Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- JMGcork: Missa Cantata. Father used the Wedding Feast at Cana to highlight Mary as a merciful mother intercedin g for us. As it happens, Father was a missionary in Japan with the Columban Fathers...
- Cicero_NOLA: The Catholic priest on the Navy base south of Tokyo is a holy young man after your heart, Father. You would like him and I bet he could get you onto a ship if you have the time and...
- gaudiumcumpace: “He asks of us obedience and love for Him and for our fellow men. For the rest, we are to depend solely on him as do the birds of the air and the flowers of the field.“ This is the...
- Prayerful: Parish priest used water into wine as a metaphor for the transforma tion that God brings to sinful, weak man.
- Julia_Augusta: The parish church of St. Viator in Kyoto has a priest from French-spe aking Africa (the order is originally from Quebec). He speaks Japanese fluently with a near perfect accent. I go...
- robtbrown: I know of no case in which FSSP priests are forced to say the Novus Ordo once a year. Perhaps the reference is to the Chrism Mass. In the early years of the FSSP, not having parishes of...
- Suburbanbanshee: Good homily about Cana. First time I have ever heard a priest point out that “Wha t is that between me and you?” ; was a Hebrew expression of approval, and was basica...
- Pius Admirabilis: @Ann Malley: I think you are being a bit too emotional about this. I did not intend a broad generaliza tion, as I stated. I merely suggested that soem SSPX priests and dignita...
- semperficatholic: I am in north Texas above Dallas and saw the eclipse from my back door window. I am in the country so there were no city lights. The moon was huge and beautiful.
- Gabriel Syme: @ Fr Jackson, what doctrine exactly they think the Fraternity of St Peter can’t have. As I understand it Father, the SSPX criticism of the canonicall y regular traditiona l orders is...
- HvonBlumenthal: Yes, I believe at least once a year. Its to ensure recognitio n by the priest that both masses are equally valid forms of the same rite and he this accepts the hermeneuti c of...
- Imrahil: FSSP priests are obliged to say the new Mass occasional ly Just briefly: Are they?
- HvonBlumenthal: Roma247 and others: You are probably aware that SSPX has within its ranks more than one school of thought. It was the Vatican that declared the fraternity ‘s situation to be irreg...
- Gab: Very good sermon from Father (aged 27, but with knowledge far exceeding his age) at the TLM. Basic outtake of the message – Some people question why the emphasis on going through Our...
- OssaSola: Thank you, we just ran outside in our PJ’s and saw the eclipse in the clear Texas sky; we would have missed it otherwise. Godspeed your Mission in Tokyo!
- rtrainque: With myself as the lone server and one of our regular schola members performing his duties solo as well, we managed to still have a Missa Cantata (sans incense) here in Burling...
- Rob83: The sermon was abbreviate d due to the weather, understand able given conditions . So it was a brief lesson on canon law about such things with a request to pray and attend the pro-l...
- roma247: @Ann Malley Achilles was a very great warrior 211;unstop pable, in fact, but for his heel. We are all human and we all have weaknesses . My only point was to show that the devil makes...
- JMody: As for sermon notes, Msgr Al made similar points about the host’ ;s dilemma, and how the Blessed Mother gave the instructio n that is always appropriat e –> ; Do whatever He...
- JesusFreak84: Unfortunat ely, there̵ 7;s not a ton of overlap of devout, traditiona l Catholic men and people who learn Japanese =-\ (Japanese is HARD, even though there̵ 7;s far more...
- FromVicBC: My understand ing is the largest groups of practicing Catholics live in South America and Africa. Is there a reason the church isn’ t encouragin g young men from South America and...
- Hidden One: There used to be a priest of the Society who commented here on occasion. Perhaps he might have something to say, at least to the comments above.
- Hidden One: Magdalena, I believe that you are incorrect. With the suppressio n of Ecclesia Dei, its staff and budget become fully integrated with the CDF. In other words, the same people will field...
- Sword40: I was in Tokyo in August 1964. I was in the Marines and got a 96 hour pass to visit there from Iwakuni (southern Honshu) . Had a great time at the Olympic that summer. And, yes, Kamak...
- Ann Malley: @Pius Admirabili s With all due respect, to say that, “The SSPX has no reason to stay in their canonical status, 221; without being in the know about details is presumptio n....
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- Super-Wolf-Blood Moon!
- WDTPRS: 2nd Sunday after Epiphany – liturgical unicorn
- Francis suppressed the Pontifical Commission “Ecclesia Dei”. Fr. Z remarks.
- ASK FATHER: Do I have to sing at Mass?
- Scandalous parish in @ArchdioceseSPM – public celebration of homosexuality, IVR and surrogacy
- My View For Awhile: Westward
- ASK FATHER: Finding good sponsors for confirmation
- ASK FATHER: Where can I get good Brown Scapulars?
- ASK FATHER: Friday penance on flight across International Date Line
- Public penance and public reparation
- Card. Mahony to speak at the Three Days of Darkness
- UPDATE: “the finest rosaries I’ve ever seen” with a new site
- SOS! New Chant Collection: Prière pour temps de détresse … Prayer in time of distress, suffering, urgency… SOS Chant
- ASK FATHER: St. Gertrude’s Prayer and releasing 1000 souls from Purgatory
- YOUR URGENT PRAYER REQUESTS
- When tweets become problematic
- 4th Letter from Archbishop Viganò
- 14 January – Happy Feast of the Ass!
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- ASK FATHER: Standing on altar to change sanctuary lamp.
- ASK FATHER: Feasts of new saints in the Traditional Latin Mass
- Good points in Lawler’s recent book: The Smoke of Satan…
- Two cordial warnings to readers
- ASK FATHER: Excessive pious gestures during Mass
- WDTPRS – Holy Family (1962MR): Families not of blood
- ASK FATHER: Can we use the Breviarium Romanum published by the SSPX?
- FOLLOW UP on Gluten and Celiac post
- ZMIRAK: Hawaii Sen. @maziehirono Is Right. We Must Intern the Knights of Columbus in Camps
- ASK FATHER: Gluten-free madness the work of the Father of Lies?
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Tag Archives: Synod
At the UK’s (and soon to be also USA’s) best Catholic weekly, the Catholic Herald, you must… I repeat MUST… read George Weigel’s biting postscript on the 2018 Synod (“walking together”). HERE Weigel’s is the first of several postscript “letters” posted … Continue reading
Today the pithily perspicacious Fr H looks at the Synod’s (“walking together”) notion about developing ways to certify Catholic blogs to avoid “fake news”. He wrote along the lines of what I wrote HERE. He also wrote: We seem … Continue reading
At my old stomping ground, The Wanderer, there is a good summary and analysis piece by Peggy Moen (a terrific editor!) who attended much of the Synod (“walking together”). Clichés Of The Francis Era Dominate A Press Briefing ROME — Following … Continue reading
I’ve been, as much as possible ignoring the Synod’s (“walking together”) document. First, I’ve wanted a pleasant day. Was the Synod really about producing a document? Or was it about creating smokescreens and providing cover for the placement of … Continue reading
I am in Rome while the 2018 Synod (“walking together”) is slouching towards its predicted, rigged conclusion. I think we all knew that there would be shenanigans before the end. They’ve come now not single spies, but in battalions. Tweets … Continue reading
The reports of the various language circles of the Synod (“walking together”) are out. HERE Just try reading for a while.
The Tablet (aka The Bitter Pill aka RU-486) interviewed Archbishop Charles Chaput of Philadelphia. At present, the Archbishop is involved in the Synod (“walking together”) on Youth in Rome. He has some pointed comments about what faith both is and isn’t. … Continue reading
At my old stomping ground, The Wanderer, their weekly contributor and a ubiquitous tweeter Fr. Kevin Cusick, nailed the Synod (“walking together”) situation in a couple of sentences. Another rigged Synod is now underway with predictable results. All we need to … Continue reading
At the UK’s best Catholic weekly, the Catholic Herald – soon to have a US version! – comes this alarming report about the workings of the Synod (“walking together”). My emphases: Analysis: Will bishops push for clarity on the synod’s procedural … Continue reading
Is watered-down faith of #Synod2018 “worth dying for when the man with the machete shows up at your door?”
Once upon a time I remarked to The Great Roman, raising his children in this increasingly dreadful time, that lay people like him each day face problems that would make most clerics curl up in a ball in the corner … Continue reading
“For God so loved the world that He did not send a committee.” “If I ought to write the truth, I am of the mind that I ought to flee all meetings of bishops, because I have never seen any … Continue reading
UPDATE: 5 Oct That stick as a witches stang thing isn’t going away. In my email come photos of the moment that young people gave that stick to Francis. Not the red, knotted string. No, big deal? Maybe not. The … Continue reading
LifeSite: Cardinal Sarah declines election to key committee at Vatican Youth Synod [“walking together”] VATICAN CITY, October 4, 2018 (LifeSiteNews) — Cardinal Robert Sarah was elected last evening as a member of the Information Commission responsible for disseminating news on … Continue reading
Recently, in the pages of First Things, Archbp. Chaput of Philadelphia published a theologian’s views of the Instrumentum Laboris for the upcoming Synod of Bishops about “young people”. A couple points leap out. First, I note in a piece at LifeSite … Continue reading