Epiphany shopping? Plan ahead. When you shop…... through Amazon, please, come here first? Enter Amazon through my search box. I'll then get a small percentage of everything you buy. (Pssst - Can't see the search box? Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
A search box for Amazon UK is at the bottom of the blog.
Search Fr. Z’s Blog
- You keep this blog, and me, going. I pray for benefactors.
There is a subscription form at the bottom of this page!
- Patti Day said I smell smoke and it isn’t from candles or i...
- Mike said For my neighbor B., still recovering from a stroke...
- Mike said My parish, alas, does all 14. On a good note, the...
- Mike said For troubled marriages. I will pray for all these...
- SimonR said For me please that I would stop getting panic/anxi...
- brk said For S, who was laid off 2 years ago: that he would...
- DavidJ said For my wife who is due with our 5th child (3rd son...
- aviva meriam said For P, a Homeless Vet For J.S. that she and her fa...
- Elizabeth D said For J., a homeless man who is in the hospital For...
- Elizabeth D said I never thought about how our candle addiction is...
- Elizabeth D said Here in Madison, for a few years St Paul’s p...
- Elizabeth D said Probably a blessedly normal but less popular pope,...
- Kathleen10 said Nice, Long-Skirts. Merry Christmas to you and al...
- Fr. D. said This is an interesting post. When I was ordained...
- Fr. D. said No surprises in this post given the culture we liv...
- marcelus said Hurricane Francis.!! Ever thought what will come a...
- Mike said . . . It appears in every newspaper article. “Fath...
- PhilipNeri said During my studium years, we friars lived in a buil...
- TWF said As others have noted, it is proper to use “F...
- jplsr said You left out The worst. It appears in every newspa...
- Spade said Pour encourager les autres?
- Long-Skirts said SANCTUARY STARS To all my friends I cannot see I...
- Someone please be the Garrigue said I use the download so I can listen again.
- Glennonite said Thank you Father; ’tis a bitter-sweet thanks...
- KateD said Coming from a point of total ignorance, I have fou...
- OK_doc said My husband’s uncle was a priest, ordained in...
- Allan S. said Thank you Father – it sounds obvious when yo...
- Lyons said This should be required reading for young men̷...
- Henry Edwards said lampada: “Why would you kneel when the cruci...
- Allan S. said Yes Father, I listen to about half on an iPad. I...
My wish lists
The horse is made ready for the day of battle, but the victory belongs to the LORD.
- Proverbs 21:31
Support them with prayer and fasting.
"Let God arise! Let His enemies be scattered! Let those who hate him flee before His Holy Face!"
CLICK and say your Daily Offering!
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…... and there will be nearly 1,000,000 page loads this month.
A bit more food for thought…
“Only one sin is nowadays severely punished: the attentive observance of the traditions of our Fathers. For that reason the good ones are thrown out of their places and brought to the desert.”
- Basil of Caesarea - ep. 243
Help Monks in Wyoming, Fr. Z, and get great coffee too!
Food For Thought
“The legalization of the termination of pregnancy is none other than the authorization given to an adult, with the approval of an established law, to take the lives of children yet unborn and thus incapable of defending themselves. It is difficult to imagine a more unjust situation, and it is very difficult to speak of obsession in a matter such as this, where we are dealing with a fundamental imperative of every good conscience — the defense of the right to life of an innocent and defenseless human being.”
- St. John Paul II
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
A morsel for thought…
"If your work is strong enough for someone to hate you, it's strong enough for someone to love you. The middle is what you should fear."
- Sean McCabe @seanwes
- YOUR URGENT PRAYER REQUESTS
- “The sobs of that appalling infancy cleanse me, those tears wash away my sins.”
- Fanon of Christmas Past
- How to make your parish more self-centered!
- ADVENTCAzT 25: “If there is a child in your midst…”
- ASK FATHER: Signs of reverence for priests
- Look! Up in the sky! The Ursids are on us!
- ADVENTCAzT 24: Becoming Christian means leaving behind what everyone else thinks and wants
- ACTION ITEM! Send Fr. Z Christmas cards from around the world
- ASK FATHER: What am I supposed to do during Mass?
- Pope Francis greets Curia for Christmas, and rips them to shreds
- ADVENTCAzT 23: The sunrise of history, the mystery of God’s providence
- Just Too Cool: Polyphonic sacred music earlier than previously thought!
- ASK FATHER: Pyxes left in the choir loft after Communion
- NYC cops assassinated. Remarks and prayers.
- I read Mass this morning. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- Thursday Night Football Saturday. Hey! Wait a minute!
- ADVENTCAzT 22: Isaiah, John and Mary
- It’s. Another. Religion.
- ADVENTCAzT 21: The state of mortal sin
- A breakthrough!
- Tough love about the priest shortage
- Request for prayers
- My View For Awhile: Final Flights Edition
- WDTPRS 4th Sunday of Advent (2002MR): Seeing is believing.
- Past and present Vatican, Church involvement in Cuban affairs – Status quaestionis
- What kind of priest thought it was good to whitewash, trash statues, tear out altars?
- “Would it really be totally impossible to admit her to Communion?”
- ADVENTCAzT 20: “Through the figure of St. Joseph….”
- As Che and Fidel gaze on the scene….
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
Be a “Zed-Head”!
New Christmas Music CD from the only Catholic Boys Choir School in these USA!
Identity theft is a serious problem that you do NOT want to have. I use Lifelock.
Wyoming Catholic College!
A great place in Rome…
See my post about the Domus Australia HERE
More food for thought:
“I expect to die in bed, my successor will die in prison and his successor will die a martyr in the public square. His successor will pick up the shards of a ruined society and slowly help rebuild civilization, as the church has done so often in human history.”
Francis Card. George
Check out the Cardinal Newman Society feed!
I have been giving out these tougher-than-nails, no-nonsense Rosaries:
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
More food for thought…
"All laws which are repugnant to the Constitution are null and void."
- Marbury v. Madison, 5 U.S. 137, 176
Even More Food For Thought
"Men by their constitutions are naturally divided into two parties: 1. Those who fear and distrust the people, and wish to draw all powers from them into the hands of the higher classes. 2. Those who identify themselves with the people, have confidence in them, cherish and consider them as the most honest and safe, although not the most wise depositary of the public interests."
- Thomas Jefferson to Henry Lee, 1824. ME 16:73
Tag Archives: validity
From a reader…
I was Baptized in the Presbyterian Church and converted to the Catholic faith 9 years ago at the age of 9. Becoming very interested in my own baptism I watched a video of a Presbyterian ministerconferring baptism. He traced the … Continue reading
From a reader…
When making vows at a Catholic Wedding in a Catholic Church if a Groom genuinly beleives that the officiating priest at a wedding is the minister of the Sacrement of Matromony, and not the bride and groom (as … Continue reading
Ed Peters, distinguished canonist, has come out of hibernation to post this helpful distinction. See his outstanding blog In The Light Of The Law, where there is no open combox. Check with him often.
Confusing validity and sacramentality in marriage
by … Continue reading
As you know, for the consecration of the Eucharist to be VALID, we must use wine from grapes. It can be fortified wine, but it must be wine (HERE).
Today I received a link from a reader which I am compelled … Continue reading
From a reader:
Howdy Fr. Z [Fine, thanks!]
I had a question about fulfilling my Sunday Obligation at an SSPX chapel. First let me say, I am 100% with the bishops and the pope. I prefer the Latin Mass. I am about 50-60 minutes … Continue reading
From a reader:
First off is the wine to be consecrated have to be red and how much wine poured into the chalice is enough to make it a valid mass?
One of my priests told us if they don’t pour enough … Continue reading
From a reader:
While doing research I came across something that said that one of the faithful who knowingly receives a Sacrament from a priest without faculties commits a sin. I have always attended SSPX chapels and gone to confession there. … Continue reading
A few people asked me today via email about the validity of a baptism wherein someone used the hand of a dead person to pour the water, someone moving the hand.
A rare scenario, of course, and one that is surely … Continue reading
From a reader:
Dear Fr. Z
I recently went to confession, the priest said everything correctly (atleast, im pretty sure he did anyway) up until the part where he is suppose to say “I absolve you of you’r sins.” but, all he … Continue reading