Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Nan: He and his family, together with servants who died with them, are New Martyrs of Russia, first canonized by the Orthodox Church of America. He paid for rebuilding of the Russian Ortho...
- MrsMacD: Kerry; I love, love, love what David Warren wrote. So true. Poor people are happy. Poor people are humble. Poor people are generous. Stop scorning poor people. Stop scorning poverty. St....
- Semper Gumby: JesusFreak 84, Kerry, et al: Good points. Per Fr. Z, hopefully these people will repent and this “new spaperR 21; will be left on the ash-heap of history. The Fishwrap these...
- Andrew: Suburbansh e: “If we went back to pre-Trent practices of laypeople fasting from sex during all fasting times…. ” Also to married individual s abstaining from sex for at least...
- vetusta ecclesia: A letter in The Times (London) today points out that Nicholas II was not the last czar – he had abdicated in March 1917 in favour of his younger brother Michael, Michael II.
- Elizabeth D: Thank you Fr Kelly. I can imagine different reactions to things I wrote here. Most seemed to understand my intentions to be Good News. I do feel like I want to say my spiritual direc...
- teachermom24: The best marriage prep I have found is from a celibate priest, Karol Wojtyla, in his book Love and Responsibi lity.
- Greg Hlatky: Always nice to see priests looking priestly.
- TonyO: The number of children being born to practicing Catholics will outstrip those being born to liberals. True. But not as telling a point as we could wish: it is not only the family you are...
- TonyO: I don’ t know what country Julia_Augu sta comes from, but it sure wasn’ ;t the United States. In the States, the heavy-beat mantra (in earlier days) on men was to provide for...
- JesusFreak84: *indictmen ts sorry for spelling
- jhayes: Fr. Kelly wrote: I ask you, upon what evidence do you say that these three are not the same woman? In her liturgy and teaching of the Father, the Church has very much identified them for...
- Kerry: Wisdom from David Warren, April of 2014. https://ww w.davidwar renonline. com/2014/0 2/15/breed ing-instru ctions-rev isited/
- JesusFreak84: I’m just glad to read the comments above that sexual assault doesn̵ 7;t exclude a women from embracing this vocation. I’m not a victim of such a ghastly crime, thank...
- JesusFreak84: How much of the leftwing bend on Bishops staying around longer has to do with what type of man WANTS that kind of power? I know that, for most of the traditiona l priests I’...
- JesusFreak84: TLM, Canon preached about whether we’r e investing as much in our spiritual future as we do in our financial futures. (I might have smirked, having $0 saved for retirement at...
- JesusFreak84: Julia_Augu sta, abuse is a valid reason for a woman to leave her husband. (Not to divorce him, of course, but to physically separate.) Your analogies fail for the same reasons mass...
- Suburbanbanshee: If we went back to pre-Trent practices of laypeople fasting from sex during all fasting times̷ 0;. But the Church tried to be nice.
- Julia_Augusta: EmilB, I agree that abortion on demand is not the answer. But the Pill is, for many women. They have a husband who refuses to control himself. She is required to “submit to her...
- GM Thobe: It is important to note that marriage has as a primary end the procreatio n and education of children, and as subordinat e ends mutual aid and the quieting of concupisce nce. So begett...
- KateD: I inform my children that priests are princes of the Kingdom of Heaven right here on Earth. And… Jesus said in Heaven there is no marriage or divorce, so isn’ t it appropriat e...
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: southernpr iest: You might try Archbp. Carroll 217;s great prayer! HERE
- southernpriest: Beautiful prayer for priests, and I am going to put it in my bulletin. We recently had a past pastor, and a friend of mine, removed for accusation s with a young man; so it is even...
- iPadre: I think the left out two words! “Dis regard for” Humanae Vitae̵ 7;s ban on contracept ion causes human suffering. Think of all the young people who have become intrenched in...
- KateD: Omigosh! Chesterton 63! Right?!? Respectful ly, Kevin Cardinal Ferrall, is mistaken. I tell my children they will be called to either religious or married life. What is most important is to...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- 17 July 2018 – 100 years after
- Cobblestones, new vestments, and swag for Zed Heads
- ACTION ITEM! Spiritual Bouquet for Bp. Morlino
- More shallow, angry, cliché feminist rubbish from Fishwrap
- The demographics of church participation are shifting.
- ACTION ITEM! Urgent prayer request for a priest
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- “St Swithin’s day if thou be fair…”
- What priests can – with credibility – do in marriage preparation
- French stones and soutanes
- US Association of Consecrated Virgins condemns confusing new rules from Holy See
- What could possibly go wrong?
- ¡Hagan lío! in Poland. Young, and raising hell…. correction… razing Hell.
- WDTPRS – 15th Ordinary Sunday: We can stray off the path to the right or to the left.
- 12 July: Sts. Louis Martin and Marie-Azélie Guérin
- Does “Beans” @MassimoFaggioli undermine ‘Humanae vitae’?
- ASK FATHER: Mom baptized my child in the bathtub
- INTERESTING UPDATE – Pope Francis phones Gianni Vattimo, philosopher of “weak thought”
- SSPX ELECTS NEW SUPERIOR GENERAL – UPDATED
- Ex ore infantium perfecisti laudem
- ASK FATHER: Should a priest have a day off?
- ASK FATHER: Traditional Latin Mass in a Protestant church?
- Madame Defarge (@MichaelSWinters) is upset that people don’t find the Terror – applied to real people today – very funny.
- A little bright spot for your day, a discrete packet of energy for your mind.
- Fr. Perrone: The greatest weapon within the grasp of every Catholic is the keeping of a well-ordered soul
- “We have to learn how to be Roman priests again.” Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- Left freaks out over SCOTUS pick. Hilarious tweets ensue.
- New FSSP Superior General elected, SSPX is gathered, CSJC … we shall see.
- A mosque at the site of the Battle of Tours!
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Tag Archives: Vatican II
One of you readers recently sent me an interesting link to a page of the blog of Fr. Joseph Komonchak. Fr. Komonchak has provided the original – but rejected – schemata for the Second Vatican Council.
At some time you might … Continue reading
Dr. Peter Kwasniewski wrote to me the other day to alert me to his post at NLM about the Second Vatican Council and the Latin language. It is MUST READ reading. HERE
A taste to get you in…
The documents were compromises, … Continue reading
“Not all is well, nor should we pretend that it is — even if this means abandoning the ‘new Pentecost’ narrative of Vatican II”
At NLM, Peter Kwasniewski has a good piece. Here’s how it begins (with my emphases and comments):
Pope John Paul II and Pope Benedict XVI frequently acknowledged that the Church is in a state of serious crisis. [Is there any other … Continue reading
Around the time of the Second Vatican Council some of our sound practices were simply dropped, as if they were no longer needed. For example, the Leonine Prayers after Low Mass which included the Prayer to St. Michael the Archangel.
QUAERITUR: … Continue reading
Over at Crisis there is a great piece recounting memories of Vatican II times… those spirit-filled, halcyon days!
I particularly enjoyed this paragraph about the writer’s days in a Catholic girls school:
We attended Mass in Latin, sang hymns in Latin and … Continue reading
The English translation of The Memoirs of Louis Bouyer: From Youth and Conversion to Vatican II, the Liturgical Reform, and After has finally been produced. UK click HERE
Soon after it was put on sale, it because unavailable. Apparently the supply chain was … Continue reading
I saw a mordantly amusing comment from Fr. Hunwicke over at his blog HERE. He mused about the recent 50th anniversary of Paul VI going to a Roman parish to say Mass in Italian. Perpend. My emphases and added … Continue reading
“There was the Council of the Fathers – the real Council – but there was also the Council of the media.”
I was recently sent a link to a video of one of the last appearances of Benedict XVI during his pontificate. This is the famous audience during which he spoke about the “Council of the media”.
I think it is … Continue reading
As I thought… the next phase of the canonization of Vatican II will occur 19 October.
I wrote something about the miracle attributed to Paul VI the other day. Amazing, as they often are. HERE
From Vatican Radio:
(Vatican Radio) Pope Francis has … Continue reading
Harvesting Conciliar “fruits”: half of adults polled think Harry Potter and Hunger Games could be Biblical
It often seems that, these days, the odds are never in our favor.
I take time out from my furious conference preparation (on art coming up in Detroit) to present something that only confirms the great fruits of Vatican II and the magnificent … Continue reading
João Card. Braz de Aviz: “in these 50 years, consecrated life has followed a fruitful path of renewal”
Over at the best weekly in the UK, The Catholic Herald, I saw an article about religious life and the upcoming year for religious.
There is a comment about João Card. Braz de Aviz, Prefect of the Congregation for Religious:
“We are … Continue reading
Today is the 50th anniversary of the promulgation of Sacrosanctum Concilium.
I went back into the archives of the blog to find my post about…
UNIVERSAL SPIRITUAL-CARE REFORM FOR THE CATHOLIC CHURCH
Taking his cue from post-war European national … Continue reading