Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- maternalView: A few courageous priests and Bishops, but no more than we see now addressing today̵ 7;s troubles, will endure the coming trial with the faithful. Most clergy and laity simply...
- Elizabeth D: Last August when students were moving out of their apartments I found a big container of commercial ly made, individual ly wrapped Madeleine cookies. They were a little lemony, they...
- Uxixu: After the reading of Malachi Martin, St. John Paul II should have issued that exact same proclamati on after he recovered from the assassin attempt.
- Charles E Flynn: The attack of 1955 is no more privileged than the later attacks in the 1960s. The unique position of St Mary Magdalene in the life of Christ deserves a unique position in the most...
- Charles E Flynn: Cooking outside of the comfort zone is one of the arts practiced by men who make the effort to avoid being “bea rs with furniture& #8221;. If I recall correctly, you have not...
- The Cobbler: Many of the great figures of the Old Testament are considered saints and have a day in the Roman liturgical book called the Roman Martyrolog y. Father, I once heard, somewhere along...
- Vincent1967: Dear Father, Thank you for this lovely post! I’ve been a little maudlin (and the etymology of that is so apt re St Mary Magdalene! ) recently. The remembranc e of things past...
- benedetta: Looks good Father!
- Hb: Well, many of us follow the pre 62 rubrics as well as use pre 55 Holy Week so I don’ t see the problem since it already exists in earlier rubrics. It would seem to me using a long estab...
- Gabriel Syme: What a disappoint ment the modern Jesuit Order is. I suppose, if you take (what was) a loyal and dynamic order, and set them to a bad task (implement ation of Vatican 2) then this...
- Gabriel Syme: Btw, what a fantastic picture that is of the SSPX men standing in front of the Statue of Archbishop Lefebvre. Argh, I think the statue is actually of Pius X! My bad! D’oh !
- Gabriel Syme: @ HvonBlumen thal It is said that Bp Fellay would have signed the last deal which the Vatican offered, but Bp Gallareta opposed and Bp Fellay wanted unanimity between the SSPX bisho...
- TonyO: The creed would be a good addition to the Mass for Mary Magdalene, but not enough of a good to supercede obedience to the rubrics as written. As p.frank suggested, we have to not only push...
- Unwilling: Yeahbut 230; why not the Doctors?
- APX: I voted yes, but I misunderst ood the question. I assumed it meant, if Rome approved. I don’t think we should just add of our own free will.
- truthfinder: The order of suppressio n stated the Jesuits were abolished ‘for ever’ ; and in some translatio ns “for eternity 8221;. Makes you wonderR 30;
- Dismas: In a word, no. I expect a poorer ratio of courageous , faithful bishops than was tallied in England around 1534. Courage, like any other virtue, becomes flaccid and atrophied when not...
- philosophicallyfrank: We should not be surprised by what is a continuall y growing effort to destroy the Church. There have been two Apparition s of the Blessed Mother since WWII when She foret...
- Dismas: What, no “Meh ” or “I 8217;m not touching this with a thirty foot pole” ; options?
- philosophicallyfrank: We tend to be critical of many who add & subtract from what the Ordinary Form was suppose to be; so, we, who appreciate the Extraordin ary Form, need to seek desired...
- Anita Moore, O.P.(lay): In countries that have purported to outlaw the seal of the confession al it will be even worse than we think. Because the only way for the government to know a priest has...
- teomatteo: On an all together different note: that counter top appears to be, Saint Cecilia, comes outta s.america. i think.
- frjimt: From the office today: for the honor of him who lives us, it is proper to obey w/out hypocrisy; for a man does not so much deceive the bishop he can see as try to receive the bishop he...
- Ave Maria: Oh if only they had been suppressed again before we had a Jesuit pope! So many of them and many of their institutio ns are a scandal and a danger to the faith.
- HvonBlumenthal: The suppressio n of an order doesn’t mean that good priests are tossed out with the bathwater, merely that they would be welcomed in a healthier order; I find Anneliese’ s remark...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- Fr. Z’s Kitchen and Remembrance of Things Past
- 22 July: Mary Magdalene and the Creed at Mass – POLL!
- Can you imagine bishops doing something like this today?
- ASK FATHER: Blessing for a Wheelchair, Stretcher, or Ambulance
- FEAST DAY! 21 July 1773 – Clement XIV suppressed the Jesuits!
- R.I.P. Msgr. Camille Perl, once Secretary of the Pontifical Commission “Ecclesia Dei”
- And now for your Friday SSPX news!
- WDTPRS – 16th Ordinary Sunday: The Enemy is hunting YOU
- For your consideration…
- The hurly burly of Medieval Studies!
- FLYING ELECTRIC SPACE SPIDERS!
- ASK FATHER: Mass texts for St. Elijah, Old Testament Prophet
- What could possibly go wrong? – UPDATED
- YOUR GOOD NEWS… and Washington DC’s new Auxiliary Bishop and key priest at Detroit’s major seminary
- Budding young feminist archeologists
- ASK FATHER: Baptism of child of a same-sex couple?
- BOOK RECEIVED: Why Humanae Vitae Is Still Right!
- What the TMSM is doing with your donations
- Who is behind that “Lovely, drippy, syrupy TLM and vocation video” and how are they being treated?
- ACTION ITEM! Pray for Fr. Morris, victim of the homosexualist agenda
- Are we still trustworthy?
- Lovely, drippy, syrupy TLM and vocation video. Then Fr. Z rants about crying.
- The image of the badge of the Vendée came to mind today
- ACTION ITEM! Spiritual Bouquet for Bp. Morlino
- Fr. Z’s Kitchen: Garofolato!
- ASK FATHER: Cremains in funeral Mass, Traditional Requiem
- Pontifical Mass in Lake Charles. A brief and yet optimistic rant from Fr. Z.
- The last 10 minutes…
- 17 July 1794: “Permission to die, Mother?”
- 17 July 2018 – 100 years after
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Tag Archives: Triduum
Some Triduum images!
Holy Thursday, reposing the Blessed Sacrament.
Stripping the altar.
I brought my relic of the Holy Cross.
And now the Vigil.
From the live stream, which goes BW in low light.
Lots and lots of Baptismal water and I did not spare … Continue reading
Each day during Lent of 2018 and the Triduum I provided a 5 minute podcast to urge you on. Today, I provide a supplement to those LENTCAzTs.
Because of the controversies roused up by alleged comments of the Holy Father made … Continue reading
Today is Holy Saturday. The Roman Station is … ooops! Tricked you. There isn’t any until the Vigil, which traditionally ought to start at Midnight.
GO TO CHURCH!
Participate in the sacred rites. We are our rites. Let God give you what … Continue reading
I seriously object to the dopey notion that liturgy has to made “understandable”. First, liturgical worship involves mysteries, such as that one about Christ turning the substances of bread and wine into His Body and Blood. How is that easy? … Continue reading
It is customary on Holy Thursday, after the jubilant Gloria introduction, to stop ringing bells in church during the Triduum and, instead, use some kind of clacking or ratchet noisemaker called a crotalus in Latin. More on those HERE.
Here’s a poll. At your … Continue reading
UPDATE 13 March:
I am delighted that one of my priest friends is able to come to help with our Triduum! However, I really would like to have one more priest come.
So, I’ll give in to the temptation. Fathers?
Originally Published on: Mar 7, 2017
I … Continue reading
Palm Sunday marks the beginning of Holy Week. The Sacred Triduum (triduum from tres dies – “three day space”) were once days of obligation when people were freed from servile work so that they could attend the liturgies, once celebrated … Continue reading
From a reader…
I would like to know why many parishes do not offer the Sacrament of Penance on Holy Saturday? There’s only 1 parish in my area that hears confessions on Holy Saturday and I often wonder is there a … Continue reading
From a reader…
Is there a specific rule banning the use of the pre-55 holy week rites, and really the pre-55 missal as a whole? Or may a priest use it if he desires?
Some say, and with good reason, that the pre-1955 rites … Continue reading
It may be that some of you will travel, even considerable distances, to participate in the rites of the Sacred Triduum celebrated in a worthy manner.
I have on more than one occasion over the years, as a guest celebrant for … Continue reading
Thinking ahead to the Triduum? Perhaps it will be this year that Father changes out the bells after the Gloria on Holy Thursday to the crotalus or “ratchet”, the harsh wooden noisemaker.
In some places a wooden gizmo with little hammers or … Continue reading
Today’s prayer has roots in the Padua manuscript the so-called Gregorian Sacramentary and also the manuscript at Bergamo. It was not in any edition of the pre-Conciliar Missale Romanum.
Maiestatem tuam, Domine, suppliciter imploramus,
ut, quanto magis dies salutiferae festivitatis accedit,
tanto devotius ad eius celebrandum
proficiamus … Continue reading
Please use the sharing buttons! Thanks!
From a reader:
Praised by Jesus Christ! Thank you for your blog. Our small parish needs to find a tennabrae hearse. I am searching on ebay and various church supply websites, but I need your expert … Continue reading
I will let you liturgical experts and interested dabblers provide this good reader with some help.
I may be missing something, but I can’t see much of a problem. You readers might see differently.
From a reader:
A question for you and your … Continue reading
From a reader:
As it is Lent, it is undoubtedly time to ask the question of women having their feet washed on Holy Thursday. I am well aware (from reading your blog) that it is contrary to law and custom to … Continue reading