Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- sallyr: I work at a facility with hundreds of developmen tally disabled adults. There is no way we could evacuate them in one of these scenarios you are discussing . Many of them have very complex...
- Carrie: Yes, MrsMacD, the Old Testament is full of stories of righteous battles. That reflected the Jewish understand ing of God. But Jesus came and set us straight (read Mt 5:38-48). As Fr. Z...
- Carrie: And— true. It’s the opinion of most of the world. [?] America has become a joke, that puts guns before life itself. But, “sending thoughts and prayers” takes care of things and absol...
- Andreas: Ave Crux wrote, “It makes you wonder if such correction s harden them and they use it as an excuse to stop coming to Mass altogether , then YOU feel guiltyR 21;. Thank you for...
- Ave Crux: I have three heartbreak ing stories on what Communion in the hand leads to — and they’ ;re reality, not “Tra ditional Catholic hyperbole& #8221; 1) I entered a church for...
- Fr. Reader: @robtbrown I cannot, obviously, affirm the sin of no one. I should have used different words in what I wrote. And yes, the Quo Primus is a very strong text.
- hwriggles4: While I am disgusted with the Boy Scouts at the National Level, I do know some Scout leaders who want to keep their troops intact. One Scout leader a few years ago told me he was going...
- JARay: I am horrified to read of this happening. I well remember procession s in the streets outside our church on the Feast of Corpus Christi when I was a boy. But this never happens now. One big...
- Carrie: USA motto: “In Guns We Trust.” [That̵ 7;s petty and cheap.] I prefer this: “Put away your sword. Those who live by the sword, die by the sword.” (Jesus) Or, “They will beat their swords...
- hwriggles4: While I have not heard of priests refusing to baptize babies (unless the parent (s) did not express a sincere commitment to raise the baby in the faith), I for one didn’ ;t realize...
- Midwest St. Michael: Joy65 says: “Our Lord when received should be received with the recipient on his/her knees. He deserves that much and more.̶ 1; Absolutely ! Or, at the very least,...
- MrsMacD: Carrie, I struggled with this myself, until I read the old testament. Perhaps watching the movie, “The Hidden Rebellion, ” would help you to put things into perspectiv e....
- Joe in Canada: I’m reading “Euc haristic Miracles 8221; by Joan Carroll Cruz. It’s amazing how many of the miracles happened after someone received Communion the way they did...
- Joe in Canada: I guess this means that those in the Ordinary Form can no longer have the option of Pentecost Monday which is mentioned in the Missal. I guess we can take “or even Tuesday...
- StephenCordova: The hymns for the office of readings and matins are Latin translatio ns of lines 1-39 from canto 33 of Dante’s _Paradiso_ , Bernard of Clairvaux’ s salutation of the Virgin.
- Semper Gumby: Fr. Z: Amen. robtbrown and TonyO: Good point. If I could suggest a BOB item for firewood and shelter-bu ilding: an axe, but if awkward to carry, a hatchet. Carrie: In the 5th century...
- maternalView: I normally sit up front for Mass and usually close my eyes to pray after Communion so I’m less distracted by the large number of people passing by as it’s a large church...
- David L Alexander: The form of emergency preparedne ss known as “bug ging out” associated with so-called “pre ppers̶ 1; requires an investment of time, talent, and treasu...
- JabbaPapa: He received the so-called “Last Rites” in unimprovab ly canonical manner That is to say : after his Confession . Go to Confession !!
- JabbaPapa: This blog post provides some simply fascinatin g insight into the origins of Monseigneu r Lefèbvre 8217;s slide from sheer, understand able utter frustratio n into his personal Act of...
- JabbaPapa: The very *last* time that I took the Communion in the hand (though in purely technical theology it can never be defined as an abuse as such), is the only time in my life that our Lord...
- Elizzabeth: When my son was 2, we often went to weekday Mass in an old peopleR 17;s home run by the Little Sisters of the Poor. After Mass my little lad liked to help clear away the number cards...
- TonyO: It would take an army of eucharisti c supervisor s to prevent people from returning to the pews without first consuming the host. My parish does use 2 ushers as Eucharisti c watchers to help...
- David L Alexander: If the good Father will indulge me, I neglected to mention that the Federation of North American Explorers is affiliated with the Internatio nal Union of Guides and Scouts of...
- Ages: No more statements or appeals. It is past time for the bishops to do their jobs and command priests to distribute the Eucharist on the tongue only, and depose those priests who will not. And...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- WDTPRS – Pentecost Sunday: that strong stable edge
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- BACK IN PRINT! The Heresy of Formlessness
- My View For Awhile: Creston Edition
- “I used to think hosts found on floors was Traditional Catholic hyperbole…”
- Monday after Pentecost: Memorial of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Mother of the Church – TEXTS
- Bp. Schneider’s terrific talk in Rome – ACTION ITEM!
- ASK FATHER: As a lay woman, should I have a “Mass kit” in my “Bug Out Bag”?
- @JamesMartinSJ can also amuse
- I have bad news and good news: Scouts and Troops
- Darío Card. Castrillón Hoyos, former Pres. of the Pont. Comm. “Ecclesia Dei” – RIP
- Bp. Schneider on the Met “Gay-la”
- BOOKS RECEIVED: Peter Kreeft and 2018 Ignatius Pew Missal
- VIDEOS: Lessons in how properly to fold a cassock
- VIDEO: Military pilgrimage to Lourdes
- Fascinating and sad: transcript of 1976 meeting of Paul VI and SSPX Archbp. Lefebvre
- A light TEOTWAWKI moment
- @ArchbishpSample to make liturgical changes in the @archpdx
- “The Council that might have been…” but wasn’t.
- INTERNET PRAYER UPDATE: MALAYALAM
- Justice Thomas delievers commencement address
- ASK FATHER: Timing of announcements during Holy Mass
- ASK FATHER: Religious Ed teacher controls First Communion
- My View For Awhile: Domum
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- Sad: “Cranmer tables” in the Pantheon and many great Roman churches
- ¡Hagan lío! Wherein Fr. Z is pretty angry and wants to fight back
- ASK FATHER: Stuck at work for all Sunday obligation Masses
- Some Views From The Journey: Rome again – UPDATED
- Beans, the Lord’s Ascension and You
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
I travel a good deal. As I get older, it takes more of a toll. My main airline - sigh - is Delta. Were I to get some Gift Cards for Delta, I could more easily upgrade for longer flights. I'm just sayin'. I'd be much obliged. HERE
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
A book by an old friend…
Tag Archives: Universae Ecclesiae
For some reason I have had several emails recently – from far-flung places – which all have to do with a common problem that some people are encountering in making petitions for celebrations of Mass in the Extraordinary Form.
They are … Continue reading
From a young reader:
I am a sixteen year old boy, who has requested a TLM mass at my parish a number of times unofficially. After getting several unsatisfactory results, I decided to send a short concise petition to the bishop, … Continue reading
From a reader:
I have read web sites from FSSP Traditional parishes that indicate women are to cover their heads during Mass. My understanding is that the requirement was removed from Canon Law, thus it is no longer a sin to … Continue reading
I am on the road, and it is hard for me to work with this, but here is a first go at something which I think is pretty important.
The following article copy-pasted from the PDF of the 8/23/2012 edition of … Continue reading
A bishop explicitly charges all his seminarians to learn the Extraordinary Form. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
For your Brick by Brick file.
In another entry I answered a question from a lay person who desired to pray for a priest as he learns the Extraordinary Form of Holy Mass at the request of his bishop. It occurs … Continue reading
QUAERITUR: Can diocesan priests use the Extraordinary Form Carmelite or Dominican or Cistercian Rite?
From a reader:
I recently read an article about a Carmelite priest who had to jump through all these hoops to get permission to celebrate the Carmelite rite Mass, but then the article pointed out later that, under Universae Ecclesiae 34, … Continue reading
Our friends at Rorate have publicized that a French bishop, Most. Rev. Jean Bonfils, Emeritus of Nice went to an SSPX chapel in Ajaccio, Corsica and administered the sacrament of Confirmation to 19 people.
It seems that the local SSPX priest … Continue reading
From a seminarian (edited):
Fr. Z, thanks for all you do. [My pleasure.] I have learned much from reading your blog over the last few years, and I continue to come here as a seminarian for trusted commentary on different issues. I have … Continue reading
During an ordination, someone must stand up in front of the ordaining bishop and attest that seminarians are properly formed and educated and suitable for ordination.
However, seminarians of the Latin Church are not being trained in the whole of the … Continue reading
From a reader:
The New Missal has started in my parish and the music is atrocious. I had to go to the local public high school play to hear Gregorian Chant! No regard for GIRM #41. My Bishop refuses to allow the extraordinary … Continue reading