in Ultrarunne r’s statements (based on your own math) and miss THE point. Ultarunner ain’t wrong. The press may very well be biased...
- un-ionized: capchoirgi rl, I don’ t know the situation there but it’s almost certain to have been vetted by the bishop.
- Joy65: Praying for your son Katherine as well as for ALL Priests, Religious Brothers and sisters, Deacons, Seminarian s, our Pope, Bishops, Cardinals and all discerning vocations to the Priesth...
- AA Cunningham: Gayness(si c) will continue to be overrepres ented relative to the general population due to imposed celibacy, frjim4321 says: 21 August 2018 at 7:29 AM “imp osed celibac...
- capchoirgirl: Un-ionized , THANK YOU! Fr. Stash is such a blessing!!
- george: Ultrarunne r: All private schools account for less than 10% of students: https://ww w.huffingt onpost.com /jack-jenn ings/propo rtion-of-u s-students _b_2950948 .html But remember, the...
- capchoirgirl: Katherine: Praying for your son!
- Sonshine135: So it beginsR 30;.
- bartlep: I like your suggestion s, Fr. Z, but my bishop might be busy with other things, like the interfaith sessions with the Muslim Brotherhoo d… https://ww w.breitbar t.com/big- governm...
- Elizabeth D: This is what happened to Jesus because of all our sins. “Ble ssed are you when… ;”
- Susanna: Precious! And goegeous vestment too. I shared this with my pastorR 30; he was really touched by it and told me the timing was perfect as there is a meeting at our parish this week which...
- Katherine: The idea that seminarian s need female teachers is simply ridiculous ! They have mothers, and sisters, and aunts, grandmothe rs, neighbors, and teachers 8230; It defies reality that...
- Fr Martin Fox: I certainly have no issue with good manly examples in seminary life. That said, I would encourage readers — who I assume are not very familiar with seminary life, and I̵...
- MaryofSharon: My parents told me about the homily of their young priest who has only been ordained one year. He spoke of the impact of the earlier scandals on him as he first began to discern his...
- MaryofSharon: Exceptiona l homily by a young priest just two years after his ordination . He spoke of his sorrow and anger and how he felt led, in prayer before the Blessed Sacrament last week, to...
- Kathleen10: frjim, agreed, any bishops who covered or enabled homosexual predators to continue need to be outed and removed. Totally agree. But furthermor e, if the church and the bishops will not...
- seeker: Sometimes I laugh out loud at the wit here. Jokes about chaps with no underpants and penetratio n ?It’ s OK if someone on a hard identity Catholic blog questions the taste of that....
- bibi1003: Dear God in heaven, protect our priests. Comfort and heal Fr. Hutsko and give him the strength to carry on. Surround him with love and encouragem ent. Please help his attacker truly...
- Semper Gumby: Kathleen10 : Thanks! Michael Haz: Thanks, and I phoned Mr. Beef to see if they’ ;d pay for your new keyboard. Unfortunat ely, Mr. Beef said he had a beef with that. Fr. Z: The...
- David L Alexander: “The first thing you must attend to at Mr. Beef, just as when you are attempting to write a comment on this blog or send me an email, are The Rules. They are detailed and...
- KT127: That’s a great idea! It will also likely encourage more attendance and participat ion from lay Catholic men. Win-win!
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- An improvement to the “Ratio” governing formation of priests in seminaries
- Priest attacked: “This is for all the kids!”
- Collusion of the press against the Church
- Food for my cerebellum. Food for my reptilian brain stem. And my observation about coverage of The Present Crisis.
- ASK FATHER: How to support priests? Prepare for underground Church?
- Ex ore infantium perfecisti laudem! 3 year old “priest’s” theological observation and a Salve
- Letters of Bishops compared. Quite a contrast.
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- ACTION ITEM! Help the nuns complete their beautiful monastic church!
- URGENT: HIDEOUS about SYMBOL on pastel vestments for World Meeting of Families in Dublin @WMOF2018
- Letter of @BishopMorlino of @MadisonDiocese concerning the present crisis
- WDTPRS – 20th Ordinary Sunday: invisible love, pulsing with longing
- Terrific movement of prayer for priests: Seven Sisters Apostolate
- Archbp. Cordileone’s Letter to the people of @ArchdioceseSF Fr. Z kudos and a mini-rant.
- Wherein Fr. Z offers one of the hardest posts he has ever written – UPDATED WITH YOUR COMMENTS
- PROPOSAL to all the Bishops of these USA for your November 2018 Meeting
- Card. Burke interviewed by Raymond Arroyo. The Cardinal’s advice.
- Insightful observation about Pope Francis – UPDATES!
- ASK FATHER: Lethal force against homosexual aggression in seminary?
- Search within the text for the word “reparation”. Zero.
- ASK FATHER: Can I go to a wedding at an SSPX chapel?
- Yeahhh… this is exactly the right time to dress our clergy in pastels.
- The Rite of Degradation From The Order of Priesthood. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- Fr Z calls for solidarity
- The PA Grand Jury Report
- AN OPEN APPEAL TO THE CARDINALS OF THE CATHOLIC CHURCH
- ASK FATHER: Your questions weigh heavily
- YOUR URGENT PRAYER REQUESTS
- ASK FATHER: “I now have doubt about sorting the doctrinal from the papal opinion.” Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- ASK FATHER: Faithful, active women religious. Where to go?
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Tag Archives: Synod
The Chant Cafe has a fascinating note from the “preparatory” young people pre-Synod confab.
Is the Vatican listening to young people?
by Kathleen Pluth
A member of the preparatory commission reflects:
On the journey, I checked in with the online community in the Pre-Synod … Continue reading
On the same day that in Washington DC there is a “march” staged by talking-point saturated young people about – call it what it is – undermining the 2nd Amendment rather than upholding it, a document was released from the … Continue reading
When I worked in the PCED, frustrated with the resistance to any new tech, I developed the phrase, “Here in the Vatican we update our equipment every 50 years, whether it needs it or not.”
I note with apprehensive amusement a … Continue reading
This is sad. This fellow really needs prayers.
Today at the UK’s best Catholic weekly, the Catholic Herald, we find a piece about
Study: young Catholics divided between traditionalists and modernists
Some want to ‘draw the Church back’ while others want it to … Continue reading
My friend Fr Gerry Murray has an analysis piece at The Catholic Thing which could be useful in your discussions about Amoris laetitia.
There are elements of Chapter 8 which are objectively unclear. Many want clarifications, as is reasonable. Some defend … Continue reading
I share hereunder a note I received from one of you readers after my own post-synodal exhortation not to give up any ground in the Synod’s wake. We must persevere! In the face of what seem like decreasingly … Continue reading
I’ve added more feedback.
ORIGINALLY PUBLISHED Published on: Oct 25, 2015 @ 18:10
As I mentioned in an earlier post, since I have been on pilgrimage, I’ve tried to be in as much of a Synod Free Zone as possible.
However, I am gifted … Continue reading
My friend Fr Murray has good comments in his EWTN analysis of the Synod’s work:
Fr. Murray touches on Pope Francis’ words about decentralization of the Curia. Robert Royal admits that he doesn’t know what Francis meant by decentralization and … Continue reading
Based on my vacuuming up bits of information via conversations and emails.
Today the members of the Synod are going over the draft of the Final Report. God help us all.
I am not optimistic, given the breakdown of the orientations … Continue reading
I heard a rumor… and you know how those are… that some members of the Synod are concerned that the central office of the Synod of Bishop might be spying on the dealings of the different language groups (circuli minores) … Continue reading
1726 GMT: I just saw Card. Napier live on EWTN who had come directly from the Synod Hall.
He made a bit of a correction to his own correction/addition of Fr Rosica. Be sure to pay attention to this.
ORIGINAL Published on: Oct … Continue reading
Gerald O’Connell (probably accurate even though at Amerika) says the Pope responded to an intervention from the floor by Card. Pell which criticized the membership of the Special Commission which will write the Final Report of the Synod. HERE (Pope to Synod Fathers: Don’t Give in … Continue reading
You must read this from Edward Pentin (HERE). He gives a somewhat more useful roundup of things discussed in the Synod than the presser provided.
Also, Pentin shows how some can… skew the report of what was discussed.
Sample with my emphases:
Questions … Continue reading
A couple interesting points:
Yesterday, at the opening of the Synod, the General Relator (“president”) of the gathering, Hungarian Peter Card. Erdö of Esztergom-Budapest gave a speech (English HERE) to put the participants on their course for the gathering. He effectively … Continue reading