Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- RichR: 1 parish priest in our 2000 family parish. He hears confession s Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday. If you need an appointmen t, he has a prie dieu and screen in his office for “walk-ins” . He...
- BH: I’m in a similar sized parish as you described, Roy, but we have confession offered twice per day, 6 days per week. And I’ve seen our pastor requested to do confession at other...
- semperficatholic: This past week my Pastor had 14 hours of scheduled Confession s and then if you ask to go to Confession off schedule he hears your confession . He is the only priest in the...
- Roy Hobbs: I used to be a parishione r at the largest parish in the MSP diocese at the Basilica of St. Mary, located in Minneapoli s, Minnesota. Per its own website, it boasts of over 6,700 famil...
- Tara Tremuit: Wow, Deacon Nicholas McScrooger smugson! This choir has no control over when churches schedule their Liturgies. Clevelande rs know that when you want a good choir for your litur...
- Southern Catholic: They should be charged with crimes, the Church needs to stop allowing internal discipline . Also, who is paying back the money? This says the order(whic h is right), another...
- RKR: Timely for me too! thank you! I really appreciate these daily offerings. Listening via this site. (With MM coffee, Cowboy Blend)
- JonPatrick: Thanks Father. Patience is something that I lack and constantly need to ask God’ s help for so this was timely.
- DMorgan: Thank you Father.
- KateD: *Father Groeschel
- HvonBlumenthal: There are pockets of resistance in Germany. If any of your readers is in Berlin, call on the Institut St Phillip Neri, which has been offering the TLM with papal blessing since even...
- Deacon Nicholas: An impressive and beautiful stunt, but still a stunt. The Eucharisti c assembly is not for stunts. With which assembly of the people of God did they commune as the Body of Christ?
- Fr. Kelly: HvonBlumen thal Re: ius it seems to me undeniable that the later renderings of ius as “rig ht” have their origins in earlier uses of it as “law ”. It is that...
- Charivari Rob: …Eri c Idle and Robbie Coltrane being an entirely different category, of course.
- Charivari Rob: Argument Clinician, thank you. After Father Z’s remark, I went back to look for the article I had originally seen. I can’ t remember which site it was, but it had a photo...
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: Semper Gumby says: Tracer Bullet I looked for him today at the usual secret drop place (near the hot dog stand). He must have gone to pick up more heaters. Maybe Friday, same...
- Anita Moore, O.P.(lay): We had a prominent member of that religious order in my area who was a big-time advocate for women priests, and specifical ly, for the view that it was wrong for the Church...
- Anita Moore, O.P.(lay): I read somewhere that, on account of its structural integrity, butter lettuce makes a highly effective hamburger bun (for those of us who need to not eat (ordinary) bread).
- FrAnt: In another post, Fr. Z. notes a LifeSite interview with Cardinal Muller where the Cardinal notes that some are trying to make “hom osexuals 8221; a third species next to men and...
- LarryW2LJ: During the first week of our Advent Bible study, my ears perked up when it was mentioned that it was 21 centuries between the Call of Abraham and the birth of Jesus. and now it̵...
- scotus: This story made the front page of a British newspaper. I can’ t remember which one but it was a tabloid.
- Legisperitus: Apropos of that, this is pretty cool: https://ww w.lifesite news.com/n ews/archeo logists-so dom-and-go morrah-lit erally-des troyed-by- fire-and-b rimstone
- Semper Gumby: Back in the 1970s a Leftist nun spent most of her time writing and distributi ng unhinged screeds against men. When asked why she didn’ ;t leave the Church she replied: Because...
- monstrance: Oh, I guess we do have one brave Shepherd – But he went into hidingR 30;..
- monstrance: Joe, Whatever happened to the “Fraternal Correction ” ? Pray for just one brave Shepherd.
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- Priests and bishops who are probably going to Hell
- End of year 2018 charitable giving and YOU. A suggestion.
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 12: Patience
- Holy Face of Manoppello, Sankt Gallen, “designer babies”
- Card. Müller’s interview about Church and theology in Germany
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 11: Hark! a gladsome voice is thrilling
- TERRIFIC! School Choir accomplished, back to back, Solemn Roman and Eastern liturgy!
- NYC Day 1: Of Borscht and Buttons
- “If only women were in leadership positions…”
- Anglicans to mock baptism with transgender ceremony
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 10: If a liturgy looks silly, you can close your eyes. But if it sounds silly…
- A priest’s thought after going ‘ad orientem’
- Priests and Latin. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- My View For Awhile: ”Festina Lente” Edition
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 09: Proper Marian Devotion
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- Of getting Latin wrong, corrections, and of priests and their Latin or lack thereof
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 08: Egocentrics and God’s gifts
- A conflicted Fishwrap v. Francis on homosexuals in seminary and priesthood
- On this day in 2005 …
- Help a young entrepreneur!
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 07: “If she had not given her ‘Fiat!’…”
- 7 Dec – Titanic, intriguing St Ambrose of Milan, bishop and doctor
- UPDATE on injuries and recovery with heartfelt thanks
- Solemn Requiem for @BishopMorlino in @MadisonDiocese
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 06: Our Lord will appear in His humanity so that He can be seen by the just and the wicked
- VIDEO – Funeral of @BishopMorlino of @MadisonDiocese
- Latin Mass Society of England & Wales @latinmassuk – Re-upping!
- Recent Registration
- ADVENTCAzT 2018 05: The priest, John the Baptist, points toward Jesus
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Tag Archives: USCCB
It think it may be up to us – up to you and me.
The US Bishops begin their annual November meeting today in Baltimore.
There will be protesters around the meeting, as there should be. Some, seemingly within the USCCB … Continue reading
An image to consider.
Two rays extending from the same point get farther and father apart the longer they extend. If the one ray is the trajectory of Christ’s true Church, then the other ray, that departs from it, get’s … Continue reading
At First Things more good advice has been offered to their collective Excellencies before their upcoming plenary meeting, which begins next Monday. Just the other day, another piece of advice was extended by a writer at The Catholic Thing. HERE
However, at … Continue reading
“I had the image of a bishop sinking head downward…. sinking… sinking… clawing at the heavy miter on his head”
Even as I stared at the title of the piece I am about to recommend, this passage from Luke about millstones came to mind. I had the image of a bishop sinking head downward…. sinking… sinking… clawing at the … Continue reading
I was alerted to something interesting on the website of the USCCB. The bishops posted a letter signed by religious leaders of various groups. HERE My emphases.
Created Male and Female: An Open Letter from Religious Leaders
December 15, 2017
As leaders … Continue reading
Today’s must fulfill assignment is to go to Catholic World Report and to read thoroughly Carl Olsen’s piece about lib aspirations for the USCCB election of the Pro-Life committee chair and their subsequent spittle-flecked nutty.
Olsen brings in the analysis of several other writers, … Continue reading
In what he surely thought was a serious analysis from High Atop The Thing, over at Fishwrap, Michael Sean Winters, the Wile E. Coyote of the catholic Left and one of the New catholic Red Guards, looked at the beginning of the USCCB’s … Continue reading
The Bolletino today shows that His Holiness had a meeting with the heads of dicasteries of the Roman Curia this morning.
Does this mean anything?
It is particularly interesting in that it happened directly on the heels of the public release … Continue reading
Jesuit Thomas Reese, who was sacked from his post as editor of Amerika Magazine by the directive of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, has a piece today at the Fishwrap (aka National Schismatic Reporter) in which he reprimands … Continue reading
From the USCCB:
WASHINGTON—The U.S. Supreme Court decision, June 26, interpreting the U.S. Constitution to require all states to license and recognize same-sex “marriage” “is a tragic error that harms the common good and most vulnerable among us,” said Archbishop Joseph … Continue reading
The Obama Administration’s war on religion continues unabated.
From Catholic News Agency:
Obama administration announces new HHS mandate rules
Washington D.C., Aug 22, 2014 / 10:33 am (CNA/EWTN News).- The Department of Health and Human Services issued on Friday new rules regarding its … Continue reading
There has been some heated discussion about how the USCCB did or could have been more or less supportive of Obamacare… which we should really all be calling the “AFFORDABLE” Care Act, perhaps with a quizzical twist of “uptalk”.
Over at … Continue reading
Remember that piece in which Adam Shaw, a writer for Fox blasted Pope Francis in Evangelii gaudier? HERE It seems he also wrote a bit for the Catholic News Service, bankrolled by the USCCB.
It seems that CNS let him go. HERE
Criticize the … Continue reading
One can understand that a person might be slightly deranged because of sorrow and grief, but this is an evil act.
This is the sort of thing that will occur more and more often.
Michigan woman sues U.S. Catholic bishops over miscarriage … Continue reading