Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!Enter Amazon through my link, the image below (they took away our search box!), and I will get a small percentage of what you spend. (Pssst - Can't see it? Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
Here's a generic "catholic" search start point for Amazon:
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Ave Crux: Bishop Serratelli , of the Paterson Diocese in NJ, also asks each year that all the parishes in the diocese schedule Confession s on Monday of each week during Lent in addition to their...
- Gus Barbarigo: Today (Feb. 21st) is the feast of another very timely saint, Peter Damian: https://ww w.lifesite news.com/n ews/interv iew-how-st .-peter-da mian-confr onted-the- plague-of- homose...
- tho: The real harm of watering down the teachings of the church, is to the average pew sitter, who wants to obey the undiluted teaching of our Lord. What these half witted liberal prelates are...
- JesusFreak84: I wouldnR 17;t even send my kids (if I had any :( ) to a Catholic school that required government certificat ion of teachers. If I wanted my kids to be taught by government -appr...
- adriennep: Don’t forget that EWTN’s Michael Warsaw was appointed to the Vatican’s Secretaria t for Communicat ions/Media as a consultor& #8230;at the same time last April as Fr. James Martin, and...
- tamranthor: So, if my “liv ed experience ” (as if there were any other form of experience ) tells me that the Magisteriu m of the Church is correct, and we should all strive to conform...
- Emilio: I was a lay MC at the National Shrine for several years. I have known both the current and previous rectors, and I can assure anyone that they are RUTHLESS climbers, with little to no...
- Benedict Joseph: Mother Angelica gave EWTN to the laity in order that they would be out of the reach of nefarious clerics. She did right. God willing the men and women entrusted with her legacy...
- David: Even when you do your best you need also to do some basic catechesis though. I was not in a pharisaica l huff, but rather sort of sad to observe that when the pastor of my territoria l...
- jaykay: And yet, the “liv ed experience ” of those faithful Catholics who, in good conscience , decide that they can be fruitful and have many children is dissed. “Lik e rabbits...
- David: I applaud EWTN for their willingnes s to prove people wrong who used to dismiss them as wimpy neo-cons. Michael Matt said something funny on one of his clips, that you know things must...
- David: Cardinal MüllerR 17;s remarks are, I think, the boldest thing he has said yet about the vagaries of the current papacy. We can’ t know who the electors will end up being at the next...
- jaykay: In the words of the Foundress herself: “I’l l blow the damn thing up before you get your hands on it.” Or: “Mol on labe” ; How little things change in 20 years. Or 2000.
- AA Cunningham: My “dec ision of conscience ” tells me that there will be no sin or secular crime committed if I steal the 2018 Easter and Christmas collection s from Chicago 217;s...
- scotus: The late Fr Thomas Dubay published the first edition of his book, “Authentic ity – A Biblical Theology of Discernmen t” in 1977. (There was another version published in 1997.) Thus he wrote...
- ChrisP: Its funny how a member of the IMF tweets about Arroyo and Spadero backs it up, all around the same time that a direct link to PF and potential dodgy use of Papal Foundation funds emerges...
- Kent Wendler: If I should ever personally meet His Eminence, Cdl. Cupich, I would like to invite him to pastorally accompany me on a discernmen t of the meaning of the parallel verses of Matthew...
- Semper Gumby: cpt-tom: I agree. Fallibilis simo: Perhaps, instead of “ 230;contra dicting the very spirit Pope Francis called for” , these people such as Fr. Spadaro and Annett are...
- gaudete: From USCCB (http://ww w.usccb.or g/about/di vine-worsh ip/policie s/minor-ba silica.cfm ) “Nor ms concerning minor basilicas were establishe d after the Second Vatican Council in the...
- LarryW2LJ: “The ir decisions of conscience represent God’s personal guidance for the particular ities of their lives. In other words, the voice of conscience – the voice of God.” ; I may...
- LarryW2LJ: Seems to me that Fr. Spadaro is choosing to forget or ignore that Scripture passage about throwing stones.
- Antonin: As early as 1816, the constituti on, for example, in the state of Indiana to provide, by law, “for a general and uniform system of Common Schools, wherein tuition shall be without...
- GregB: Isn’ t conscience a form of private revelation ? If so, isn’ t it subordinat e to the public revelation and the perennial Magisteriu m of the Church?
- ChiaraDiAssisi: @ Anita Mopre, O.P… I laughed out loud. Thank you. Yes, that “twe et” so appropriat ely named at the moment, screams of panic. How unattracti ve. Seriously bizzaro...
- rtjl: What’ ;s that voice saying? Yes, What’ ;s it saying? Oh, yes. That’ ;s it. “You will not die; for God knows that when you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will...
CLICK and say your daily offering!
- Fr. Murray on “lived experience”, “accompaniment”, “conscience”
- More news from the New catholic Red Guard
- Making the Church appealing. What “sells”?
- LENTCAzT 2018 08 – Wednesday in the 1st Week of Lent: Never ending combat
- 20 Feb – Feast of Sts Francisco and Jacinta of Fatima
- Of “paradigm shift” interest
- Spain: young people dancing a jota in reparation for blasphemy against the Blessed Virgin
- Mega-Masses and too many Hosts
- The State v. Self-Reliance
- LENTCAzT 2018 07 – Tuesday in the 1st Week of Lent: subtle temptation
- Attacks on the family
- My View For Awhile: Capital Edition
- Books for boys. Suggested titles and an additional point.
- LENTCAzT 2018 06 – Monday in the 1st Week of Lent: “I warned you!”
- Wherein Fr Longenecker schools @JamesMartinSJ
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- WDTPRS 1st Sunday of Lent (N.O.): The Lenten “Sacrament”
- LENTCAzT 2018 05 – 1st Sunday of Lent: Anger and Reason
- Commandments are NOT mere “ideals” from which some are excused because, “They’re tooo haaard!” Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- JUST TOO COOL – Cops, ashes, and podcasts
- VIDEO Fr. Murray and Prof. Royal on some tough issues
- LENTCAzT 2018 04 – Ash Saturday: Getting ready for… it.
- Pontifical Requiem Mass for a great lover of the Church’s sacred liturgy
- LENTCAzT 2018 03 – Ash Friday: Grant me a little more time
- Role of #MSM in mass shootings: If it bleeds, it leads. Angry @fatherz asks fearful questions
- Wherein Fr. Z rants in the wake of the Florida school mass murder
- Friday after Ash Wednesday: Feast of the Crown of Thorns
- LENTCAzT 2018 02 – Ash Thursday: What you are I was, what I am you shall be.
- Your #AshWednesday Sermon Notes #ashtag – AUDIO Fr Z
- Ash Wednesday, Fasting, Abstaining, and You – with notes on alligator, endothermic moonfish, and muskrat
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
A book by an old friend…
Tag Archives: USCCB
I was alerted to something interesting on the website of the USCCB. The bishops posted a letter signed by religious leaders of various groups. HERE My emphases.
Created Male and Female: An Open Letter from Religious Leaders
December 15, 2017
As leaders … Continue reading
Today’s must fulfill assignment is to go to Catholic World Report and to read thoroughly Carl Olsen’s piece about lib aspirations for the USCCB election of the Pro-Life committee chair and their subsequent spittle-flecked nutty.
Olsen brings in the analysis of several other writers, … Continue reading
In what he surely thought was a serious analysis from High Atop The Thing, over at Fishwrap, Michael Sean Winters, the Wile E. Coyote of the catholic Left and one of the New catholic Red Guards, looked at the beginning of the USCCB’s … Continue reading
The Bolletino today shows that His Holiness had a meeting with the heads of dicasteries of the Roman Curia this morning.
Does this mean anything?
It is particularly interesting in that it happened directly on the heels of the public release … Continue reading
Jesuit Thomas Reese, who was sacked from his post as editor of Amerika Magazine by the directive of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, has a piece today at the Fishwrap (aka National Schismatic Reporter) in which he reprimands … Continue reading
From the USCCB:
WASHINGTON—The U.S. Supreme Court decision, June 26, interpreting the U.S. Constitution to require all states to license and recognize same-sex “marriage” “is a tragic error that harms the common good and most vulnerable among us,” said Archbishop Joseph … Continue reading
The Obama Administration’s war on religion continues unabated.
From Catholic News Agency:
Obama administration announces new HHS mandate rules
Washington D.C., Aug 22, 2014 / 10:33 am (CNA/EWTN News).- The Department of Health and Human Services issued on Friday new rules regarding its … Continue reading
There has been some heated discussion about how the USCCB did or could have been more or less supportive of Obamacare… which we should really all be calling the “AFFORDABLE” Care Act, perhaps with a quizzical twist of “uptalk”.
Over at … Continue reading
Remember that piece in which Adam Shaw, a writer for Fox blasted Pope Francis in Evangelii gaudier? HERE It seems he also wrote a bit for the Catholic News Service, bankrolled by the USCCB.
It seems that CNS let him go. HERE
Criticize the … Continue reading
One can understand that a person might be slightly deranged because of sorrow and grief, but this is an evil act.
This is the sort of thing that will occur more and more often.
Michigan woman sues U.S. Catholic bishops over miscarriage … Continue reading
Here are a couple of POLLS for you readers in these USA.
And as you choose your answer, I want you all to remember the Nuns on the Bus, the CHA and Sr. Keehan, and the USCCB, all of whom lobbied … Continue reading
I hope the libs at the NSR are celebrating Archbp. Kurtz’s support, as a “moderate”, of the older, traditional form of the Roman Rite.
True “moderates” are also true “traditionalists”.
Our long-time reader, friend, benefactor, commentator here Henry Edwards guides the Knoxville … Continue reading
Our friend The Motley Monk has some observations about tax reform, the USCCB and government funding of charities. Here is the first part:
If you’re really interested in tax reform, the USCCB and Catholic Charities USA may not be…
A Wall Street Journal op-ed … Continue reading
From Sr. Mary Ann Walsh at the USCCB HQ:
American Girl Catholic School Uniform
Catholic schools are in vogue. Proof: You can buy a Catholic school uniform for an American Girl doll. In your favorite plaid. You can find them for Barbie … Continue reading
U.S. Bishops call for project of prayer, fasting to begin 30 DECEMBER to defend Life, Marriage, Religious Liberty – FR Z POLL
Please use the sharing buttons! Thanks!
Did you know that the Bishops of these United States of America have asked for Catholics to pray, fast and abstain on Fridays, and take part in a holy hour each month?
Call To … Continue reading
Card. Dolan at USCCB about HHS mandate: Bishops will “not violate our consciences and not obey what we consider to be something immoral”
Conference of Catholic Bishops on HHS Mandate: We Will ‘Not Obey What We Consider to Be Immoral’
(CNSNews.com) – Cardinal Timothy Dolan, president of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops, says the Roman Catholic Church will continue to resist the … Continue reading
From The Catholic Thing:
Quo Vadis – O, Bishops?
By Robert Royal
I am not a big fan of taking the long view. It may sometimes be wise, even necessary, in human terms. But I’m far more attracted by what is probably the … Continue reading
Since the USCCB fall plenary meeting is going on, I wanted to remind you of these “Pray For Our Bishops” car magnets:
Please use the sharing buttons! Thanks!
I am pretty cynical about USCCB meetings. But this time I am pretty fired up.
I just listened to Cardinal Dolan’s address as President of the conference.
In his address His Eminence spoke about Christ, first and … Continue reading