Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Marc in Eugene: Amen!
- bobbird: I am waiting for a bishop who will grab a whip made of cords and start to work, overturnin g tables and scolding the “Bro od of vipers, whitened sepulchers , all clean without but...
- Kate: While Thomas Aquinas College does have a reputation for producing vocations, I still do not think it can be a considered a “hig h rate” ;. Maybe high compared to most other Catho...
- Dan: I am sure there are many Bishops that “get it” sadly as a whole they don’ t seem much willing to do anything about it. From a lay perspectiv e this meeting of Bishops was...
- semperficatholic: AMEN!!!!!! !!!!!!!
- TonyO: All I can say is, thank you, Corky, for pointing out Lepanto Institute for me. I didn’ ;t know about them, but now I know they are the enemies of Satan and his cohort of limp-wrist ed...
- PostCatholic: A definition that was popularize d by Sam Harris and Christophe r Hitchens. Here in its original form, emphasis added: A few weeks ago, Ayaan and I had a long conversati on about her...
- WVC: Semper Gumby: If you say so, shipmate. Only one of us here appears to be happy that hundreds of thousands of Americans died and suffered. And it ain’ t me.
- Gripen: For a second I was incredibly excited (and proud) that both +Lopes and +Stricklan d were in the video. Then I realized that +Lopes and +Cozzens look eerily similar.
- Anneliese: 1. If you don’ t want to be celibate, why become a priest? You can’ t assume the requiremen t of celibacy is going to change just because you want it to. 2. If you’ re...
- Semper Gumby: WVC: You are proving my point.
- Legisperitus: Gag.
- Legisperitus: Unwilling et al.: I think your analysis is probably correct, and it makes Beans̵ 7; cheap shot such inside-ins ide baseball that it’s no wonder only 21 people liked it.
- Legisperitus: So few bishops seem to “get it” the way Strickland gets it. His manner of thinking and speaking is so earnest and unaffected , not “cle ricalist 8221; in the...
- hwriggles4: I have met some Catholic men who are alumni of some high school seminaries from the 1960s. A few told me around that time (particula rly if you were a student from 1965 to 1970) these...
- Unwilling: The Catholic Herald article on Catholic “tri bes” is meant as a mirror for each to see in it reflection s of ourselves in humorous dress. Jane Austen: “for what do we...
- Suburbanbanshee: And actually, the comparison of “bud ding” ; to “rad iance emerging from a place̶ 1; comes from Syriac stuff, which basically means from Aramaic. So it is...
- Suburbanbanshee: Given that one of the messianic OT titles of Jesus is “the Orient, 221; I think this tweet constitute s objective blasphemy. (Check out Zech. 3:8 and 9:12.) For various...
- Fr_Sotelo: My own bishop was been vilified in the traditiona l blogospher e as being a man who is weak on doctrine and vindictive with orthodox priests. However, while he has been in the dioce...
- amenamen: In Greek mythology Halcyon (Alcyone) threw herself into the sea, in grief over her husband, Ceyx, who had been killed by Zeus (for good reason). In an act of pity, the gods transforme d...
- Imrahil: It seems I don’ t even understand the sense of the quote, including why it is offensive. What is Orientalis m? What is Catholic Ad Orientalis m? And of course, if you take the words...
- TonyO: Here’ ;s my experience : I lived in fairly conservati ve parish in the very conservati ve diocese, Arlington, VA. About a year ago Fr. Pastor re-introdu ced mass ad orientem for all...
- Gab: God bless the Most Rev, Strickland . What simple yet almighty powerful words of truth. Now HE’S a great priest and a great man.
- tzabiega: Cincinnati priest: Father, I have the greatest respect for priests, but the complaints I hear most about lazy priests is from… ;priests who have to do the work the lazy priests are...
- maternalView: Yes. We need to remember there are good men. Maybe it’s only a few. But the Lord doesn̵ 7;t need much! Bless them! I don’ t believe these men will give up.
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- 21 Nov: Presentation of the Blessed Virgin Mary. With a prayer of my own.
- VIDEO: A few good men and The Present Crisis
- Beans v. the East – @MassimoFaggioli cheapshots Orientals
- The effect of the Extraordinary Form on vocations to the priesthood
- Dinosaur Media attack on Catholics who uphold Faith and Morals
- Truly pathetic musings at the Fishwrap about priesthood and those halcyon days of Vatican II
- 19 Nov 1863: The Gettysburg Address
- Christmas, Priests, Arms, and You
- Reliable Catholic and Pro-Life Causes
- “”Transphobia is a word created by fascists, and used by cowards, to manipulate morons”.
- ASK FATHER: My priest doesn’t carry the “emergency phone”
- Sweetheart Grips and Fortune’s Wheel
- ASK FATHER: Absolution from a heretical priest and then going to Communion
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- To Prelates: “Don’t Pee on My Leg and Tell Me It’s Raining.”
- Pre-Post Thanksgiving, Pre-Post Christmas Shopping
- ASK FATHER: Could the Church make “communal services” the norm for the Sacrament of Penance?
- UPDATED BRICK BY BRICK in Florida! New Sunday TLM established.
- Latin-less Priests and Homeschoolers – UPDATED
- More Jesuit antics in that ‘caput malorum omnium’ the Church in Germany
- ASK FATHER: Could Latin be suppressed? Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- Wherein Fr. Z rants
- A solid “state of the question” VIDEO about The Present Crisis
- In how many ways is this creepy?
- HEADS WILL ROLL! A new “You won’t believe your eyes ugly” altar
- Why homosexualists hate Papa Ratzinger so much.
- My View For Awhile: Delayed Edition & Fr. Z’s Kitchen
- Solipsistic, self-aggrandizing @FatherRosica dares to vet Catholic news sources
- ASK FATHER: “I am doubting that the current Catholic Church is the Church it has always claimed to be”
- Strange Signs, the End Times and YOU
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Tag Archives: Synod
At the UK’s (and soon to be also USA’s) best Catholic weekly, the Catholic Herald, you must… I repeat MUST… read George Weigel’s biting postscript on the 2018 Synod (“walking together”). HERE Weigel’s is the first of several postscript “letters” posted … Continue reading
Today the pithily perspicacious Fr H looks at the Synod’s (“walking together”) notion about developing ways to certify Catholic blogs to avoid “fake news”.
He wrote along the lines of what I wrote HERE. He also wrote:
We seem to have … Continue reading
At my old stomping ground, The Wanderer, there is a good summary and analysis piece by Peggy Moen (a terrific editor!) who attended much of the Synod (“walking together”).
Clichés Of The Francis Era Dominate A Press Briefing
ROME — Following the Thursday, … Continue reading
I’ve been, as much as possible ignoring the Synod’s (“walking together”) document. First, I’ve wanted a pleasant day. Was the Synod really about producing a document? Or was it about creating smokescreens and providing cover for the placement of … Continue reading
I am in Rome while the 2018 Synod (“walking together”) is slouching towards its predicted, rigged conclusion. I think we all knew that there would be shenanigans before the end. They’ve come now not single spies, but in battalions.
Tweets from … Continue reading
The reports of the various language circles of the Synod (“walking together”) are out. HERE
Just try reading for a while.
The Tablet (aka The Bitter Pill aka RU-486) interviewed Archbishop Charles Chaput of Philadelphia. At present, the Archbishop is involved in the Synod (“walking together”) on Youth in Rome.
He has some pointed comments about what faith both is and isn’t. They … Continue reading
At my old stomping ground, The Wanderer, their weekly contributor and a ubiquitous tweeter Fr. Kevin Cusick, nailed the Synod (“walking together”) situation in a couple of sentences.
Another rigged Synod is now underway with predictable results. All we need to know … Continue reading
At the UK’s best Catholic weekly, the Catholic Herald – soon to have a US version! – comes this alarming report about the workings of the Synod (“walking together”).
Analysis: Will bishops push for clarity on the synod’s procedural rules?
Two weeks … Continue reading
Is watered-down faith of #Synod2018 “worth dying for when the man with the machete shows up at your door?”
Once upon a time I remarked to The Great Roman, raising his children in this increasingly dreadful time, that lay people like him each day face problems that would make most clerics curl up in a ball in the corner … Continue reading
“For God so loved the world that He did not send a committee.”
“If I ought to write the truth, I am of the mind that I ought to flee all meetings of bishops, because I have never seen any happy … Continue reading
UPDATE: 5 Oct
That stick as a witches stang thing isn’t going away.
In my email come photos of the moment that young people gave that stick to Francis.
Not the red, knotted string. No, big deal? Maybe not.
The red string on the … Continue reading
Cardinal Sarah declines election to key committee at Vatican Youth Synod [“walking together”]
VATICAN CITY, October 4, 2018 (LifeSiteNews) — Cardinal Robert Sarah was elected last evening as a member of the Information Commission responsible for disseminating news on the Vatican … Continue reading
Recently, in the pages of First Things, Archbp. Chaput of Philadelphia published a theologian’s views of the Instrumentum Laboris for the upcoming Synod of Bishops about “young people”.
A couple points leap out.
First, I note in a piece at LifeSite that, after … Continue reading